PDA

View Full Version : What Should be the General Offensive Gameplan This Year?

3rdandlong
08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
We all know Arians will never come up with half intelligent gamplans, but I wanted to know what people thought we should do in order to maximize our success on offense.

We need to run the ball more than we did last season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the offensive line giving Ben a lot of time. I know we have an excellent receiving corps, but I think we would be much better tonfocus on the run, especially with the way Redman is coming into his own. Mendenhall and Redman can split carries. Redman will be invaluable when we play Baltimore because his "fight for every yard" mentality is exactly what we need when facing the Ravens stingy defense.

The defense should be great as usual. This can afford us the ability to hammer away with the run, since I don't suspect we will have to play catch up a lot.

A strong running game that can eek out around 4 yards a carry will do wonders. Ben is at his best when he has a strong running game. I can envision pounding the ball, and then when the defense begins gearing up for the run, we hit Mike Wallace deep.

The no huddle should be utilized a lot more. It worked so well last year, and then we would get away from it. Arians does what we wants regardless of whether or not it works. Ben processes his reads faster, and of course, the defense cannot substitute as often In a no huddle

That's the best strategy I can see. We shouldn't be throwing the ball more than we are running, or even having a 1:1 ratio of pass to run. Of course, time will tell what exactly is the best approach, that is my initial thinking though.

Fire Arians
08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
i honestly think we're going to be more pass-happy since we actually have the personnel to do it this year. before i used to be anti-air and want a grind-it-out offense. now i really don't care what we do as long as it works and we win.

but take this scenario. in 5-wide we can have wallace, sanders, brown, and possibly limas sweed (depending on if he straightened out his confidence issues) on the field at the same time. all the above are threats to beat the secondary deep and score on you from anywhere on the field.

even without sweed in that equation, that is still a lot of speed on the field. add in ward and cotchery who are clutch possession wr's and at the very minimum, we should be able to move some chains through the air

MACH1
08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
If it's snowin we're throwin.

theplatypus
08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't see the offense changing much when it comes to a run-pass ratio. Too be honest I really don't want it to change. What I really want too see is an improvement in execution by the offense.
Ben needs to start getting rid of the ball and hitting WR in stride.
RB's need to sustain blocks in the passing game.
O-line- start with keeping your hands to yourself.
WR's- You need to know your routes. There's no excuse for not knowing what to do with 60 seconds to play in the SB.

SteeleReign
08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I would like to see Arians' game plan be less predictable. I don't want to see Mewelde Moore on the field on 3rd and 1. I don't want to see a 7-yard curl route on 3rd and 10. I don't want to see an off-tackle run stuffed for no gain on an obvious rushing first down........etc...etc....etc.....I don't want to see some ridiculous gadget play on 3rd and short that will fail 99 times out of 100.

I'd almost like to see us open up the runnng lanes by throwing the ball....quick slants, outs, curls, etc. a la New England....get the 8 outta the box and then stuff the run up the middle. With our receiveing weapons we should be spreading the ball all over the field....3-step drops should help the o-line stay connected to their blocks long enough for Ben.....and.... I'd LOVE to see more no-huddle.

3rdandlong
08-15-2011, 05:27 PM
i honestly think we're going to be more pass-happy since we actually have the personnel to do it this year. before i used to be anti-air and want a grind-it-out offense. now i really don't care what we do as long as it works and we win.

but take this scenario. in 5-wide we can have wallace, sanders, brown, and possibly limas sweed (depending on if he straightened out his confidence issues) on the field at the same time. all the above are threats to beat the secondary deep and score on you from anywhere on the field.

even without sweed in that equation, that is still a lot of speed on the field. add in ward and cotchery who are clutch possession wr's and at the very minimum, we should be able to move some chains through the air

Maybe a 2000 St. Louis Rams offensive philosophy. Put 4 to 5 receivers who are fast on the field, and at least one of them is going to beat his CB. I'm not saying we're the Rams, but in certain situations we could do something similar, especially if the line proves it can protect Ben. Otherwise, spread it out and utilize the speed by using quick, shirt passes that allow the WR to pick up a lot of YAC.

Steeler4life1972
08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I say to be balanced but not to the point were we are predictable which arians tends to do. Teams spread our defense a lot I say we do other teams the same way with a lot of one on one coverages and yes I think ben could do well at that!!

Steeler4life1972
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Maybe a 2000 St. Louis Rams offensive philosophy. Put 4 to 5 receivers who are fast on the field, and at least one of them is going to beat his CB. I'm not saying we're the Rams, but in certain situations we could do something similar, especially if the line proves it can protect Ben. Otherwise, spread it out and utilize the speed by using quick, shirt passes that allow the WR to pick up a lot of YAC.

Took the words right outta my mouth!!:tt04:

Steelersfan87
08-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't want a message board deciding the Steelers' offensive game plan.

mizzouristeeler
08-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Are you afraid arians might read this?

3rdandlong
08-15-2011, 05:41 PM

We're not "deciding" the gameplan. We're talking about what we think they should do. I get it, it's inapproproate to talk about the Steelers here. What the hell is a Steelers' forum for?

SteeleReign
08-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Are you afraid arians might read this?

I'm afraid he might NOT!

Steelersfan87
08-15-2011, 06:46 PM
My point was that you shouldn't mistake having an opinion with knowing what you're talking about, let alone knowing better than a professional.

55BaileyFan
08-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Run. Period.

We need to get back to the days of old and run the ball with Rashard and Isaac, force defenses to come up and then throw the ball.

We need to keep the ball away from our secondary and this is the way to do it. RUN, or don't...and then we can fire Arians.

3rdandlong
08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
My point was that you shouldn't mistake having an opinion with knowing what you're talking about, let alone knowing better than a professional.

I don't care if Brue Arians has an OC after his name. The man doesn't know how to call a game. I can think of countless examples of professionals who don't really know what they're doing. How many people have a college degree who don't know shit?

MACH1
08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
More bubble screens.

:chuckle:

BIGNASTY91
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
EXACTLY!!!! Thats what i've been thinking!!!!:thumbsup:
:tt04: :tt03: :tt02:

Steelerfreak58
08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
RUN -- RUN -- FORCED TO PASS... PUNT

steelerjim58
08-16-2011, 12:30 AM
This isn't a shot at anyone posting here or anyone period. But all this talk about "balance" drives me nuts. Sure, a 8 minute 16 play drive is nice, if it ends in a td, but it's still only one score. An offense like that puts the defense in the position of having to play exceptionally well. The Steelers d is capable of doing that, but we can't win a super bowl like that. Top offenses in the NFL are going to put up points on any d in the perfect conditions that the s/b is usually played. So for me I want to see at least 35 passes a game and a lot of no huddle.

MACH1
08-16-2011, 12:34 AM
This isn't a shot at anyone posting here or anyone period. But all this talk about "balance" drives me nuts. Sure, a 8 minute 16 play drive is nice, if it ends in a td, but it's still only one score. An offense like that puts the defense in the position of having to play exceptionally well. The Steelers d is capable of doing that, but we can't win a super bowl like that. Top offenses in the NFL are going to put up points on any d in the perfect conditions that the s/b is usually played. So for me I want to see at least 35 passes a game and a lot of no huddle.

You do realize the others team O can't score sitting on the sidelines.

steelerjim58
08-16-2011, 12:53 AM
You do realize the others team O can't score sitting on the sidelines.

Shoot I didn't. Thanks for clearing that up for me. You would think that after almost 50 years of watching football I would know that!!!!!!

Now do you realize that the point I am trying to make is that a grind it out offense keeps the game close and puts all the pressure on the defense to keep the other team out of the end zone? That will rarely work against teams such as New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, Philly or any team with a strong passing game.

MACH1
08-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Any team with a strong passing game is going to cut us up due to lack of cb talent.

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 04:06 AM
We don't need to run the ball more. You guys are still stuck in some 90s mentality that didn't work. We do that enough.

What we need to do is utilize the short passing game more. When I say short passing game, I don't mean that shitty WR screen that Arians loves. I'm talking about dump offs to Mendenhall in the flat, who was really successful in terms of YAC when he was thrown to. Also getting Heath more involved.

mizzouristeeler
08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
I think heath is waaaaaaay underutilized

Kingmagyar
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
just don't run Mewelde Moore to the outside ever. In fact don't run him ever period.

Also take what is there to take. Too many times on 3rd and short we do the illogical. If your a football team that executes then the simple is what gets the job done.

ebsteelers
08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
if it were me, im going 5 wide hail marys everytime... works in madden.. might as well worth in real life... lol

steeltheone
08-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Any team with a strong passing game is going to cut us up due to lack of cb talent.

Not just that...If we don't blitz, we get no pressure...Smith..Hampton..kiesel and Farrior are slow as they come.

wera176
08-17-2011, 11:41 AM
"grind it out offense keeps the game close and puts all the pressure on the defense to keep the other team out of the end zone"

:coffee:

While this is not wrong, it also keeps the defense on the side lines and rested. According to Troy, the way our defense is built (and executed) they need an offense to give them a break.

In a perfect world, and often this what I think Ben brings (or at least can bring) to this offense, is a grind it out offense that has big play ability. At least it was the year we went to Detroit... Good times, good times...

Bottom line, the team that has the advantage in TOP usually is the team with the 'W' Two ways to get there, big play defense and a possession offense. It seems the Steelers try to build their teams to that blue-print.

ebsteelers
08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
my general gameplan is to score more points then the other team..

SteeleReign
08-17-2011, 12:16 PM
The offensive gameplan, obviously, should be based on the personnel in place. IF the o-line can run block effectively, then they can be a run-dominant football team, take the air out of the ball, and play grind-em-up football.

However, Arian's mentality doesn't jive with that type of football, the o-line has to get MUCH better, and the corners have to stop with the 10-yard cushion. Until the secondary is able to do their part, the team can't sustain a minor lead.

Wallabeast17
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Offebsive Gameplan? Hmm..Win at any means necessary! Weather thats running 70% or passing 99%, I honestly don't care as long as we get the all important W!
Of course a bonus would to not loose anyone to injurys. :chuckle:

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 05:19 PM
If we have a healthy O-line and a healthy Troy at the end of the reg. season we will always have a chance. There was a lot of talk about Lebeau using a vanilla defense against Brady - not wanting to show some wrinkles in case they met again in the playoffs.

However, I'm convinced after watching SB XLV that there is nothing new to add - we just flat out got carved up by a great QB with speedy receivers. Steelers MUST get better play out of McFadden and Gay (hopefully others now that they are starting to stockpile depth a little) and let Troy be Troy - obviously him trying to help on the back end doesn't work - he isn't a huge playmaker there - get him roaming and let him use his instincts. He is no good on the back end against this type of offense.

We can all agree - the 10 to 15 yard cushions and tackling after catch is not working but I'm thinking they cant play bump and run and/or man the way the Jets can so that's why it hasn't happend yet (insert duh comment lol)

I look at it this way - we've beaten the Packers before, almost beat them again. We have beat the Jets who have beaten the Patriots so we can def. beat the Patriots. A dude can dream anyways . . .

MACH1
09-14-2011, 07:58 PM

So how'd that work out for ya?

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
i think the only offensive gameplan that could top the one arians already employs, is for ben to fart into his semi-closed fist and then open his hand underneath a DL's nose.

JustinM
09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Steelers follow 'lead dog' Mendenhall (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-follow-lead-dog-mendenhall/article_1542cb91-e4d2-553c-be0d-18544fabaf3b.html)

"After all, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians calls Mendenhall his "lead dog.""

ricardisimo
09-15-2011, 12:17 AM
But we don't have the personnel to do it. We have a nice set of WRs, it's true, but we'd need a completely different line. We'd also need a different style of quarterback, as well as a different team owner.

Steelers follow 'lead dog' Mendenhall

"After all, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians calls Mendenhall his "lead dog.""
More lies from Bruce. Can the team fine him for that?

tony hipchest
09-15-2011, 12:49 AM
But we don't have the personnel to do it. We have a nice set of WRs, it's true, but we'd need a completely different line. We'd also need a different style of quarterback, as well as a different team owner.

you make FAR too much sense, therefore are just a "homer". some folks around here dont like that. :nono:

btw... doug legursky says he LOVES this weeks installment of the gameplan (i didnt know the steelers offense actually had those).

im willing to bet its heavy on the run vs seattle.

most o-linemen, by nature, love to be the aggressor, butt heads, and run block. (thats not just my opinion, its general nfl knowledge).

MACH1
09-15-2011, 01:09 AM
you make FAR too much sense, therefore are just a "homer". some folks around here dont like that. :nono:

btw... doug legursky says he LOVES this weeks installment of the gameplan (i didnt know the steelers offense actually had those).

im willing to bet its heavy on the run vs seattle.

most o-linemen, by nature, love to be the aggressor, butt heads, and run block. (thats not just my opinion, its general nfl knowledge).

Would that be for just the first quarter or the whole game.

JustinM
09-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Would that be for just the first quarter or the whole game.

it will be until Seattle gets up on us by 14 points, then we will panic and start lobbing the ball around for 3 INT's

Rockonsteel
09-15-2011, 07:08 AM

More lies from Bruce. The team should fire him effective immediately!

There, fixed that for ya! And, you're quite welcome. :hatsoff:

Rockon

Curtain_of_Steel
09-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Protect the QB is a good start.

Let Ben roam if he wants too.

Protect the QB

More no huddles

Protect the QB

Doesn't matter how many WR's you line up if your can't protect the QB