PDA

View Full Version : Steelers agree to 1 year deal with Jerricho Cotchery

PhantomJB93
08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
per ESPN - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6853722/jerricho-cotchery-lands-pittsburgh-steelers

I think this gives us the deepest receiving corps in the NFL

ETL
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Actually i like this signing. I think he will surprise a lot of people with his reliable hands.

Just saw him play in college in Espn classic catching passes from Philip Rivers.

Having just been spurned by the Ravens should help as well.

mizzouristeeler
08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Not a bad signing

Fire Arians
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
2 things this means:
- behind sanders there's nobody they really have faith in
- bye bye sweed (most likely, for him to get a chance he better heal up quick and show SOMETHING)
- battle will probably be cut (yay)

With that said, I'm not either for or against the pickup. Definitely leaning toward 'for' if this contract doesn't get in the way of us resigning troy and timmons which both should be top priority.

edit: actually thinking about it, this could be a smart pickup. in the super bowl, not having any dependable wr after sanders really hurt us. if the same were to happen this year, having a capable wr to fill in can only help. for 1.8 million i don't see it as a bad deal at all.

Steelboy84
08-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Pretty good deep threat. Probably a number 4 or 5. He and Brown might duke it out for #4. Wish we'd get a corner on the other side of Taylor.

ETL
08-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Battle is still on the team?

PhantomJB93
08-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I honestly think we should have like a receiver rotation and get Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery all regular playing time. Having Cotchery or Brown rot away as a #5 is just a waste.

ETL
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
I love Hines Ward to death but he may be the slowest receiver in the league. And if he gets injured there really is no one with experience. I expect Crotchery to back up Hines

Steelboy84
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I love Hines Ward to death but he may be the slowest receiver in the league. And if he gets injured there really is no one with experience. I expect Crotchery to back up Hines

Hines has never had lots of speed. He's been a possession receiver most of his career, a HOF possession receiver albeit.

ETL
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I honestly think we should have like a receiver rotation and get Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery all regular playing time. Having Cotchery or Brown rot away as a #5 is just a waste.

Agree 100%. Receivers get injured as much as anyone and we need everyone on the depth chart to contribute.

GMU Steeler
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Good depth move. Glad we got him and not the Ravens. Welcome Cotchery.

thumper
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Can he pass block and cover as a CB? I guess something is better than
nothing. It is telling, though. With our razor-thin DBs and OL, they feel
the need to sign a WR more than those units. Well, they've been ignoring
the need for a better OL for years, so this doesn't mean all that much. I think,
come our first preseason game, you are going to see jail break after jail
break with our 1st string OL, and then, maybe, they will f---ing get a clue, but
I doubt it.

Sixburgher
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
They did it just to annoy you, Dumper. It's a conspiracy!

thumper
08-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Good depth move. Glad we got him and not the Ravens. Welcome Cotchery.

The Ravens lost Mason right? They still got Bodin. But who else?
Lost Heap too? Oh great, I just read Cotchery is coming off back
surgery and is a big health risk. Awesome. F'in unreal.

Fire Arians
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM

arians probably likes this signing because he'll have a reason to go in the 4-5 wide a lot more (which he likes to do). I hate to say it but maybe arians could have a successful year as OC now that he has the personnel to pull off what he likes to do most.

vasteeler
08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Can he pass block and cover as a CB? I guess something is better than
nothing. It is telling, though. With our razor-thin DBs and OL, they feel
the need to sign a WR more than those units. Well, they've been ignoring
the need for a better OL for years, so this doesn't mean all that much. I think,
come our first preseason game, you are going to see jail break after jail
break with our 1st string OL, and then, maybe, they will f---ing get a clue, but
I doubt it.

idk i think the o-line is fine, they really started playing well towards the end of last season.

ebsteelers
08-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Dumper, shut up

you bitch that we didnt get plax, then we get someone who actually played last year and you still complain..

nice pick up

Wallabeast17
08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
i like it..
gives us depth and keeps the ratbirds from getting him. its not breaking the bank either. cant waint for the news of battle and sweed being cut. sweed has the potential but isnt panning out and we are over paying battler to warm the bench and do nothing on special teams

ebsteelers
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
wonder if sanders foot is worse then we think?

Fire Arians
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
wonder if sanders foot is worse then we think?

I think he'll be ready by the beginning of the season. my biggest fear is they rush him back too soon, gets the injury re-aggravated and he's out for the season or for longer than needed. I hope the coaching staff makes him sit until he's completely healed. He's already the established #3 wr and has had a full year to learn the offense, it's not like getting him back asap for preseason play is as critical as if it were his rookie season

Steel Peon
08-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I think this gives us the deepest receiving corps in the NFL
Agreed......now I can't wait to see how Deuce Arians attempts to squander it.

Steelersfan87
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
The only way that Battle gets cut is if Tyler Grisham outplays him on special teams or Limas Sweed finally becomes who he was in college. I don't expect either one to happen. The Cotchery signing, assuming that his passed physical means that there are no legitimate health concerns, is definitely a good signing, regardless. He is a huge insurance policy in the face of an aging Hines Ward, a concern with Sanders' feet, and the unlikelihood of Sweed putting it together. He is a veteran presence that can step up should the old guard (namely, Ward) suffer an injury and provide leadership to a comparatively very young group of players. I too agree that he should be played intermittently in a flexible position. I think it would be fine to play him as the 3rd receiver every now and then, or even the 2nd receiver while Ward catches a breather. By default, however, I feel that he should be looked at as a platoon number 4 guy with Antonio Brown.

kirklandrules
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I like the signing. This guy is a very reliable receiver who knows how to run after the catch. It would be fun to see, in those rare circumstances, the 5 wide set. How many teams have CBs that could hang with these guys ... especially if Ben extends the play? Imagine what an opposing D-coordinator thinks when, on 3rd and 2, he sees Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown and Cotchery all line up.

BIGNASTY91
08-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I think the offense this year is going to be really explosive. With all the talent at the WR spot the defense will be forced to play back for the recievers, and that will just open up the run game!! This year is going to be great!!!!!! :tt03:

thumper
08-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Dumper, shut up

you bitch that we didnt get plax, then we get someone who actually played last year and you still complain..

nice pick up

A fairly short, fairly slow WR in decline who has a bad back. Yea, E-bitch,
it's an extraordinary signing. He used to put up 80+ grabs a season
who is now down to 40. Bad back.

And care to wager on who has a bigger season? Plex or Jerricho?
Man up, or bitch out. Mix in some English classes once in a while.
Even go for a GED.

Sixburgher
08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Mix in some English classes once in a while.
Even go for a GED.

Speaking of which, what's with the writing in verse? You a poet?

MasterOfPuppets
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
i like this signing more than a did when they signed randal el and battle... i think cotchery;s lack of production the last few years had everything to do with the suck they've had at qb the last few years.

Wallabeast17
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I like the signing. This guy is a very reliable receiver who knows how to run after the catch. It would be fun to see, in those rare circumstances, the 5 wide set. How many teams have CBs that could hang with these guys ... especially if Ben extends the play? Imagine what an opposing D-coordinator thinks when, on 3rd and 2, he sees Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown and Cotchery all line up.

exactly! name me a team that could cover ward,wallace,sandersbrown, and cotchery all on the field at once? maybe the eagles but doubt it:tt02:

Wallace17
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Nobody cares, espically arians!

55BaileyFan
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Hope he does well, he played amazing in the game against Cleveland last year. He had two third and long receptions on the winning drive including one where he fell and hurt his groin...but he got up and still made the catch.

fer522
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
The Ravens lost Mason right? They still got Bodin. But who else?
Lost Heap too? Oh great, I just read Cotchery is coming off back
surgery and is a big health risk. Awesome. F'in unreal.

they singed Bodin too!!!!
i hate those bastards :banging: :chuckle:

ebsteelers
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
A fairly short, fairly slow WR in decline who has a bad back. Yea, E-bitch,
it's an extraordinary signing. He used to put up 80+ grabs a season
who is now down to 40. Bad back.

And care to wager on who has a bigger season? Plex or Jerricho?
Man up, or bitch out. Mix in some English classes once in a while.
Even go for a GED.

its comparing apples to oranges you moron. if plax is a number 2 on the jets, and jerricho is a 3 or 4 on the steelers... obviously plax would have a better season..

here you go with the english classes... you continue to get proven wrong on here, and that is your only comeback..

bad back. Sorry, that is not a complete sentence. He used to put up 80+ grabs a season
who is now down to 40. does not make much sense grammar-wise either.

Jerricho clearly checked out fine with our staff, who I trust a lot more than you dumper.

Furthermore,

to sign Plax to a 3 million dollar deal wasn't a risk? compared to a guy who is getting half that? a few years younger, fits better with us, wont be an off the field issue. actually played last year. o thats right. plax was no risk.. silly me

his 40 catches last year, were 40 more than plax....

Let me guess you get prison video tape to know he is going to be the same guy from a few years ago?

O wait, dont tell me one of the NFL coaches you know, knows a guy, who knows a guy, who was in the slammer with Plax and was throwing him fade routes during his hours out in the yard.

Since when did Plax become a speedster? Get a clue dumper.

DanRooney
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
This is a stupid move of epic proportions.

In a nutshell:
1. Either Sweed or Battle are gone. Hoping for the latter of course. But it doesn't really matter because the other one is going to be the #5 receiver and how many times do the Steelers use their 5th WR. (Answer: did you see Battle on the field last season?)
2. We have 4 slot receivers. Hines, Cotchery, Brown and Sanders
3. Brown will continue to be clueless on the field because he will see 2-3 snaps a game sitting behind Cotchery.
4. Speed kills: Ward and Cotchery to the rescue. I'm banking on Cotchery running a 4.8 40 and Ward coming in the 5.4-5.5 range.

DanRooney
08-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Awesome idea Bruce. 3rd and short and go 5 wide! Haven't seen that one before! :coffee:

sasquatch
08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I like the pick up. But he just had back surgery, how serious was that? Will he be able to stay healthy?

StainlessStill
08-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Wow, I thought for sure he was out of our hands. This gives us some veteran depth with Hines and Cotchery as well as a star in the making with Mike Wallace and 2nd year guys Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders still learning the ropes and having potential to make a significant impact.

Good stuff!

ebsteelers
08-11-2011, 05:38 PM
i guess some guy here have never heard of depth.

WickedSteel
08-11-2011, 05:43 PM
This is a stupid move of epic proportions.

In a nutshell:
1. Either Sweed or Battle are gone. Hoping for the latter of course. But it doesn't really matter because the other one is going to be the #5 receiver and how many times do the Steelers use their 5th WR. (Answer: did you see Battle on the field last season?)
2. We have 4 slot receivers. Hines, Cotchery, Brown and Sanders
3. Brown will continue to be clueless on the field because he will see 2-3 snaps a game sitting behind Cotchery.
4. Speed kills: Ward and Cotchery to the rescue. I'm banking on Cotchery running a 4.8 40 and Ward coming in the 5.4-5.5 range.

Totally agree. If he had speed and size I would say good signing but no go there.

Farrior_roirraW
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Wow, I thought for sure he was out of our hands. This gives us some veteran depth with Hines and Cotchery as well as a star in the making with Mike Wallace and 2nd year guys Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders still learning the ropes and having potential to make a significant impact.

Good stuff!

Yeah, I didn't think there was a chance we'd get him. I like the signing a lot. :tt03:

Rick5895
08-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I've never been a big Cotchery fan, but who knows he may work out. However, I would rather have seen a guy who has been in our system get the opportunity, like Grisham. But who's to say this works out, thats why we play the pre-season games.
Nothing ventured nothing gained, let's hope this is a big gain for us. And it's definately worth the gamble.

SoCalFan
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
i like this signing more than a did when they signed randal el and battle... i think cotchery;s lack of production the last few years had everything to do with the suck they've had at qb the last few years.

Thats what im talkin bout!Look who his QB was.As for his surgery,it was a comfort thing and not a "major"...As for the people mad about not going after other positions in need,when a player like this passes your door step,for the rite price you just cant say no! Im sure hes on a MISSION to prove hes a top tier reciever in this league...I hope this thread gets brought back up mid season so I can say I told you so,not only does he have a cool name,HES GOOD!:tt03:

Fire Arians
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
i bet wallace and ward's numbers woulda sucked if their qb was dirty sanchez too lol

pancake
08-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm luke warm on this signing... I would have rather brought back Flo, than have Cotch.

Fire Arians
08-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm luke warm on this signing... I would have rather brought back Flo, than have Cotch.

according to the training camp reports, colon is back and doing well. coaching staff is really pleased with how chris scott has come along. if these are both true then they probably don't need flozell.

seems like our line will be improved this year and we have some good o-line prospects this year. hear gilbert was able to handle his own against james harrison in drills

ben2hines=6
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
solid signing, but would have rather had flo as well tho

pancake
08-11-2011, 08:13 PM
according to the training camp reports, colon is back and doing well. coaching staff is really pleased with how chris scott has come along. if these are both true then they probably don't need flozell.

seems like our line will be improved this year and we have some good o-line prospects this year. hear gilbert was able to handle his own against james harrison in drills

I do hope the OL is better...

theplatypus
08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I do hope the OL is better...

I saw a quote by MT yesterday that Scott has a very real shot at beating out Foster for the starting RG spot.

LVSteelersfan
08-11-2011, 08:42 PM
The thing that is going to irritate me more than anything is when the Ravens pick up Sweed after we dump him and he turns into the next Derick Mason on us. I think he has had bad luck more than anything else and is not as bad as people keep saying he is. But I also believe we can't waste any more time on him.

steeltheone
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
solid signing, but would have rather had flo as well tho
We lucked out with that retread last year...Gotta be somebody younger available!

Kingmagyar
08-11-2011, 09:20 PM
This guy makes some great clutch catches. He will win a few ball games for us. And it's great he turned down the Ravens for us.

It will be interesting to see if the Jets do better with Plax then us with Jerricho.

Also would hate to see Sweed released and signed by the Ravens, and he turns out to be great.

LambertIsGod58
08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Not sure how I feel about this one....though I like the effort.

steeltheone
08-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I like the signing...I don't think our wideouts as a whole are as good as this board thinks...Jerricho should help!

Fire Arians
08-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I like the signing...I don't think our wideouts as a whole are as good as this board thinks...Jerricho should help!

true. sanders is injured and who knows before he makes a full recovery. brown is talented but i dont think he has the grasp of the offense yet.

after looking at how terrible the ravens secondary looked today, im all about upgrading wr corps to exploit that weakness of theirs. if you guys think our secondary is bad, i think theirs is 2x worse.

DanRooney
08-11-2011, 11:27 PM
This guy makes some great clutch catches. He will win a few ball games for us. And it's great he turned down the Ravens for us.

It will be interesting to see if the Jets do better with Plax then us with Jerricho.

Also would hate to see Sweed released and signed by the Ravens, and he turns out to be great.

Did he turn down them down or were the Ravens not interested? Hard to believe he'd turn them down when he'd at least be the #3 receiver. I've heard reports that Cotchery will be behind Sanders and Brown on the depth chart.

Fire Arians
08-11-2011, 11:53 PM
i think he's insurance just incase sanders isn't ready to go in week 1. they're playing it smart by not rushing sanders back into the lineup. look how losing sanders in the super bowl hurt us, we don't want that happening.

in any case, i hope this means arnaz battle is getting cut. talk about useless, the supposed special teams ace got less tackles than either sanders or antonio brown

WickedSteel
08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Seriously, what's up with some suggesting that the Steelers now have the most depth at WR in the NFL???

Are you saying that we have more depth than the Saints, Packers, Chargers or even the Ravens now?

Look, Cotchery isn't terrible but he isn't a game changer either. I seriously can't see him making a big impact on this team but hey, I will be rooting for him come September.

Farrior_roirraW
08-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Seriously, what's up with some suggesting that the Steelers now have the most depth at WR in the NFL???

Are you saying that we have more depth than the Saints, Packers, Chargers or even the Ravens now?

Look, Cotchery isn't terrible but he isn't a game changer either. I seriously can't see him making a big impact on this team but hey, I will be rooting for him come September.

:huh: Having a rookie possibly start is depth? :dang:

Buddha Bus
08-12-2011, 01:11 AM

The Ravens? Really? Name me 2 other receivers on that team besides Anquan Boldin that you think will make an impact this season.

I think our receiving corps is very deep right now with Ward, Sanders, Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, Battle and (one more chance!) Sweed. That's not even including Grisham who has been said to look pretty good this year in camp. Somebody will have to go. No room for all of them.

I'd put that WR group up against almost any other team in the league right now.

steve314
08-12-2011, 01:29 AM
exactly! name me a team that could cover ward,wallace,sandersbrown, and cotchery all on the field at once? maybe the eagles but doubt it:tt02:

They will only have to cover them for about 2 seconds before Ben starts running for his life, unfortunately.

solardave
08-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Hines has never had lots of speed. He's been a possession receiver most of his career, a HOF possession receiver albeit.

I'll take a slow Hines over a SMOKIN' :chuckle:
Holmes any day.

pancake
08-12-2011, 05:48 AM
I read on the PG that it's a multi year deal...

steelcity1974
08-12-2011, 08:46 AM
I don't get it. Does this mean Arians is going to be pass happy again this season? I would rather see us add depth at the OL. The other day, we had several guys go down, and by the end of practice we had only one OL standing. WTF? Ben will be running for his life again, so it won't matter how many good WRs we have.

theplatypus
08-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't get it. Does this mean Arians is going to be pass happy again this season? I would rather see us add depth at the OL. The other day, we had several guys go down, and by the end of practice we had only one OL standing. WTF? Ben will be running for his life again, so it won't matter how many good WRs we have.

WTF are you talking about? Last year our offense was about as balanced as they come (471RA- 479PA).

steelerforlife
08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Statistics say balance but...........tell me how many passing plays were attempted over 20 yds on 3rd and 2:banging: