PDA

View Full Version : Conservative or Steeler football ?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Do you call playing Steeler football,as we all know it... being consersative ? Does it not seem that we dont actually game plan for a team, but rather, we just play our own game and see what happens? Im not saying thats necessarily a bad thing, nor do I think we should stray from what we do best.. but do also think that game planning for a teams weak spot or trying to exploit a certain player or situation should happen alittle more often then it seemingly does ?

BB2W
05-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Do you call playing Steeler football,as we all know it... being consersative ? Does it not seem that we dont actually game plan for a team, but rather, we just play our own game and see what happens?

Wow......nicely put! I have never looked at it like that, but I would say you are exactly right (If I knew how to rep you I would) It is kinda like when you play your buddy in Madden, and you just call the plays you know work, and go from there.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
the little thumbs up/thumbs down symbols down in the corner of your user information box on each thread you make, just mouse over one of them..it'll let you add to or decrease a users repoints. I'll put up a screenshot in the announcements forum in the User Reputation thread.

And dont get me wrong, when u get to the playoffs, u dance w/ who brought you there, I 100% agree, however, I think u need to mix in some strategy against your opponent and attack what you can as well.

geran42o
05-16-2005, 07:24 AM
when u get to the playoffs, u dance w/ who brought you there, I 100% agree, however, I think u need to mix in some strategy against your opponent and attack what you can as well.
I agree 100% with you here Blitz. We all love the way the Steelers Play the game, however come playoff time we should be mixing it up some cause every other team knows what we're gonna do, and we get exploited time and time again

Prosdo
05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I agree 100% with you here Blitz. We all love the way the Steelers Play the game, however come playoff time we should be mixing it up some cause every other team knows what we're gonna do, and we get exploited time and time again

I couldn't agree more.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Don't get me wrong,I love our tough,run-it-down-thier-throat,beat them up kind of style that the Steelers run.

However,I think we need to mix it up more.The Steelers have no problem mixing it up a bit in the regular season (e.g. Bettis' TD pass again the Jets),but in the regular season it's run-run-pass-punt/field goal/interception was thrown on 3rd down.

HOW ABOUT PASSING ON FIRST DOWN SOMETIMES?!

I was watching NFL Network OnDemans last night,they had this thing about coaches...and Herm Edwards said,"sometimes your gameplan doens't work and you have to change it up a bit".Well,I yelled "TELL THAT TO COWHER!" and it woke my Browns fan dad up.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
One of the best coaches in the league at game planning for his opponet is bellicheck.. I can still remember several years ago, when the pats played us, and they did nothing but throw the ball, play after play after play..they spread us out like nobody had done in years.. and he got the idea from watching game film of the bengals and john kitna, when they lit us up for 40+ points and he had over 400 yds passing. None of us were expecting that, and obviously we werent ready for it that day. then the raiders followed suit, and it was all down hill from there for the first part of the season.. man we couldnt get off the field on 3rd down to save our life !!

clevestinks
05-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I do beleive we get a little predictable at times. But when you run the Bus down peoples throats week after week and it works, then what the hell. But on the other hand we also seem to use more trick plays than any team in the league, which makes me want to believe we are not conservative. The first pats game this year we saw opputunities when Ty Law faked like he was hurt, and took full advantage of them. Then we played NE in the playoffs and acted as if we had never seen them before. We play well in close games, we play well with the lead, with Ben and companies we can catch up but don`t play as well being behind by alot. We need to use our gifts like Hines Ward, and El more often, if Heath Miller is as good as advertised then we can`t be so predictable.

How many times have we seen third down and long, say 3rd and 12, and run a draw play, who doesn`t want to put there fist threw the tv. I want to play more wide open football. But I do love our ball control smash mouth football, and I am a huge Cowher fan.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-16-2005, 05:53 PM
We've never been a good come from behind team, its just not our style. we play it close, run the ball, eat the clock, use play action, high percentage short to medium passes and the occasional long ball. Although in the last couple years, we've been much more adept to being able to play in a shootout or traditional steeler football..so its alot better than it used to be. But still, you just gotta wonder sometimes. :rolleyes:

bigbensgirl7
05-16-2005, 06:34 PM
I agree with everyone here. I think we need to stick to our game plan...run it down their throats and wear the opposing defense down. However, we need to open it up a little bit...be a little less predictable. I think this year might be the year you see a little change in our offense. Now that Ben has a better feel of the offense and a year of experience under his belt, I believe they will put the ball in his hands a little more. I also think the addition of Miller will give Ben more options. And if El steps up...I believe you will see a different offense! Not a Colts type offense, because the Steelers will always run the ball, but I think we will see them pass a little more on 1st and 2nd downs (at least I hope so....I can't go another season of run, run, pass on 3rd and long...it's driving me nuts!)

Ironman
05-16-2005, 06:42 PM
I think there's a certain arrogance to keeping the same style even when you might need to play it different to win. NFL coaches and defenses are so adaptable to a team's tendencies that you have to change it up now and then. I love the "line-up and run'em over" approach as all of you do, but the NFL is not the place to stay one-dimensional. In college, when the athletes and studs are few and far between... you can get a way with it. The NFL is a thinking man's game as well as a physical game. Sometimes I just think the Steelers neglect the cerebral aspects and try to win on sheer brawn. That may work the 1st time you play a team, but in the play-offs... teams will exploit you.

ironcitychef
05-17-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't think it's conservative. Blocking Wide outs, pulling guards, trick plays can also be called aggresive. I see us as the best defense is a good offense. Not that Indy type that puts up 45 points, but that ground game one that puts up 45 minutes of work. If you keep the other teams off the field, you usually do pretty well. The change I'd like to see is short passes/screens can be just as good as runs. High %, keeps the clock and chains moving. Nothing hurts a defense more than knowing you were out there for 12-15 plays, 8-9 minutes, and you couldn't get off the field.

clevestinks
05-17-2005, 02:31 PM
I just hate to pick on our play selections or conservativness, because I don`t won`t to seem like I disagree with Coach Cowher. I do disagree with him somewhat , but i also like him as a head coach, and would like to see him here another 15 years or so.

Steelers of the 70`s some of you remember. Run, run, run, and tenacious defense. But come big playoff games or Superbowls, the ball was put in Bradshaw`s hands. Throw throw throw, Big Defense. Nothing wrong with changing it up now and then.

Prosdo
05-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I just hate to pick on our play selections or conservativness, because I don`t won`t to seem like I disagree with Coach Cowher. I do disagree with him somewhat , but i also like him as a head coach, and would like to see him here another 15 years or so.

Steelers of the 70`s some of you remember. Run, run, run, and tenacious defense. But come big playoff games or Superbowls, the ball was put in Bradshaw`s hands. Throw throw throw, Big Defense. Nothing wrong with changing it up now and then.

I agree Cleve. I really like Coach Cowher and feel he is a great coach. I know we should stick to what we are good with, but we do need to change it up a bit. Hoping this year will be the year we get our fifth!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
coach cowher is a great coach, there's not disputing that.. the way he coaches, the players respond to him,and his record speaks for itself.. but I think you have to be able to adapt and be alittle different, do somethings teams dont expect when u hit the post season.. obviously playing mistake free football, and tough defense, and solid special teams is a given.. but when your predictable, sooner or later people will exploit you. we all know its happened.

Ironman
05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I hate to say this... I really hate to say this... but the Pats and the Eagles have it down. Teams are worried the week they play those two teams with how their going to defend them. Teams can game plan for Steelers week in training camp... the formula never changes. I love BC. I love the smashmouth game... but sometimes you have to hit a guy in the mouth and then throw over him while his cleaning the blood from his teeth.

clevestinks
05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Good Take Ironman you would think that with the way we go through O coordinators that things would change over the years. Then everyone wants our o coor, go figure. I can`t figure it out? With Big Ben in the fold now, Heath Miller, Hines Ward, a stable of backs, El a great Oline, and hopefully Wilson or Gibson stepping. Cowher will have so many weapons that he won`t have a choice but to open it up. Lets see.

bigbensgirl7
05-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I hope your right Cleve

ironcitychef
05-19-2005, 12:16 AM
How about this...NE and PHI can do several/many things well. Can they do one thing great yes. NE brings you crazy looks. But we beat it, heck MIA even did it. PHI brings pressure fast. Someone will get to you. Again, we beat it and so did some others. But for us, we are in the same category, but what is our one thing...power running. Now for the difference. NE and PHI can do these things great maybe 5-10 times a game. In my eyes, overall talent plus these handful of snaps can create a consistent winner. But look at us. All 16 teams last season KNEW WE WERE GOING TO RUN THE BALL. End result = 15-1. They knew it was coming and they couldn't do anything about it. I don't want to watch us hoping we make a sack or get a pick or throw a bomb to win. I want to see us get 3 yards on a screen on first, 5 yards up the middle, then 3 yards off the left on third. All of this on the first series is great cause you can see it in the other teams' eyes. They lined up 8-9 and couldn't stop it 15/16 tries last year. That makes for a long day. As for when the postseason comes, it still comes down to three things to win, effective running, good 3rd down defense, and minimize turnovers.

STEEL-MAN
05-19-2005, 03:04 PM
It comes down to execution, not dropping balls and turning the ball over or giving points away. Opportunities are always there when the execution is there! B.Cowher when you think about it has done a very good job over the years with average players and in big games. Maybe to good a times raising our expectation and being left down when they had played poorly in playoff games. Think about it how far could we go with
Washington and Scott starting in the back field?

clevestinks
05-19-2005, 03:16 PM
I hope your right Cleve

So do I ! :D

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Good Take Ironman you would think that with the way we go through O coordinators that things would change over the years. Then everyone wants our o coor, go figure. I can`t figure it out? With Big Ben in the fold now, Heath Miller, Hines Ward, a stable of backs, El a great Oline, and hopefully Wilson or Gibson stepping. Cowher will have so many weapons that he won`t have a choice but to open it up. Lets see.

I agree man, totally..but u know bill, we opened it up when we got tommy gun and we threw all over creation and it got us nowhere fast.. so lets hope we keep the balance and still let ben do this thing even more this year.