PDA

View Full Version : 10 observations from Steelers vs. Redskins

pete74
08-14-2011, 06:15 AM
The Steelers played the Redskins on Friday Night and lost their first preseason game. The scored was tied 7-7 when the first and second team came out for the Steelers. The Redskins used their first team all the way to half time as the Steelers pulled many of their starters after the first drive. The final score ended up being 16-7 Redskins. You could tell that these guys have not played football in a while. Here are some things I saw from the game.

1.Antonio Brown is ready to be a star. He caught everything and was the entire Steelers offense for most of the game.
2.Chris Scott is not ready to start at Right Guard. He may look fantastic in practice but he was not ready for what was coming at him versus the Redskins.
3.William Gay can not even cover third string receivers. He was beat all night by whoever lined up against him.
4.Cameron Heyward is going to be a beast. He was up under first team offensive linemen and in the backfield. He disrupted quite a few plays and was in on quite a few plays.
5.Woodley’s love for the game showed through last night. When the Redskins were driving late in the second quarter Woodley was standing there with his helmet in his hands ready to help. The rest of the guys on the sideline were joking and watching while Woodley wanted to make an impact.
6.Dennis Dixon did not do any favors for Saunders, Grisham, or any other receivers who are trying to make this team.
7.Daniel Sepulveda looked like a beast kicking the ball. If he stays healthy he will be our punter. 62, 51 and 55 yard punts can pretty much assure that.
8.Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler were both not ready to guard first team receivers. They can play in the nickel but as of now they are let the guy catch the ball and make the tackle corners not playmakers.
9.The new kickoff rule sucks. When sitting in the stands everyone was booing because there is no excitement on special teams.
10.Young guys to watch moving forward are Donovan Warren, Stephenson Sylvester, Cameron Heyward, Chris Carter, Ryan Mundy, Anthony Gray, and Corbin Bryant.
After the first game it did not look like these guys were ready for football. This is why the preseason is important. These guys need time to work

Pittsburgh43
08-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Pretty much agree with all your points. Another kid that stood out to me was Morrty Ivy, he was always attacking the ball and he made me notice him.

Isaac Redman is a guy that this team needs to utilize. He makes plays, bottom line. He proved that in one of the Ravens games last season. You can't arm tackle 'em cause he'll run right through it, you need half the defense to bring him down. Obviously, Rashard is our workhorse, but we need to get this guy in the game. He carried the ball around 55 times last season, this needs to be at least doubled.

steeltheone
08-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Heyward needs to play...Cut Smith and use the 6 mill somewhere else.

3rdandlong
08-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Redman and Antonio Brown were the most impressive to me. Wallace as usual looks like a star. Now if only our offensive line could get it together

steeltheone
08-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Gotta Give Redman his props...seems to always give 110%

solardave
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I agree with everything you said and I'll add that Sylvester looked good too. Redman needs more involvement in our offense.
I did see one play where Heyward missed a tackle and just stood there without pursuing the guy. Rookie mistake.

As far as Chris Scott I also agree. Why not try Legursky there? He seems to be able to play every other position. Didn't I see him playing left tackle?

Dennis Dixon = Kordell Stewart. Same number,same talent, same ol' same ol' can't put it together on the field.

solardave
08-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Heyward needs to play...Cut Smith and use the 6 mill somewhere else.

Here's an idea. Restructure his contract and let the rookie learn from a consummate PRO with a blue collar mentality. IMHO Heyward is the FUTURE. Keyword----Future.
Next year.

Steelers17
08-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Here's an idea. Restructure his contract and let the rookie learn from a consummate PRO with a blue collar mentality. IMHO Heyward is the FUTURE. Keyword----Future.
Next year.

Agreed but it is genuinely difficult to mentor and coach up while sitting in a hot tub. Additionally, we are fortunate to have a solid defensive line coach in place. Furthermore, if the Steelers hierarchy can cut Franco Harris, they can cut anyone! :noidea:

DanRooney
08-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm glad you guys are starting to see why Antonio Brown should be the #2 receiver opposite of Wallace.

SteeleReign
08-14-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm glad you guys are starting to see why Antonio Brown should be the #2 receiver opposite of Wallace.

I wouldn't hand that to him yet. He's looking good, but I'd still rather have Hines on the field when it counts.

tanda10506
08-14-2011, 12:55 PM
WHY THE HELL DID WE SIGN WILLIAM GAY!!! He's horrible! Dennis Dixon needs to go, I'd be happy if they could trade him just for a decent nickel corner, the guy WILL NEVER be a starter on the Steelers and I rather take my chances with Batch and Leftwich then Dixon. O line got pushed around by the Skins, that's not good, but it's not like anybody was playing 100% anyway. I was really happy with Brown and Redman also, I think if they have the kind of years that I'm expecting them to, that they will be in Pittsburgh for a while. Especially Brown.

Wallace17
08-14-2011, 01:08 PM
I agree on cutting smith we need this money else where. Ziggy is solid enough to start. I Think the o line will be an issue this year. like it has every year but ten times worse.

Wallabeast17
08-14-2011, 02:01 PM
100% agree with all your points.

On a side not Dixon will not make this team this year if he keeps this up, he was terrible.
I thought Morty Ivy and Ryan Mundy played very well.
I have to say with the young corners i expected none to step up even though i was hoping i would be wrong. However, I thought Warren played pretty well, better then Lewis and Butler. IMO

LVSteelersfan
08-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Let's hope Ben doesn't get hurt because there is absolutely no one behind him. Lefty sucks. Batch is done. Dixon needs to be cut. They need to look for a semi-serviceable backup QB or the Steelers are dead if Ben goes down. And don't tell me Batch is the answer.

Steeler4life1972
08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I said this the other night in a previous post...they should have made an offer to kevin kolb...if the offer was good I do believe he wouldnt have turned down playing for the steelers even though he still would have been a backup!!

finesward
08-14-2011, 02:23 PM
I would be surprised if sanders and brown don't both surpass hines on the depth chart by the end of the year. Brown showed a lot of speed and good hands. He has starting potential and sanders showed us last year he is ready as well. I hope hines can take a bettis type approach to his last couple of seasons and not let his ego get in the way of developing these young guys. I can't help but like our depth if we have 3 young guys starting the next several years. We could be set for a while at WR :tt02:

stb_steeler
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
WHY THE HELL DID WE SIGN WILLIAM GAY!!! He's horrible! Dennis Dixon needs to go, I'd be happy if they could trade him just for a decent nickel corner, the guy WILL NEVER be a starter on the Steelers and I rather take my chances with Batch and Leftwich then Dixon. O line got pushed around by the Skins, that's not good, but it's not like anybody was playing 100% anyway. I was really happy with Brown and Redman also, I think if they have the kind of years that I'm expecting them to, that they will be in Pittsburgh for a while. Especially Brown.

As i recall, a few on here were saying Gay is the man...I guess he proved them wrong!

Pittsburgh43
08-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes, Dixon wears #10, but at this point, he is nowhere near the quarterback that Kordell was.

steeltheone
08-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Let's hope Ben doesn't get hurt because there is absolutely no one behind him. Lefty sucks. Batch is done. Dixon needs to be cut. They need to look for a semi-serviceable backup QB or the Steelers are dead if Ben goes down. And don't tell me Batch is the answer.

The reason why Dixon will stay is he can move...If BR7 goes down..Batch and Lefty will be on the ir 2 weeks later...No Statue QB can survive with this line.

steeltheone
08-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Next year.

Other than QB ..Sitting the bench does nothing for a number 1 pick....Play them!

Pittsburgh43
08-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Gay was solid in the nickel package for us last season, but he can not step into the #2 CB slot. I'm uncomfortable with BMac as the #2 CB, but I'm wayyy more comfortable with him than Gay. I'm desperately hoping that one of the young guys steps up by the time Sept. 11th rolls around. I'm not asking for a starter, but just someone to give us a little depth.

I love our defensive system. I love the way that we use the pressure to disrupt the offense. But every once in a while we come across a QB (Brady, Manning, Rodgers) that can get the ball to a receiver in a split second. In those cases, all liability falls onto the secondary. At this point, our secondary just isn't strong enough to take on that responsibility.

ricardisimo
08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Heyward, Brown and Redman look great. Sadly, it looks like O-line and corner are right where they were last year and the year before that. Depressing. I'm foreseeing the All-Nickel-All-the-Time defense this year. Hopefully they don't pull Timmons in that package like they did last year.

pancake
08-16-2011, 05:44 AM
I said this the other night in a previous post...they should have made an offer to kevin kolb...if the offer was good I do believe he wouldnt have turned down playing for the steelers even though he still would have been a backup!!

:doh:

2 reasons why this didn't happen.

1. Kolb wasn't a free agent, he was traded. He had no say where he went.

2. Kolb wanted to be a starter. I'm sure if he wanted to be a back up, he would have stayed in Philly...

zsheik22
08-16-2011, 07:07 AM
:doh:

2 reasons why this didn't happen.

1. Kolb wasn't a free agent, he was traded. He had no say where he went.

2. Kolb wanted to be a starter. I'm sure if he wanted to be a back up, he would have stayed in Philly...

Kolb is touted as a franchise quarterback. There i 0% chance he's going to take a huge cut and come sit behind someone when he could be "The man" somewhere else. Not to mention a team over the cap is not going to neglect their most needed positions to sign a backup at a ridiculous price.

pancake
08-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Kolb is touted as a franchise quarterback. There i 0% chance he's going to take a huge cut and come sit behind someone when he could be "The man" somewhere else. Not to mention a team over the cap is not going to neglect their most needed positions to sign a backup at a ridiculous price.

agreed :thumbsup: