PDA

View Full Version : New Kickoff Rule Will Help Steelers Tremendously

bozz723
08-23-2011, 03:28 AM
IMO.

One of the Steelers greatest weaknesses is always kick return coverage. When we let teams start from the 35+, and that happens A LOT.

With the new kickoff rule from the 35 most drives will start from the 20 or below. This will exponentially help the Steelers defense and team.

Our offense seems to be able to go on long sustained drives as well. This rule, even though stupid, will help the Steelers tremendously.

cloppbeast
08-23-2011, 07:32 AM
We wouldn't have beat the Titans last year under the new rule.:noidea:

I do agree wit you though. Our kick-off coverage usually stinks.

SteeleReign
08-23-2011, 07:39 AM
I agree - it certainly won't hurt us, however....I HATE THIS RULE!! Just put the damn ball on the 20 & stop wasting everybody's time. Absolutely stupid!!

NEWstevo
08-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Even though it may help the Steelers and their weak kick offs, I hate it too. All I see is one more forced commercial break. They go to break after a score... come back and kick off... then right back in to break.

Thank god I record the game and watch it 30 minutes after it starts. So after a TD/Field Goal, I can just hit FF on my DVR for 5-7 minutes.

theplatypus
08-23-2011, 09:26 AM
We wouldn't have beat the Titans last year under the new rule.:noidea:

I do agree wit you though. Our kick-off coverage usually stinks.

But we would have beaten the Jets.

Wallabeast17
08-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Even though it may help the Steelers and their weak kick offs, I hate it too. All I see is one more forced commercial break. They go to break after a score... come back and kick off... then right back in to break.

Thank god I record the game and watch it 30 minutes after it starts. So after a TD/Field Goal, I can just hit FF on my DVR for 5-7 minutes.

That is a hell of a good idea! I may just have to start doing that!

pancake
08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
That is a hell of a good idea! I may just have to start doing that!

I have did it for years. I usually catch up to the game live in the 3rd quarter.

OX1947
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM

Looks like i am going to have to do this. I hate doing it on Sundays when so many other games are going on, but Goodell and the greed can suck a big fat ****....

SteeleReign
08-23-2011, 06:16 PM

I do this too! Just remember not to check your text messages until you've caught up!!

Moose
08-23-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm not feeling it as a plus for the Steeler's. You are right, our coverage is pathetic, with giving returns of 20,30 yrds or more sometimes. But the whole idea is to put the ball IN THE ENDZONE to eliminate the returns...... do we have someone who can do that constantly ??!!!

ricardisimo
08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
The Cleveland Browns' best player - only player, really - just got taken away from them. Kind of...

DanRooney
08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Not when your kicker can't boot it out of the endzone like 95 percent of the other kickers around the league.

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Not when your kicker can't boot it out of the endzone like 95 percent of the other kickers around the league.
Didn't we get rid of Reed? :huh:

pancake
08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
I hope our kicker can kick it that far...

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Didn't we get rid of Reed? :huh:

Suisham's leg is equally as pathetic on the kickoffs.

Steelersfan87
08-24-2011, 11:23 PM
He's had 2 kickoffs so far under the new rules. One went for a touchback and the other went 8 yards deep.

madtowndrunkard
08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I think anyone who's watched the steelers for the last 20 years has to agree that the new kick off rule will help the steelers.

My god, how many games have we lost because of bad coverage units? holy cow.... I would dare to say we'd have another Lombardi if this rule was in place the last 10 years

Asking any offense to drive the field against our defense has always been a daunting task. Just look at the past few years... I would guess that half the TD's scored against us were on short fields. Either given by a turnover or poor ST's play.

DanRooney
08-25-2011, 01:39 PM
He's had 2 kickoffs so far under the new rules. One went for a touchback and the other went 8 yards deep.

Was one of them the one where the Skins KR ran it out for about 60 yards? I wasn't sure if that was Suisham or not.

Steelersfan87
08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Was one of them the one where the Skins KR ran it out for about 60 yards? I wasn't sure if that was Suisham or not.

Yeah, but can you blame the kicker for that? He pinned it 8 yards into the end zone. Under normal circumstances, that doesn't even get returned.

DanRooney
08-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but can you blame the kicker for that? He pinned it 8 yards into the end zone. Under normal circumstances, that doesn't even get returned.

Guess not. But its frustrating seeing Billy Cundiff kick it through the uprights every chance he gets.

If I remember right, Antonio Brown had a few good KO returns against the Ravens last year. Ben starting from his 20 every go against that defense is going to be rough.

Steelersfan87
08-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Definitely agree on that point. I've read that the team has given Brown the green light to return anything that he can catch 5 yards deep provided he can catch it on the move.