PDA

View Full Version : If Eli is in Brady's class then where does Ben fall?

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
My answer - a class of his own. Of course I'm bias but I would rank top 10 QBs as follows:

Brady
Roethlisberger
P. Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Rivers
Vick
Flacco
E. Manning
Sanchez

I say class of his own because of how unorthodox Ben is. I put him at #2 based on 3 things - SB wins, clutch performances and doing more with below avg to avg offensive line (that any of the pocket passers wouldn't last in)

Eli Manning is an interception machine but he does have a SB win which puts him in the top 10 for me - he had one of the gutsiest performances against the almost perfect Patriots which is the only thing keeping him there - to be clutch like he was against our nemesis is huge in my eyes.

Would I put him in the same class as Brady? No. Until he commands the offense in that type of manner and racks up more clutch performances and SB wins - no. I rank the Rivers, Vick and Flacco above him because they seem to get better every year where Eli has regressed. You might scratch your head at the Sanchez one - but you can't fault 2 afc champ games in a row. He was a missing piece for the Jets - even if the stats aren't great and the inconsistency is there - the guy steps it up in the playoffs. If It was 2000 I would put Dilfer in my top 10 - put it that way.

Steelersfan87
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I watch the Giants every week, and the interception total last year was a fluke. I can't even count how many of those interceptions bounced off of his receivers' hands. Eli is definitely better than Flacco, and as a pure passer, I would put him above Vick too.

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Fair enough - I could see him above Flacco. I'll have to disagree with you on Vick for now. I'll let the season play out as far as my ranking of E. Manning to Vick - not enough tape.

austinfrench76
08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
I think you have Rodgers too high. Hes 7th or 8th for me. The rest looks good.

fer522
08-17-2011, 06:59 PM
i'd put saint Tebow # 1 :chuckle:

fer522
08-17-2011, 07:01 PM
i'd put saint Tebow # 1 :chuckle:

i meant Tim Tebow sorry:toofunny:

pete74
08-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I think you have Rodgers too high. Hes 7th or 8th for me. The rest looks good.

7th or 8th? he is the best QB in the NFL. if im starting a new team and could have any QB i would take Rodgers hands down. take a look at his stats and what he did from his first NFL game. i dont like him since he kicked our ass but he is the best and will only get better. also, dont even say he plays behind a great line because there far from great

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Hmmmm - I dunno - Rodgers is looking pretty good. He is at least top 5 for me.

stb_steeler
08-17-2011, 07:37 PM
7th or 8th? he is the best QB in the NFL. if im starting a new team and could have any QB i would take Rodgers hands down. take a look at his stats and what he did from his first NFL game. i dont like him since he kicked our ass but he is the best and will only get better. also, dont even say he plays behind a great line because there far from great

Exactly pete.....After all he was ranked #1......Gotta love the random posts

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 07:57 PM
1. Brady
2. Rodgers.
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. Roethlisberger
6. Rivers
7. Vick
8. Schaub
9. Ryan
10. Freeman

That's about as fair of a ranking as it gets.

Did somebody put Sanchez in their top 10? smh. Even putting Flacco in the top 10 seems comical. Even though he has similar numbers to Matt Ryan, you don't hear people saying "they'll never win because Matt Ryan is their quarterback." Can't say the same for Flacco.

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Schaub? how exactly?

steelfury02
08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I def forgot about Matt Ryan - I'd switch him w/ Sanchez then. woops lol

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Schaub? how exactly?

His past 3 season have been great for the Texans. Threw for 4,300 yards and a 92 passer rating last year and almost 5,000 two years ago with a 98 passer rating. I don't see why he wouldn't be mentioned in the top 10. Especially over a guy like Sanchez who had ratings in the mid-70s for the past two years (spells mediocre) and completes less than 55 percent of his passes (god awful, especially when you had the weapons he had last year). Sanchez isn't even in the top 20 in terms of quarterback play. I guess the casual fan lumps him in with the good QBs because of how much he's in the media.

Eli Manning is in the same boat as Sanchez. I'd rank him in the mid-teens with his Super Bowl ring giving him a boost.

skinart82
08-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Why is Vick even talked about in the top 10, there are 20 other guys I would take ahead of that puke! Just cause ESPN got his bandwagon jumped off and every other trendy football fan thought he was just great. His accuracy sucks, he has a canon for an arm, but always over throws people, he makes two reads and then runs for it. Nobody plays like Ben, that's why it's so hard to "rank" him, but he is easily one of the best to play the game. Brady, Rogers, Rivers, Manning, Ryan or any of the the other "elite" couldn't play in Pittsburgh, just couldn't fit it!

fer522
08-17-2011, 09:36 PM
the best 6 in my opinion are and i'm not looking at their stats just at the way they manage the games
1a Brady
1b Manning
1c Rodgers
2- Brees
3 - Roethlisberger
4 - Rivers

SoCalFan
08-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Bens name will be in the mention,slightly of a top tier QB but being on a team thats known for running the ball hurts him a bit!Hes top 3 in my book!

kirklandrules
08-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Call me a homer, but I'd rank Ben #1. Now hear me out on this folks. He's the only MAN in that group and doesn't need the pansy ass rules the Commish uses to protect Marcia Brady and Patricia Manning. When Ben went face first into a car, then had emergency appendix surgery, how many games did he miss? The answer is: a lot less than those other p*ssies would have. Which d-bag on that list would have led his team in a come-from-behind playoff victory against one of the toughest defenses in the league ... with a broken foot and smashed nose? None. When the Patricheats O-line breaks down and Marcia Brady gets pressure, they lose. Remember Patricia Manning throwing her O-line under the bus after the Steelers buried them in a playoff game, by pronouncing: "You could say we had some protection problems". I love the violence of the game and our guy embraces that violence and wins, whereas the other chicks run, hide and lose. For those that are infatuated with the flash and prettiness of Marcia Brady's perfectly timed throws, well you can have her. I love seeing our QB looking like a rhino shaking off hungry lions as he leads his team in oh-so-many game winning drives. So I'd take Ben because, after all, to be a Steelers QB requires a jockstrap, not a training bra.

tanda10506
08-18-2011, 02:38 AM
I disagree with Rodgers being in the top 5. If you look at his close game record, and until this year his playoff record, then you'll see that the only year that you could say he played like a top 5 is last year. That's great what he did, but Ben's been winning year after year, and when it matters he comes through, FOR YEARS. It's not enough to put a guy in a top 5 with the likes of Ben, Brady, or Manning over 1 impressive year. You can't just go off of stats either, clutch performance and wins are both equal to that. Which is why I can't for the life of me see why Brees is so high on so many lists. He's a really good QB, but I haven't seen many grade A performances from him and he's only been to (and won) one Super Bowl. River's stats are great, but on an excellent year they loose in the Divisional round, and it's usually in the wild card round. I know some of the greats like Dan Marino didn't win a championship and had bad playoff records and still had some clutch performances, the difference is Ben does it a few times a year not a few times a career. Also, statistically Ben is not #1, but his stats are nothing to be ashamed of. Currently I'm not sure where I put him on a "list" but I can't see putting him behind anyone except Brady or Manning.

That being said, and maybe I'm missing something, but who the hell said Eli is in Brady's class???? Brady is probably #1, with him and Manning no doubt locking up the #1 and 2 spots currently, and Eli is a struggle to even make it at the bottom of this list. There is a QB class under Brady, Manning, and possibly Ben, then there is another class under that with Rivers, Brees, and maybe Rodgers, then there is a class under that where Eli would be in. Who the hell made that analysis???

DanRooney
08-18-2011, 03:40 AM
I disagree with Rodgers being in the top 5. If you look at his close game record, and until this year his playoff record, then you'll see that the only year that you could say he played like a top 5 is last year. That's great what he did, but Ben's been winning year after year, and when it matters he comes through, FOR YEARS. It's not enough to put a guy in a top 5 with the likes of Ben, Brady, or Manning over 1 impressive year. You can't just go off of stats either, clutch performance and wins are both equal to that. Which is why I can't for the life of me see why Brees is so high on so many lists. He's a really good QB, but I haven't seen many grade A performances from him and he's only been to (and won) one Super Bowl. River's stats are great, but on an excellent year they loose in the Divisional round, and it's usually in the wild card round. I know some of the greats like Dan Marino didn't win a championship and had bad playoff records and still had some clutch performances, the difference is Ben does it a few times a year not a few times a career. Also, statistically Ben is not #1, but his stats are nothing to be ashamed of. Currently I'm not sure where I put him on a "list" but I can't see putting him behind anyone except Brady or Manning.

That being said, and maybe I'm missing something, but who the hell said Eli is in Brady's class???? Brady is probably #1, with him and Manning no doubt locking up the #1 and 2 spots currently, and Eli is a struggle to even make it at the bottom of this list. There is a QB class under Brady, Manning, and possibly Ben, then there is another class under that with Rivers, Brees, and maybe Rodgers, then there is a class under that where Eli would be in. Who the hell made that analysis???

You do know Rodgers has only been a starter for 3 years, right? In the last two season, he's had a passer rating of over 100 averaging over 4,000 yards with 65 percent of his passes completed. I'd say that's easily in elite status. He also did this behind a dysfunctional OL in 2009, much like Ben does year after year. He's easily my favorite QB outside Roethlisberger (though I believe Rodgers is better in almost every aspect of the game).

If you're basing your rankings of clutchness, Peyton Manning should be no where near the top of the list. Despite being one of the best pure passers to ever play, I honestly believe media boy is the most overrated player in our generation.

pete74
08-18-2011, 05:47 AM
You do know Rodgers has only been a starter for 3 years, right? In the last two season, he's had a passer rating of over 100 averaging over 4,000 yards with 65 percent of his passes completed. I'd say that's easily in elite status. He also did this behind a dysfunctional OL in 2009, much like Ben does year after year. He's easily my favorite QB outside Roethlisberger (though I believe Rodgers is better in almost every aspect of the game).

If you're basing your rankings of clutchness, Peyton Manning should be no where near the top of the list. Despite being one of the best pure passers to ever play, I honestly believe media boy is the most overrated player in our generation.

exactly

ebsteelers
08-18-2011, 09:04 AM
bingo dan rooney

your list is spot on as well..

although if brady was behind our o line, he would be much lower down the list.

ebsteelers
08-18-2011, 09:06 AM
all that being said.. i'd still take ben over manning, brady, and brees..

maybe not over rodgers as he does have some mobility, but the other 3 would be in for long days behind our o line.

BIGNASTY91
08-18-2011, 10:15 AM
All these QB's listed are great, but i would take ben over any of them hands down!
Ben's style of play fits our team, and none of the QB's mentioned could come here and have the sucess he has. On the other side you could take ben and put him behind some of the other teams O-lines and he could put up some of the same numbers they have. With that being said no matter what situation he is in he could prosper in all. i cant say that about any of the other QB's listed! Hell none of those other QB's could take Suggs and push him off, and make the completion like Ben did last year!!! All other QB's would be plastered in the field and crying for a flag!!! Not Big Ben!! Thats why I love our QB! :drink:

:tt04: :tt03: :tt02:

cloppbeast
08-18-2011, 10:20 AM

:iagree:

cloppbeast
08-18-2011, 10:26 AM
1. Brady
2. Rodgers.
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. Roethlisberger
6. Rivers
7. Vick
8. Schaub
9. Ryan
10. Freeman

That's about as fair of a ranking as it gets.

Did somebody put Sanchez in their top 10? smh. Even putting Flacco in the top 10 seems comical. Even though he has similar numbers to Matt Ryan, you don't hear people saying "they'll never win because Matt Ryan is their quarterback." Can't say the same for Flacco.

Your rankings are spot on, except I would put Rivers above Roethlisberger and Rodgers above Brady.

Ryan pottentially could be higher had he not performed terribly against Green Bay in the play-ffs. I look for him to surpass Vick, Ben, and possibly Rivers this season.

Vick is going to fall off. DC have figured him out.

MDSteel15
08-18-2011, 10:35 AM
1. Tom Brady owns this spot until further notice...
2. Big Ben - 3 SBs, Playoff record speaks for itself and regular season aint too bad eaither!
3. Drew Brees - Did we forget him? Look at his body of work! Look at the team that won the SB... That D was shaky at best!
4. Aaron Rodgers - Coming into his own... but 1 season don't make you #1!
5. Peyton Manning - on the downhill slide. Best regular season QB.... Playoff = NOT

From here it's a crap shoot just for the fact that only Eli, who got lucky, is the only QB (other than McNabb and Hasselbeck) that's even been to a Super Bowl! And none of them are Top 10 any more! Watch this season and see if you have Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford in the top 10.... :popcorn:

Ooops, I forgot the REX GROSSMAN took the Bears to the SB...

vasteeler
08-18-2011, 11:37 AM
i cant believe i see a lot of you guys have vick in the top ten........really vick?

Steelersfan87
08-18-2011, 11:44 AM
i cant believe i see a lot of you guys have vick in the top ten........really vick?

12 games, 3,018 yards, 62.6% complete, 8.1 YPA, 21 TDs, 6 INTs, 100.2 QB rating.

Not to mention 676 rushing yards with another 9 rushing TDs.

troypthebest
08-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Ben is waaaaaaaaaay better than Eli. Not even close. Eli is honestly insane for what he said!

thumper
08-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Not worth discussing since the premise is cracked to begin with:
Eli is no where near in Brady's class. End of discussion.

Eli didn't even make top 100 players, as voted by his peers. He is
not even top 10. Might be top 15.

Brady
P. Manning
Ben
Rogers
Brees
Rivers
Matty Ice

DanRooney
08-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Your rankings are spot on, except I would put Rivers above Roethlisberger and Rodgers above Brady.

Ryan pottentially could be higher had he not performed terribly against Green Bay in the play-ffs. I look for him to surpass Vick, Ben, and possibly Rivers this season.

Vick is going to fall off. DC have figured him out.

Roethlisberger's numbers actually beat Ryan's numbers consistently. Ryan is a pretty conservative quarterback in terms of statistics.

I don't like Rivers over Ben because he had a glory team from 2005-2006 and yet he's the only QB to not win a SB out of his first round draft class. He didn't have any receivers or a RB for 3/4's of the season last year but he did have the #1 defense, which Ben always gets criticized for. And hell, with that #1 D he didn't make the playoffs.