PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson Sylvester

TGPSarge
08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Would he be first in line this year to fill in for Farrior if he got hurt? I think he could make some noise.

Fire Arians
08-15-2011, 02:40 PM
i hope so, i don't care for larry slow-a-foote much

55BaileyFan
08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I think Sly will get more playing time this year because of how well he progressed last season and has been impressive in camp. I still think Foote is going to get cut, the Steelers don't need him and his 3M contract.

thumper
08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Bring on SS. Enough with the "make them want it" crap. He should be on
the field - period. Don't wait until he has one year on his contract left to finally
get playing time out of him. That way, we only get one year of play before we
have to pay huge $. I really loath when they do that.

solardave
08-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I think he starts this year. Maybe not in the first game but I bet he cracks the lineup by mid-season.

steeltheone
08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
No way does SS get any qaulity playing time...Tomlin loves his vets

theplatypus
08-15-2011, 05:36 PM
No way does SS get any qaulity playing time...Tomlin loves his vets

Pouncey,Brown,Manny, Logan

When rookies or 2nd year players outperform the vets Tomlin plays them.

Steelersfan87
08-15-2011, 06:29 PM
There's no room for Sylvester until Farrior retires or one of the inside linebackers goes down with an injury, and even then Foote will be the first on the field most likely. He honestly looked a little shaky at times against the Redskins, and he's a young guy I'm quite high on.

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Pouncey,Brown,Manny, Logan

When rookies or 2nd year players outperform the vets Tomlin plays them.

No he doesn't. (And who the **** is Logan?)

-Pouncey only started because Hartwig was injured. Had Hartwig not suffered an injury during camp, Pouncey would have been the starting RG (only because we didn't have one).
-Good ol' vet Randle El was brought back because Tomlin has trouble making his own team. He did nothing for the first half of the season last year and had to play an absolute horrific game against the Patriots to slide down the depth chart. Hines is still ahead of Brown for no real reason other than he was SB MVP in 2005.
-Ziggy played stellar in the last half of 2010, yet was only starter because Smith was injured. Now that Smith is back, demoted.
-Sylvester has been looking like a beast but gets no time at ILB because Farrior still thinks he can cover guys Greg Jennings and Tomlin had to resign another one of Cowher's boys again.
-Butler looked good in last years preseason and never saw the field, even over career special teamers like Anthony Madison. Gay can't seem to lose his job no matter how bad he plays.
-Redman looks like Peyton Hillis Jr. He's pretty much unstoppable in the preseason. I can probably count the number of times he's gotten carries in the regular season on my 2 hands.

steeltheone
08-16-2011, 12:24 PM

-Pouncey only started because Hartwig was injured. Had Hartwig not suffered an injury during camp, Pouncey would have been the starting RG (only because we didn't have one).
-Good ol' vet Randle El was brought back because Tomlin has trouble making his own team. He did nothing for the first half of the season last year and had to play an absolute horrific game against the Patriots to slide down the depth chart. Hines is still ahead of Brown for no real reason other than he was SB MVP in 2005.
-Ziggy played stellar in the last half of 2010, yet was only starter because Smith was injured. Now that Smith is back, demoted.
-Sylvester has been looking like a beast but gets no time at ILB because Farrior still thinks he can cover guys Greg Jennings and Tomlin had to resign another one of Cowher's boys again.
-Butler looked good in last years preseason and never saw the field, even over career special teamers like Anthony Madison. Gay can't seem to lose his job no matter how bad he plays.
-Redman looks like Peyton Hillis Jr. He's pretty much unstoppable in the preseason. I can probably count the number of times he's gotten carries in the regular season on my 2 hands.
Exactly...Timmons sat 1 year to long under Foote

Fire Arians
08-16-2011, 12:44 PM

pretty much. I think ward is still money though. he's never been fast, but a solid possession wr.

i don't know why smith isn't cut. i mean I love the guy but is he worth the big bucks anymore after it's been proven that ziggy is solid starter material? In this phase of their career ziggy is probably better than smith. i know everybody loves smith but this is a business, not a charity.

i used to support gay but that support is fading. I thought he was a good blitzer and had a few passes defended in the red zone last year, but i noticed whenever he has to cover a wr longer than 10 yards he's almost always beaten. butler/lewis CANNOT POSSIBLY do any worse. if anything, i don't care if they don't know the defense as well. the fact that gay is slower than some linebackers in this league (runs a 4.67 40) and doesn't have any size means he's always on the wrong end of a mismatch.

speaking of guys who can't cover, i hope butler/lewis puts toast mcfadden on the bench.

Steelersfan87
08-16-2011, 04:48 PM

- Bullshit, Pouncey would have started at center anyway. He performed better at center than at guard. Hartwig's injury didn't help his case, but it's bullshit to say that the only reason that Pouncey was not playing right guard last year was because Hartwig was injured. They could have plugged in Legursky at center too if they really wanted to, but they saw that Pouncey's play proved that he was ready and exceeded their expectations.
- Randle El served his purpose as insurance against youth and was demoted after the youth proved themselves. His play was somewhat of a disappointment, yes, but it was better to go into the season with a veteran receiver than two unproven rookies when your starting receivers are either nearing retirement or baring getting their feet wet as it is in a starting role.
- I really don't see what the issue here is. Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 defensive end that the Steelers have ever had and can still play. It is fair for the organization to show him the respect that he deserves by reinstating him as the starter for now. Besides, in all likelihood Ziggy will be seeing as much playing time as both Smith and Keisel by rotating with both. And it's certainly well within the realm of possibility that the Steelers decide in midseason to anoint Hood the starter and allows Smith to come off the bench.
- Slyvester looked pretty piss poor on multiple coverage assignments in the first game. I was disappointed with him. He still needs to prove himself. And Farrior had one of his best seasons last year. He deserves to start until he retires in the next year or two.
- Butler looked good against 4th stringers. We still know hardly anything about what he can do because he can't even get on the practice field right now. Gay will not lose his spot until somebody proves that he's more deserving.
- Redman had 52 carries in the regular season last year. I agree that he should have more, probably in excess of 100. Especially late in games.

pete74
08-20-2011, 04:57 AM
sylvester dosnt look very good. he just cant seem to shed a block. all it takes is one guy to touch him and he is taken out of the play. he needs to really change that if he ever wants to play in the NFL.

steeltheone
08-20-2011, 07:03 AM
I really don't see what the issue here is. Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 defensive end that the Steelers have ever had and can still play. It is fair for the organization to show him the respect that he deserves by reinstating him as the starter for now.

Was the best...He makes 6 mill plus...That could be used for another position of need...OL?

pete74
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I really don't see what the issue here is. Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 defensive end that the Steelers have ever had and can still play. It is fair for the organization to show him the respect that he deserves by reinstating him as the starter for now.

Was the best...He makes 6 mill plus...That could be used for another position of need...OL?

Your our of your mind. Its about winning now and to do so you plat the best players. You don't sit your best players that give you the best chance of winning because another player was there longer. This is the nfl not the cub scouts.

thumper
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Your our of your mind. Its about winning now and to do so you plat the best players. You don't sit your best players that give you the best chance of winning because another player was there longer. This is the nfl not the cub scouts.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

finesward
08-20-2011, 01:51 PM

I don't think the coaches are starting smith based on being there longer, I think he starts because he is still a better player than ziggy. Ziggy may be the future but he doesn't deserve to start because he is cheaper than smith, he deserves to start the day he outperforms aaron smith. and that day has not come. A guy who is a couple seasons removed from being the BEST at his position is still pretty darn good. You think the Colts rewarded Manning with that contract because he had his best days ahead of him? Is he @ his peak or past it? Probably, but I'm sure they are thinking, much like what the coaches here are thinking, that an older peyton manning is still a pretty darn good QB.

theplatypus
08-20-2011, 02:00 PM
If Hood was better than Smith than he would be the starter. Any coach that doesn't put the best possible team on the field won't be coaching long.

DanRooney
08-20-2011, 02:05 PM
If Hood was better than Smith than he would be the starter. Any coach that doesn't put the best possible team on the field won't be coaching long.

Bullshit. Antonio Brown is better Hines Ward at this point in his career but as long as Ward is healthy, he'll never be ahead on the depth chart.

DanRooney
08-20-2011, 02:16 PM
- Bullshit, Pouncey would have started at center anyway. He performed better at center than at guard. Hartwig's injury didn't help his case, but it's bullshit to say that the only reason that Pouncey was not playing right guard last year was because Hartwig was injured. They could have plugged in Legursky at center too if they really wanted to, but they saw that Pouncey's play proved that he was ready and exceeded their expectations.
- Randle El served his purpose as insurance against youth and was demoted after the youth proved themselves. His play was somewhat of a disappointment, yes, but it was better to go into the season with a veteran receiver than two unproven rookies when your starting receivers are either nearing retirement or baring getting their feet wet as it is in a starting role.
- I really don't see what the issue here is. Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 defensive end that the Steelers have ever had and can still play. It is fair for the organization to show him the respect that he deserves by reinstating him as the starter for now. Besides, in all likelihood Ziggy will be seeing as much playing time as both Smith and Keisel by rotating with both. And it's certainly well within the realm of possibility that the Steelers decide in midseason to anoint Hood the starter and allows Smith to come off the bench.
- Slyvester looked pretty piss poor on multiple coverage assignments in the first game. I was disappointed with him. He still needs to prove himself. And Farrior had one of his best seasons last year. He deserves to start until he retires in the next year or two.
- Butler looked good against 4th stringers. We still know hardly anything about what he can do because he can't even get on the practice field right now. Gay will not lose his spot until somebody proves that he's more deserving.
- Redman had 52 carries in the regular season last year. I agree that he should have more, probably in excess of 100. Especially late in games.

The coaching staff were all going to start Hartwig up until they realized that Poucey was better in every single aspect of the game. It took them an injury and 4 weeks of preseason to realize this. Had Hartwig been healthy, he would have been center.

Timmons+Sylvester is going to wreak havoc as soon as Farrior realizes he's too slow drop into coverage anymore and retires. He had a rebound year last year and that was because he was god awful in 2009. 2010 wasn't even close to "one of his best seasons ever." I almost spit out my coffee when I read that. Timmons can take all the credit for everything good that happened in that position last year.

Butler looked good against 4th stringers. Gay looked bad against a prototypical 4th string quarterback, Rex Grossman.

I actually don't mind Aaron Smith starting over Hood. Smith shows no decline in his game when he's on the field despite being old unlike Ward and Farrior.

-Randle El served the purpose of being one of the most moronic signings ever. He's always sucked and is terrified of the endzone. Same applies with this WR from youtube that plays special teams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2OyPpxV_4

At least Cotchery was a solid WR with the Jets.

theplatypus
08-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Bullshit. Antonio Brown is better Hines Ward at this point in his career but as long as Ward is healthy, he'll never be ahead on the depth chart.

Is he doing all the little things that make Hines a great wr? That's a question that neither of us can answer so don't even bother trying.
But we do know that Brown was still having problems with the playbook in this training camp. You're not going to take a starters place if you don't know the playbook.

DanRooney
08-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Is he doing all the little things that make Hines a great wr? That's a question that neither of us can answer so don't even bother trying.
But we do know that Brown was still having problems with the playbook in this training camp. You're not going to take a starters place if you don't know the playbook.

I don't know about the little things but he's doing the big things that set him apart from Ward in terms of big play potential and getting open MUCH quicker. He also has that same Santonio swag on him that you don't see in very many receivers.

theplatypus
08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't know about the little things but he's doing the big things that set him apart from Ward in terms of big play potential and getting open MUCH quicker. He also has that same Santonio swag on him that you don't see in very many receivers.

But he's still struggling with the playbook, or at least he was as recently as last week. Personally I hope that when the time comes Hines man's up and says hey he's better, start him. If Hines isn't capable or willing then Tomlin better or he'll be out of a job. This is a business first and foremost and Tomlin knows it. I don't think for a second that he would risk his livelyhood for some misguided allegiance.

finesward
08-20-2011, 03:15 PM
You can't ignore the talent Brown has. There is no denying he has the IT that makes some WR's great. It's also what made santonio a complete and utter asshole and drove his ass out of the burgh. I think Brown has a much better head on his shoulders not having the drug dealing pedigree that holmes had.and having a good family around him I'm sure has kept him grounded. I like the look of wallace and brown on the field at the same time, but they are still a little too raw for my taste. Having hines in there is having a coach in the huddle, a coach that can also still block, break off routes, and score TD's. I don't see hines leaving the field until an injury or tomlin decide it's time for him to retire. I don't think he will go out as a back up.

MasterOfPuppets
08-20-2011, 08:40 PM

4.5 mill base salary + 1.6 mill bonus = 6.1 mill cap charge

even if they cut smith they'd still have a 1.6 mill cap charge for him.
now add that 1.6 mill ,plus the salary of whoever they'd get to replace him. they may save a few bucks , but what are they gonna get in return from his replacement ? :tap:

Steelersfan87
08-21-2011, 01:22 AM
The coaching staff were all going to start Hartwig up until they realized that Poucey was better in every single aspect of the game. It took them an injury and 4 weeks of preseason to realize this. Had Hartwig been healthy, he would have been center.

I couldn't give less of a crap about your speculation. This point is irrelevant anyway.

Timmons+Sylvester is going to wreak havoc as soon as Farrior realizes he's too slow drop into coverage anymore and retires. He had a rebound year last year and that was because he was god awful in 2009. 2010 wasn't even close to "one of his best seasons ever." I almost spit out my coffee when I read that. Timmons can take all the credit for everything good that happened in that position last year.

I still maintain that the 2010 season was in the upper half of the seasons that he has had with the Steelers. Admittedly, part of this was due to the way that he was utilized in the defense, especially in blitz packages, in which he excelled. And his coverage this past year was significantly improved from 2009. Farrior is no longer the best middle linebacker on the team, but that says a lot more about Timmons than it does about Farrior.

Butler looked good against 4th stringers. Gay looked bad against a prototypical 4th string quarterback, Rex Grossman.

You would say that Gay and McFadden looked bad regardless of what actually happened. There is no reason right now to believe that the Steelers would have a better season in 2011 with Butler as the nickel back over Gay.

Randle El served the purpose of being one of the most moronic signings ever. He's always sucked and is terrified of the endzone.

More observations that don't reflect the reality. He played serviceably as the third receiver to start the season until the coaching staff was comfortable with Sanders taking over the spot. His signing was an insurance policy. He didn't necessarily "lose" his job because it was the intention all along for, under the best case scenario, Sanders to take over the third receiver position. It is important to have more than one veteran receiver on the roster when your other 3 receivers are either rookies or 2nd year players who have never started. He assisted in the progression of Wallace, Sanders, and Brown last year as well, which was his most valuable asset.

dreegking
08-21-2011, 01:47 AM

I actually don't mind Aaron Smith starting over Hood. Smith shows no decline in his game when he's on the field despite being old unlike Ward and Farrior.

-Randle El served the purpose of being one of the most moronic signings ever. He's always sucked and is terrified of the endzone. Same applies with this WR from youtube that plays special teams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2OyPpxV_4

At least Cotchery was a solid WR with the Jets.

logic and reason verse vulgar and erroneous opinion

thank you

DanRooney
08-21-2011, 04:56 AM
I couldn't give less of a crap about your speculation. This point is irrelevant anyway.

You mean the truth? Pouncey would not have been the starting center for the Pittsburgh Steelers if Hartwig was not injured in the offseason. Starting a rookie at center is a rarity in the NFL. Starting a rookie on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster about as common as seeing Halley's comet.

You would say that Gay and McFadden looked bad regardless of what actually happened. There is no reason right now to believe that the Steelers would have a better season in 2011 with Butler as the nickel back over Gay.

That's why you have to try new things when the old ones obviously aren't working. The Donovan Warren experiment looked successful. We probably won't see it again for another 7 weeks.

More observations that don't reflect the reality. He played serviceably as the third receiver to start the season until the coaching staff was comfortable with Sanders taking over the spot. His signing was an insurance policy. He didn't necessarily "lose" his job because it was the intention all along for, under the best case scenario, Sanders to take over the third receiver position. It is important to have more than one veteran receiver on the roster when your other 3 receivers are either rookies or 2nd year players who have never started. He assisted in the progression of Wallace, Sanders, and Brown last year as well, which was his most valuable asset.

I've never seen a receiver more terrified of the endzone than Randle El. The only thing he should be servicing are these commercials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dyQ8UDRg2s

ricardisimo
08-21-2011, 05:09 AM
You mean the truth? Pouncey would not have been the starting center for the Pittsburgh Steelers if Hartwig was not injured in the offseason. Starting a rookie at center is a rarity in the NFL. Starting a rookie on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster about as common as seeing Halley's comet.
Where do you come up with this shit? Everything I remember reading at the time suggested that Pouncey earned his spot through his play in the preseason. Period. Show me anything that says otherwise.

DanRooney
08-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Where do you come up with this shit? Everything I remember reading at the time suggested that Pouncey earned his spot through his play in the preseason. Period. Show me anything that says otherwise.

No shit he earned his spot through his play. He was obviously better than that horrid center in every single aspect of the game just watching him in Florida.

Tomlin's plan was to play start him at guard and eventually move him to center when he was ready. But when an Hartwig got injured, Pouncey took snaps at center at camp and preseason. Did you pay attention to the 2009 offseason at all?

theplatypus
08-21-2011, 06:57 AM
No shit he earned his spot through his play. He was obviously better than that horrid center in every single aspect of the game just watching him in Florida.

Tomlin's plan was to play start him at guard and eventually move him to center when he was ready. But when an Hartwig got injured, Pouncey took snaps at center at camp and preseason. Did you pay attention to the 2009 offseason at all?

I've been sitting here drinking coffee and skimming through the RSS feeds from the training camp 2010. As it stands Poucey is the one injured(not hartwig), they've had internal discussions about starting him at Center instead of Guard(the article was from the 2nd day of training camp). Prior to the 1st preseason game Pouncey is already learning 2 positions. Unless I've missed it Hartwig is healthy, he hasn't been mentioned in the injury reports.

There it is!
Pouncey split time at Center with a healthy Hartwig on the 1st team O-line for the 1st preseason game.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695055.html?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

Here's the scenario following the 1st preseason game(note that Hartwig is still healthy)

Maurkice Pouncey, the team's No. 1 draft choice in April, ran with the first team at center Monday in practice, sharing time with two-year starter Justin Hartwig. The two also shared time with the second team. Afterward, Tomlin made no bones about it; Pouncey is competing to start at center after he elevated his status with his play at that position Saturday night against the Detroit Lions. Pouncey has been practicing at right guard and center, but remained exclusively at center Monday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_695055.html?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

:coffee:

kirklandrules
08-21-2011, 07:36 AM
There it is!
Pouncey split time at Center with a healthy Hartwig on the 1st team O-line for the 1st preseason game.

Geez, seems you let facts get in the way of a perfect waste of time :wink02:

I was thinking Hartwig had off-season shoulder surgery, then was injured after Pouncey ascended the throne. My guess is it was more an injury to his ego. As much as I didn't think Hartwig was the starter we needed, in the SB win against the Cards, during that game winning drive Hartwig had an awesome block that would have been a huge sack. So let's not hate on the guy too much ... he served his purpose and we got another ring.

Here's a good link of an article from just prior to the 2010 season:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/07/just-how-safe-is-center-justin-hartwig/

theplatypus
08-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Geez, seems you let facts get in the way of a perfect waste of time :wink02:

I was thinking Hartwig had off-season shoulder surgery, then was injured after Pouncey ascended the throne. My guess is it was more an injury to his ego. As much as I didn't think Hartwig was the starter we needed, in the SB win against the Cards, during that game winning drive Hartwig had an awesome block that would have been a huge sack. So let's not hate on the guy too much ... he served his purpose and we got another ring.

Here's a good link of an article from just prior to the 2010 season:

Honestly I was bored and decided to make sure my memory wasn't failing me as others were making me believe. I'm not sure where you get that I'm hating on Hartwig he did his job to the best of his ability. Unfortunately for him the interior of the OL was a weakness and it started at center.

That article you linked is dated almost a month before training camp even started. How many times have we heard Tomlin say jobs are not won or lost playing football in shorts? Hartwig was "slowed" for OTA's, but was practicing and fully participating for training camp and actually started the 1st preseason game . He lost sole possession of starter as early as the 1st practice after the 1st preseason game. Unlike the assertions made previously Pouncey earned his shot due to his skills, not injury.

LVSteelersfan
08-21-2011, 11:40 AM
If Hartwig would have been the one who would have been the starting center without injury, then why in the heck did they release him? Sorry, but there is no way in heck he would have been released if the Steelers thought he was really starting center material. They didn't think enough of him to even keep him as a backup!!! I am sure some of you argue just for the sake of arguing but it is plain as day to me that Hartwig is not starting center material in the NFL. He could not hold his own against the NTs of the other teams while Pouncey blows through them and hits a LB on the other side. Hartwig couldn't do that in his dreams. The Steelers got someone who is definitely one of the best centers in the league now and sent Hartwig packing. Legursky is better than Hartwig by a mile.

DanRooney
08-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Okay for the last time:

Hartwig was injured throughout training camp. It was a broken toe or some shit I don't remember. This is the only reason why Pouncey was able to compete at center. He started out as a 2nd team RG.

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 13, 2010

It has been widely thought that Pouncey would play right guard — he is running with the second team behind Trai Essex there — before eventually taking over for Justin Hartwig at center.

But when asked Thursday where he expects to see his first action as a Steeler, Pouncey said, "I'm probably going to start off at center, but I'm not sure yet."

"I'm very well prepared to go out there and perform," Pouncey said yesterday. "I ain't going to say I know (the playbook) to the T, but I've got it down pretty good."

What makes his grasp of the playbook all the more impressive is that Pouncey has been learning two positions, something offensive line coach Sean Kugler said is "very rare" for a rookie to do.

"This thing hasn't fazed him," Kugler said. "He's picked it up probably at a pace as quickly or better than I would have expected."

"I want him to get some exposure at both spots," Tomlin said. "I don't have a set number of snaps. It is kind of dictated on how the drives go. There is no crystal ball there. We are not afraid to play him at both positions in this football game."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_694694.html

---------------------------

And there you go again.

theplatypus
08-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Okay for the last time:

Hartwig was injured throughout training camp. It was a broken toe or some shit I don't remember. This is the only reason why Pouncey was able to compete at center. He started out as a 2nd team RG.

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 13, 2010

It has been widely thought that Pouncey would play right guard — he is running with the second team behind Trai Essex there — before eventually taking over for Justin Hartwig at center.

But when asked Thursday where he expects to see his first action as a Steeler, Pouncey said, "I'm probably going to start off at center, but I'm not sure yet."

"I'm very well prepared to go out there and perform," Pouncey said yesterday. "I ain't going to say I know (the playbook) to the T, but I've got it down pretty good."

What makes his grasp of the playbook all the more impressive is that Pouncey has been learning two positions, something offensive line coach Sean Kugler said is "very rare" for a rookie to do.

"This thing hasn't fazed him," Kugler said. "He's picked it up probably at a pace as quickly or better than I would have expected."

"I want him to get some exposure at both spots," Tomlin said. "I don't have a set number of snaps. It is kind of dictated on how the drives go. There is no crystal ball there. We are not afraid to play him at both positions in this football game."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_694694.html

---------------------------

And there you go again.

HArtwig wasn't freaking injured when he lost out to Pouncey. His toe injury was in 2009.

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=4254

Hartwig started the game referenced in your article and then Pouncey was given 11 reps at center with the 1st team. THe folllowing freaking Monday Pouncey was in an open competition for starting center. HIs opponent was a healthy Hartwig.

DanRooney
08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
It was a shoulder injury.

Well there you go.

theplatypus
08-21-2011, 12:36 PM
It was a shoulder injury.

Well there you go.

And yet once again that was during OTA's. FROM your article "IF Hartwig is slowed early on in camp". Do you understand what IF implies? Do you also understand the difference between Organized Team Activities and Training Camp? Can you find one article that states Pouncey was given a shot due to Hartwig's injury as per your initial claim?

No
No
No

And there you go

DanRooney
08-21-2011, 02:53 PM
And yet once again that was during OTA's. FROM your article "IF Hartwig is slowed early on in camp". Do you understand what IF implies? Do you also understand the difference between Organized Team Activities and Training Camp? Can you find one article that states Pouncey was given a shot due to Hartwig's injury as per your initial claim?

No
No
No

And there you go

The second sentence doesn't say if.

You sir, are wrong again. :hatsoff:

So far I've said Hartwig had an injury in the offseason - correct
So far I've said Pouncey started playing the right guard position - correct
So far I've said Pouncey was a superior center in every aspect than Hartwig - correct

And you can't put these together at why Pouncey was given a chance to compete at C from the start? With as long as you've been a Steelers fan, how many times has a rookie just came in and started from day 1? When was the last time? Casey Hampton?

The Steelers don't give their rooks a fair shot to take a vets job from the get go. Sanders and Brown were superior to Randle El and youtube sensation Arnaz Batlte from day 1 yet they weren't even given real playing time until mid season.

Steelersfan87
08-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Yet Mike Wallace was the year before. Maybe because Mike Wallace was a lot better as a rookie than they were right off the bat. Oh, and there was that whole executive order from Art Rooney II thing, saying that he wants to see the rookies develop faster and contribute in their rookie years during the 2010 offseason.

theplatypus
08-21-2011, 03:23 PM

So far I've said Pouncey was a superior center in every aspect than Hartwig - correct

And you can't put these together at why Pouncey was given a chance to compete at C from the start? With as long as you've been a Steelers fan, how many times has a rookie just came in and started from day 1? When was the last time? Casey Hampton?

The Steelers don't give their rooks a fair shot to take a vets job from the get go. Sanders and Brown were superior to Randle El and youtube sensation Arnaz Batlte from day 1 yet they weren't even given real playing time until mid season.

And yet once again training camp(where jobs are won and lost) hadn't even started yet when the article you posted was written. IT was still a month away. Hartings was recovering from shoulder surgery during OTA's.

And once again this is from your source.

t may also be an indication that the Steelers are keeping an open mind when it comes to Pouncey, and that he could challenge two incumbents along the offensive line.

I guess being open minded is now tantamount to injured.

dreegking
08-24-2011, 01:59 AM
And yet once again training camp(where jobs are won and lost) hadn't even started yet when the article you posted was written. IT was still a month away. Hartings was recovering from shoulder surgery during OTA's.

And once again this is from your source.

I guess being open minded is now tantamount to injured.

reason will often go unheard

ebsteelers
08-24-2011, 09:09 AM

this part sounds alot like dumper, me me me me,,, im always right the front office doesnt know their dick from a whole in the wall.. blah blah blah...

its in the past ladies

this thread is about sylvester... as long as whoever is lb is making plays i'll be happy and not question the coaching staff over everything..

yeah vets get extra treatment its called loyalty, maybe sylvester hasnt out practiced farrior. maybe the coaches dont think he is ready yet

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
if foote isn't gone this year he will be next year

kirklandrules
08-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Agreed. I'm not a Foote hater, rather I'm hoping the young talent can rise up enough to supplant a 2nd string vet at this point.

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 03:35 PM
oh yea same here - love the guy - certainly has contributed to the success. coudnt ask for a better vet. If Aaron Smith gets hurt again - I'll be developing those same feelings for him very quickly. On the fence about him being reinstated. I'm sure Ziggy has done enough to warrant considerable rotation time at the least.

Just keeping my fingers crossed for a healthy year

Fire Arians
08-24-2011, 03:39 PM

i think he should be gone THIS year. 3 million for sitting on the bench?

Steelersfan87
08-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Agreed. I'm not a Foote hater, rather I'm hoping the young talent can rise up enough to supplant a 2nd string vet at this point.

If Foote is cut, then the Steelers will quickly be in the market for 2 new LBs after Farrior retires, and we will then have NO depth at the ILB position, added to the looming retirement of James Harrison and the need to find a new backup OLB assuming Jason Worilds is actually the answer at that spot.

pancake
08-24-2011, 06:46 PM

First off thanks for getting this thread back on topic... Too much bickering in here. :noidea:

Now I think Foote has had a really good camp, from what I've seen. I would like to Syvester step up, but can't say I have seen him much...

My guess is that Farrior is gone after this year, and either Foote or SS takes his place. My hope it's SS because he is cheaper.

55BaileyFan
08-24-2011, 06:47 PM
I think he is the number one guy and the heir apparent...I still think Foote is going to get cut. He cost too much money and some of the young guys seem to be just as good or better.

kirklandrules
08-25-2011, 12:43 PM
If Foote is cut, then the Steelers will quickly be in the market for 2 new LBs after Farrior retires, and we will then have NO depth at the ILB position, added to the looming retirement of James Harrison and the need to find a new backup OLB assuming Jason Worilds is actually the answer at that spot.

I'm with you on that concern. My hope (not to be confused with a mandate) is that one of the younger ILBs could supplant Foote as the #3 (Sylvester). Then have another young guy in the wings as a #4 (Ivy?). But if these young guys aren't stepping up, then you have to keep Foote.

My concern is that if something happens with Farrior or he retires after this year, Foote is a downgrade. They have to find the long term solution at ILB.

madtowndrunkard
08-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Dick Lebeau likes Foote because he doesn't make mistakes. He plays were he's told to play. This is very important for a bend but don't break defense. This is the very reason it's rare to see a rookie start for Dick Lebeau on a regular basis.

When your play makers are taking risks trying to make big plays your "role" players better be in the right spot at the right time. Smart role players allow guys like Harrison, Timmons, and Polamalu to do what they do.