PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in trading Dixon?

Wallabeast17
08-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Link 1: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/19/2373150/dixon-trade-rumor

Link 2: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Steelers-looking-to-trade-QB-Dixon?urn=nfl-388132

As of right now this just seems to be a rumor. However, would you trade him and for what or whom?

sharkweek
08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
he's ultimately no better than our other 2 backup QBs, given that, and the fact that we got him in the 5th round, we'll be ahead of the curve getting even just a 5th round pick for him.

kirklandrules
08-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Not sure why a team would trade for him. He'll be on the street with bags in had in just a few weeks ... just send a car to pick him up!

Steeldude
08-22-2011, 10:28 AM
i doubt anyone would give anything more than a 6th rounder, tops. dixon was a waste of a 5th round pick.

Wallabeast17
08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Yea I really don't see someone trading for him. It goes back to when he was holding out and wanting to be traded, the thing is Dixon you haven't done anything to prove any sort of value! haha

Interesting though, someone on another from suggested the 49's for Taylor Mays...

thumper
08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Why would anyone trade for him? Makes no sense.

MACH1
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
If someone wanted him they would have signed him before he resigned with the Steelers.

If we can trade him and get something from him, do it or otherwise he's here for another year.

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
why not, i would much rather have batch or leftwich over him any day of the week

SteelersTilIDie
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
If someone wanted him they would have signed him before he resigned with the Steelers.

If we can trade him and get something from him, do it or otherwise he's here for another year.

He was a restricted free agent so he couldn't have been signed away because we tendered him. I think some team would take a 4th/5th round flyer on him because he's shown flashes like in that Ravens game 2 years ago when he started or last season against the Falcons and in the preseason in general.

pancake
08-22-2011, 11:57 AM

Maybe we could get a water boy to be named later or even a case of land shark? I think that might be fair...:sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
He was a restricted free agent so he couldn't have been signed away because we tendered him. I think some team would take a 4th/5th round flyer on him because he's shown flashes like in that Ravens game 2 years ago when he started or last season against the Falcons and in the preseason in general.
yes he was a restricted FA. he also received the low tender which means a team would have had to pony up a 5th round pick for snatching him off the roster. :doh:

James Walker of ESPN reports that Dixon will sign his one-year restricted free-agent tender and report to the Steelers.

Dixon is a restricted free agent with a fifth-round tender, which means any team was free to sign Dixon to an offer sheet and, if the Steelers declined to match the offer, acquire him for nothing more than a fifth-round pick. The fact that no team signed him to such an offer sheet indicates that NFL teams don’t view Dixon as ready to be an NFL starter.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/dennis-dixon-changes-mind-will-sign-steelers-tender/

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
ok....nevermind....:chuckle:

Raiders draft Terrelle Pryor
The Oakland Raiders selected former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the third round of Monday's supplemental draft.
A Raiders source told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the team is looking at Pryor more as receiver than a quarterback at the NFL level.

the raiders can't even develope a receiver into a receiver, how are they going to turn a qb into a receiver ?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6885024/terrelle-pryor-oakland-raiders-supplemental-draft

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 01:32 PM
another stupid move by the raiders, good to see that some things never change lol

Steelersfan87
08-22-2011, 03:17 PM
If the Steelers can get even a 7th round pick out of Dixon, I would take it. Maybe they could then trade that 7th round pick for a 6th round pick the following year or something. The Steelers are better off picking up older veteran starters like Batch and Leftwich to be their backups.

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
ok....nevermind....:chuckle:

the raiders can't even develope a receiver into a receiver, how are they going to turn a qb into a receiver ?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6885024/terrelle-pryor-oakland-raiders-supplemental-draft
oops...i posted in the wrong thread ... unless of course a smart ass mod moved it here to make me look like a dumbass...:scratchchin:....yep... that's what happend ...i'm on to your treachery dammit !!!:mad:

sharkweek
08-22-2011, 04:03 PM
i doubt anyone would give anything more than a 6th rounder, tops. dixon was a waste of a 5th round pick.

lol come on now, he was worth at least 1 win last season in the first game thanks to all the QB injury and suspended Ben. And while we ultimately lost the Superbowl, we might not have made it even that far if we had gone 11-5 and the Ravens had won the division instead

honestly that's as much as any team could hope for out of a 5th round pick

that being said, it did seem a bit silly to take a QB like him that high without trying to utilize his athletic ability more rather than just develop him strictly as a backup QB

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 04:36 PM
If the Steelers can get even a 7th round pick out of Dixon, I would take it. Maybe they could then trade that 7th round pick for a 6th round pick the following year or something. The Steelers are better off picking up older veteran starters like Batch and Leftwich to be their backups.

i agree. backup QB's should either be: 1) a veteran that is capable of winning a few games if the starter goes down, or 2) qb of the future. dixon is neither.

thumper
08-22-2011, 05:11 PM
lol come on now, he was worth at least 1 win last season in the first game thanks to all the QB injury and suspended Ben. And while we ultimately lost the Superbowl, we might not have made it even that far if we had gone 11-5 and the Ravens had won the division instead

honestly that's as much as any team could hope for out of a 5th round pick

that being said, it did seem a bit silly to take a QB like him that high without trying to utilize his athletic ability more rather than just develop him strictly as a backup QB

Naa, he was worth a 5th-round pick. Well worth the gamble. Before tearing
his knee up he was a Heisman contender and his team was consider a
legit possible contender to win it all. So, he didn't develop. Had he, we might
only had a good back up but we could have had trade bait for a 1st round pick.
That's well worth a 5th-round pick, considering most our picks that late
don't usually even make the team.

Chris Scott - Is he really our current starter at LT?
Joe Burnett - yea, who?
Frank Summers - turd
Dennis Dixon -
Cam Stephenson - poop
Omar Jacobs - rubbish
Nathanial Adibi - crap-a-licious
Brian St. Pierre - fart
Vernon Hayes - actually not a bad pick. Produced some.

You get the picture

thumper
08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Let me put this out there. Are the Steeler calling plays that gives DD a legit
chance of succeeding? He is not a pocket passer. He probably never will
be. But those plays I saw seemed to never allow him to be anything but a
pocket passer. He won't ever do that. But if they rolled him out, etc. he has
a chance to do some things. He looked handcuffed last game. Don't try
to make a cheetah into a Maine Coon. It won't work.

fer522
08-22-2011, 05:37 PM
i'd trade him for a $50.00 gift card
and an oil change:wink02:

rich4eagle
08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Dixon is the best backup to Ben the Steelers have right now. They should keep him

DanRooney
08-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Flashes in the Falcons game where he threw for no TDs and went 3 and out over and over again?

DanRooney
08-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Dixon is the best backup to Ben the Steelers have right now. They should keep him

lmao

ETL
08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Last year I got slammed on this board for pointing out how inexperienced and unproven Dixon was before the first game of the season against Atlanta.

I was called an anti-fan for even daring say anything negative about the Steelers starting QB

Now you guys are ready to toss this guy out. Dixon has always been what he is - a good backup. I can't see another team give up anything for that.

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 10:02 PM

i think batch tbh

DanRooney
08-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Last year I got slammed on this board for pointing out how inexperienced and unproven Dixon was before the first game of the season against Atlanta.

I was called an anti-fan for even daring say anything negative about the Steelers starting QB

Now you guys are ready to toss this guy out. Dixon has always been what he is - a good backup. I can't see another team give up anything for that.

I've always said he sucked. He still hasn't proven me wrong.

Can't read defenses, horrible mechanics, locks on to one receiver too often, and has a very weak ARM.

Moose
08-23-2011, 02:13 AM
I think they keep Ben, Lefty and Batch. The experience of starting NFL games is an advantage and Lefty and Batch have it. Plus it would be good to keep Batch around for a future coaching positon somewhere in the organization. Dixon doesn't impress me. He has speed, but he still has trouble reading defense and doesn't look the field over....usually checks a target then runs. Dump him. Just my opinion.