PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis

sheba
05-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Do you think jerome made a good decision byretireing?

tony hipchest
05-29-2006, 12:04 PM
yes. he went out on top, in storybook fashion, and is going into a career that will probably last much longer than football.

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Loved by the city of Pittsburgh, got his ring, future HOF'er, good paying job in TV....why not?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM

He didn't have anything left to prove and accomplish. He had the stats, the pro bowls and the only thing he was missing was a Super Bowl ring. Now he has that and why not go out on top. Its the perfect ending to an Hall of Fame career. Plus Jerome is a dad. I remember him saying in a interview that he totally didn't want to damage his body so he could do things with his daughter. I think that also player a role into his decision. I remember seeing the video of Bus struggling to walk down stairs after games last year.

So I wish Jerome "The Bus" Bettis the best in his retirement. I know that I will and all of Steelers Nation will miss him. There will never be another Jerome Bettis. Yea he was a great football player but more importantly he is a great person.

Next and Final Bus Stop-Canton, Ohio

TasmanianTroy271
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Considering the way his body is, with his knees and asthma, he could've retired 3 years ago and no one would have thought the lesser of him, but he stuck around for his ring and his team. He could'nt have gone out a better way.

SteelCityMan786
05-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Why not leave on top? guranteed hall of famer.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Is there a better way to go out and end a career?
He made a great choice last year on coming back and another great choice ending it in detroit.
Hopefully it wont be long until Hes in canton

3 to be 4
05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
if Ben hadnt made the tackle that saved the backseat of the Bus then he might have wanted to come back so his career ended on a less "willie mays" kind of note.
But since his team won the super bowl in his hometown, plus the guy was pretty much done anywaay, it was the best ending of a career since Elway.

melroseplace
05-29-2006, 03:50 PM
did he make the right decision? without a doubt. I don't think there could've been a happier ending

Prosdo
05-29-2006, 04:21 PM
He left the game after winning a Superbowl in his hometown and he left the game without major injury. Sounds perfect to me.

William Munney
05-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Oh yeah, retired on top. http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/video_bettis_tribute.html

Enjoy...

BigSteelThrill
05-29-2006, 11:34 PM
As everyone has said, he did a splendid job.

clevestinks
05-30-2006, 04:35 AM
did he make the right decision? without a doubt. I don't think there could've been a happier ending
I agree. And he really wasn`t a huge part of the team on the field anyway. His role on the field would have been even less this season! Jerome did himself proud, Jerome did us proud!

pucho58
05-30-2006, 06:16 AM
His body was beat up; it was time for him to leave the game. He will be missed.

pitt
05-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I wish he could of stayed forever. But since thats unrealisti, its good he went out a champion.

SteelerFanInCA
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I think he made the right decision but part of me wonders how it would have been if he had come back as a part time player. Maybe only playing the home games. Either way I think he made the right call.

shimmysteelerfan
05-30-2006, 12:29 PM
i think he made the right choice.....who wouldnt go want to go out a champ?????

dawson36
05-30-2006, 02:14 PM
i honestly think bettis made the best decision he was messed up he was big and tired at the end of it all... he went out strong at the end of the game and in his hometown and MESSED THEM ALL UP!! which we needed. so i think it was a good thing for him plus he still has his talk show in PENNSYLVANIA to keep up with the steelers so we still can enjoy him that way

melroseplace
06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I worked at the Men's Fantasy Camp held in Latrobe this weekend...last night at the reception there was to be a "guest speaker", and it ended up being good ol Bussie. all the guys went nuts when he walked in, it was pretty sweet. he talked a little bit about training camp up thru Detriot and he said that before the Super Bowl he went to the Rooneys and thanked them for everything because win or lose, he was going to retire after XL. luckily for him he got to go out on top (and will be getting his ring in about 40 mins!) :tt:

SteelerzGirl
06-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I worked at the Men's Fantasy Camp held in Latrobe this weekend...last night at the reception there was to be a "guest speaker", and it ended up being good ol Bussie. all the guys went nuts when he walked in, it was pretty sweet. he talked a little bit about training camp up thru Detriot and he said that before the Super Bowl he went to the Rooneys and thanked them for everything because win or lose, he was going to retire after XL. luckily for him he got to go out on top (and will be getting his ring in about 40 mins!) :tt:

Wow, melrose... I'm sure that was a fantastic experience for you last night! How cool is that? :smile:

The Jerome Bettis fairytale ending was a dream come true for him, the fans, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Jerome will be in our hearts forever and always.

clevestinks
06-04-2006, 04:50 PM
For us..... No!
For Him....Yes!
For his presence in the locker-room....No!

Selfishly No! But Yes it was the right way to go out!

Stlrs4Life
06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Yes, the guy owns alot of records and went out on top with a ring!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Absolutely made the right decision. You couldnt write a better story book ending to his career. Last game he plays is a super bowl victory in his home town.

My heart though wishes he was still around. Im gonna miss that #36 in the black n gold on gameday.

Mamaduck43
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
I get choked up everytime I think of a Busless Steelers lineup, but I am glad that he was able to retire at the top of the heap.... After last season, he has nothing else to prove, and we, as fans, must be thankful that he chose to play rather than retiring after last season..... There will be a void on the team - - not on the playing field, but in the locker room and in the players' hearts.... Jerome is not the only reason that we won last year, but he was a catalyst to a winning team..... The guys had that extra incentive to go out there and play their hearts out.... And they did it - - nominally, for the Bus - - - but it was really for the team.... And it wasn't one or two people who won the trophy - - it was the team!!!!

Jerome, you will be missed..... But, thank you for everything that you have done in your very successful career..... Best wishes and good luck in your future endeavors...... You will always be a winner........ Mahalo!!!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Why should he have stayed?

He went out a Champion,how many people can say that?He assured himself no major injuries through football,assured he will be able to walk when he is older,and has a job that will pay him more than he made in football.

GutterflowerSteel
06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
The Bus has always been a class act, and his story couldn't be any sweeter. It's gonna suck not seeing him wear the Black and Gold on the field, but we're lucky that we can tune in on Sunday nights and see him on tv. I'm looking forward to that, because I think he'll do an excellent job. He has a lot of respect from the legion of fans and everyone involved with the NFL.

Elvis
06-05-2006, 07:58 PM
First of all, I love the Steelers and only want the best for our team, but I also want what is best for our players future. Did anyone see the special they had on CBS I think when they showed the bus at his home trying to get down his stairs? It was not a pretty sight for anyone to see. I will miss him and his leadership for our team but I am so happy for him and hope that things will get better for they guy now..May God Bless You All
Elvis