PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Extend Lawrence Timmons 5 years $50 mil

SteelersTilIDie
08-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Per Adam Schefter on twitter the Steelers extended Lawrence Timmons' contract an extra five years for $50 million. This locks up Woodley and Timmons, the heart of our linebacking corps, until at least 2016. Big news.

Haha and on ESPN's headlines they said this:

JCPsteelers
08-23-2011, 07:24 AM
wow. cool. wonder what this means for Troy P though?

SteelersTilIDie
08-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Harrison and Roethlisberger restructured and Woodley's new deal took 4 million off the salary cap because he had the franchise tag of 10$ for this year before the new deal. Timmons was making something like 3 so this only really adds 2 million to the Steelers cap number, which is under the 120.4 ceiling now. I have a feeling they'll lock Troy up, I can't see him playing anywhere else.

steelfury02
08-23-2011, 07:41 AM
It means tag for Troy P and we might be seeing the end for one of the vets. If Steelers happen to win the Super Bowl - this might help get him signed more easily as I could see one or two guys retiring after a 3rd ring. Thoughts?

Steelers>NFL
08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
It means tag for Troy P and we might be seeing the end for one of the vets. If Steelers happen to win the Super Bowl - this might help get him signed more easily as I could see one or two guys retiring after a 3rd ring. Thoughts?
SB or not, I can see one or two retiring regardless next season. Farrior, A. Smith to name two. Maybe even Hoke.

theplatypus
08-23-2011, 08:35 AM

I could see Farrior, Foote, Ward, and Smith gone after this year. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to lose Kiesel,Hoke, and Hampton as well.

kirklandrules
08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
That's a great deal for a guy that was called a bust. Anyways, glad we have him locked in. Just hope they find another young guy to groom behind Farrior. I was hoping one of the new guys would show enough flash to make them dump Foote (Ivy?).

steelfury02
08-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Yea - why do I get the feeling Smith will be injured again? Didn't he have to sit out practice recently? Thought I read that somewhere. Anyways - its been proven we can win without him now. Ziggy deserves the chance for more reps if not the job.

Foote needs to go - time to get someone else more reps.

Until his replacement is worthy of usurping him - not ready to see Farrior go quite yet - the guy is still relevant. When you are battling newly resigned Timmons for a 100 tackles that is saying something. 109 tackles last year.

We'll see - still waiting for this "old" group to decline. If Troy is healthy age won't make one bit of a difference IMHO.

Overall - impressive performance from Steelers FO resigning Taylor, Woodley and Timmons while still being able to tag Troy for the future. People talk about not being able to keep teams together in the modern NFL, well the Steelers are the closest team to bucking that idea.

Never thought we would have had this group for this long - especially after SB 43 and even after the SB 45 loss. Great moves. I have faith it will pay off in another ring very soon . . .

Wallabeast17
08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I do think the steelers are going to try something to keep Aaron from getting injured. Which means more playing time for Ziggy and/or Heyward. I can see Smith being out on some drives etc. His playing time will be limited I believe, to keep him "frsh".

Curtain_of_Steel
08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Timmons is a great deal. As usual the FO protects the core.

Only way to keep smith from being injured is to cut him. Since he is already hurting whats the point to keep him.

I can't see how we need to carry a part time 5mill player. when do contracts become guarrantteed? I still would not be surprised to see Smith gone once they see how the DE's are shaping up.

MACH1
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
More wasted money that could of went to signing plex. :rolleyes:

theplatypus
08-23-2011, 11:16 AM

You;re an evil little ****er aren;t you? :toofunny:

sharkweek
08-23-2011, 12:05 PM

:chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
08-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I do think the steelers are going to try something to keep Aaron from getting injured..

Adjust his meds?:noidea:

Smith was great but his body has just broken down - i am amazed they did not at least have him take a haircut on his contract

Smith must have pictures of Tomlin and Colbert in very compromising positions

Fire Arians
08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
they did the smart thing, timmons is the future

pancake
08-23-2011, 01:22 PM
I still see Troy retiring from the Steel city. He might not get extended this year, but if we can't get a deal hammered out, then just place a tag on him.

MACH1
08-23-2011, 01:56 PM
You;re an evil little ****er aren;t you? :toofunny:

Who me. :angel:

steelfury02
08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
oh yea - I don't see them being able to make a 4th deal with Troy - they'll tag him and do the same thing they did with Woodley. Can't pay em all at the same time.

I only brought up a 3rd ring because I think that would quicken retirement for a few guys that were on the fence.

Who knows how Harrison will respond to his back surgeries too. He has about 2-3 solid seasons left.

If they win it all this year to me Farrior will retire along with Hines. Smith will too otherwise I see him being done anyways after this season.

Troy will not get a 6 year deal after the next two seasons, especially if he can't stay healthy. If he somehow stays healthy over the next two seasons he'll become the highest paid safety with about a 4 year contract. Just my opinion. Troy has even said that another Super Bowl ring might satisfy him as far as his career. He to me would be someone that could retire earlier than people may think.

So who are we looking at again? Foote, Smith, Hines and Farrior with Harrison and Troy having another 4-5 years max left in them?

steelfury02
08-23-2011, 02:47 PM
What about Kiesel and Hampton too? Especially after a 3rd ring?

pancake
08-23-2011, 03:18 PM
oh yea - I don't see them being able to make a 4th deal with Troy - they'll tag him and do the same thing they did with Woodley. Can't pay em all at the same time.

I only brought up a 3rd ring because I think that would quicken retirement for a few guys that were on the fence.

Who knows how Harrison will respond to his back surgeries too. He has about 2-3 solid seasons left.

If they win it all this year to me Farrior will retire along with Hines. Smith will too otherwise I see him being done anyways after this season.

Troy will not get a 6 year deal after the next two seasons, especially if he can't stay healthy. If he somehow stays healthy over the next two seasons he'll become the highest paid safety with about a 4 year contract. Just my opinion. Troy has even said that another Super Bowl ring might satisfy him as far as his career. He to me would be someone that could retire earlier than people may think.

So who are we looking at again? Foote, Smith, Hines and Farrior with Harrison and Troy having another 4-5 years max left in them?

I could see FO giving Troy a 6 year deal to spread out the money, but I know he probably wouldn't be here for all 6 years.

pancake
08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
What about Kiesel and Hampton too? Especially after a 3rd ring?

I see both of these guys hanging around at least one more year. We need Hampton one more year, to tudor the new NT that we draft next year.

cloppbeast
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I could see Farrior, Foote, Ward, and Smith gone after this year. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to lose Kiesel,Hoke, and Hampton as well.

If Ward gets to 10,000, he probably will retire.

Regardless of whether he retires or not, Aaron Smith will probably play his last season with the Steelers in 2011.

I hope Hampton doesn't leave. We have nobody to play NT without him!

Kiesel will play another couple seasons.

ricardisimo
08-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Tagging Troy would keep him from shopping his wares, but it wouldn't help with the cap if we're up against it. We'd be oblige to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position (I'm assuming the new CBA has this or a very similar formula in place... anybody know for sure?) If there's no room for his money, there's no room for his money. Why would we tag a guy we can't afford?

No, the only way to keep Troy (and I think we will) is big cuts and/or attrition at the end of the year. The names already tossed around here are likely targets.

pancake
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Tagging Troy would keep him from shopping his wares, but it wouldn't help with the cap if we're up against it. We'd be oblige to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position (I'm assuming the new CBA has this or a very similar formula in place... anybody know for sure?) If there's no room for his money, there's no room for his money. Why would we tag a guy we can't afford.

No, the only way to keep Troy (and I think we will) is big cuts and/or attrition at the end of the year. The names already tossed around here are likely targets.

I think there will be a big cap jump next year.

fer522
08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Adjust his meds?:noidea:

Smith was great but his body has just broken down - i am amazed they did not at least have him take a haircut on his contract

Smith must have pictures of Tomlin and Colbert in very compromising positions

that's what i was thinking too :chuckle:

Steelersfan87
08-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Tagging Troy would keep him from shopping his wares, but it wouldn't help with the cap if we're up against it. We'd be oblige to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position (I'm assuming the new CBA has this or a very similar formula in place... anybody know for sure?) If there's no room for his money, there's no room for his money. Why would we tag a guy we can't afford?

I think there will be a big cap jump next year.

This, plus they rarely actually allow players to play under the franchise tag. They franchise a player and then negotiate a new contract which is far more cap friendly. You know, like they did with Woodley this year. Polamalu's new contract will not force the Steelers to cut anybody more likely than not. I'm confident that it gets done before the start of next year's regular season. Until then, it really doesn't matter.

And what's with everybody wanting to run Aaron Smith out of town all of a sudden? It's not like they're going to sign a starting CB in the next two weeks, so what exactly do the Steelers benefit in 2011 by cutting him? He is the starting left defensive end of the best defense in the league, and rotating Ziggy Hood in and out on both the left and right side will help to keep both veterans fresh. If he does manage to get injured again, then it's not the end of the world since there's already a starter in waiting.

3rdandlong
08-23-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm not a salary cap expert, but I don't see how we will be able to sign Troy and then Mike Wallace next year. As painful as it is, someone has to go. I'd let Wallace go. He's one if the best deep threats in the game, but he hasn't shown himself to be a complete receiver, so far. Our receiving corps is so deep that I'm willing to take a haircut in that area. But if we let Wallace go, Hines could decide to retire since he would be entering his 14 season. That would make Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery the top three receivers.

Steelersfan87
08-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I doubt there will be a need for cuts. As was previously mentioned, the salary cap will be higher, and there will be more cap exemptions again next season as well, up to $1.5M I believe. Plus I do believe that there will be at least one retirement. Chris Hoke and Aaron Smith could very well be in their last seasons. The front office knows how to structure deals to make them cap friendly as well. If need be, there are others that did not restructure this year that can still clear more cap space next year.

Kingmagyar
08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I said it before I 'll say it again the Steelers did the smart thing signing Timmons because his franchise tag next year would have been for over 10 Million. Troy if he is franchised would get the average of the top 5 Safeties which would actually be paying him less then he would receive per year on a new deal. Considering his age and health this is the smart route to take.

Next year's cap will go up a bit but it will explode with the new TV contract coming a few years from now. Guys may seem to be getting a lot now but wait to you see the contracts after the new TV deal.

Nose Tackles play a long time in this league, don't look to see Hampton gone anytime soon, but the Steelers will have the money to keep the team together minus salaries like Aaron Smith, and Farrior.

The guy I would worry about the most is Mike Wallace. Not next year as he will be restricted but after that. If he played with a more accurate down field passer like Manning, or Brady this guy would be Randy Moss in his prime and with no attitude. He gets open every game, often. Ben and him have to work on getting in sync as they can be deadly this year.

LVSteelersfan
08-23-2011, 08:13 PM
There is no way on earth they will let Wallace get away. Are you kidding? He has the potential to be one of the top WRs in the NFL over the next few years. Get real. They will find a way to keep him on the team.

tanda10506
08-23-2011, 08:57 PM
I really like that we got Timmons and Woodley locked up. With Worilds and Sylvester having there whole careers ahead of them, the Steelers will carry on the tradition of having an excellent LB corps.With Ward, Smith, Farrior, Hampton, and Harrison so close to retirement, I think it's safe to say that at least one of them will retire at the end of the season, most likely 2. If we win the SB I would say most likely 3. That will free up room and the cap will go up. The FO will not let Wallace or Polamalu go. Wallace is probably our Ward of the future, I don't mean that in capability or style of play, but he will most likely be the face of our receiving corps.

DanRooney
08-23-2011, 10:29 PM
This was easily the best move of the offseason. He's our most versatile and athletic LBer and I guarantee you he'll eventually be the best ILB in the NFL. The media and some of you guys won't realize it though since he plays on the Steelers and they tend to think the greats on the defensive side of the ball play on shitty teams.

Timmons isn't the future or a future star. He' now. Rewatch every game this season. You can argue he played better than Patrick Willis (he absolutely did in the first six games of the season).

DanRooney
08-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I really like that we got Timmons and Woodley locked up. With Worilds and Sylvester having there whole careers ahead of them, the Steelers will carry on the tradition of having an excellent LB corps.With Ward, Smith, Farrior, Hampton, and Harrison so close to retirement, I think it's safe to say that at least one of them will retire at the end of the season, most likely 2. If we win the SB I would say most likely 3. That will free up room and the cap will go up. The FO will not let Wallace or Polamalu go. Wallace is probably our Ward of the future, I don't mean that in capability or style of play, but he will most likely be the face of our receiving corps.

Worilds has been shitting the bed.

Responding to the other posts, without a doubt Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke will be gone after this season. Hampton has 2-3 years left in him. Farrior should be gone but he'll continue to hinder the development of Sylvester for 2-3 seasons. Same goes with Ward in regards to Brown/Sanders. Hopefully we win this year so he'll retire.

dreegking
08-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Worilds has been shitting the bed.

Responding to the other posts, without a doubt Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke will be gone after this season. Hampton has 2-3 years left in him. Farrior should be gone but he'll continue to hinder the development of Sylvester for 2-3 seasons. Same goes with Ward in regards to Brown/Sanders. Hopefully we win this year so he'll retire.

You have a lot of sour opinions. I am all for moving forward and such - but you never seem to show any gratitude for a player's service. Especially, when it comes to world class players.

The young guys will get more time than the vets when they are actually better contributors. Get a grip.

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 09:14 AM
You have a lot of sour opinions. I am all for moving forward and such - but you never seem to show any gratitude for a player's service. Especially, when it comes to world class players.

The young guys will get more time than the vets when they are actually better contributors. Get a grip.

Not really sour. Just honest about the whole situation. I wouldn't put Rod Woodson on the field today just because he's one of the best players to ever wear our uniform or my favorite player of all time.

He might be an upgrade over Gay though tbh.

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 03:30 PM
There is no way on earth they will let Wallace get away. Are you kidding? He has the potential to be one of the top WRs in the NFL over the next few years. Get real. They will find a way to keep him on the team.
Hines Ward notwithstanding, all of our WRs move along after their rookie contract. Steelers don't seem to believe in paying them bank.

SteelersTilIDie
08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Burress and Santonio are douchebags though that's why they're gone...they also were a constant threat to be suspended so they weren't worth a $50 million investment

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Burress and Santonio are douchebags though that's why they're gone...they also were a constant threat to be suspended so they weren't worth a $50 million investment

After Burress' little presser following the NE playoff loss it seemed pretty clear to me he had a ****ed up attitude.

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Santonio's a stoner, like most everyone on this very board, I suspect. I'm not sure anyone here knows him well enough to call him a "douchebag". Seems more like sour grapes than an accurate assessment.