PDA

View Full Version : McFadden and Gay in danger of losing their jobs?

Fire Arians
08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Keenan Lewis and Curtis Brown looked really good last night. I know CB won't win the #2 corner spot this year (no chance in lebeau's system), but it's not out of the question for a rookie to take over the nickel spot.

thoughts? I think if continue to do well the rest of this preseason we can see a new lineup in the secondary :thumbsup:

Buddha Bus
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
We can only hope.

Gay should have never been resigned. He's looked atrocious this preseason.

SteeleReign
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Hard to say at this point. I would imagine next week against the Falcons will tell the final story on most position battles (although there aren't really that many), since the starters will face starters for as much as 3 quarters.

BKAnthem
08-19-2011, 01:13 PM
one can only hope....

Wallabeast17
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Doubt it, well at least this year. As for Curtis Brown, he did pretty well for his first game and limited training camp. I was constintly looking for him to take the field. The first time I saw him my first thought was damn he has a crazy nice back pedal, and can stay close to his guy!! Heres to hoping hes going to be something special!!! :tt03:

ebsteelers
08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
warren looked solid also

Steelersfan87
08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Brown needs to work on getting his head turned around faster.

I think that Keenan Lewis may be able to fight for the nickel position before the start of the season. I think that Curtis Brown may be able to fight for the nickel position early in the season. We must wait and see what Crezdon Butler can do. We also must wait on Bryant McFadden getting back healthy and see how he looks. It's unlikely that he slips from the starting rotation barring injuries at any point this season though unless Keenan Lewis (or Crezdon Butler) starts playing out of his mind. I think next year would be Brown's earliest chance of starting barring injuries.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Lots of DBs look like the second coming of Deion Sanders when Mike Vick decides to quit reading defenses

Let's see how they do next week against Matt Ryan, Julio Jones & Roddy White

SoCalFan
08-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Im just happy to see other options!Im hoping they both pan out!

Fire Arians
08-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Lots of DBs look like the second coming of Deion Sanders when Mike Vick decides to quit reading defenses

well true, but it's a start, and certainly looking better than last week. I'm not saying crown the new guys yet but at least the secondary is showing promise. We definitely are gonna need players to step up at the cb position, whether it be lewis, butler, brown, or warren (who also looked really good yesterday)

ebsteelers
08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
you can never have enough good dbacks.

Fire Arians
08-19-2011, 02:30 PM
defensive coverage stats for last night's game

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/08/steelers-defensive-coverage-stats-versus-eagles-preseason-game-2/

warren had a lot of passes thrown his way. allowed a lot of completions but only gave up 4.5 yards per attempt which is solid

Wallabeast17
08-19-2011, 06:48 PM
The big task will be next week facing Julio Jones/ Roddy White and Matt Ryan!!

ricardisimo
08-19-2011, 06:56 PM
:huh:

Did I miss something? Maybe I watched a different game, but I could swear I saw Gay give a solid all-around performance, while Brown and Warren made Mike Kafka look like Joe Montana. What gives?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for these kids to develop into solid starters, but they clearly ain't there yet.

Wallabeast17
08-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Did I miss something? Maybe I watched a different game, but I could swear I saw Gay give a solid all-around performance, while Brown and Warren made Mike Kafka look like Joe Montana. What gives?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for these kids to develop into solid starters, but they clearly ain't there yet.

I only remember seeing Gay being in for about 2-3 plays. But I wasn't really looking for him...:noidea:

ETL
08-19-2011, 08:00 PM

I agree with you. I think Gay gets too much but he plays to contain and he played well. Lewis was lucky to get that INT but overall, I am glad that he could contribute and hope that in his 3rd yr - he won't have to think so much and allow his athleticism to come out.

DanRooney
08-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't think you guys were watching the game close enough. Donovan Warren started over Gay, which is why you didn't see him much. He was actually the best corner on the field last night.

steelfury02
08-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I was saying "wait - who is this #30? Seems to be holding his own..." Yea - the guy has some potential and I wouldn't be surprised that considering the depth we have now (regardless of rounds we drafted them in or where we picked other guys up from) that we could be seeing the start of some potentially refreshing transitions (fingers crossed) I'll take even a slight improvement from last year as a sign that they are taking the back end more serious than in recent memory.

ricardisimo
08-20-2011, 03:33 AM
I don't think you guys were watching the game close enough. Donovan Warren started over Gay, which is why you didn't see him much. He was actually the best corner on the field last night.
What game were you watching? I saw Gay on the field with the starters as soon as they stepped out. And this is from the official recap of the game:
The Steelers responded by keeping most of the starting defense on the field. Vick could do little with his arm or his legs even though Pittsburgh was forced to use a patchwork secondary thanks to injuries to corners Ike Taylor (http://www.nfl.com/players/iketaylor/profile?id=TAY288150) (broken left thumb) and Bryant McFadden (http://www.nfl.com/players/bryantmcfadden/profile?id=MCF082537) (hamstring).
Usual nickelback William Gay (http://www.nfl.com/players/williamgay/profile?id=GAY400290) and reserve Keenan Lewis (http://www.nfl.com/players/keenanlewis/profile?id=LEW426086) started in place of the two veterans and held Jackson and others in check. Gay blanketed the speedy wideout when Vick tried to hit Jackson with a deep ball on Philadelphia's first play from scrimmage, and Lewis easily picked off Vick when the quarterback overthrew Riley Cooper (http://www.nfl.com/players/rileycooper/profile?id=COO700168) down the sideline.

Bouchette and Dulac were also watching the same game I was. Look, William Gay will probably never be a stud or even a long-term starter, but when he plays a good game he should get the same attention he gets when he ****s up. I think it's only fair.

DanRooney
08-20-2011, 10:55 AM
What game were you watching? I saw Gay on the field with the starters as soon as they stepped out. And this is from the official recap of the game:

Bouchette and Dulac were also watching the same game I was. Look, William Gay will probably never be a stud or even a long-term starter, but when he plays a good game he should get the same attention he gets when he ****s up. I think it's only fair.

They were both out there on the very first Eagle series, then #30 (Donovan Warren) played lined up outside on almost every series up until the 2nd half.

from BSC:
"Is Donovan Warren now a legitimate part of the conversation as to who rounds out the depth chart at cornerback? He certainly stated his case to be given a good, hard look. Yes, Bryant McFadden was out, but I found it interesting nonetheless that Warren got the starting nod over Lewis or even William Gay. "

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/19/2372080/steelers-eagles-preseason-roethlisberger-hines-ward-polamalu-mike-tomlin

finesward
08-20-2011, 11:12 AM
They were both out there on the very first Eagle series, then #30 (Donovan Warren) played lined up outside on almost every series up until the 2nd half.

from BSC:
"Is Donovan Warren now a legitimate part of the conversation as to who rounds out the depth chart at cornerback? He certainly stated his case to be given a good, hard look. Yes, Bryant McFadden was out, but I found it interesting nonetheless that Warren got the starting nod over Lewis or even William Gay. "

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/19/2372080/steelers-eagles-preseason-roethlisberger-hines-ward-polamalu-mike-tomlin

Your blog source is just plain wrong, he did not start over Gay or Lewis. They played the first series, and then rode the bench as the young guys got that good, hard look your blogger is suggesting they deserve. If you need more proof, check out the participation chart steelers depot has posted up..

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/08/steelers-eagles-preseason-game-2-defensive-participation-chart-personnel/

DanRooney
08-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Your blog source is just plain wrong, he did not start over Gay or Lewis. They played the first series, and then rode the bench as the young guys got that good, hard look your blogger is suggesting they deserve. If you need more proof, check out the participation chart steelers depot has posted up..

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/08/steelers-eagles-preseason-game-2-defensive-participation-chart-personnel/

Isn't that what I just said?

Notice by the 4th play from scrimmage who's at nickel and who's playing outside. When our starting defense was in, he played TWELVE out of the eighteen snaps lined up outside. On the other hand, Gay played outside six times.

Warren was starting over Gay.

finesward
08-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Isn't that what I just said?

Notice by the 4th play from scrimmage who's at nickel and who's playing outside. When our starting defense was in, he played TWELVE out of the eighteen snaps lined up outside. On the other hand, Gay played outside six times.

Warren was starting over Gay.

Where they played after the first eagles snap is not in question. Where they started is. Gay started the game. The end.

DanRooney
08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Where they played after the first eagles snap is not in question. Where they started is. Gay started the game. The end.

In the nickel package, Warren started over Gay as the corner lined outside. Gay was the exclusive nickel (aka #3 corner). The only time Gay was lined out on the outside was in our base defense, which we only used 6 times.

Anyway, you're missing the point of the conversation entirely, i.e., the fact that they are finally testing other starting options in the case they get fed up with McFadden or don't want to see Gay lined up against number 1 or 2 WRs.

finesward
08-20-2011, 12:31 PM
In the nickel package, Warren started over Gay as the corner lined outside. Gay was the exclusive nickel (aka #3 corner). The only time Gay was lined out on the outside was in our base defense, which we only used 6 times.

Anyway, you're missing the point of the conversation entirely, i.e., the fact that they are finally testing other starting options in the case they get fed up with McFadden or don't want to see Gay lined up against number 1 or 2 WRs.

I think it had more to do with McFadden not playing Thursday night. I think they used it as an opportunity to explore some other options...and personally I thought Warren more than held his own when going against philly's starters. Gay plays his best in the nickel, which is why they plan on keeping him there, I think that ship has already sailed for him. Hence the 1 year deal and the drafting this past year.

Steelerfreak58
08-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Truth

SteelShazam
08-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Im just happy to see other options!Im hoping they both pan out!

I agree...been a long time since i've had any kind of optimism pertaining to our db's.

Stlrs4Life
08-20-2011, 04:35 PM
It's only 1 pre season game, but I sure hope 1 of them beats out Gay.

ricardisimo
08-20-2011, 04:49 PM
No, I'm pretty sure Dan's right about this (when is he not right, I ask you). Not only was Warren the starter over Gay, but take a look at how many more snaps Mortty Ivy got over Lawrence Timmons. They're clearly looking in another direction there as well. Hear that Larry? tick-tock-tick-tock...

BKAnthem
08-21-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm sure they are looking at Depth behind Timmons and Options as it pertains to Gay...if they have a guy over there that can actually cover a wr your gonna leave him on the bench ?

DanRooney
08-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I just hope Warren is the real deal and can take over for McFadden after this season. I was high on Butler but he hasn't really showed much this preseason. Maybe Brown can step it up here in the next few weeks and we can see him replace Gay by midseason.

finesward
08-21-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm sure they are looking at Depth behind Timmons and Options as it pertains to Gay...if they have a guy over there that can actually cover a wr your gonna leave him on the bench ?

Warren hasn't exactly shown he can cover anyone, but he has shown he can make the tackle after the reception with minimal YAC. That's about all we ask our CB's to do, as cover corners usually come at a much higher price and require a more tampa 2 finesse style of defense. We like to field more physical bigger CB's that can stop the run. I don't know if warren fits this mold, but he may be just as good as BMAC and has shown he can stay healthy. I think that merits the good hard look by the coaches against philly, and hopefully again against the falcons. One good game is great, but stringing together a couple in the preseason will definitely improve his chances uprooting bmac as a starter.

solardave
08-21-2011, 03:28 PM
well true, but it's a start, and certainly looking better than last week. I'm not saying crown the new guys yet but at least the secondary is showing promise. We definitely are gonna need players to step up at the cb position, whether it be lewis, butler, brown, or warren (who also looked really good yesterday)

"THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE" "IF YOU WANT TO CROWN THEIR ASSES".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:chuckle:

Kingmagyar
08-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Nothing to get excited about yet I feel. Next week whoever plays that entire first half will get a real test.

It's too bad Macho Harris could not have been signed at the start of camp, I feel if he had the same opportunity as the rest of the dbs he would be the one shining out there. If he can just make the roster and learn, I think he could help down the line.

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/08/could-a-release-of-mcfadden-lead-to-the-return-of-starks/

interesting, mcfadden may be the odd man out this season

Steelersfan87
08-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Unlikely at best. Perhaps he loses his starting job and moves to the nickel if anything. He's played the nickel before and his game seems adaptable to play there regularly.

ricardisimo
08-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I hate to say it, but I also find it unlikely. Tomlin's boner for veterans is legendary. The newer guys have to be astronomically better than the veterans for him to cut the latter.

That said, I'd prefer they cut BMac, or traded him for a bag of balls or something. I'd rather he go than Crezdon or Cortez, although it's conceivable that they cut both of them, or alternately keep seven corners, meaning probably only Cortez or Warren gets cut.

Steelersfan87
08-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Just because a player hasn't yet proven to be a failure doesn't mean he is better than the incumbent starter..."next man up" syndrome.

Steelerindc
08-22-2011, 05:10 PM
We can only hope.

DITTO!!!!

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Just because a player hasn't yet proven to be a failure doesn't mean he is better than the incumbent starter..."next man up" syndrome.

while true you can't deny that lewis has much more of an upside than mcfadden. i'd like to see if b-mac can run with wallace in coverage without getting burnt by 20 yards, or having to give a 50 yard cushion

i wish they weren't so quick to resign gay. it looks like we have a crop of young talented corners to work with. I'm sure warren or maybe even brown could be an upgrade in the nickel. sure gay knows the defense, but having an undersized corner that runs a 4.67 is almost always going to be a mismatch that is not in our favor

Steelersfan87
08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I agree that Lewis' upside vastly overshadows McFadden's. As far as Gay goes, I fully believe that if all the young corners were healthy and really showed up in camp instead of watching from the sidelines, then Gay could have easily not made the team. At this point, however, I think (in the coaches' minds) he has to be there.

ricardisimo
08-22-2011, 07:01 PM
while true you can't deny that lewis has much more of an upside than mcfadden. i'd like to see if b-mac can run with wallace in coverage without getting burnt by 20 yards, or having to give a 50 yard cushion

i wish they weren't so quick to resign gay. it looks like we have a crop of young talented corners to work with. I'm sure warren or maybe even brown could be an upgrade in the nickel. sure gay knows the defense, but having an undersized corner that runs a 4.67 is almost always going to be a mismatch that is not in our favor
Is Gay really that slow? I could swear he was substantially faster than McFadden. He's certainly a better tackler, at least when he's in position to make a tackle (the Peterson highlight notwithstanding).

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Is Gay really that slow? I could swear he was substantially faster than McFadden. He's certainly a better tackler, at least when he's in position to make a tackle (the Peterson highlight notwithstanding).

he's quicker than mcfadden, as far as changing direction (which he should be, because of the smaller frame), but as far as straight line speed goes, gay is almost as slow as some linebackers. he's been burned in out patterns covering TEs, which is pretty sad. The only time he ever stops a play is usually in a short zone.

BKAnthem
08-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Warren hasn't exactly shown he can cover anyone, but he has shown he can make the tackle after the reception with minimal YAC. That's about all we ask our CB's to do, as cover corners usually come at a much higher price and require a more tampa 2 finesse style of defense. We like to field more physical bigger CB's that can stop the run. I don't know if warren fits this mold, but he may be just as good as BMAC and has shown he can stay healthy. I think that merits the good hard look by the coaches against philly, and hopefully again against the falcons. One good game is great, but stringing together a couple in the preseason will definitely improve his chances uprooting bmac as a starter.

But teams throw more so that makes having physical corners who can only play the run baffling.....if you have good cover corners you can cheat your safties up closer to the line because they don't have to help as much...a good cover corner gives the pass rush that extra 1-2 seconds to get to the QB , when Chad Henne is making you pay for having slow corners you need to take a look at your scheme

DanRooney
08-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I saw both last offseason running drills at Latrobe and I can tell you Mcfadden is much quicker and more fluid running cones. I have no idea where someone got the notion that Gay is a better tackler either because BMac is one of the best on our team ay wrapping up.

BKAnthem
08-22-2011, 11:59 PM
doesn't Gay have to actually be able to catch up to a receiver to tackle him anyway?

ricardisimo
08-23-2011, 12:07 AM
I watched the Philly game, and he was all over DeSean that first long bomb like ugly on a gorilla. Desean Jackson is fast, so... :noidea:

BKAnthem
08-23-2011, 12:09 AM
I watched the Philly game, and he was all over DeSean that first long bomb like ugly on a gorilla. Desean Jackson is fast, so... :noidea:

How far off him was he playing? and was the Ball under thrown?

ricardisimo
08-23-2011, 12:30 AM
How far off him was he playing? and was the Ball under thrown?
We're talking about one of the fastest straight-line runners in the NFL, and he was running right there with him. Kinda doesn't matter if the ball was even thrown at all.

Look, it's not some sort of logical fallacy to hold that one the one hand William Gay is not the long-term answer at the cornerback position, and on the other hand that he has decent games and even some excellent games. That is, in fact, my position. The hate that gets heaped onto that poor man is nothing short of astounding. He's a competent nickelback, and occasionally he's a decent corner, just not often enough. Can't we just leave it at that?

Steelersfan87
08-23-2011, 12:36 AM
doesn't Gay have to actually be able to catch up to a receiver to tackle him anyway?

No, because McFadden plays to keep the ball in front of him.

Moose
08-23-2011, 03:07 AM
McFadden and his 5 yrd cushions drive me crazy. Yea, he keeps the play in front of him, but usually by the time the receiver catches the ball it's already a 15+ yrd pick-up and a 1st down. McFadden let's them catch the ball and then chases them down to only PUSH them out of bounds !! UGH---pisses me off !! I'm still undecided on Gay. I thought with his size he'd be hammering people. His time may be limited also.

finesward
08-24-2011, 09:18 AM
But teams throw more so that makes having physical corners who can only play the run baffling.....if you have good cover corners you can cheat your safties up closer to the line because they don't have to help as much...a good cover corner gives the pass rush that extra 1-2 seconds to get to the QB , when Chad Henne is making you pay for having slow corners you need to take a look at your scheme

You don't change schemes because of an area of weakness when all your other strengths prosper from it. Or because an average QB has a good day against it. Knee jerk to say the least. Every scheme has a weakness and CB is our cross to carry. Good cover corners are not cheap and you cant have the best LB corps in the NFL, the best safety in the game, a top 5 QB and RB, and keep wallace around without having a couple weak spots. It's impossible. You draft guys that are raw and try to coach them up, which is what we do. It worked with IKE, I'm sure eventually we will find one that will stick. Till then, keep the play in front of you, tackle soundly, and don't give up the big play...which they are historically very good at doing.

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 09:25 AM
good lord - it is only preseason - take tomlins comment for what it is worth but he has stated that preseason is a time to give the young guys a lot of looks. no better way to give them a look than to see how they fit in with the starters. hey - it is possible that we could finally see some more rotating/fresher faces but lets not go overboard. we can win with these guys - we were 1 mistake away from still winning sb 45 regardless of dbs - i think the new db coach will get back to the basics and we'll see an improvement

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
full confidence that new db coach will be looking to make a splash - much like kugler did - can't say the o-line didn't look better when healthy - i expect the same this year with dbs. can't get any worse

vogaman
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
I've been checking out this board at work lately, and this topic compelled me to join (for some reason).

After rewatching the highlights:

On the Eagles first play, Keenan Lewis was at RCB and was technically "covering" Desean Jackson on the deep incomplete pass (with William Gay at LCB against Riley Cooper). It was a cover 3 look with both corners playing about 7-8 yds. off the line. Cooper ran a pattern over the middle and Ryan Clark came down to cover him, so Gay took over in "centerfield." We had that bootleg sniffed out all the way, with Harrison not losing contain on the play fake and Polamalu with good underneath coverage.

Neither Gay, nor Lewis are particularly fast (for the position), and neither of them are running stride for stride with Desean Jackson; let's not get carried away here. Unless the corner falls down or there's a double move, no corner in the league is getting beat deep in that situation, no matter who they're covering.

Of all the young defensive backs, Donovan Warren has impressed me the most - though that's probably because I didn't even know he existed prior to the Redskins game (which he played well in also). I hope that guy makes the team... cause I doubt he makes it to the practice squad.

Third Rail
08-28-2011, 03:01 PM
After last night's game, what is everyone's assessment of the CB situation?

My thoughts...

Crezdon Butler had a nice pick 6. Granted, it was on a backup QB, but let's be realistic here... our CBs have been beaten by some lousy QBs in the past. Hell, in 2009, they made Bruce Gradclownski look like Dan Marino. And they nearly let Ryan Shitzpantsquick beat them last season. So ANY CB making an interception is a positive sign.

Keenan Lewis looked good until he was injured.

Donovan Warren looked pretty good too. Never noticed this guy before but they were talking him up a bit and he seemed to be making plays.

As for our vets...

McFadden hasn't played yet but he was bad last year and I don't have much faith in him playing well returning from an injury.

William Gay has sucked for years and always will be horrible. The sooner he gets jettisoned the hell out of town the better.

stb_steeler
08-28-2011, 03:09 PM

My thoughts...

Crezdon Butler had a nice pick 6. Granted, it was on a backup QB, but let's be realistic here... our CBs have been beaten by some lousy QBs in the past. Hell, in 2009, they made Bruce Gradclownski look like Dan Marino. And they nearly let Ryan Shitzpantsquick beat them last season. So ANY CB making an interception is a positive sign.

Donovan Warren looked pretty good too. Never noticed this guy before but they were talking him up a bit and he seemed to be making plays.

As for our vets...

McFadden hasn't played yet but he was bad last year and I don't have much faith in him playing well returning from an injury.

William Gay has sucked for years and always will be horrible. The sooner he gets jettisoned the hell out of town the better.

I think you just answered your own question.....

Fire Arians
08-28-2011, 05:18 PM

My thoughts...

As for our vets...

I think our secondary will be good to go this year. Butler I have a feeling will make an impact sooner than later, and hopefully can at least make a case to be the starting nickel over gay. other than ike and troy, we probably have some of the slowest players in the secondary. However, having butler on that field solves some of that issue.

lewis looks ready to start in the #2 spot. I was pissed when he went down with an injury, hopefully it's not serious. he has better cover skills than mcfadden imo.

gay actually played a nice game for a change. but his issue's always never being able to make a play when we really need it

i hope butler gets another chance to show his stuff next week. I watched him in college and he's a ball-hawk type of corner that can break a game open with his ability to also run with it, and he's really good at jumping underneath routes

Third Rail
08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I'm liking Butler a lot so far. It's always tough to judge in the preseason but I really, REALLY hope one of these guys is the answer to our 3rd down issues.

Steelerindc
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
We can only hope.

DITTO!!!!

PhantomJB93
08-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I swear to God, William Gay is the Limas Sweed of the defense, except instead of being benched or surpassed on the depth chart, he keeps getting resigned and given ample playing time :banging:

ricardisimo
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Yet again, Gay had a decent game, but it doesn't matter. It has been decided that he sucks, and therefore every game he plays is a bad game, even if his number never gets called. It's just weird.

And I'll state once again for the record: I don't think Gay is anything other than a decent nickelback and occasional relief. Still, what the ****? :noidea:

Want1MoreSB
08-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I have never been a fan of either one of them. If they are traded or released, who are their replacements? Good DBs are hard to come by. Our team keeps on finding good WRs but can't find good DBs even if their life depended on it!

BKAnthem
08-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I have never been a fan of either one of them. If they are traded or released, who are their replacements? Good DBs are hard to come by. Our team keeps on finding good WRs but can't find good DBs even if their life depended on it!

Anyone playing behind them...they aren't better than any of them

Fire Arians
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Anyone playing behind them...they aren't better than any of them

i wouldn't be so sure about that, we have some talented youth in the secondary. i bet any of them can cover better than mcfadden or gay

Steelersfan87
08-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Being able to cover better and being a better cornerback, especially a better cornerback in a specific scheme, are very different things. Ideally, Keenan Lewis at some point will be able to unseat McFadden, moving him to the nickel spot, and either Crezdon Butler or Curtis Brown could then fight Gay and McFadden for the nickel and dime spots. It would be a huge asset to the defense to be able to successfully run a dime package, especially with players with better pure cover abilities than McFadden and Gay (Lewis and Brown in particular).