PDA

View Full Version : how do you think our running game is gunna be?

dawson36
05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
what do you guys think our running game will be like this year? without the BUS.

i think we will do okay but the BUS was a good assest to our team he made good plays and stuff and was strong and big he could go through the middle and bang the shit outta people. but now we have the speed and we can get on the outside. so idk

give me your opinions thanks

Black@Gold Forever32
05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
what do you guys think our running game will be like this year? without the BUS.

i think we will do okay but the BUS was a good assest to our team he made good plays and stuff and was strong and big he could go through the middle and bang the shit outta people. but now we have the speed and we can get on the outside. so idk

Our running game will be like last years running game only better. The main two reasons the offense line has had a whole year to play together. Last year Max Starks was first time starter and Kendall Simmons was coming back from injury. So the right side of our offensive line was different from the 2004 version were Oliver Ross was starting at RT and Keydrick Vincent was starting at RG when Simmons went down in training camp with a torn ACL. So that fact alone should make our running game better.

My other reason Willie Parker has a year of starting under his belt now. He should be only better this year and will be more cormfortable letting his natural instincts take over. I think at times last year Parker was thinking to much. Which is natural for a young inexperienced player.

Now don't get me wrong if Staley can't stay healthy and can't take over the
Bus role then its up to Verron Haynes. That could effect our running game. But if one of those guys can play the Bettis role then I expect our running game to be the same or even better then last years.

dawson36
05-30-2006, 03:35 PM
who do you think will run the ball most PARKER or STALEY?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
who do you think will run the ball most PARKER or STALEY?

Well Parker like last year. Willie the starter. Staley will be in the Jerome Bettis role this year. Verron Haynes will be the third down back. If Staley can't stay healthy or is ineffective then its up Haynes to fill the Bettis role. If Haynes can't do it then who maybe Cedric Humes. But I'm more then confident that Staley and Haynes can step up and Willie Parker will be better then last year. No worries about the running game for me. We will be just fine.

WWIIOwheelz
05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
I totally agree with the above. I think Verron is a very good back, am looking forward to the pre-season to see him get more touches. He broke some great runs last year.

GoFor6
05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
The person who replaces Bettis will be the one that Cowher is most convinced will produce the most non-negative runs. The role is to get 2 to 3 yards but more importantly not to lose any yards - Jerome was great at that. A negative run on 3rd and short can be a major momemtum shift and Cowher hates momemtum shift. I am betting on Verron to be the man - he has the foot work to avoid the negative yards.

ARKIESTEEL
05-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Not to step on anyones toes but you all are right and you all are wrong for not hitting the #1 answer for why our run game will be better; which is our pass game will be better. Ben will have better targets with a 2nd year Big bad Heath Miller guys fighting hard for the 2nd and 3rd spot on the team Ben will have another year of learning under his belt so the pass game will be very good, which does what? doesnt let you cheat the run stop defense. Now i am not saying Fast Willie and boys wont be tearing it up on their own they will just have help and our o-line in the run block mode is the best in the NFL.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Not to step on anyones toes but you all are right and you all are wrong for not hitting the #1 answer for why our run game will be better; which is our pass game will be better. Ben will have better targets with a 2nd year Big bad Heath Miller guys fighting hard for the 2nd and 3rd spot on the team Ben will have another year of learning under his belt so the pass game will be very good, which does what? doesnt let you cheat the run stop defense. Now i am not saying Fast Willie and boys wont be tearing it up on their own they will just have help and our o-line in the run block mode is the best in the NFL.

Very good post and thats true. Our whole offense will be much better and more dangerous in 2006. The biggest reason the offense will be better is our QB will be in his third year. The third year for a QB is really when a QB starts to show major improvement.

sheba
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I think it will almost the same with out the bus.with all that he taught Willie. But it will be harder to get those 1,2,or3 yard TD runs.

William Munney
05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I think the Steelers will be fine. Willie one year as a starter under his belt. Verron and Duce will back him. Lots of depth. Big Ben will be in his third year as a starter with a lot of weapons. This O is going to be scary...

3 to be 4
05-30-2006, 10:50 PM

did he really call Bettis a good assest to the team?:sofunny:

tony hipchest
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
did he really call Bettis a good assest to the team?:sofunny:

lol. jerome was the kicking assest player on the team last year!

or was he the ass kinkingest player on the team?

MattsMe
05-30-2006, 10:53 PM
tha rock, is that you?

3 to be 4
05-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Bettis's ass has its own congressman.

tony hipchest
05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Bettis's ass has its own congressman. and its own bowl ring. how many players can say that????

coachspeak33
05-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I think Duce has something to prove this year.... and I believe he is gonna flourish in the "closer" role.... he got bigger and stronger... his body should be fresh as a daisy after opting for a part time role and defering to Bettis in his last go 'round.... and during the last two seasons that "closer" role was manned by the greatest Steeler of the last decade.... Jerome Bettis.... Duce will take pride in that role and excell..... remember he is an excellent pass catcher (much better than the Bus) and that will expand the playbook a bit.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Our running game will be fine.The Bus was more important in the locker room than he was on the field.

His stats from the 2005 season:

Yards- 368
Yards Per Game Average- 30.7
Touchdowns- 9

His biggest production was in touchdowns because he was mostly a goal line back,and Duce is probally gonna take over that roll this year.

Parker will be even better.He will have had a year of starting under his belt and will be better stamina-wise.He wasn't the starter in college so he wasn't used to getting the full load of carries like he did last year.I expect him not to break down so much at the mid-end part of the season and to run with some more power like he did against the Titans and Texans last season.

burgsville
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I think Hayes is a bit of a fumbler. He's a stud but Staley will push Parker for the starting nod. Should be ok. The passing game should not change too much. We have run blocking linemen.

ARKIESTEEL
05-31-2006, 04:19 PM
I think Hayes is a bit of a fumbler. He's a stud but Staley will push Parker for the starting nod. Should be ok. The passing game should not change too much. We have run blocking linemen.

Not trying to fight with you just looking for stats on Verons fumbles?

shimmysteelerfan
05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
our running game is going to be like it was last year, if duece stays healthy all year he will fit the bettis role just fine.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 05:24 PM
If Duce can stay healthy, I see no reason why our running game can't be just as good if not better than last season. Duce staying healthy concerns me very much heading into this season. Maybe I'm being paranoid?

Livinginthe past
05-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Not trying to fight with you just looking for stats on Verons fumbles?

Arkie, NFL.com is always a useful resource for player/team stats.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302046

Haynes has fumbled 4 times in his whole career and failed to recover 3 of them.

He has 159 career carries, so that equated to a fumble every 40 carries.

If we compare him to a couple of backs we should get some context for those stats.

First up - an elite back.

Edgerrin James 2188 carries 33 fumbles which works out at a fumble every 66 carries.

Secondly, a career back-up who has a reputation for fumbling.

Kevin Faulk 607 carries and 21 fumbles which works out at a fumble every 29 carries.

As you can see, he is not the worst of performers for a back-up - but then he has had very little work to do in his career - a couple of fumbles early next year would bring his average plummeting down.

NM

ARKIESTEEL
05-31-2006, 05:27 PM
I didnt think he fumbled much but as much as I hate to say this to a pats fan YOU THE MAN with the stats rep to you

Livinginthe past
05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I didnt think he fumbled much but as much as I hate to say this to a pats fan YOU THE MAN with the stats rep to you

Thanks Arkie - its the offseason - you are allowed to positive rep Patriots fans :cool:

NM

ARKIESTEEL
05-31-2006, 05:32 PM
I may get pounded onto dust for saying this but i think Veron Dan and Willie can carry the load. I am not a big fan of Duce and never have been he has got paid for 2 years worth of work yet only put in about half that amount. I know he has been hurt but rb get hit alot so you need to be tuff. I was realy hopeing we went after TJ Ducket or White back during the draft but we didnt so we got what we got. Willie will get it done for us Dan will block and Veron will ice the cake we will be fine. If Duce does well this year (over 600 yards 10 tds) I will eat my words.

83-Steelers-43
05-31-2006, 05:39 PM
If Duce does well this year (over 600 yards 10 tds) I will eat my words.

If he can stay healthy, I see no reason why he can't accomplish those numbers. Keep in mind his TD's were low because Bettis cleaned up. His first year here proved enough to me when he's healthy. But once again, that's the big question.

Also with Duce, he's pretty darn good out of the backfield. With Duce you have more options than you do with Haynes and for the most part I feel Duce is the better RB (when healthy).

ARKIESTEEL
05-31-2006, 05:42 PM
I am not knocking him just dont like guys who take up spots and dont produce. He blocks well and has soft hands for a big guy so i dont hate him he is just not my favorite. Dan may be my favorite Steeler right now big dont get no credit. I would like to see him get the ball more on screen plays and a swing type pass ever now and then. IT would help keep the defense a little more honest.

Ambridge
06-01-2006, 02:35 AM
I believe the running attack is still going to be questionable and could be the weak link on the offense.
All of the RB's have to avoid the injury bug and one of them has to step up as the new leader of the group.

The one thing that is going to be sorely missed is the leadership, attitude and intensity that JB brought not only to the running game but to the entire offense.

Santonio4
06-01-2006, 07:59 AM
If Duce stays healthy (thats a long shot) we can have an effective running game. Willie is a good runningback but he still isnt very consistant.

treadhead
06-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree with much of the sentiment expressed here. I would add though that having Heath Miller in the line-up with a years experience under his belt should help our run game quite a bit. We're finally throwing to our TE's and we happen to have a very good one right now. The opposing D's will have to account for him, which should limit the amount of 08 man fronts we'll face. My only real concern other than DS's health is Willie's penchant for turning the ball over. I'm hoping they'll be working on this with him during camp.

clevestinks
06-01-2006, 04:01 PM
If, If , IF , IF

If we didn`t have to say IF Staley stays Healthy!

burgsville
06-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Arkie, NFL.com is always a useful resource for player/team stats.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302046

Haynes has fumbled 4 times in his whole career and failed to recover 3 of them.

He has 159 career carries, so that equated to a fumble every 40 carries.

If we compare him to a couple of backs we should get some context for those stats.

First up - an elite back.

Edgerrin James 2188 carries 33 fumbles which works out at a fumble every 66 carries.

Secondly, a career back-up who has a reputation for fumbling.

Kevin Faulk 607 carries and 21 fumbles which works out at a fumble every 29 carries.

As you can see, he is not the worst of performers for a back-up - but then he has had very little work to do in his career - a couple of fumbles early next year would bring his average plummeting down.

NMI would also like to thank you for the stats. I love all the Steelers , including Vernon. I was just making an observation which had been observed while watching my beloved Steelers . I never miss a game. He is tuff but if Duece can stay healthy he will be the man.

Livinginthe past
06-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I would also like to thank you for the stats. I love all the Steelers , including Vernon. I was just making an observation which had been observed while watching my beloved Steelers . I never miss a game. He is tuff but if Duece can stay healthy he will be the man.

No problem Burgs.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-01-2006, 05:37 PM
If, If , IF , IF

If we didn`t have to say IF Staley stays Healthy!

I hear ya brother. Hopefully with his "extended" rest this past season he will be able to step in this season and show us what he did in his first seven games in a Steeler uniform.

I.C. Lights
06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
The Stats that LITP posted are interesting. I admit that I have doubts about Duce, but I've always been a Haynes fan. I'm not a stats guy, but just from watching games, I've always had the impression that Haynes is also a clutch third down converter.

Any statisticians out there care to support or explode my theory?