PDA

View Full Version : Tony Hills ready to start at RG

Fire Arians
08-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Don't know if you guys seen this yet, but hopefully he can make a difference this year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228/1167600-66.stm

The Steelers have opened a drive-thru window at the right-guard position in their offensive line, hoping the next person in line is just what they ordered.

Tackle Chris Scott, a fifth-round pick in 2010, was the most recent to pass through, getting a chance to play extensively in the preseason opener Friday night against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field. But, in his first extensive action since being drafted, Scott had the window close quickly.

Next in line: Tony Hills.

Remember him?

After three years of little, if any, action at left tackle, Hills has been moved to right guard and will start there in the second preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles Thursday night at Heinz Field.,

"Tony is very athletic, maybe the most athletic guy in the group," offensive line coach Sean Kugler said. "We're trying to find the best spot for him where he can help himself and he can help us."

Hills, a fourth-round draft choice in 2008, was used at right guard against the Redskins, and he played so well that the Steelers have inserted him at that position with the first-team offense in practice.

Scott, who missed the entire preseason and was on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the first six games last season, will move back to tackle for now. He had trouble handling twists and stunts by the Redskins defensive linemen.

"Tony Hills had one of his best games as a guard," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "So we're going to give him a shot."

At 6 feet 5, 330 pounds, Hills may not have the prototypical body size to be a guard. But he does have the athleticism to run the team's counter plays that require the guard to pull to the other side.

And it would be an opportunity to play on a regular basis, something Hills hasn't done in three years. He has been inactive for 43 of the 48 games since he was drafted.

"Whatever it is I'm doing, I'm going to keep doing it," Hills said. "I go out there and play hard and aggressive and play with sound technique and not make the same mistake twice. That's what I'm doing

When you know what to do, it's easier to go out and play. Being my fourth year, it's not about knowing the offense now. It's reading defenses, seeing how guys play, different keys to help me up my game."

The Steelers are not giving up on their other two holdovers at right guard -- Ramon Foster, who started the final 10 games of the 2010 season; and Doug Legursky, who started four games there last season.

But they would like to find a player who is a hybrid of both.

Legursky is the smartest offensive lineman on the team -- even more so than center Maurkice Pouncey -- but he is also the smallest (6-1, 315). He might start at left guard against the Eagles if Chris Kemoeatu, who returned Monday to team drills at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, is held out.

Foster (6-6, 325) replaced Legursky for the final 10 games last season because the Steelers wanted a bigger body to cover a defensive tackle in the 4-3 fronts used by the other teams in the AFC North Division, especially the Baltimore Ravens.

Maybe Hills is that guy.

"He's got great athleticism," Kugler said. "His redirect, his pulling skills, his ability to adjust in space, those translate to guard. I'm not saying he can't play tackle, but we're going to see if those skills flourish at the guard spot. That would be for the benefit of the entire team."

Right now, Hills is considered the top backup to left tackle Jonathan Scott, but that role has a short shelf life. Rookie Marcus Gilbert, their No. 2 draft pick, will be given a chance at some point and will make the roster. And the Steelers still have not dismissed the possibility of bringing back Flozell Adams, their starting right tackle in 2010.

"It's been three years I've been here, and that's what got me to here," Hills said. "And here is where I know the entire offense. I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com ; Twitter@gerrydulac.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228/1167600-66-2.stm#ixzz1VDGWIvce

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228/1167600-66.stm#ixzz1VDGQybqJ

ebsteelers
08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
lets hope so... crossing my fingers

stiller39
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Coaches and management must have seen something in this guy to give him a roster spot. I hope he pans out and kudos to him for taking the next step up.

Fire Arians
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM
yah, well according to this blog, coach kugler is saying he's probably the best athlete on the line, which is probably why they held on to him for a long time. hopefully he can put that talent to use for us this year

ebsteelers
08-16-2011, 01:38 PM
for some guys it take a little bit longer to get it... so hopefully the move helps him out

cloppbeast
08-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Where's Thumper?

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Where's Thumper?

Probably off somewhere conjuring up yet another theory based on marshmallow cream.

truesteelerfan
08-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Sounds good to me, hope he makes the most of his likely last shot to earn some of that money he's received and benefit our team.

pancake
08-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I posted this earlier, but... Robert Gallery was awful at tackle and has done well at guard, maybe Tony can do the same...

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
lol@"best athlete on the line." He doesn't come close to Pouncey in terms of athleticism.

Fire Arians
08-16-2011, 02:53 PM
hills was considered to be 1st round talent but stock dropped due to two bad injuries in his college career. athleticism was always one of his high points, durability is the biggest concern. he could be more athletic than pouncey, it wouldn't surprise me. skill now, is a different story.

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 03:13 PM
lol@"best athlete on the line." He doesn't come close to Pouncey in terms of athleticism.

What makes you think that you know better than the o-line coach?

thumper
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Where's Thumper?

Right here. I have asserted all along that Hills was not legit
LT material, from the day they drafted him. This PROVES I
was right again. He clearly isn't LT material. If he was, they
wouldn't be moving him to RG, would they?

The Thump ain't no chump, matter of fact he is like Trump:
mad rhymes and sick beats.

Steelersfan87
08-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Right here. I have asserted all along that Hills was not legit
LT material, from the day they drafted him. This PROVES I
was right again. He clearly isn't LT material. If he was, they
wouldn't be moving him to RG, would they?

Tony Hills is still the primary backup for left tackle.

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 04:04 PM
What makes you think that you know better than the o-line coach?

Like the time I called Kraig Urbik being a bust as soon as we drafted him.

I feel sorry if you think the Steelers coaching staff is the know all end all of the NFL

thumper
08-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Tony Hills is still the primary backup for left tackle.

And that proves what, again? He is the back up to a position already
manned by a below average starter to begin with, so what does
that make him? Below, below average?

kirklandrules
08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
I feel sorry if you think the Steelers coaching staff is the know all end all of the NFL

I think he's indicating that the o-line coach is a better source than you (not the entire NFL). But I agree with you that it's laughable to think Hills is the best talent on the o-line. The coaches (not just Steelers coaches) try too hard to say something encouraging in the hopes it helps motivate certain guys. I'm still laughing about Colon being a top tackle in the league. I like the guy, but he isn't close to the top. Hills isn't close to being as talented as Pouncey. I'll root for the guy and hope he makes the team better, but that sh!t line didn't stick with me.

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 04:29 PM

YOu may or may not have called Urbik a bust, but even if you did that's not exactly a huge accomplishment. Also keep in mind that the "bust" in question actually started a few games last year and is listed as the starting RG this year.

The Steelers coaching staff isn't the know all end all of the NFL; however, they certainly have more insight than you.

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 04:34 PM
I think he's indicating that the o-line coach is a better source than you (not the entire NFL). But I agree with you that it's laughable to think Hills is the best talent on the o-line. The coaches (not just Steelers coaches) try too hard to say something encouraging in the hopes it helps motivate certain guys. I'm still laughing about Colon being a top tackle in the league. I like the guy, but he isn't close to the top. Hills isn't close to being as talented as Pouncey. I'll root for the guy and hope he makes the team better, but that sh!t line didn't stick with me.

WOW, reading is fundamental

Our coach didn't say he had the most talent on the oline. He said he might be the most athletic.

"Tony is very athletic, maybe the most athletic guy in the group," .

thumper
08-16-2011, 04:34 PM

No, Dan, the front office and ownership is infallible. They can't possibly
make bad decisions because they get paid to make those decisions. Like
when Isiah Thomas was paid to be GM for the Knicks. He must have only
made perfect decisions since that was his job.

Hey, you can't possibly know better than they do, since they are hired
for the job and you are not. Didn't you know? End of story. No other
possible options. Front office and ownership simply make perfect
decisions at all times and we aren't even allowed to question them.

I hated the Bruce Davis, Spaeth, Keenan Lewis, Sepvuleda, etc. picks.
But I couldn't possibly be right. How could I know better than the
front office? Not possible. They are perfect.

thumper
08-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Our coach didn't say he had the most talent on the oline. He said he might be the most athletic.

I don't know how much being "athletic" is good for if you are as soft as
cotton candy and about as sturdy..

55BaileyFan
08-16-2011, 04:41 PM
I wrote a blog about that before Post...I have a buddy there and he is copying...Just kidding but I did say it a day before them, lol.

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know how much being "athletic" is good for if you are as soft as
cotton candy and about as sturdy..

This is 2nd or 3rd time I've seen you state that Hills is soft or weak. Do you have a source to back that claim up? (other than your usual gibberish)

kirklandrules
08-16-2011, 04:53 PM

O.k. you're right ... and yet he's not. If Hills was "maybe the most athletic guy in the group" we would have seen something by now. I watched him in college ... he was good and I was glad he was drafted by the Steelers. I hope he can kick ass as a RG. But I'm still not going to believe that he's "maybe the most athletic guy in the group". I also watched Pouncey in college ... my worthless opinion is that Pouncey was, in college and is today, far more atheletic than Hills by a long shot. I also believe that Legursky is more atheletic than Hills. Legs has outstanding feet and agility and is (again, in my worthless opinion) the 2nd "most athletic guy of the group", behind Pouncey. So I'm saying the coach is throwing out a line of sh!t and it's not sticking with me.

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 05:05 PM

Yeah I knew that was a misquote. It's well known that Pouncey is our most athletic player out of that group of mediocre lineman. He's probably the most athletic offensive lineman in the league. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
O.k. you're right ... and yet he's not. If Hills was "maybe the most athletic guy in the group" we would have seen something by now. I watched him in college ... he was good and I was glad he was drafted by the Steelers. I hope he can kick ass as a RG. But I'm still not going to believe that he's "maybe the most athletic guy in the group". I also watched Pouncey in college ... my worthless opinion is that Pouncey was, in college and is today, far more atheletic than Hills by a long shot. I also believe that Legursky is more atheletic than Hills. Legs has outstanding feet and agility and is (again, in my worthless opinion) the 2nd "most athletic guy of the group", behind Pouncey. So I'm saying the coach is throwing out a line of sh!t and it's not sticking with me.

But, you're watching on tv for a couple hours a week. Our coaching staff and front office work with these guys for 8-12 hours a day. They have more insight and knowledge than all of us combined. The only advantage that we have as armchair quarterbacks is hindsight. For any of us to imply from the comfort our living room or office that we're a better judge of talent is complete and utter bullshit. And it certainly has nothing to do with the coaching staff being infallible or any other such nonsense.

It's beer:30! CHeers!

Steelersfan87
08-16-2011, 07:13 PM
The only advantage that we have as armchair quarterbacks is hindsight. For any of us to imply from the comfort our living room or office that we're a better judge of talent is complete and utter bullshit. And it certainly has nothing to do with the coaching staff being infallible or any other such nonsense.

Well said. Wow, you didn't like Kraig Urbik when they drafted him. Okay, what did you think of Mike Wallace when they drafted him? What about Aaron Smith? Ike Taylor? Antonio Brown? Brett Keisel? Stevenson Sylvester? Did you even know who Baron Batch was?

thumper
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
This is 2nd or 3rd time I've seen you state that Hills is soft or weak. Do you have a source to back that claim up? (other than your usual gibberish)

The past and present injury and the fact that this latest injury has happened at this juncture, could cause Hills to drop significantly in the draft. Pro Football Weekly said of Hills, 'Texas OLT Tony Hills is billed to be a great athlete within the program, but he does not play with any explosion or have great mobility for the left side, and as a right tackle, he will always have a leverage and power deficiency. He has overcome a drop foot condition suffered as a senior in high school, but team medical staffs will have to evaluate the injury closely, as do scouts watching him, and it could have a considerable effect on his draft value.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1244

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Well said. Wow, you didn't like Kraig Urbik when they drafted him. Okay, what did you think of Mike Wallace when they drafted him? What about Aaron Smith? Ike Taylor? Antonio Brown? Brett Keisel? Stevenson Sylvester? Did you even know who Baron Batch was?

Wow, maybe I should have said reading comprehension is fundamental.

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1244

An clip from PFW regurgitated on fantasy football toolbox is your gospel? This is the "insight" that you've claimed too have in the past?

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 10:51 PM

I still have no idea who Baron Batch is and don't care. I was hoping for Noel Devine.

And for your info, I loved the 2010 draft. Every single player we drafted except for Worilds (check previous threads or the SA forum...same username). I was screaming for the FO to take Tate/Cody. Sanders was a reach but I thought he was a solid prospect even though he came from a small school with all of his receptions and amazing combine.

And I'm glad you threw in Antonio Brown. Why don't you check out the last few threads of me saying why Brown should be the #2 receiver over Ward. Glad your taking my lead in jumping on the bandwagon :thumbsup:

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 10:55 PM
YOu may or may not have called Urbik a bust, but even if you did that's not exactly a huge accomplishment. Also keep in mind that the "bust" in question actually started a few games last year and is listed as the starting RG this year.

The Steelers coaching staff isn't the know all end all of the NFL; however, they certainly have more insight than you.

He sucks.

Him and Frank Summers are absolute bums. Oh and that Raptor-armed AQ Shipley too. Three players I totally despised before we drafted them. The 2009 draft was wretched. They lucked out on Wallace.

Steelersfan87
08-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Wow, maybe I should have said reading comprehension is fundamental.

Only the "well said" was addressed to you. The rest of my post was a follow-up on yours. My reading comprehension was fine.

I still have no idea who Baron Batch is and don't care. I was hoping for Noel Devine.

Well, evidently Devine is a free agent right now after the Eagles waived him following signing him as an undrafted free agent. The front office must be blind for not scooping him up.

And for your info, I loved the 2010 draft. Every single player we drafted except for Worilds (check previous threads or the SA forum...same username). I was screaming for the FO to take Tate/Cody. Sanders was a reach but I thought he was a solid prospect even though he came from a small school with all of his receptions and amazing combine.

Jason Worilds has done about as much as Golden Tate and Terrence Cody have done so far, especially with respect to what they were expected to do immediately after they were drafted. I've heard a lot more disappointment than excitement over Tate from Seahawk fans. And Worilds wasn't taken to make an immediate impact. He is in the process still of transitioning from a college DE. And he did show great awareness on a few plays during the Redskins game. There was one play in which Grossman was rolling to his left with a back I believe coming out of the backfield, but Worilds maintained his position instead of biting on either the back or the QB and forced an incompletion, if my memory is correct. That's just an example of his game progressing from a mental standpoint.

And I'm glad you threw in Antonio Brown. Why don't you check out the last few threads of me saying why Brown should be the #2 receiver over Ward. Glad your taking my lead in jumping on the bandwagon :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if you're willfully misunderstanding me, but my point was regarding the time of the draft, not what you make of Antonio Brown right now. You would indeed be one of very few people I'm sure that were excited after the Steelers selected Brown, and certainly the only one calling for him to be the #2 receiver. My point is that it's a lot easier to blame an organization for their busts than to praise them for their boons on draft day and to admit that you didn't know shit at the time. about a draft pick that turned out to be great.

tony hipchest
08-17-2011, 12:09 AM

...even though he's still suckling on mommas teats.

dumper... youre a rapper for the crapper, but thanks so much for providing the laughture.

T-3Iq3XQkAw

i like how the steelers show patience and faith in their convictions. while it may not work out well for someone like sweed, it very well could turn out great for someone like hills.

if you follow more teams than just the steelers you see it happen around the league every year.

coach kugler really seems to be proving himself as a great hire every day. :thumbsup:

russ grimm woulda still had flozell and starks on this roster, and larry Z woulda still still been expecting them to coach themselves.

cloppbeast
08-17-2011, 07:46 AM
The Thump ain't no chump, matter of fact he is like Trump:.

Just like the Trump, you think you're smarter than you actually are.

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Only the "well said" was addressed to you. The rest of my post was a follow-up on yours. My reading comprehension was fine.

Well, evidently Devine is a free agent right now after the Eagles waived him following signing him as an undrafted free agent. The front office must be blind for not scooping him up.

Jason Worilds has done about as much as Golden Tate and Terrence Cody have done so far, especially with respect to what they were expected to do immediately after they were drafted. I've heard a lot more disappointment than excitement over Tate from Seahawk fans. And Worilds wasn't taken to make an immediate impact. He is in the process still of transitioning from a college DE. And he did show great awareness on a few plays during the Redskins game. There was one play in which Grossman was rolling to his left with a back I believe coming out of the backfield, but Worilds maintained his position instead of biting on either the back or the QB and forced an incompletion, if my memory is correct. That's just an example of his game progressing from a mental standpoint.

I'm not sure if you're willfully misunderstanding me, but my point was regarding the time of the draft, not what you make of Antonio Brown right now. You would indeed be one of very few people I'm sure that were excited after the Steelers selected Brown, and certainly the only one calling for him to be the #2 receiver. My point is that it's a lot easier to blame an organization for their busts than to praise them for their boons on draft day and to admit that you didn't know shit at the time. about a draft pick that turned out to be great.

I thought everyone in that class was a solid pick outside of Worilds. The same applies to this years class. I couldn't of asked for a better first 3 rounds. You can't say, "Worilds has done just as much as (insert player on another team)," because the scenarios are different. Tate plays with us, he has a franchise QB and takes over Emmanuel Sanders playing time. Without a doubt Tate is a better receiver than Sanders. Cody would have been worked in with Hampton easily and we could have parted with Hoke.

In 2009, I didn't like any of our picks. I was familiar with most of the draftees and all knew they would not pan out in the pros, especially Kraig Urbik and fat Frank Summers. I wasn't even high on the Ziggy pick. I didn't think he'd fit our 3-4 but he was probably the BPA next to Rey Maualuga(who we should have drafted in the first). He may have proved me wrong with the way he played last season but he did have a steep learning curve, as expected. Cameron Heyward is a much better fit as a 3-4 DE.