PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Steelers record will be ?

ebsteelers
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
and how far do you see us going?

i think its a favorable schedule hopefully 11-5, and my guess would be losing to the pats in the playoffs ( hope im wrong)

whats everyone else thinking?

im sure danrooney, and dumper head

are predicting 0-16 seasons, so they can run the front office next year.

theplatypus
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Personally It's really too early to tell. Need to see how everything shapes up over the next few weeks. If Ben takes the next step as a qb and the o-line can play at a level at or above last year we're likely to see a very explosive offense. On defense it comes down too injuries again. If they can remain healthy they have the talent to be dominant. It doesn't hurt that we've got fairly light schedule.

One thing that I really like seeing is what appears to be a very strong nucleus for the future. We've got young anchors on both lines, at least two very good young lb'ers. Wallace,brown, and sanders could be a force for the next 5 years or so. I could see them using a high draft pick on a stud rb in 2012-13. All in all things look good in Steeler country.

Wallabeast17
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I would say at least 10 wins. Maybe 12-4. However, if we get a few injurys, especially OL, Ben, Troy. Then we are in for a long season.:twocents:

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
and how far do you see us going?

i think its a favorable schedule hopefully 11-5, and my guess would be losing to the pats in the playoffs ( hope im wrong)

whats everyone else thinking?

im sure danrooney, and dumper head

are predicting 0-16 seasons, so they can run the front office next year.

I'm surprised you don't have them going 19-0 with your pom poms always waiving. How can we possibly lose with our God's in the FO?? They can do no wrong. Homer much? :wink02:

I actually have them 12-4, maybe 14-2 if they do everything right (demote Ward to #4, increase Brown/Sander's playing time/rotate Heyward and Ziggy in more/cut Gay/utilize Brown and Butler/use Redman more/bring back Flozell)

Fire Arians
08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
11-5, tough schedule but they should be a player this year for the title

12-4 or better if they can fix issues in the secondary. I'm not worried about the offense at all this year (unless ben gets hurt)

Pittsburgh43
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I'd have to go with 12-4, maybe 13-3.

The first 9 games are tough with the likes of @Baltimore, @Houston, @Indy and home games against New England and Baltimore. We do have very winnable games of Seattle, @Arizona, Jacksonville and Tennessee sprinkled in there. I consider no game a guarantee, but we do catch somewhat of a break in the 2nd half. Starting out the stretch run with away games at Cincy and Kansas City, the season closes with Cincy, Cleveland, @San Francisco, St. Louis and @Cleveland all in a row. We'll close out the AFC North during that run, and possibly the #1 overall seed in the AFC.

Steelers>NFL
08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Every year I think 11-5. This year is no exception. Will win the north.

Maybe advance to AFC championship game. Where weak DBs let team down in this game.

mizzouristeeler
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
11-5 if ben stays healthy

ebsteelers
08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised you don't have them going 19-0 with your pom poms always waiving. How can we possibly lose with our God's in the FO?? They can do no wrong. Homer much? :wink02:

I actually have them 12-4, maybe 14-2 if they do everything right (demote Ward to #4, increase Brown/Sander's playing time/rotate Heyward and Ziggy in more/cut Gay/utilize Brown and Butler/use Redman more/bring back Flozell)

well for someone who's name on this site is based off one of the most important people ever in the steelers organization, i would think you'd have more faith..

not every pick is gonna be a home run.. if that was the case the bengals would be good. lol

:tt04:

LVSteelersfan
08-17-2011, 02:28 PM
My mind wants to say 12-4 but my gut tells me 10-6 because of how bad they play when they go west to play. Of course there is no way to predict how well the secondary will play this year. I am hoping the Oline gels enough to help us have that explosive offense that they have been on the verge of the past couple years but are just not quite there yet.

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm going to stick with 11-5. I'm predicting losses @Bmore, @Houston, vs. Tenn, @Arizona, vs. New England. Very bumpy first half and then we'll run the table, including playoffs and Super Bowl. I forsee us being a #5 seed and having to beat Baltimore, Patriots and then Chargers to go to Super Bowl where we'll face Falcons. Bird slayers are back! Ben will get his SB MVP for game winning touchdown in first SB overtime. Hines will ride off into the sunset and Harrison will Cobra Clutch Goodell on the podium. Is that a good prediction?

Wallabeast17
08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
My mind wants to say 12-4 but my gut tells me 10-6 because of how bad they play when they go west to play. Of course there is no way to predict how well the secondary will play this year. I am hoping the Oline gels enough to help us have that explosive offense that they have been on the verge of the past couple years but are just not quite there yet.

Pretty much sums it up..
Our offense should be very,very explosive except for one part and thats the o line and it is keeping the offense from unleashing itself againts opposing D's.

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 02:40 PM
I actually think we'll see a great O-line performance this year and finally get some explosiveness on O. I think we'll see a slight improvement in the secondary just because of the depth we are adding. Nice to see McFadden and Gay get a little uncomfortable now that they've had more competition than ever.

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I just want one healthy season for O-line and Troy - just one. Heck - sit Troy with some commanding leads if we have to. I'd also love to see Redman get about 40% of the carries to keep Mendy fresher.

cloppbeast
08-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Luckily, the Steelers only play a few teams with good quarterbacks, Patriots, Colts, Texans, maybe the Rams, and maybe the Ravens.

I think they split with the Browns (for serious) and Ravens, lose to the Patriots and Colts, and will find a way to lose 2 other games.

10-6

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Does 10-6 get us in the dance this year?

Fire Arians
08-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Does 10-6 get us in the dance this year?

if someone knocks out new england for us

thumper
08-17-2011, 04:20 PM

:sofunny::sofunny::rofl::rofl:

Your hopes will not be realized. Ward won't be demoted to #4. Not
going to happen. And they probably won't pick up Adams either, but
I really hope they do. They are shit at OL and thin on top of being shit.
Not a good combo.

And, for those who say it's too early to make predictions, you are 100%
right. That being said, I reserve the right to change my prognostications
as new info. comes in. This is just for fun. I will revise my predictions as
things change. But as of now....

Sunday, Sept. 11 at Baltimore - Coin toss. I could see us winning but
at the same time losing Ben to injury this game. Our OL just sucks
and Balt. won't miss the opp. to cream Ben. They are sick of losing to
him. The front office has horribly botched the OL situation, and it will
become obvious week 1. I see a rash of injuries this game. I will go with
a LOSS.

Sunday, Sept. 18 SEATTLE - Win. We are at home vs. a team with lots
of holes.

Sunday, Sept. 25 at Indianapolis - LOSS. Manning will be getting
timing back by week 3. It is well-known you beat our D by spreading
us out, and Indy will do so while we might be without Ben.

Sunday, Oct. 2 at Houston - If Houston learns from others to spread
us out and throw, they will win. If they try to run, they lose. If Ben is still
out, loss.

Sunday, Oct. 9 TENNESSEE - Win

Sunday, Oct. 16 JACKSONVILLE - Jags still have too many holes. Win

Sunday, Oct. 23 at Arizona - Could be tricky, but WIN

Sunday, Oct. 30 NEW ENGLAND - LOSS. Brady laughs at our D. LAUGHS

Sunday, Nov. 6 BALTIMORE - At home, prime time. Win.

Sunday, Nov. 13 at Cincinnati - Cinci will be 1 of worst teams. WIN

Sunday, Nov. 27* at Kansas City - Win unless KC gets much improved
in passing attack. Don't know if they will. WIN

Sunday, Dec. 4* CINCINNATI - WIN

Thursday, Dec. 8 CLEVELAND - WIN

Monday, Dec. 19 at San Francisco - WIN

Saturday, Dec. 24* ST. LOUIS - WIN

Sunday, Jan. 1* at Cleveland 1 p.m. - Depends if we need it or not. Loss.

11-5 or 10-6. We will have a good deal of injuries that will hurt
our chances in the post season.

thumper
08-17-2011, 04:24 PM
I actually think we'll see a great O-line performance this year and finally get some explosiveness on O. I think we'll see a slight improvement in the secondary just because of the depth we are adding. Nice to see McFadden and Gay get a little uncomfortable now that they've had more competition than ever.

What makes you think our OL will provide a "great performance?"
We had a poor OL to begin with and lost our two BEST OTs to boot.
We were bad WITH our better OTs. Now what would you expect? We
have a bunch of O-linemen with giant guts. Some how, the Steelers
think that OLmen with giant guts is a great idea, since that is obviously
who they put out there. NEW FLASH: Pouncy is our best OLman and he
does NOT have a huge gut. What makes you think the other OLmen
should be excessively over-weight?

Sixburgher
08-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow. I figured Dumper would have the Steelers at around 4-12 for all the bitching about how stupid the Rooneys are that he does. Hope springs eternal, I guess.

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Yikes. Call me an optimist. We've won a SB with a below average to average line and came within 6 pts of winning another one last year with a slightly better line last year. I see no reason to think they can't improve a little more with Pouncey's leadership and Kugler's 2nd year at the helm. Ask the Ravens about a bad O-line.

Other than Ngata and a Ray Lewis sack on Ben once every 2 seasons or so Ben will get beat up no more than any other game. The guy holds on to the ball far too long which has gotten him plenty beat up - he has said it himself "Live by the sword, die by the sword." The O-line is still an area of concern for me to - but I see it as the best season for them since Ben's second year.

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh yea, The NEWS FLASH part was funny - thanks for the chuckle.

thumper
08-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Wow. I figured Dumper would have the Steelers at around 4-12 for all the bitching about how stupid the Rooneys are that he does. Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Straw man argument, deluxe. Never stated anything as simple as
"The Rooneys are stupid." I _did_, however, make mention of some
of their mistakes, which exist, even if zealots, without working brains,
don't realize it. :sofunny:

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey Thumps - what do you have their record at ?- can't remember if I saw a prediction from ya.

thumper
08-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Hey Thumps - what do you have their record at ?- can't remember if I saw a prediction from ya.

11-5 or 10-6

solardave
08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Luckily, the Steelers only play a few teams with good quarterbacks, Patriots, Colts, Texans, maybe the Rams, and maybe the Ravens.

I think they split with the Browns (for serious) and Ravens, lose to the Patriots and Colts, and will find a way to lose 2 other games.

10-6

I agree we split with the Browns but not the Rats. We finally put up some serious points when they won't be able to. First game in Balt prediction:24-7 STEELERS!!!
Other than the one loss to Cleveland we take two from the Rats and the Bungals.

12-4,maybe 13-3.
Oh yeah, by the time we play the Cheatriots Heyward is starting and now they have the whole D-line to worry about, not to mention Harrison and Woodley.. Marsha will be running for her life. STEELERS:17-10.

I'm fired up let's just start now, bring on the Iggles.

fer522
08-17-2011, 05:30 PM
19-0 hell yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :champs: :grabass:
:sign02:
:sign03:
:sign04:
:sign05:

:sign01:

55BaileyFan
08-17-2011, 07:05 PM
11-5 but could easily finish 12-4 if they stick to the run.

Steeler4life1972
08-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Im gonna say 10-6...for some reason we dont play well against inferior teams...remember 2 years ago???

Steeler4life1972
08-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Ive gotta see more in pre season especially at corners to make me think we will do bettwer than 10-6....i think teams are gonna spread us out every week especially if they have the personnel to do it!!

Steeler4life1972
08-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Im so excited for the season to start...I just hope the pre season doesnt preseason doesnt present more injuries...just it would be sept. 11th right now!!!

Wallabeast17
08-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Im gonna say 10-6...for some reason we dont play well against inferior teams...remember 2 years ago???

Very true, however that was the year after we won the super bowl if i'm remembering correctly? This time we lost so I don't think we will downplay anyone this year! At least I hope not:noidea:

Steeler4life1972
08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
sorry for the typos...drinkin a few!!

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 08:59 PM
No way we finish sub 11-5. I would be furious if we did. We play the NFC West and the Browns and Bengals. That should be 7 wins right there with the likelihood we have a bad game somewhere in there. We usually split with the Ravens so that's 8. Then we still have Jacksonville, Kansas City, Houston and Tennessee remaining. At worst case we're 10-6 barring an injury to Ben, Harrison or Troy.

Steeler4life1972
08-17-2011, 09:08 PM
No way we finish sub 11-5. I would be furious if we did. We play the NFC West and the Browns and Bengals. That should be 7 wins right there with the likelihood we have a bad game somewhere in there. We usually split with the Ravens so that's 8. Then we still have Jacksonville, Kansas City, Houston and Tennessee remaining. At worst case we're 10-6 barring an injury to Ben, Harrison or Troy.

Thats why I said 10-6....worst case scenario...damn does everybody interpret the wrong shit from me???:tt02:

SoCalFan
08-17-2011, 09:38 PM
13-3 is my final answer!!!

steeltheone
08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
10-6 seems about right

OX1947
08-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Last year was the worst season of football viewing of my life. It would have been saved had they beat the Packers in the Super Bowl, however, losing in the Super Bowl made it the worst and then some. It bothers me so much that the only way I can stop thinking about last year is if they win it this year. However, return trips to the Super Bowl are rare and seasons after the Super Bowl have been disastrous for the Steelers.

The team is the same, which is good and bad. The continuity is there but the secondary is going to be extremely flawed and may cause issue again. Mendenhall's fumble issues worries me.

I need them to win the Super Bowl this year to get 2010 out of my mind and with that thinking, every game this year will be rough to watch.

WickedSteel
08-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Listen, I hope that the Steelers can finish with a 11-5 or 10-6 record or better but I think that would be the MINIMUM to get into the playoffs in the AFC.

Every contender in the AFC has gotten better this offseason (on paper). The Pats added Ocho and Haynesworth. The Jets added Plex. The Ravens added Evans and Williams. The Steelers added Cotchery, not sure if that is "better".

The O line is as bad if not worse than last year as well as the secondary.

Game 1 against the Ravens

Always tough games for the Steelers and it could go either way. If they can get to Flacco they stand a good chance to win however the Ravens' defensive front always gives the Steelers line problems. If Ben gets pummeled repeatedly they will probably lose. With the Ravens' evolving passing game, it could cause problems for the Steelers terrible DBs.

Game 2 against the Seahawks

Should be an easy win for the Steelers with the Hawks dealing with a new QB and having little weapons on offense.

Game 3 against the Colts

*shudders* This game could be ugly. The game is in Indy and Manning could easily pick apart the secondary like a high school team. Again, if the Steelers can get pressure on Manning, anything can happen but it is not likely.

Game 4 against the Texans

Back to back games against high powered passing offenses? Ouch. Add to the fact that the Texans' defense is much improved with Wade Phillips at the helm now and this game could not be the cakewalk that some predict. Schaub and Johnson could eat the Steeler secondary alive and make for a LONG day in Houston.

Game 5 against the Titans

The Titans D is still good and with Hasselbeck at the helm now they could be much improved on offense this year. CJ2K is a monster that could explode at any minute both running and receiving and is always a threat. I don't know if the line can protect Ben enough to allow him to make plays and win the game.

Game 6 against the Jaguars

The Jags are horrible all around and this should be an easy win. I say SHOULD because the Steelers have been known to play stinkers against bad teams. THe offense should roll however and this should be a W.

Game 7 against the Cardinals

Off to the west coast where they are traditionally not so good. They will again be going up against a team that throws it all over the lot. With Kolb slinging the ball now and Fitz grabbing it, this could cause problems for the secondary again. The Cards' D is not great but not bad. The Steelers offense could click here but it all depends on the O line again.

Game 8 against the Patriots

FAIL. That is what these games amount to for the Steelers. Brady will pick apart this team like shooting fish in a barrel. I predict a 300+ yard passing day for Brady and 3+ TDs for him. For some reason the Pats have a very successful gameplan for the Steelers and LeBeau has no answers for it. Now this game could turn into a shootout but I still see the Pats on top in the end.

Game 9 against the Ravens

See Game 1

Game 10 against the Bengals

The Bengals are a mess and should be easy pickings for the Steelers but who knows? I think the Steelers O will overpower the Bengals and their D should be able to contain them.

Game 11 against the Chiefs

Another tough trip out west. The Steelers should be more than the Chiefs can handle but again, the Chiefs offense is still fairly potent with Cassel, Charles and Bowe. Should be a win but could be a tough one.

Game 12 against the Bengals

See Game 10

Game 13 against the Browns

Many will put down an automatic win for the Steelers but not so fast. The Browns have switched to the west coast offense, improved their O line over the years, and McCoy looks remarkably good for a Browns QB. While this should be a win for the Steelers due to their superior offense and defense, the Browns could be a surprising opponent this year. Lean towards win but could go either way.

Game 14 against the 49ers

Back to the west coast again. 49ers aren't the greatest team out there and the Steelers should be able to handle them quite easily. I predict a win but the trip could cause problems for them.

Game 15 against the Rams

The Rams are a strong up and coming team with a lot of young talent. Bradford looks good, their young receivers are talented and Steven Jackson is a work horse back that can do it all and does. Steelers are superior and should be able to overpower the Rams at home. The weather will likely be a factor this time of year and for a dome team to come to Pittsburgh and play in it, they will likely struggle. Good chance of a Steeler win.

Game 16 against the Browns

See Game 13

I can see 11-5 or even 12-4 but there is a good possibility of 9-7 or 8-8.

Sixburgher
08-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Mendenhall's fumble issues worries me.

What "fumble issues"? He put two balls on the ground during the course of over 300 carries all last season. That doesn't equate to a fumbling problem. Nor does dropping one as the result of an all pro player making an all pro play in the Super Bowl (Matthews). It just doesn't.

tanda10506
08-18-2011, 02:15 AM
If Ben and Troy are healthy this team is capable of being 13-3, and I absolutely don't see them going under 12-4. We only split the Ravens games if Ben's out and if Ben's out then the situation will be different depending on how long he's out for, but we do not loose to them with him in. I think the Ravens have got worse this year: loosing veteran receivers that new the teams character and system and replacing them with veteran receivers that do not know the system and are at the end of there careers is not good for them. Nor is losing Tod Heap, that's a huge loss. They got Williams now but we got the run covered. We usually drop a game to a bad team. I think we will beat either the Colts or the Patriots, the odds of beating them both are low. If I was betting I'd say we loose to the Pats and beat the Colts, but I do think this year we have a chance at beating Brady. Ochocinco will make that team worse not better. Anyway, that's two losses total and I know that's really optimistic but it can be done. I think the odds of us dropping another game against a bad team are high, or that Ben or Troy will miss a game are high, so that's where I get 13-3.

OX1947
08-18-2011, 02:40 AM
What "fumble issues"? He put two balls on the ground during the course of over 300 carries all last season. That doesn't equate to a fumbling problem. Nor does dropping one as the result of an all pro player making an all pro play in the Super Bowl (Matthews). It just doesn't.

7 fumbles lost in 2 full season counting playoffs. Little perspective. Jerome Bettis fumbled 10 times total in his last 8 years, counting playoffs. And its not how many, its when. Thurman Thomas is a hall of famer and he is know for two plays, forgetting his helmet and fumbling.

Sixburgher
08-18-2011, 09:11 AM
And its not how many, its when. Thurman Thomas is a hall of famer and he is know for two plays, forgetting his helmet and fumbling.

OK, so by this logic, I suppose the fact that Bettis dropped one which would have cost the Steelers the playoff game against Indy in 2005 if not for an almost superhuman effort at making a tackle by Roethlisberger equates to Bettis having a "fumbling issue". Got it.

ebsteelers
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
alot of guys have fumbling issues early on and they are correctable..

looks like he turned the corner on those

theplatypus
08-18-2011, 09:32 AM
7 fumbles lost in 2 full season counting playoffs. Little perspective. Jerome Bettis fumbled 10 times total in his last 8 years, counting playoffs. And its not how many, its when. Thurman Thomas is a hall of famer and he is know for two plays, forgetting his helmet and fumbling.

Talk about pulling numbers out of your ass. You might want to double check your stats on Bettis.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/389/jerome-bettis

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00.htm

BIGNASTY91
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
So many unknowns out there right now, but if everything works out like it should, I'm stickin with my 14-2, or 13-3 record! Opening day against the ratbirds i see something we are not used to, Blowing out the ravens!!! Historically its always a close game but i have a feeling this year will be different! Ben is going to light up the ravens secodary this year!!!! Steelers 34-17 :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

theplatypus
08-18-2011, 09:47 AM
So many unknowns out there right now, but if everything works out like it should, I'm stickin with my 14-2, or 13-3 record! Opening day against the ratbirds i see something we are not used to, Blowing out the ravens!!! Historically its always a close game but i have a feeling this year will be different! Ben is going to light up the ravens secodary this year!!!! Steelers 34-17 :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

That would be an awesome start. :drink:

OX1947
08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Talk about pulling numbers out of your ass. You might want to double check your stats on Bettis.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/389/jerome-bettis

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00.htm

Pulled what out my ass? I read 10 fumbles lost in the last 8 years. Maybe you meant to write you were talking out your ass. His own teammate who plays with him every day even said it. So, just because you want to not believe something doesn't mean its not true. Mendy has fumble issues, he needs to not fumble, especially when it matters. It cost the Steelers a Super Bowl. You can talk about Big Ben and the secondary sucking, but his fumble sealed the loss.

theplatypus
08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Pulled what out my ass? I read 10 fumbles lost in the last 8 years.

My bad, I completely missed the word "lost" in your initial post.

Fire Arians
08-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Pulled what out my ass? I read 10 fumbles lost in the last 8 years. Maybe you meant to write you were talking out your ass. His own teammate who plays with him every day even said it. So, just because you want to not believe something doesn't mean its not true. Mendy has fumble issues, he needs to not fumble, especially when it matters. It cost the Steelers a Super Bowl. You can talk about Big Ben and the secondary sucking, but his fumble sealed the loss.

can't put the blame on mendy for that fumble in the sb. that his was just a perfect tackle by matthews, helmet on the ball, i don't know many rb's that wouldn't have fumbled in that situation. it was more of david johnson's fault whiffing on the block and giving him a straight path to the ballcarrier

OX1947
08-18-2011, 12:57 PM
can't put the blame on mendy for that fumble in the sb. that his was just a perfect tackle by matthews, helmet on the ball, i don't know many rb's that wouldn't have fumbled in that situation. it was more of david johnson's fault whiffing on the block and giving him a straight path to the ballcarrier

UGH, my stomach hurts. I can't get that freakin game out of my head. My heart has been speaking instead of my head the last few months. I am sick over the loss, I just can't get it out of my mind. 21 points off 3 turnovers. Sorry if im ragging on certain guys but I just wanted that damn game so bad and the only thing that could remedy it, is a win in Lucas Oil in Feb.

Steelers>NFL
08-18-2011, 01:18 PM
UGH, my stomach hurts. I can't get that freakin game out of my head. My heart has been speaking instead of my head the last few months. I am sick over the loss, I just can't get it out of my mind. 21 points off 3 turnovers. Sorry if im ragging on certain guys but I just wanted that damn game so bad and the only thing that could remedy it, is a win in Lucas Oil in Feb.

GB were the BETTER team that day. No and/if or buts. It was not meant to be for Steelers to win.

ETL
08-18-2011, 02:39 PM
8-8

DoctorCAD
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Every year, I put us at 9 - 7 at the beginning of the year.

I see no reason to change.

Quasar
08-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm predicting 13-3, with a win over the Eagles in Super Bowl 46.

Steel Peon
08-21-2011, 01:30 AM
GB were the BETTER team that day. No and/if or buts.
In some mind numbingly stupid way, yeah..........I still can't quite grasp how the Steelers managed to allow an egg THAT large to pass out of their arses.......it was amazing.
It was not meant to be for Steelers to win.
Now this is just horse hockey.......this has nothing to do with luck, or karma.........or God liking GB more......or fate......or any of that bullshit.

Plain and simple, hardly any member of the team (be it coaching or players) brought their "A" game to the SB. Randle-El, Ike, Ward, Miller, and Timmons are about the only guys who can claim that.

Very few Bs, and many Cs and Ds also helped doom the Steelers, along with a solid D for the coaching staff. Ben had 1 or 2 B moments, but was mostly C, with a heaping of D, and a pinch of F.

Overall, it was a great recipe for failure, in what was otherwise a highly winnable game. You can't blame fate for this one I'm afraid, you can only blame the team. I would have a hard time believing that there are any Steeler fans out there that truly think the team brought their A game that day.

And uh, oh yeah...........11-5...........but a small part of me wants to say Perfect Season.

StainlessStill
08-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Here was my Lockout writeup I did a couple months ago regarding our 2011 season. With some additions and happenings and looking at our roster now and what it could be, it could change:

Week 1:Steelers at Baltimore- L

Week 2: Steelers vs Seattle-W

Week 3: Steelers at Indianapolis-W

Week 4: Steelers at Houston- L

Week 5: Steelers vs Tennessee-W

Week 6 : Steelers vs Jacksonville-L

Week 7: Steelers at Arizona-W

Week 8: Steelers vs New England-L

Week 9: Steelers vs Baltimore-W

Week 10: Steelers at Cincinnati-W

Week 11: Bye

Week 12: Steelers at Kansas City- W

Week 13: Steelers vs Cincinnati-W

Week 14: Steelers vs Cleveland-W

Week 15: Steelers at San Francisco-W

Week 16: Steelers vs St. Louis-W

Week 17: Steelers at Cleveland-W

I want to say 11-5, but 12-4 is looking more and more realistic.

IMHO, I think the first 6 games are brutal, minus Seattle. Opening up AT a thirsty Baltimore team, coming back home and then going on the road for back to back weeks in domes with Indy and Houston, who have vicious passing attacks, esp Houston with Andre Johnson could be a tough stretch.

We won't over-look an Indy team but that Houston game could be a tricky-trap game. Coming back home to two former, physical rivals in Tenn/Jax won't be a cake-walk and JAX always starts off the season hot. Even going TO Arizona, where we NEVER play good in that dome and then New England a week after is a challenging stretch. Until we can show we can slow Brady down, I don't like our chances against N.E.

We'll split with Baltimore and then sweep our other division opponents with ease. Starting the second half of the season after the BYE starting with K.C should be the "taking care of business" mode. Traveling to San Fran could be a late trap but we should handle any team in that stank division with a new head coach. I'm sure John will give Jim some pointers....

11-5/12-4.

theplatypus
08-21-2011, 09:50 AM
4-12 - Steelers draft Andrew Luck

In my eyes it all depends on the health of the O-line and the abilities of Coach Kugler. The shear volume of injuries he had to deal with last year was ridiculous and somehow he managed to coach them into an average unit(avg might be generous). It will be interesting to see what he can get out of a healthy unit.

stb_steeler
08-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Here was my Lockout writeup I did a couple months ago regarding our 2011 season. With some additions and happenings and looking at our roster now and what it could be, it could change:

We'll be killing the Ravens first game.......for some reason i just gotta hunch. Hope im right!

StainlessStill
08-21-2011, 12:45 PM
We'll be killing the Ravens first game.......for some reason i just gotta hunch. Hope im right!

I sure hope so. I'm just terribly worried about that offensive line for what it's worth. I mean, Baltimore has a STOUT d-line, starting with Ngata. If we don't come up with some kind of solid O-line in two weeks, Ben's in trouble.

I made that during the lockout. I have us losing to Jacksonville at home but now, I believe we can absoutley handle Jacksonville anytime anywhere. It's now that Cardinals game, IN Arizona that I look twice at. We've always struggled in domes and in Arizona and the thought of Kolb going to Fitz is scary in itself. I may flop those two wins and losses (beating JAX, losing to ARI.)

That Rams game late season could be a hiccup as well.

tanda10506
08-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't think the Steelers will loose to the Rams, Cardinals, or Jaguars. The only way I see the Rams game being a problem is if we have already secured a bye week in the playoffs. The Cardinals might be good this year, but we can beat them. I just don't see the Steelers dropping games that they should win this year. This team has something to prove. I don't see us splitting the Ravens games because as long as Ben is in we beat them. I know we will win the later game in Pittsburgh, the only one I'm worried about is week 1. I think the Ravens lost a lot of key players but that first game in Baltimore might be to much for the O line right away. Other then that I'm not worried.

FanSince72
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I think 11-5 is very possible.

Last year's performance throughout the season was lackluster overall and let's not forget all the Ben drama and we STILL made it to the dance.
Now, with all of that behind us I think the focus will be 100%.
The only "if" in the picture is IF the coaching staff can figure out how NOT to place Troy at the center of the universe and actually build a defense that doesn't fall apart if he's hurt, I think we'll be fine.

warddj86
08-24-2011, 02:00 PM
I would be disappointed if we got less than 12 wins off of that schedule. With Peyton's rust, you gotta like their chances against Indy. Houston could be a loss, New England could be a loss. Baltimore could be a loss. However, that's basically ALL the losses I can see there.

12-4 (Baltimore, NE, Houston, Indy)
13-3 (Baltimore, NE, Houston)
14-2 (Baltimore, NE)
15-1 (New England)

I think it's gonna be one of those combinations...

pancake
08-24-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm going with 12-4

Bad or good bounce could make us 11-5 or 13-3

stiller39
08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
We only play 2 elite QB's in Manning and Brady. They can beat us with the short passing game as proven in the SB as our achilles heal. Colts don't have the complete team though as in years past. The Crows games will be tough but I don't think they can be us though. This is a Veteran heavy team that if they can stay up for the all the games incuding the 2 against the Bungles should be looking and 11 or 12 wins easily.

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 08:07 PM
The Steelers handle Manning pretty well anyway. Not worried about that game even if he's back to 100%. The myth of Manning is a bizarre one. He sucks against 3-4 teams, which is coincidentally most teams he sees in the playoffs. Are you seeing the correlation between this and his playoff record now?

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 09:04 AM
bump this...

did better than i thought i said 11-5.. saw some guys say 12-4

kan_t
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
The coming schedule will be a lot tougher. I can see that they end up with 10-6.

plenewken
02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
It's not only way too early to tell but I really don't care what the record will be.
The only thing I'm interested in is for the Steelers to make the playoffs, to be healthy down the stretch and to play well when it really matters.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 10:52 AM
who said anything about predicting next year..

if your read the thread you would see its from august 2011...

and some people predicted the record correctly

plenewken
02-08-2012, 11:18 AM
who said anything about predicting next year..

if your read the thread you would see its from august 2011...

and some people predicted the record correctly

Relax, dude. Someone bumped the thread today. The next poster wrote "The coming schedule will be a lot tougher. I can see that they end up with 10-6." , hence my comment.

StainlessStill
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I know this is last year, but I'll make a quick thought for 2012.

Judging by speculation, I think the 4 most improved teams heading into next season will be the Jets, Eagles, Raiders and Chargers and the Steelers have them all on the schedule (away looks brutal.) Looking at this at this moment, this is a rough one. The Cowboys, Giants and Baltimore X2 will be as tough as it gets. As I said, the Raiders, Eagles, Chargers and Jets should be the most improved in 2012 so I think the Steelers have a very hard schedule. Another one that sticks out at me is Tennessee because of location. Givin' the history (old AFC Central rivals) the Steelers always get a dog fight against Tennessee, especially in their house.

Typically, that will probably be in the first half of the season, which means temps in the 100's. You bet your ass we'll be wearing our black jersey's in that one. I can see 10-6 for Pittsburgh but could easily be a 9-7 season if we see the amount of injuries we've seen this past year. Going on the road to Dallas, N.Y Giants, Oakland and obviously Baltimore are going to make or break our 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers. Gut feeling? We'll be up for the challenge.

LVSteelersfan
02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeahhhhh, I predicted 12-4 sort of but said we could easily go 10-6. I thought we might lose to Houston, San Francisco, possibly Kansas City because we play like crap going west, Indianapolis (didn't know Peyton wouldn't be playing last year), split with the Ratbirds, split with the Clowns. Wasn't too far off the mark except for losing to the Ratbirds twice, winning in Kansas City and Indy , and not splitting with the Clowns. I would never have picked the Giants to win the Super Bowl though. I figured it would be Green Bay or New Orleans.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I thought 12-4 with the possibility of 13-3 is we "somehow" beat New England. I was right, and wrong, at the same time. I'll go ahead and vote 12-4 for next year. It's becoming a staple.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Relax, dude. Someone bumped the thread today. The nest poster wrote "The coming schedule will be a lot tougher. I can see that they end up with 10-6." , hence my comment.

yes i bumped the thread. no point in making predictions if were not gonna revisit them..

this year our record was a big deal cause of that one late lose to the ravens at home turned out season up side down... rather than being at home for the divisional round
we were done.. would of gave us plenty of time to get healthy over the 2 weeks and would of more than likely played in the championship game..

personally i prefer to control out destiny in the playoffs...
last 2 champs are exceptions to the rule

packers needed a giant collapse and lions to win a road game to get in..

this year giants needed a cowboys collapse

will visit 2012 when the schedule actual is out

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 01:06 PM
I thought 12-4 with the possibility of 13-3 is we "somehow" beat New England. I was right, and wrong, at the same time. I'll go ahead and vote 12-4 for next year. It's becoming a staple.
whatever works to get us 12-4 lol.

its too early obviously until the schedule comes out and see where games are scheduled.

im assuming last game will be ravens this year?

based on past 2 years were browns and bengals i believe

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 01:30 PM
11-5, division has gotten tough to play in since dalton got drafted in cincy. it's no longer gonna be a 2 team race.

schedule is going to be very tough next season, but the team will play tough enough to get a good record. steelers and baltimore both go 11-5 but we win the division

ricardisimo
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
13-3, maybe better. The games out West feel the worst to me. The trips to Denver and to Oakland seem a bit daunting, even if they are inferior opponents. I don't think our record west of Indy is all that great. Those two games, and maybe split with Baltimore.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
whatever works to get us 12-4 lol.

its too early obviously until the schedule comes out and see where games are scheduled.

im assuming last game will be ravens this year?

based on past 2 years were browns and bengals i believe

Mock drafts are released before the draft orders are even finalized. That being said, I see no problem with predicting the W/L for next year based on the information we have. We know our home and away games. That's good enough for me. I'll make changes to my prediction (if needed) when the schedule is released in full.

It'll likely be Ravens. They we're our first matchup this year, and to be honest, that's dumb.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Mock drafts are released before the draft orders are even finalized. That being said, I see no problem with predicting the W/L for next year based on the information we have. We know our home and away games. That's good enough for me. I'll make changes to my prediction (if needed) when the schedule is released in full.

It'll likely be Ravens. They we're our first matchup this year, and to be honest, that's dumb.

I think they will go 12-4 and I predict the ravens to miss the playoffs

btaylor179
02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
10-6 at best

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I think they will go 12-4 and I predict the ravens to miss the playoffs

no way the ravens miss the playoffs. I'd like to see it, but I just don't see that happening.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
no way the ravens miss the playoffs. I'd like to see it, but I just don't see that happening.

I certainly don't see them improving on last year. There not getting any younger, and last year was there least ideal chance to win it all, and they blew it. I'm suspecting they'll be slower next year, but slip into the playoff's as a wildcard.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Ray Lewis and Ed Reed may not be back. That's basically there defense outside of Suggs. Not looking good for them.

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Ray Lewis and Ed Reed may not be back. That's basically there defense outside of Suggs. Not looking good for them.

their defense looked better when ray lewis was injured tbh. he is overrated at this point in his career, only good as a run stuffer. but like farrior, has become a real liability in pass coverage.

losing ed reed would on the other hand, hurt. I still don't see them any worse than 10-6 though.

also i think torrey smith is only gonna get better. their offense might be a little more explosive. they still have ray rice, who you always have to account for.