PDA

View Full Version : Cotchery signed for vet minimum..

Wallabeast17
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't think this was posted anywhere.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/08/report-jerricho-cotchery-contract-was-for-vet-minimum/

Anyways thats good news especially for anyone saying it was a waste. For the price i say it was well worth it!

Fire Arians
08-16-2011, 06:59 PM
for sure. even for the 1.8 mil the jets were paying him i'd say it was a good deal. for less than half of that, even better

i like the guy even more now, he coulda took his money and stayed put on the bench, but took a huge pay cut just for the chance to play, those are the kinda players i want on my team

theplatypus
08-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Awesome, it's really too bad that the front office doesn't know what they're doing.

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Awesome, it's really too bad that the front office doesn't know what they're doing.

Agreed - should have released Wallace to free up money for Plax

fer522
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM

:chuckle:

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Getting him at Vet minimum was a steal - even if he ends up at 4 or 5 - I'll take a proven vet over Battle and even this Grisham guy. How many WRs do we end up keeping on roster? Even though I think Ward is going to have a bounce back year he shouldn't be expected to be an every down or every series guy - give him a rest against some lesser teams if we are up huge at the start of the 4th quarter. Cotchery would fit in perfectly in these situations IMHO.

Its only his second year, but Sanders durability is already starting to come into question for me. Look in the past too with our injuries at critical junctures - we almost always end up finding out it was worse or just as bad as we thought ala Troy.

I trust the FO getting Cotchery although I wouldn't confuse it with anything other than money in comparing to Randle El. Every time El's number was called he came through with a big first down catch and that 2 pt conversion, even though we lost, was huge.The guy just wasn't willing to take a hometown discount. Now I'm rambling . . .:thumbsup:

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Getting him at Vet minimum was a steal - even if he ends up at 4 or 5 - I'll take a proven vet over Battle and even this Grisham guy. How many WRs do we end up keeping on roster? Even though I think Ward is going to have a bounce back year he shouldn't be expected to be an every down or every series guy - give him a rest against some lesser teams if we are up huge at the start of the 4th quarter. Cotchery would fit in perfectly in these situations IMHO.

Its only his second year, but Sanders durability is already starting to come into question for me. Look in the past too with our injuries at critical junctures - we almost always end up finding out it was worse or just as bad as we thought ala Troy.

I trust the FO getting Cotchery although I wouldn't confuse it with anything other than money in comparing to Randle El. Every time El's number was called he came through with a big first down catch and that 2 pt conversion, even though we lost, was huge.The guy just wasn't willing to take a hometown discount. Now I'm rambling . . .:thumbsup:

Randle El came up huge in that Patriots game. Punt returns? Spectacular.

ebsteelers
08-17-2011, 11:32 AM

haha,

i heard we were gonna cut ben to get plax.

finesward
08-17-2011, 11:42 AM

The foot does worry me as well. Reminds me of the WR/KR we had who was always nagged by that damn foot/ankle injury. Willie Reid... and most recently limas sweed who hasn't been able to stay healthy (although i think his major malfunction was mental toughness)

finesward
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM

They could of taken the vet min they used signing crotch (my new nickname for him :chuckle: ) and used that money to sign asante samuel... duhhh I hate it when they do that. Why didn't they go after alan faneca to shore up the offensive line??? If we would of had Plax and Faneca back this team would be SB bound.... stupid rooneys, don't know what they're doing

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
They could of taken the vet min they used signing crotch (my new nickname for him :chuckle: ) and used that money to sign asante samuel... duhhh I hate it when they do that. Why didn't they go after alan faneca to shore up the offensive line??? If we would of had Plax and Faneca back this team would be SB bound.... stupid rooneys, don't know what they're doing

Cutting Gay+Battle+Cotchery's contract+3 million left in cap space could easily sign Asante to a 2-3 year deal.

ebsteelers
08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
how much money would cutting those guys have given us?

doesnt samuels make near ten million a year?

ebsteelers
08-17-2011, 01:14 PM
btw asking price for samuels is 2 2nd round picks.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/127894653.html?cmpid=15585797

Wallabeast17
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/127894653.html?cmpid=15585797

Not worth it IMO. To give up something like that would only happen if we lost Ike, as in no true starting corner. Thats way too much for a guy that would be the second corner(yes he would on this team). Samuel isn't going anywhere this year.

theplatypus
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
how much money would cutting those guys have given us?

doesnt samuels make near ten million a year?

I believe his cap number is just under 10 million this year. We would more than likely lose Timmons and or TroyP as well.

ebsteelers
08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
thats what i kind of thought..

samuels is not worth it..

its not like he is gonna come here for peanuts

Fire Arians
08-17-2011, 03:32 PM

good luck with that, i wouldnt even give up 2 2nd rounders for revis, unless one of the 2nd rounders we have to give up is limas sweed:chuckle:

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Samuels would not ask for $10 million here. No doubt in my mind he would restructure to about $5 million similar to what Cotchery did being basically shipped out of Philly.

I'd be willing to deal a 2nd round pick for him. I mean our 2nd round picks outside of Woodley turn out to be guys like Worilds, trading down for Kraig Urbik, Sweed (actually can't blame them for choosing him, easily BPA), Colclough, etc.

theplatypus
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Samuels would not ask for $10 million here. No doubt in my mind he would restructure to about $5 million similar to what Cotchery did being basically shipped out of Philly.

I'd be willing to deal a 2nd round pick for him. I mean our 2nd round picks outside of Woodley turn out to be guys like Worilds, trading down for Kraig Urbik, Sweed (actually can't blame them for choosing him, easily BPA), Colclough, etc.

I'm impressed you've got a crystal ball and you read minds.

finesward
08-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Cutting Gay+Battle+Cotchery's contract+3 million left in cap space could easily sign Asante to a 2-3 year deal.

With the new kickoff rule I wouldn't mind losing battle, gay is a solid nickle back (not great but solid) and I'm not sure the youngins would be ready this year, at least not the start of it. My problem with cutting those guys and going after samuel this year is potentially losing more valuable players to sign Timmons next year. Samuel and Timmons isn't worth losing that amount of players (and/or draft picks) IMO. Plus not having crotch would leave us with reggie kelley as the fill in if any of our WR's go down.

We all want a solid #2 but it just doesn't seem feasible to sign a big name without losing Timmons or Troy P next year. I'd rather take our chances with the guys we drafted and try to coach them up. Bmac is serviceable for now. Lets hope he can get healthy and stay that way so we don't see a repeat of last year. *not that last year was soooo bad ;)

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 10:06 PM
All I know is Gay has got to go. I'm high on Curtis Brown though and I was a big fan of his in the draft. I was shocked we got him in the 3rd. Hopefully he shows something good tomorrow. We won't make a championship run with McFadden and Gay at #2 and #3, respectively.

stb_steeler
08-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Thats Rumor of the year award......:thumbsup:

Steelersfan87
08-17-2011, 10:54 PM
We won't make a championship run with McFadden and Gay at #2 and #3, respectively.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure the Steelers have already done that multiple times. Weird.

DanRooney
08-18-2011, 01:51 AM
Really? Because I'm pretty sure the Steelers have already done that multiple times. Weird.

Last year we were very fortunate to dodge any pass-first teams in the post season. The ones we did play pretty much embarrassed those two. Is it a coincidence that we lost only to teams that spread us out? Maybe you're hoping for the planets to line up again so we can play Sanchez, Flacco, and someone from the NFC West in the playoffs.

tanda10506
08-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Last year we were very fortunate to dodge any pass-first teams in the post season. The ones we did play pretty much embarrassed those two. Is it a coincidence that we lost only to teams that spread us out? Maybe you're hoping for the planets to line up again so we can play Sanchez, Flacco, and someone from the NFC West in the playoffs.

Agreed. I don't think we can keep saying "We've done it before". Playing the Colts and Patriots in the playoffs last year probably would have been a different story. A team this great can overcome the atrocities of McFadden and Gay, but not all the time, and especially not against Brady. I'm not saying we went to the Super Bowl last year cause we didn't play the Pats, I'm saying that the odds of us avoiding them in the playoffs ore beating them with McFadden and Gay at #2 and 3 are low. They are probably the biggest weak link on the team and the whole world saw it in February, teams are going to try and spread us more this year.I know this might not be the best analogy, but even if you have a really good car, if the car has a problem and you keep trying to drive it cross country, it's eventually going to not make it. It may make once or twice, maybe for a while, but it will not continue to make it for very long. We need to fix the problem, last year is no guarantee for this year.

That said I am optimistic, and although I think it's unlikely, it is possible to do it again.

Steelersfan87
08-18-2011, 03:09 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/7/22/2259452/statistically-the-best-cornerbacks-in-the-afc-north

DanRooney
08-18-2011, 03:32 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/7/22/2259452/statistically-the-best-cornerbacks-in-the-afc-north

Yeah read this article a while back. Is this supposed to prove something other than McFadden and (moreso) William Gay are horrible cover corners? It's been well known that we have some of the best tackling corners in the league who are very good in run support. These stats basically say:

-All 3 of our top corners have no playmaking ability outside than rushing the passer (aka they don't make plays on the ball when it's in the air)
-They allow too many catches (aka poor in coverage)

Steelersfan87
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
The Steelers do not play a cover system. I don't care how many completions and yards a secondary allows anyway. I'm more interested in how many points they give up. Besides, I highly doubt that Gay will still be the nickel back by midseason. Lewis or Brown will be in that role. Both have better cover skills than Gay and McFadden. Who knows, Lewis may even unseat McFadden at some point this year, although he has an awful lot to prove before that can happen. I do not believe Brown can win a starting job this season simply because of his inexperience, but it's possible for next season if he is what many believe he is.

troypthebest
08-18-2011, 11:46 AM
He's a bargain for the minimum!

theplatypus
08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
The Steelers do not play a cover system. I don't care how many completions and yards a secondary allows anyway. I'm more interested in how many points they give up. Besides, I highly doubt that Gay will still be the nickel back by midseason. Lewis or Brown will be in that role. Both have better cover skills than Gay and McFadden. Who knows, Lewis may even unseat McFadden at some point this year, although he has an awful lot to prove before that can happen. I do not believe Brown can win a starting job this season simply because of his inexperience, but it's possible for next season if he is what many believe he is.

You're wasting your breath. You could spell it out in 42 different languages and they still can't or won't grasp the concept behind our defense and what is asked of the cb's. Amusingly enough it's frequently the same crowd that uses Arians' "predictability" as proof that he sucks. :banging:

DanRooney
08-18-2011, 12:54 PM
You're wasting your breath. You could spell it out in 42 different languages and they still can't or won't grasp the concept behind our defense and what is asked of the cb's. Amusingly enough it's frequently the same crowd that uses Arians' "predictability" as proof that he sucks. :banging:

Ah you're right. The Steelers purposefully put mediocre corners and offensive coordinators on the team. It's part of their scheme and the grandmaster plan to fool guys like Billy Belichick.

We lost the SB last year on purpose, too. Also part of the scheme to confuse other teams into thinking we have a weak secondary.

theplatypus
08-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Ah you're right. The Steelers purposefully put mediocre corners and offensive coordinators on the team. It's part of their scheme and the grandmaster plan to fool guys like Billy Belichick.

We lost the SB last year on purpose, too. Also part of the scheme to confuse other teams into thinking we have a weak secondary.

You can run around screaming about the cornerbacks until the cows come home but 3 turnovers is what cost us that game.

zsheik22
08-19-2011, 04:12 AM
You can run around screaming about the cornerbacks until the cows come home but 3 turnovers is what cost us that game.

If you put it that way.... can I say that the packers ridiculous amount of easy passes dropped would have made the game not even close? The D didnt step up like it needed to, that's the bottom line (which was pretty rare). The turnovers were the nail in the coffin.

DanRooney
08-19-2011, 04:32 AM
Yeah you could argue it was our offense turning the ball over 3 times lost us the game. Or you could argue it was the ZERO turnovers our defense generated that cost us the game. Either way our corners still suck and are exposed pretty bad without Troy being 100 percent.

ricardisimo
08-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Well, for one brief, shining moment, Gay and Lewis looked fantastic. Meanwhile Curtis Brown made Mike Kafka look like Steve Young. I think it's safe to say he needs to be groomed a while longer.

DanRooney
08-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Well, for one brief, shining moment, Gay and Lewis looked fantastic. Meanwhile Curtis Brown made Mike Kafka look like Steve Young. I think it's safe to say he needs to be groomed a while longer.

Gay and Lewis weren't even the best CBs out there last night.. It was Donovan Warren; who was starting over both. He was making plays left and right the whole game.

Lewis had an INT but it was a poor pass thrown right to him. I actually have no idea what Gay did all night.

MasterOfPuppets
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
i coulda swore i opened a thread about cotchery....:huh:

but all i see are posts about McGay or gayfad

kirklandrules
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Yeah, you did ... and he looked pretty good last night didn't he?

MasterOfPuppets
08-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah, you did ... and he looked pretty good last night didn't he?
indeed... i had no problem with the signing , unlike i did with EL , battle and foote.

kirklandrules
08-19-2011, 02:33 PM
indeed... i had no problem with the signing , unlike i did with EL , battle and foote.

Right there with you. Barring injury, Cotchery at the vet minimum might just provide the best ROI (return on investment) this team has. It takes a man with a purpose to give up $1.8 million and say he's going to play for the Steelers at the minimum.

stb_steeler
08-19-2011, 04:44 PM

but all i see are posts about McGay or gayfad

the guy caught everything thrown to him...cant say we didnt waste a roster spot on him so far!

Wallace17
08-19-2011, 07:30 PM
I admit I was wrong loving me some catchery!

Wallabeast17
08-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I admit I was wrong loving me some catchery!

FIrst time I read that I thought it said loving me some crotch.. :rofl:

jwmann2
08-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Not sure who has seen Cotchery play in person but I have seen him play twice in person and the man is a physical specimen. I never considered Pennington to be an elite QB and I dont think two years with Sanchez tells Cotchery's story.

OX1947
08-20-2011, 02:56 AM
If you put it that way.... can I say that the packers ridiculous amount of easy passes dropped would have made the game not even close? The D didnt step up like it needed to, that's the bottom line (which was pretty rare). The turnovers were the nail in the coffin.

There is truth to what you say, but despite the defense, if the Steelers have 2 turnovers instead of 3, they probably win the title. Which is why the thought of it makes me ill to no end.