PDA

View Full Version : Ravens' Harbaugh says he was not trying to embarrass Chiefs

ricardisimo
08-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Harbaugh's a dick, but I think it's also official now: Haley's a whiner.

If Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) coach Todd Haley appeared upset at the end of Friday night's 31-13 preseason loss (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081954/2011/PRE2/chiefs@ravens) to Baltimore, he was, and he let coach John Harbaugh know about his displeasure with the Ravens' decision to call a pair of timeouts in the game's final minute.
Haley, not one to mince words, apparently had some strong ones for Harbaugh when the two met at midfield, just moments after the Ravens scored with five seconds to play on a 1-yard touchdown run by rookie running back Anthony Allen.

Harbaugh said during his postgame news conference that he told Haley he wasn't trying to embarrass the Chiefs, just give valuable playing time to some of his less experienced players.
"I want to apologize to the Chiefs if they feel like we were not doing the right thing at the end of the game," Harbaugh said, via the Carroll County Times (http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/local/ravens-harbaugh-defends-late-game-tactics/article_b80de718-cb1e-11e0-8cf4-001cc4c03286.html). "The mindset was this is preseason. If this had been regular season, we would have been on a knee. The idea in that situation is to give these young guys who work hard and who are trying to make a football team to play the whole 60 minutes and give them a chance to show what they could do.
"I know that's debatable. I know there is a point of view both ways. I understand that. But I just felt like that was the right thing to do for our players, to give them a chance to play the game out and see what they could do."
Describing the exchange with Haley, Harbaugh said the Chiefs coach said "something like 'I don't know about that,'" to which Harbaugh responded, "'Preseason, preseason, for the young guys.'"
Haley did not appear to harbor any ill will towards harbaugh when speaking to the media following the game.
"I just control what we do, and (what Harbaugh did is) probably no different than the way I feel," Haley said. "Every day is important, every snap is important. There are probably guys out on the field that may have had very limited opportunities. Us, as coaches, we get very limited opportunities ... we talk about evaluation being so critical. There are some guys, for us, who didn't get to play a bunch of snaps. I worry about us. Coach (Harbaugh) has to do what he has to do to get his team ready. I'm trying to do what we have to do to have ours ready."
Harbaugh said he meant no disrespect to Haley.
"I've got a lot of respect for Todd Haley and a lot of respect for the Chiefs organization and what they do," Harbaugh said. "It was just purely about trying to get young guys in a game situation to show their abilities."

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Hate to say it, but have to go with Harbaugh on this one - it is preseason and it is a real game for those guys playing at the end of the 4th quarter fighting for a job (such as the Eagles getting points during garbage time Thursday night)

SteelCityMom
08-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah, gotta agree with Harbaugh on this one too. Haley's just butthurt. It's what preseason is for...I wonder if Haley understands that they don't count for the season lol.

MasterOfPuppets
08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
i concur. as much as i'd like to flame the ratbird , his defense of his actions is legitimate.
he had an opportunity to test some young guys in a goal line situation. hailey should have viewed it in the same light instead of being a little bitch about it.

theplatypus
08-21-2011, 11:16 AM
There must be something in the water since we all seem to agree that a Raven was right.

wera176
08-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Ummm, isn't that what preseason is about? Maybe he should look at why his defense couldn't stop 'em.

In the regular season he may have had a case, but even then isn't score one of the tie-breakers?

:blah:

steelerchad
08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Hate to say it, but have to go with Harbaugh on this one - it is preseason and it is a real game for those guys playing at the end of the 4th quarter fighting for a job (such as the Eagles getting points during garbage time Thursday night)

as much as it pains me, I think Harbaugh is correct on this. Haley should have appreciated a chance for his young guys on defense getting a shot at a goalline stand with time running down. It's also not like it was 60-3 or something. The score was 24-13 at the time. Big deal. Preseason is a glorified practice to evaluate your talent and make adjustments.

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Haley did the exact same thing last year during the regular season, as I recall. He needs to learn to deal with it.

hicksfan
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
haley needs to worry more about his own team. he got pissy with denver's mcdaniels after running up the score last year. that shit will happen if you don't have your team ready.

OX1947
09-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Two biggest bitches in the NFL head coach fraternity. I cant stand them.

As much as Coughlin's whiny face and complaining during a game makes me want to kick him in the face while wearing a golf shoe, at least he doesn't bitch in the media or at a coach for whipping his ass.

sharkweek
09-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Two biggest bitches in the NFL head coach fraternity. I cant stand them.

As much as Coughlin's whiny face and complaining during a game makes me want to kick him in the face while wearing a golf shoe, at least he doesn't bitch in the media or at a coach for whipping his ass.

sure, two of biggest, but not the biggest :chuckle:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wj7LmwnhKsI/TT2Yvi4QU2I/AAAAAAAAATk/Wbl-w7YnYoo/s1600/RexRyanHeadset.gif

Baltimore Ravens Fan
09-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I don't get Haley. He's always complaining when he's losing or lost against the Ravens, but I don't see all of the hate towards John Harbaugh he's been a great coach since he's been here. Every coach has their fair share of complaining about calls.

dsr
09-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Haley might not last long, even coming off a division win. 0-4 in preseason doesn't count for much, but losing the 4th game against the Packers when he played his first string for the whole game, Packers entire first team was out after 1 series each? And then 41-7 at the Bills? That's worse than just bad.