PDA

View Full Version : Trai Essex Resigned!

Deserei90
08-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Yep, Just heard it on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/steelers Steelers signed Trai Essex, waived rookie G Nevin McKaskill

thumper
08-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Versatile. He can play several positions equally poorly.

OX1947
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
YES! Trai Essux is finally signed. Now I can relax...

BossAus
08-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Confirmed by Jason La Canfora as well.

Steeler4life1972
08-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Im not at all concerned about our offensive line!! If we had a statue as a qb then I would be...we have big ben and he always finds a way to win and get away from defenders so everybody quit fretting!

Wallabeast17
08-22-2011, 06:43 PM
YES THANK GOD WE GOT HIM BACK!!! (Sarcasm) who cares? I don't see the point just another body on the line . nothing spectacular. But I never paid much attention to him so maybe hes worth it? But I doubt it!

Steelersfan87
08-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I have a feeling this move is bad news for Ramon Foster.

StainlessStill
08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
YES THANK GOD WE GOT HIM BACK!!! (Sarcasm) who cares? I don't see the point just another body on the line . nothing spectacular. But I never paid much attention to him so maybe hes worth it? But I doubt it!

I think it's the complete opposite. Essex played sparingly over several positions and certainly knows this offense. We have a lot to lose not adding another depth position in the possible starting rotation. Essex can get it done. This offense line just looks fugly. I'm to the point to where I have no idea who's going to be starting where other than Pouncey, Colon and Kemo.

Atlanta Dan
08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
More money that should have been used to sign Burress:banging:

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2011, 07:04 PM
damn , damn, damn ....:banging:

stb_steeler
08-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Im not at all concerned about our offensive line!! If we had a statue as a qb then I would be...we have big ben and he always finds a way to win and get away from defenders so everybody quit fretting!

Yeah but the older Ben gets, he's not goin to be able to take 20 sacks a season! :coffee:

Steeler4life1972
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah but the older Ben gets, he's not goin to be able to take 20 sacks a season! :coffee:

He's fine!! trust me...its not like he has to run for 20 yards every time...he's strong!! we have a guy that always gets open and he finds them...trust me we will be fine...i just worry about the non calls for roughing the passer!!

Fire Arians
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM

he's what I'd call serviceable but not a long term solution. With 2 tackles banged up, we need insurance there. He's not going to make the pro bowl, but he should be good enough for 3-4 games if we need him

Merchant
08-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Um... Yay? I guess

Atlanta Dan
08-22-2011, 09:27 PM
So much for money left for the return of Flozell

stb_steeler
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
He's fine!! trust me...its not like he has to run for 20 yards every time...he's strong!! we have a guy that always gets open and he finds them...trust me we will be fine...i just worry about the non calls for roughing the passer!!

They never call the late hits on Ben.....seen a few again thursdaynight.

ETL
08-22-2011, 11:04 PM
If I recall, Essex has played both RG and LT in his Steelers career. Those are the positions that we are thinnest at on the line.

If experience is worth anything, then this is a good signing.

BKAnthem
08-22-2011, 11:55 PM
So they signed a guy who couldn't hold onto a starting job while here, and didn't get a feakin' sniff in free agency... smh

MasterOfPuppets
08-23-2011, 12:11 AM
essux was let go for a reason. the fact that they are now calling him back means that someone on roster isn't living up to expectations. the question is who ? gilbert ? williams ? foster ? hills ? scott ?

Fire Arians
08-23-2011, 12:16 AM
essux was let go for a reason. the fact that they are now calling him back means that someone on roster isn't living up to expectations. the question is who ? gilbert ? williams ? foster ? hills ? scott ?

more like it means 2 of our tackles have knee injuries. at least one of them should be back in time for the season, they just need essex as insurance.

MasterOfPuppets
08-23-2011, 12:57 AM
more like it means 2 of our tackles have knee injuries. at least one of them should be back in time for the season, they just need essex as insurance.
colon
foster
gilbert
hills
jolly
c. scott
j. scott
turner

8 tackles on the roster fighting for maybe 2 spots (assuming they'll carry 2 backup tackles) on the roster and they need to throw essux in the mix because 2 have minor dings ? what was the point in releasing essux to begin with ?

Steelersfan87
08-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Foster has looked pretty dire thus far. As I've said earlier, I believe that this signing puts his roster spot in serious jeopardy and most likely places at least one of Chris Scott and Keith Williams on the practice squad. Also, bringing in another tackle with Essex's experience frees up Tony Hills to focus on being a RG.

MasterOfPuppets
08-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Foster has looked pretty dire thus far. As I've said earlier, I believe that this signing puts his roster spot in serious jeopardy and most likely places at least one of Chris Scott and Keith Williams on the practice squad. Also, bringing in another tackle with Essex's experience frees up Tony Hills to focus on being a RG.
yep... a guy with his experience that no other team was interested in...:doh:

you know you cut a crappy player when the vulture in arizona ain't even interested.

solardave
08-23-2011, 02:36 AM
They never call the late hits on Ben.....seen a few again thursdaynight.

If that one below the knees were against Marcia Brady they would be stringing someone up on the sideline. But because Ben is not a bonifide pansy they look the other way.

Moose
08-23-2011, 02:54 AM
I think Essex signing was insurance purpose. Or maybe a couple other reasons such as, maybe one of the injuries is a little more serious than the front office is letting us know about, or maybe they plan on using someone in another spot other than the tackle position.

stiller39
08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Essex is a servicable backup that knows the system and I am sure came cheap.

Definitely a stiller signing that isn't sexy but will help us win which is what we do.

austinfrench76
08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree that bringing him back let's Hills focus on RG!

Gilbert is a rookie and he didn't look bad the other noght against the Philly starters. So Essex adds to the LT depth and maybe Hills becomes a stud RG??

kirklandrules
08-23-2011, 01:14 PM
I thought Essex was an average backup LT. Which is far kinder than anything I could say about him as a RG. But I thought Jonathan Scott was at best an average backup LT and the Steelers went to the SB with him as their starter.

Fire Arians
08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
colon
foster
gilbert
hills
jolly
c. scott
j. scott
turner

8 tackles on the roster fighting for maybe 2 spots (assuming they'll carry 2 backup tackles) on the roster and they need to throw essux in the mix because 2 have minor dings ? what was the point in releasing essux to begin with ?

well considering that chris scott has been a huge disappointment, and the fact that gilbert was the backup LT to jonathan scott says a lot about how much others on that list suck, and that they want hills to stay at RG. Not saying gilbert sucks, but he's as green as it gets, he's probably not even ready to take on a backup role yet. In time, but while we wait, essex has done a good job as a backup in the past. He knows our offense so he can contribute on day 1 if needed.

thumper
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM

No worries. Burress is a washed up felon who can't play anymore. :noidea:

pancake
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
well considering that chris scott has been a huge disappointment, and the fact that gilbert was the backup LT to jonathan scott says a lot about how much others on that list suck, and that they want hills to stay at RG. Not saying gilbert sucks, but he's as green as it gets, he's probably not even ready to take on a backup role yet. In time, but while we wait, essex has done a good job as a backup in the past. He knows our offense so he can contribute on day 1 if needed.

I totally agree, this signing shows disappointment in a few that they wanted to step up and also shows Gilbert is just not ready yet. I do see Gilbert being at least the back up by the end of the season.

thumper
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree that bringing him back let's Hills focus on RG!

Gilbert is a rookie and he didn't look bad the other noght against the Philly starters. So Essex adds to the LT depth and maybe Hills becomes a stud RG??

Hills will never be a stud anything on the OL. But he could be serviceable. He is
not a road grater, which is what you want from an OG. He's big, but not really
overly powerful. Never was.

pancake
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Hills will never be a stud anything on the OL. But he could be serviceable. He is

I think so too, but maybe he could hold down the position for a year until we can draft a kid worthy starting RG. That's my hope...

Buddha Bus
08-23-2011, 04:01 PM

It's road grader. Your knowledge of the English language is pedestrian at best. :thmbdown: :shake01:

pancake
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Stichcomb, I believe is still available... :doh:

I'm sure more expensive too...

Fire Arians
08-23-2011, 04:29 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/SJokNo9jywI/AAAAAAAABHM/6P0ysDVLClU/s320/KemoEATuTheRoadGrader.jpg

Buddha Bus
08-23-2011, 04:35 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/SJokNo9jywI/AAAAAAAABHM/6P0ysDVLClU/s320/KemoEATuTheRoadGrader.jpg

:rofl:

tanda10506
08-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Any extra body's on the line is a help. With the exception of Pouncey, I don't see any of the other linemen much better then the next. At least this way we won't see Ziggy Hood on the O line!, damn near what it came down to last year.

DanRooney
08-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I totally agree, this signing shows disappointment in a few that they wanted to step up and also shows Gilbert is just not ready yet. I do see Gilbert being at least the back up by the end of the season.

I like Gilbert as the backup now. It'll keep him on his toes knowing he's 1 injury away from starting. You keep him 3rd on the depth chart and he'll likely just rot away like most of our 2nd round picks that end up being bums.

BKAnthem
08-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I wonder if they had gone OL, DB 1st and 2nd round that last 2 years if they would be having this problem...

Steelersfan87
08-24-2011, 12:08 AM
I like Gilbert as the backup now. It'll keep him on his toes knowing he's 1 injury away from starting. You keep him 3rd on the depth chart and he'll likely just rot away like most of our 2nd round picks that end up being bums.

I agree with this.

Fire Arians
08-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I wonder if they had gone OL, DB 1st and 2nd round that last 2 years if they would be having this problem...

well we did grab pouncey last year. ziggy 2 years ago was also a solid pick. of course it's debatable, but I think youth on the D-line was/is just as important as upgrading our o-line. god forbid what would have happened to our defense last year when smith went down, if ziggy wasn't there to step in. we'd probably see flashbacks of the defense we saw when aaron smith went down in 2007 without any heir apparent.

tanda10506
08-24-2011, 02:50 AM
We got to O linemen and two CB's in the draft this year. Last year we got Pouncey and I think the FO was thinking that getting him combined with some of the previously injured (and those playing poorly the year before) players stepping up would make the O line pretty good. I think drafting 2 OL and 2 CB's is about as good as you can do as far as drafting for certain positions goes. I thought Heyward was a great choice, and from what I seen, by the time the Steelers were drafting the big name OL's were already gone.

finesward
08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Versatile. He can play several positions equally poorly.

now on this we agree.

finesward
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
No worries. Burress is a washed up felon who can't play anymore. :noidea:

Starting from this season who will have the longer more productive career? Burress, or Brown?

That's why we didn't break the bank for plax, get over it already. Why retard the growth of Brown and/or Sanders to get 1 or 2 good seasons (at a high price) out of plex? Yeah yeah, win now...but we never sign free agents to win now, that's the jets, eagles, and redskins prerogative.