PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Wallace not happy?

soflasteeler
08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
In the Post gazette under timmons new contract polamalu waits, mike wallace stated that he wanted to play out the last year of his contract, that's the first time i ever heard someone say they would rather finish their contract than get a new one, considering he's had a decent season the last 2 years. He also stated that he wants to see if he has a good enough season to get a big contract no matter who offers it. To me that sounds like someone who does not want to be a steeler, maybe he's upset with the way the steelers uses him or because tomlin calls him a one trick pony. Or a little worried about Brown and Sanders and the fact that the steelers still brings in other veteran receivers for the crunch time. It's my first post and i know it's a long one, but just trying to get a feel for the "BEST FANS ON THE PLANET" . What do you all think about wallaces words.

Fire Arians
08-24-2011, 11:48 AM
i hope not. he should be grateful anyway that we gave him a chance after so many teams passed up drafting him. i certainly hope he doesnt develop the uber douchebag syndrome that most star WR's have

Sixburgher
08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I read the article and I'd say it's quite a leap to infer that he's unhappy with the Steelers from what he said:

"While Polamalu would not talk about his contract, Wallace said he hopes to have such a productive season that it will prompt a big contract for him next year, no matter who offers it.

"This is the last year of my contract. I kind of want to play it out.

"I'm not worried about that right now. I'm just trying to get back to the Super Bowl."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11236/1169372-66.stm

He's also a restricted free agent next year, and the Steelers can tender him high enough that if another team does express interest, it will cost them a first round pick to get him away from the Steelers.

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I would like to see a transcript of the whole interview before getting worried about him being unhappy or leaving. The fact hat it's not actually a quote from Wallace says that it's probably taken way out of context. It's also entirely possible that Wallace is deemed a cancer and the Steelers have no interest in retaining him. Who's going to be the mental midget that gives me shit for calling Wallace a cancer?

SH-Rock
08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I would also like to see the full transcript. The author said he wants a new contract by anyone who offers it, but Wallace points out that, that's not his main goal, it's getting back to the Super Bowl. If he becomes hardheaded then send him to the Jets, like every other star WR the Steelers had, but couldn't handle their big ego.

fer522
08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
those comments are gonna bite him in the ass if they're true
and not taken out of context

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Teams across the league will be jumping to grab him if he hits free agency. He's a DeSean Jackson clone who's a bit more durable. He might not be as polished a route runner, but he's only started one season. That stuff grows with time. And hey, his production last year was top 5 out of all WRs in the NFL. Love Wallace. Lock him up please.

Wallabeast17
08-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Teams across the league will be jumping to grab him if he hits free agency. He's a DeSean Jackson clone who's a bit more durable. He might not be as polished a route runner, but he's only started one season. That stuff grows with time. And hey, his production last year was top 5 out of all WRs in the NFL. Love Wallace. Lock him up please.

I agree!!:drink:

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I think some could agree that after this year we might be unloading a few guys anyways. Some harsh realities after this season. Time to climb that Stairway to Seven and send some guys out in style . . .

BIGNASTY91
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
I think some could agree that after this year we might be unloading a few guys anyways. Some harsh realities after this season. Time to climb that Stairway to Seven and send some guys out in style . . .

I couldnt agree more. This year may be the last chance for many of the veterans on this team, and they know that. Thats why i think they will let nothing stand in there way of #7! :tt03: :tt03:

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Perfect storm = Brady and Rodgers done for season. Neh - i'd like #7 to be the hardest path they've taken yet. That way there are no more excuses for the stickin Pats fans . . .

Question - how many rings will Ben have when he retires?

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 02:50 PM

He's going to play for at least 20 more years and he'll probably average one SB every other year so 12 total.

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 02:52 PM
He's going to play for at least 20 more years and he'll probably average one SB every other year so 12 total.

Yeah okay. :coffee:

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah okay. :coffee:

If you didn't catch the sarcasm in that post then you clearly rode the short bus to school.

OX1947
08-24-2011, 02:59 PM
He knows this could be his pro bowl, possible all pro type season. So playing it out and having a career year could mean more money.

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Awesome! He'll have to start requesting toe rings!

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 03:16 PM
If you didn't catch the sarcasm in that post then you clearly rode the short bus to school.

You weren't very sarcastic when you thought Tony Hills was more athletic than Pouncey :chuckle:

JCPsteelers
08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I can't blame Wallace for feeling that. The guy wants to perform and get paid, I can't get upset about that.

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 03:35 PM
You weren't very sarcastic when you thought Tony Hills was more athletic than Pouncey :chuckle:

I've got too give you credit. You're the first person I've ever come across that goes out of their way to prove how simple minded they really are. Kudos to you.

austinfrench76
08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Let me say 1st that I am a huige fan of his. He is very close to being considered an elite WR in the league. HOWEVER; if we can retain several players for the cost of 1 receiver, I say keep the many instead of the few. We have young - Brown and Sanders (Old - Ward, Cotchery, etc...). If there is 1 position that we have talent at it's WR.

Hell, go get a damn NFL LT, instead of these has beens/never were's!!!!

pete74
08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
if we have to lose him i would rather send him to oakland for a 1st round pick

Pittsburgh43
08-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Definitely gotta lock him up. We've spent a ton of money on our defensive playmakers, and of course, we still gotta get Troy extended. Now, it's time to get Ben's weapons signed long-term.

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2011, 05:17 PM

They paid Timmons and Woodley - where would the $$$ come from this year?

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 05:17 PM
He's not going to get a contract with the Steelers. He will cash out just like Yancey, Plaxico, Santonio, really everyone but Ward, who was always consistent for us but never really put up the sort of numbers to allow him to cash out. Wallace is gone after this year.

And we might not need him as badly as we need Woodley & Timmons. We'll see how Sanders, Brown, Cotchery and Grisham look by year's end.

Sixburgher
08-24-2011, 05:19 PM
He's not going to get a contract with the Steelers. He will cash out just like Yancey, Plaxico, Santonio, really everyone but Ward, who was always consistent for us but never really put up the sort of numbers to allow him to cash out. Wallace is gone after this year.

Hate to see him go, but wouldn't mind tendering him high enough as a RFA to get an extra first round pick out of the deal.

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2011, 05:24 PM

And we might not need him as badly as we need Woodley & Timmons. We'll see how Sanders, Brown, Cotchery and Grisham look by year's end.

QBs make receivers a lot more more than receivers make QBs - ask Larry Fitzgerald how life worked out without Warner

Between the quote about being the first receiver to gain 2000 yards and today's quote
Wallace is pretty self-confident for someone who did not exactly light up the playoffs

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Definitely gotta lock him up. We've spent a ton of money on our defensive playmakers, and of course, we still gotta get Troy extended. Now, it's time to get Ben's weapons signed long-term.

We could actually come out better in the long run if he walked. Don't get me wrong I would hate too see him leave, but sometimes the smart play isn't the obvious play. For instance lets say they put a 1st round tender on Wallace and we end up with a top 5 pick. That would give us a shot at one of the top left tackles or cornerbacks on the board. A shot we normally wouldn't have since we rarely finish that poorly. And we would still have Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery(?) which would still be a formidable receiving core.

Sixburgher
08-24-2011, 05:29 PM
We could actually come out better in the long run if he walked. Don't get me wrong I would hate too see him leave, but sometimes the smart play isn't the obvious play. For instance lets say they put a 1st round tender on Wallace and we end up with a top 5 pick. That would give us a shot at one of the top left tackles or cornerbacks on the board. A shot we normally wouldn't have since we rarely finish that poorly. And we would still have Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery(?) which would still be a formidable receiving core.

A legit, and very possibly elite left tackle as opposed to another human speed bump protecting Ben's blind side for a change would be worth it, in my opinion.

Steelersfan87
08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
I highly doubt anybody would bite on the highest tender for Wallace, especially considering the added value of first round picks now that there's a rookie wage scale in place. I also highly doubt a long-term deal does not get done by the start of the 2012 regular season.

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 05:36 PM
A legit, and very possibly elite left tackle as opposed to another human speed bump protecting Ben's blind side for a change would be worth it, in my opinion.

addition by subtraction

Sixburgher
08-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I highly doubt anybody would bite on the highest tender for Wallace, especially considering the added value of first round picks now that there's a rookie wage scale in place. I also highly doubt a long-term deal does not get done by the start of the 2012 regular season.

I could see Al Davis biting on a guy with Wallace's speed in a heartbeat. In reality, I do think the Steelers will ultimately lock him up.

pancake
08-24-2011, 05:38 PM
We will have Wallace at least 2 more years. We will give him a first year tender and then try to lock him up long term. If a longterm is not reached we will franchise him after year 2 and work between longterm and trade before season 3. If nothing is reached, then he will be gone.

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 05:49 PM
We will have Wallace at least 2 more years. We will give him a first year tender and then try to lock him up long term. If a longterm is not reached we will franchise him after year 2 and work between longterm and trade before season 3. If nothing is reached, then he will be gone.
I'm just not seeing it. Other than Ward, what star receiver have we ever resigned past their rookie contract? I think you'd have to go all the way back to Louis Lipps. At least I can't think of another one right off the top of my head.

pancake
08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm just not seeing it. Other than Ward, what star receiver have we ever resigned past their rookie contract? I think you'd have to go all the way back to Louis Lipps. At least I can't think of another one right off the top of my head.

What WR have we had that didn't suck or wasn't an idiot?

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 06:04 PM
What WR have we had that didn't suck or wasn't an idiot?
Like I said in the other thread, Santonio's a stoner, which is whatever... James Harrison beat the mother of his child and everyone here loves him. Trust me, he's more of an idiot or asshole or whatever other term you want to use than Holmes will ever be. And yet we kept one and not the other. You're fooling yourself if you think these were character judgments. The Steelers simply do not value WRs as highly as other positions, and probably wisely so.

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Like I said in the other thread, Santonio's a stoner, which is whatever... James Harrison beat the mother of his child and everyone here loves him. Trust me, he's more of an idiot or asshole or whatever other term you want to use than Holmes will ever be. And yet we kept one and not the other. You're fooling yourself if you think these were character judgments. The Steelers simply do not value WRs as highly as other positions, and probably wisely so.

That extends to the fan base as well - going back to Arrowhead Holmes, Lambert and peaking with the sociopathic Greg Lloyd the D has featured folks who just do not fit well in polite society but are adored

Since the 1970s defense has stirred the drink in Pittsburgh

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 06:41 PM

After LL and before Ward the closest thing we had to a star WR was probably Yancy Thigpen.

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Letting Mike Wallace walk isn't an option.

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 06:55 PM
They paid Timmons and Woodley - where would the $$$ come from this year?

Definitely can't sign him this year. But by next year Smith and Hoke should be retiring, Farrior and Ward probably have a 50/50 chance at retiring, Foote will be released, Battle will be gone, McFadden and Gay will be gone (thank God), and possibly more. That frees up a lot of cash to sign Troy and Wallace. Our team should look dramatically different.

ricardisimo
08-24-2011, 06:57 PM
After LL and before Ward the closest thing we had to a star WR was probably Yancy Thigpen.
And sure enough he walked as soon as he could. Oilers, right?

theplatypus
08-24-2011, 07:22 PM
And sure enough he walked as soon as he could. Oilers, right?

That is correct. I think he had all of 20 receiving yards in SB XXX.

BigRick
08-24-2011, 07:23 PM

I totally agree. Don't make a damn how good or fast a reciever is if the QB doesn't have a chance to deliver the ball. :tt03:

steelfury02
08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Ideal $$$ situation for Steelers is that Brown/Sanders/Cotchery take away a chunk of receptions from Wallace and his numbers go down to 900-1000 yards.

Fan wise I'd love to see the guy just maintain a 1200-1300 yard season and wait until after the contract to break 2000 yards lol.

ANYWAYS - we've lost top receivers before - it would add to that continuing trend but eh we have a knack for finding Steeler-worthy receivers.

If he continues with same production he to me deserves top 5 receiver pay. If he gets anywhere close to where he wants to be - he could become the highest paid receiver. The guy has that much potential.

MaidenIndiana
08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
I personally think that the team will find a way to resign Wallace. Yeah I know our history of re-signing top recievers isn't that great, but then I haven't seen any of these so called top recievers sign with another team and then exactly light it the **** up either.:tt03:

OX1947
08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Steelers let Holmes go, Hines has 2 years left and Brown is coming up as a perfect number 2 receiver. There is no way the Steelers aren't signing Mike Wallace. He is a all pro waiting to happen. And if Big Ben can stop over throwing to him, he will be scoring TDs left and right. the next 5 to 7 years. The guy is Chris Johnson on the wing. With the cap being at 120 million and probably going up next year, Steelers have plenty of money to maneuver.

Wallabeast17
08-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I for one hope he gets signed. He takes the top of the defense off and allows stuff underneath to open up! This, and how well we esablished that with him made a blue print and the ravens are trying to duplicate that with the draftting of Torrey Smith...

ETL
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
If any player on the Steelers wants to be the highest paid player in that position in the league - then there is a 99% chance that they will no longer be a Steeler.

Maybe Polamalu can earn the right to be the highest paid safety in the league but that's about it.

Being a Steeler means that you get paid well if you play well but you can easily get more somewhere else from another team. So why be a Steeler? Because, every year, you will have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Because you are surrounded by players who have also chosen to take less so that they have a chance to win. Because you are surrounded by players who do not value money as #1 but value team and winning as #1.

I am not saying that money is not important but if that is what you value most ... you don't fit in as a Steeler.

Mike Wallace ... play hard and make the Steelers pay you but if you think money is everything, they you have already lost.

mizzouristeeler
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
And I just bought my wallace jersey

tanda10506
08-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I think that if he does get an attitude like TO or Moss, not saying he will, that they will not keep him. We do usually let receivers go but we have to keep somebody sometime soon with Ward possibly retiring at the end of the year. I think Wallace is really good and the timing is perfect for him to become one of the few good receivers we keep, but if he get's over priced or a bad attitude we will not hang on to him.

Wallabeast17
08-24-2011, 10:50 PM
And I just bought my wallace jersey

Bought mine about this time last year..heres to hoping he gets signed :drink:

DanRooney
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I think that if he does get an attitude like TO or Moss, not saying he will, that they will not keep him. We do usually let receivers go but we have to keep somebody sometime soon with Ward possibly retiring at the end of the year. I think Wallace is really good and the timing is perfect for him to become one of the few good receivers we keep, but if he get's over priced or a bad attitude we will not hang on to him.

MY dream come true will be Ward retiring after this season (maybe becoming a WRs coach; he seems to love mentoring our younger wideouts) and having Brown line up opposite of Wallace with Sanders in the slot (fits the mold since he's more physical and can block very well). All that speed will be VERY difficult to stop. Cotchery would be a nice #4 as well.

madtowndrunkard
08-24-2011, 11:38 PM
In a strict business point of view...If I were Wallace's agent, I'd try to get him into a passing offense.

Put that guy on the Colts, Packers, Saints, etc and he's among the top 5 WR's in the league.... with that comes fame and a whole lotta $. He'll never get top $ playing for the steelers...nor will he put up the stats he's probably capable of.

Who knows if he's happy in Pittsburgh....I see no reason to think he's not. We are the one's who took a chance on him and made him the elite WR he is now. Plus the chance to win SB's is pretty good in Pittsburgh. But if he's the kind of player that thinks he needs to make as much $ as he possibly can...then I don't think that's in Pittsburgh. In which case he should play out his contract and go into FA.

The steelers will restrict him if he has a good season. So that brings up the possibility of a trade...or the release of some pretty prominent players on this team come next season. (Ward, Harrison, and Farrior are the first that come to mind) I can't see how we can afford to franchise Troy and lock up Wallace long term after all the extensions we just made.

soflasteeler
08-25-2011, 12:00 AM
I think all of you all's posts are great, but however like i originally stated, i'm not concerned about the steelers not making him a great offer, what i'm thinking, based on his comments is that he feels like he is not appreciated in pittsburgh, and the thought of him even suggesting that whoever offers the most money or his desire to play out his contract instead of receiving a new one is an option makes me think there is something here.

DanRooney
08-25-2011, 12:27 AM
In a strict business point of view...If I were Wallace's agent, I'd try to get him into a passing offense.

Put that guy on the Colts, Packers, Saints, etc and he's among the top 5 WR's in the league.... with that comes fame and a whole lotta $. He'll never get top $ playing for the steelers...nor will he put up the stats he's probably capable of.

He's already on the verge of being a top 5 WR. I'd say he's top 10 at worst right now (I actually have him at #7).

Steelersfan87
08-25-2011, 01:12 AM
I think all of you all's posts are great, but however like i originally stated, i'm not concerned about the steelers not making him a great offer, what i'm thinking, based on his comments is that he feels like he is not appreciated in pittsburgh, and the thought of him even suggesting that whoever offers the most money or his desire to play out his contract instead of receiving a new one is an option makes me think there is something here.

I think you're reading way too much in what were essentially passing comments.

steelfury02
08-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Anyone can say what they want about Ward being a great mentor but other than Randle El coming in and doing what he was asked to do - who exactly has Ward mentored well?

Let's define what a mentor is - if it is to help the young WRs with their routes/blocking assignments, overall understanding of their role then fine - he seems to be doing a good job.

If it is about the "Steeler way" then I don't buy it. Plax was on the same level as Ward - he wasn't under him learning from him. Aside from them posting 1000 yards together for a few seasons Plax was pretty vocal about wanting out of Pittsburgh and his attitude about practice/study room got him a one way ticket.

We all know "I'm going to celebrate every time I catch a first down pass" Santonio Holmes. The guy had troubles at college coming in. Ego trip from day 1 and the playoff run he had/SB MVP only made it worse. Plus his relationship with Mary Jane = Gone.

Sanders seems to have a good shoulder on his head but on the flip side he'll never get the chance to rise above #2.

Brown is pretty ****y and has already been in the doghouse for his show boating and study room habits. Its already been discussed that he hasn't learned the routes the way they have wanted him to up to this point. I'll give credit where credit is due. The guy had a kick return, a few clutch moments in the playoffs, and let's face it - a TD pass in the preseason. Great potential but let's calm down.

Wallace is the #1 receiver stat wise but it is pretty apparent that in the clutch he has yet to show up. That is the bottom line (yes it is only his 3rd year I know). The one-trick pony comment has already been explained - and Wallace has already joked about it. Tomlin is trying to motivate him and he is buying into the comment. I think the fact that there is this much reaction means something though - there has been a pattern. Can we please just not get into it about "the Steeler way" - that is bs.

Bottom line is that since Ben came to town - we've been pretty darn lucky as fans. With the winning has come some PR nightmares because of the personal choices of these guys - including Hines so enough already. You think Ben has a reputation around town? So does Bettis and Ward. I don't know the guys personally but just because they put on the black and gold doesn't mean they can't be a-holes and at the very least make some poor choices like every human on this planet. Let's not turn them into Gods - we love that they are on our team and if they leave we hate them.

What if they didn't show Holmes the door and gave him one last chance? What if he made a huge difference again and because of him we won this past Super Bowl. People wouldn't be commenting about him smoking up. Anyone remember people actually CHEERING him when he showed up at the court room for his drug incident? Yea - winning means everything - don't tell me otherwise.

Steelerfreak58
08-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Who wouldn't want to have a great year to get a big paycheck? He didn't say anything out of the ordinary. In this league its all about the money and getting a big pay day.

madtowndrunkard
08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Anyone can say what they want about Ward being a great mentor but other than Randle El coming in and doing what he was asked to do - who exactly has Ward mentored well?

Let's define what a mentor is - if it is to help the young WRs with their routes/blocking assignments, overall understanding of their role then fine - he seems to be doing a good job.

If it is about the "Steeler way" then I don't buy it. Plax was on the same level as Ward - he wasn't under him learning from him. Aside from them posting 1000 yards together for a few seasons Plax was pretty vocal about wanting out of Pittsburgh and his attitude about practice/study room got him a one way ticket.

We all know "I'm going to celebrate every time I catch a first down pass" Santonio Holmes. The guy had troubles at college coming in. Ego trip from day 1 and the playoff run he had/SB MVP only made it worse. Plus his relationship with Mary Jane = Gone.

Sanders seems to have a good shoulder on his head but on the flip side he'll never get the chance to rise above #2.

Brown is pretty ****y and has already been in the doghouse for his show boating and study room habits. Its already been discussed that he hasn't learned the routes the way they have wanted him to up to this point. I'll give credit where credit is due. The guy had a kick return, a few clutch moments in the playoffs, and let's face it - a TD pass in the preseason. Great potential but let's calm down.

Wallace is the #1 receiver stat wise but it is pretty apparent that in the clutch he has yet to show up. That is the bottom line (yes it is only his 3rd year I know). The one-trick pony comment has already been explained - and Wallace has already joked about it. Tomlin is trying to motivate him and he is buying into the comment. I think the fact that there is this much reaction means something though - there has been a pattern. Can we please just not get into it about "the Steeler way" - that is bs.

Bottom line is that since Ben came to town - we've been pretty darn lucky as fans. With the winning has come some PR nightmares because of the personal choices of these guys - including Hines so enough already. You think Ben has a reputation around town? So does Bettis and Ward. I don't know the guys personally but just because they put on the black and gold doesn't mean they can't be a-holes and at the very least make some poor choices like every human on this planet. Let's not turn them into Gods - we love that they are on our team and if they leave we hate them.

What if they didn't show Holmes the door and gave him one last chance? What if he made a huge difference again and because of him we won this past Super Bowl. People wouldn't be commenting about him smoking up. Anyone remember people actually CHEERING him when he showed up at the court room for his drug incident? Yea - winning means everything - don't tell me otherwise.

Being a mentor does not mean you are the team psychologist. No one is asking or expecting Hines to change questionable personalities into classy guys. Plax and Holmes have serious personal issues. Unless they wanted help, no one is going to help them change.

Ward is a mentor to everyone on that team. Young players look up to him. Ward spends time with young players teaching them the ropes and helping them become good players and teammates in the NFL. The way Ward conducts him self in practice and on game day is a shinning example of what you want from a player. The guy is tough as nails and never quits. Add in the fact that he actually spends time with the young players tells me he's a great mentor on the field. There are plenty of great players in the league that won't give the young players the time of day. Ward is not that guy. Hines Ward is the epitome of a Pittsburgh Steeler.

the only thing I hope Ward does, is re dedicate him self to having the best hands in the NFL. I think Ward has lost some focus the past season. He dropped more balls then I ever remembering him drop. I guess because he NEVER used to drop important passes if it was anywhere near him.... last year he had some crucial drops in games. I think Ward could improve that this year if he works at it. He won't get faster or stronger...but I think he can improve his hands with hard work and improved focus.

madtowndrunkard
08-25-2011, 12:02 PM
He's already on the verge of being a top 5 WR. I'd say he's top 10 at worst right now (I actually have him at #7).

I'm not talking about fantasy stats. I'm talking about top 10 WR in the NFL. I'm talking about a guy that will take over games on a regular basis...the guy that you always go to when you need that 1st down or TD. The guy that defenses can't stop.

I love Wallace as much as the next steeler fan but has not been a top 10 WR. He is a lethal deep threat w/ blazing speed and pretty good hands. He had 60 receptions last season. Is that even in the top 50 in the league last year? I think this is what Tomlin meant about him being a 1 trick pony. Wallace has been a complimentary WR.... not the guy your team leans on every drive. Wallace can become that guy. When he's more then just a HR hitter then he'll take that next step and get paid like it. He's definitely capable IMO. In our offense, with our QB, and our OC.... I think it will be very difficult for Wallace to take that next step to greatness.

So maybe I'm wrong.... put Wallace in Indy, NO, NE, or GB and he's a top 3 WR in the NFL...if not the best. In pittsburgh I don't see that happening. I especially don't see the steelers making Wallace one of the highest paid WR's in the league.

DanRooney
08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm not talking about fantasy stats. I'm talking about top 10 WR in the NFL. I'm talking about a guy that will take over games on a regular basis...the guy that you always go to when you need that 1st down or TD. The guy that defenses can't stop.

I love Wallace as much as the next steeler fan but has not been a top 10 WR. He is a lethal deep threat w/ blazing speed and pretty good hands. He had 60 receptions last season. Is that even in the top 50 in the league last year? I think this is what Tomlin meant about him being a 1 trick pony. Wallace has been a complimentary WR.... not the guy your team leans on every drive. Wallace can become that guy. When he's more then just a HR hitter then he'll take that next step and get paid like it. He's definitely capable IMO. In our offense, with our QB, and our OC.... I think it will be very difficult for Wallace to take that next step to greatness.

So maybe I'm wrong.... put Wallace in Indy, NO, NE, or GB and he's a top 3 WR in the NFL...if not the best. In pittsburgh I don't see that happening. I especially don't see the steelers making Wallace one of the highest paid WR's in the league.

Wallace was a 3rd round pick coming out of Ole Miss.Speed was the only thing you knew about him coming out of the draft .You can't expect him to take over games in his first year starting. He wasn't a Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson, who use their size and strength to beat double coverage. He wasn't a Hakeem Nicks (love him), who had incredible route running and amazing hands, or he wasn't Greg Jennings/Reggie Wayne, who have a blend of it all. He was more like the D. Jackson and Heyward-Bey type. And you're absolutely out of your mind if you say DeSean hasn't taken over games yet because two come to mind real quick.

Wallace a complimentary receiver? To who? Hines Ward? :rofl: And Santonio averaged about 60 receptions in his career in Pittsburgh. Hell he only broke 1,000 yards one time. Maybe if we had a better slot receiver lining up with Wallace; say an Emmanuel Sanders who would sometimes demand double coverage, Wallace wouldn't have that safety help over the top throughout the game. =more receptions+more targets.

Name 10 receivers better than Wallace. Calvin, Fitzgerald, White, Jennings, Wayne are the top five. I'd like you to list the next 5.

DanRooney
08-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Being a mentor does not mean you are the team psychologist. No one is asking or expecting Hines to change questionable personalities into classy guys. Plax and Holmes have serious personal issues. Unless they wanted help, no one is going to help them change.

Ward is a mentor to everyone on that team. Young players look up to him. Ward spends time with young players teaching them the ropes and helping them become good players and teammates in the NFL. The way Ward conducts him self in practice and on game day is a shinning example of what you want from a player. The guy is tough as nails and never quits. Add in the fact that he actually spends time with the young players tells me he's a great mentor on the field. There are plenty of great players in the league that won't give the young players the time of day. Ward is not that guy. Hines Ward is the epitome of a Pittsburgh Steeler.

the only thing I hope Ward does, is re dedicate him self to having the best hands in the NFL. I think Ward has lost some focus the past season. He dropped more balls then I ever remembering him drop. I guess because he NEVER used to drop important passes if it was anywhere near him.... last year he had some crucial drops in games. I think Ward could improve that this year if he works at it. He won't get faster or stronger...but I think he can improve his hands with hard work and improved focus.

Being a mentor is fine and all, but he can do that on the sideline with Kirby Wilson or sitting down on the bench a #5 receiver. Ward is too slow. God he's slow. I don't think I've saw him catch a pass last season where Ben didn't buy an extra 3 seconds for him to get open. When is the last time you saw Ward demand double coverage? I think DLmen are able to cover him in the flats by themselves at this point.

Loved him in 2000-2007, but it's about time to hand the job off to the younger guys.

ricardisimo
08-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Being a mentor is fine and all, but he can do that on the sideline with Kirby Wilson or sitting down on the bench a #5 receiver. Ward is too slow. God he's slow. I don't think I've saw him catch a pass last season where Ben didn't buy an extra 3 seconds for him to get open. When is the last time you saw Ward demand double coverage? I think DLmen are able to cover him in the flats by themselves at this point.

Loved him in 2000-2007, but it's about time to hand the job off to the younger guys.
Slow as molasses. And yet he still makes the catch most every time, he still had a 60% 1st down conversion rate, and he still had 12.8 per catch, substantially higher than Roddy White and Reggie Wayne, and higher even than Larry Fitzgerald. And unlike those guys he played four games last year without his starting QB.

And you want to get rid of him why again? :noidea:

pancake
08-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Definitely can't sign him this year. But by next year Smith and Hoke should be retiring, Farrior and Ward probably have a 50/50 chance at retiring, Foote will be released, Battle will be gone, McFadden and Gay will be gone (thank God), and possibly more. That frees up a lot of cash to sign Troy and Wallace. Our team should look dramatically different.

That and the fact that I think the cap will take a huge jump up next year.

DanRooney
08-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Slow as molasses. And yet he still makes the catch most every time, he still had a 60% 1st down conversion rate, and he still had 12.8 per catch, substantially higher than Roddy White and Reggie Wayne, and higher even than Larry Fitzgerald. And unlike those guys he played four games last year without his starting QB.

And you want to get rid of him why again? :noidea:

Yeah uh...Reggie Wayne had 111 receptions and nearly twice as many yards. Same goes for Roddy White.

ricardisimo
08-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah uh...Reggie Wayne had 111 receptions and nearly twice as many yards. Same goes for Roddy White.
Your point? White had nearly twice Wallace's receptions. Should we cut him too? Besides, Ward is of course the #2 WR here. His correlate in Atlanta had 41 receptions for 505 yards.

Let's hear the spin now...

DanRooney
08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Your point? White had nearly twice Wallace's receptions. Should we cut him too? Besides, Ward is of course the #2 WR here. His correlate in Atlanta had 41 receptions for 505 yards.

Let's hear the spin now...

Wallace had about double the yards and TDs as Ward as well. And his YPC was far beyond anyone's you mentioned.

And as for Atlanta's number two, you do realize that's the reason they gave their draft away for the next 3 years for Julio Jones.

Anymore stupid arguments? Comparing Ward to Reggie Wayne and Roddy White at this point of Ward's career is hilarious (speaking of them, I guess Ward's +0.8 YPC is 'substantially higher'...I figured that was a load of bullshit but I just checked and confirmed). If you think Ward is on the same level as Wayne or White you have no idea what's going on around the league.

The point is, Brown/Sanders are better options than Ward now. I know your butt still hurts about Willie Parker losing his job to Mendenhall but when you're on the decline, you shouldn't hinder someone else's development.

ricardisimo
08-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Wallace had about double the yards and TDs as Ward as well. And his YPC was far beyond anyone's you mentioned.

And as for Atlanta's number two, you do realize that's the reason they gave their draft away for the next 3 years for Julio Jones.

Anymore stupid arguments? Comparing Ward to Reggie Wayne and Roddy White at this point of Ward's career is hilarious. You're telling me you wouldn't trade Ward for either of those guys straight up? Brown/Sanders are better options than Ward. I know your butt still hurts about Willie Parker losing his job to Mendenhall but when you're done, you're done.
Huh? My butt still hurts over Willie Parker? :huh: Whatever, dude. Indy didn't sell the farm for a new wideout, and their #2 had pretty much Ward's numbers, with a much lower yards/catch. Would you care to wager whether either of these guys will blow Ward out of the water this year? Garcon or Jones, or both... take your pick. My guess is that Ward and Garcon will have more or less the same numbers as they had last year, and Jones will have a rookie's numbers. If he's very, very good, he'll have about what Wallace had his first season.

Probably a better reference, however, would be to figure out who the number two WR is on each team in the NFL and see where Ward ranks on that list. Comparing his receptions and total yards to #1s is pointless. It's like comparing a 3rd-down back's yards to Adrian Peterson's. But however many receptions Ward gets, he's doing more with them than many if not most of guys above him.

I find it difficult to believe that you're eager to dump Ward on the chance that Sanders or Brown can outperform him. They look great, don't get me wrong, but they should actually pass him before we begin discussing Ward's demise.

Oh, and as for this: "You're telling me you wouldn't trade Ward for either of those guys straight up?" The answer is - what kind of a retard are you?

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Huh? My butt still hurts over Willie Parker? :huh: Whatever, dude. Indy didn't sell the farm for a new wideout, and their #2 had pretty much Ward's numbers, with a much lower yards/catch. Would you care to wager whether either of these guys will blow Ward out of the water this year? Garcon or Jones, or both... take your pick. My guess is that Ward and Garcon will have more or less the same numbers as they had last year, and Jones will have a rookie's numbers. If he's very, very good, he'll have about what Wallace had his first season.

Probably a better reference, however, would be to figure out who the number two WR is on each team in the NFL and see where Ward ranks on that list. Comparing his receptions and total yards to #1s is pointless. It's like comparing a 3rd-down back's yards to Adrian Peterson's. But however many receptions Ward gets, he's doing more with them than many if not most of guys above him.

I find it difficult to believe that you're eager to dump Ward on the chance that Sanders or Brown can outperform him. They look great, don't get me wrong, but they should actually pass him before we begin discussing Ward's demise.

Oh, and as for this: "You're telling me you wouldn't trade Ward for either of those guys straight up?" The answer is - what kind of a retard are you?

I'm wondering if I'm arguing with a retard. Why didn't you compare them to a #2? Instead, you're sitting there comparing Ward's numbers with the likes of Andre Johnson. I'm sitting here thinking "is this guy ****ing delusional?"

Put Ward on the and he will struggle. Peyton will have the ball out in 3 seconds and Ward will still try to be 2 feet in front of the LoS covered by a 250 lb linebacker.

ricardisimo
08-26-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm wondering if I'm arguing with a retard. Why didn't you compare them to a #2? Instead, you're sitting there comparing Ward's numbers with the likes of Andre Johnson. I'm sitting here thinking "is this guy ****ing delusional?"

Put Ward on the and he will struggle. Peyton will have the ball out in 3 seconds and Ward will still try to be 2 feet in front of the LoS covered by a 250 lb linebacker.
His yards/catch is better than many of the much younger, faster #1 receivers listed ahead of him in last year's stats. That's impressive. That's why I mentioned those guys. And yet you want to cut him. That's retarded.

Do you have any stop signs in your brain when you're posting here?

ggoldman
08-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Wallace wont leave hes too high character for this team to let him go. Also, he never whines for the ball.

ricardisimo
08-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Wallace wont leave hes too high character for this team to let him go. Also, he never whines for the ball.
And he's a fantastic receiver, which trumps everything else... and yet it won't matter one bit. He's gone after this year.

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 03:30 AM
His yards/catch is better than many of the much younger, faster #1 receivers listed ahead of him in last year's stats. That's impressive. That's why I mentioned those guys. And yet you want to cut him. That's retarded.

Do you have any stop signs in your brain when you're posting here?

Not when he has half the receptions, half the yards and half the TDs of those younger faster receivers. Obviously, you it's not likely you'll have a better YPC when you have double the receptions of the other player.

Where did I say I wanted to cut him? Obviously can't read as well. I said he should be playing behind Brown. I've said this repeatedly. Brown is not a rookie and looks ready. That doesn't mean cut Ward. But if he retires, I won't lose any sleep over it.

You criticize one of our best players in Mike Wallace and defend guys who have lost about 3 or 4 steps in Ward and Farrior. Makes no sense whatsoever.

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 03:33 AM
And he's a fantastic receiver, which trumps everything else... and yet it won't matter one bit. He's gone after this year.

A fantastic receiver? 6 posts ago he was a one-trick pony not in the top 10 :chuckle:

ricardisimo
08-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Not when he has half the receptions, half the yards and half the TDs of those younger faster receivers. Obviously, you it's not likely you'll have a better YPC when you have double the receptions of the other player.

Where did I say I wanted to cut him? Obviously can't read as well. I said he should be playing behind Brown. I've said this repeatedly. Brown is not a rookie and looks ready. That doesn't mean cut Ward. But if he retires, I won't lose any sleep over it.

You criticize one of our best players in Mike Wallace and defend guys who have lost about 3 or 4 steps in Ward and Farrior. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Actually, what you said was that you wanted him on the sidelines next to Kirby Wilson, AKA, off of the active roster, whether that be retired, cut or otherwise. When, exactly, did I criticize Mike Wallace?
A fantastic receiver? 6 posts ago he was a one-trick pony not in the top 10 :chuckle:
Ummm.... do you pay attention when you post, or are you just trolling? :huh:

Steelerindc
08-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Perfect storm = Brady and Rodgers done for season. Neh - i'd like #7 to be the hardest path they've taken yet. That way there are no more excuses for the stickin Pats fans . . .

I think Ben will end his career with 3 rings, he should be a first Ballot HOF but won't b/c of the off field issues and people just don't see him the way the A. Rogers, D. Bress and even that guy in San Diego.

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Actually, what you said was that you wanted him on the sidelines next to Kirby Wilson, AKA, off of the active roster, whether that be retired, cut or otherwise. When, exactly, did I criticize Mike Wallace?

Ummm.... do you pay attention when you post, or are you just trolling? :huh:

I said you can mentor from the sideline, since you kept bringing up mentoring like it was a factor in being a good WR. :thumbsup:

And you did say he was a one-trick pony. And not a top 10 receiver. He's a top 5 statistically btw. But "those are just fantasy stats."

ricardisimo
08-26-2011, 12:04 PM
You're delusional. Go back and find where I used the word "mentor"... anywhere, not just this thread. Go back and find where I was talking about fantasy stats... anywhere, not just this thread (besides asking you what the hell you're talking about, obviously.) Where did I call Wallace a one-trick pony?

You're having comprehension and continuity issues. Also, my guess is that everyone who disagrees with you (most of humanity, it seems) gets blended together into one person in your mind. Must make sending out Christmas cards tough... or maybe it's easier that way.

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ricardisimohttp://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
hines ward is a good mentor and a terrific dancer...

i found it ...:chuckle:

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Still haven't told me what you're trying to prove. Just arguing to argue. Keep on trucking. I mean trolling.

Fire Arians
08-26-2011, 12:37 PM
they're keeping hines to teach mike wallace some dance moves for his celebrations. until he has a cool celebration dance, he's not a complete receiever

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 12:49 PM
they're keeping hines to teach mike wallace some dance moves for his celebrations. until he has a cool celebration dance, he's not a complete receiever

:drink:

ricardisimo
08-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Still haven't told me what you're trying to prove. Just arguing to argue. Keep on trucking. I mean trolling.
[eyes rolling into back of head]

Whatever. Just a bit of free advice: figure out how to express your opinions as just that - opinion. Otherwise you're just a loudmouth troll, like our dearly departed thumper.

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
[eyes rolling into back of head]

Whatever. Just a bit of free advice: figure out how to express your opinions as just that - opinion. Otherwise you're just a loudmouth troll, like our dearly departed thumper.

Another useless post. :thumbsup:

Still arguing for the sake of attention?

Avoid-Lloyd
08-26-2011, 09:00 PM
It's hard to compare Ward to other teams number 2 WRs because he is paid like a number 1. Until he takes a pay cut, I say it's fair to compare him to other teams number 1. If it comes down to keeping Ward or signing Wallace, I say cut Ward. That said, I think this is probably Ward's last season along with some other high-paid vets so we should have the money to sign Wallace so we should be fine.

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
It's hard to compare Ward to other teams number 2 WRs because he is paid like a number 1. Until he takes a pay cut, I say it's fair to compare him to other teams number 1. If it comes down to keeping Ward or signing Wallace, I say cut Ward. That said, I think this is probably Ward's last season along with some other high-paid vets so we should have the money to sign Wallace so we should be fine.

Absolutely.

Ward would have probably been out of the league 2 years ago without a QB like Ben.

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2011, 10:44 PM
hines is going to make 4.6 mill this season...

larry fitzgerald - 20.2
vincent jackson - 11.9
calvin johnson - 12.6
miles austin - 8.5
steve smith - 8.5
brandon marshal - 10.6
lee evans 4.8
anquan boldin -6
andre johnson - 8.8
reggie wayne - 8
greg jennings 6.5
donald driver - 5.6
roddy white - 6.5
micheal crabtree - 5.3
justin guage - 4.6
colston - 4.6

ricardisimo
08-27-2011, 05:26 AM

larry fitzgerald - 20.2
vincent jackson - 11.9
calvin johnson - 12.6
miles austin - 8.5
steve smith - 8.5
brandon marshal - 10.6
lee evans 4.8
anquan boldin -6
andre johnson - 8.8
reggie wayne - 8
greg jennings 6.5
donald driver - 5.6
roddy white - 6.5
micheal crabtree - 5.3
justin guage - 4.6
colston - 4.6
Now you're just making arguments for the sake of making arguments, MoP. :troll:

steeltheone
08-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Absolutely.

Ward would have probably been out of the league 2 years ago without a QB like Ben.

Thats unfair....Many teams employee less that stellar wideouts that only look good because of a gunslinger QB.....We have 2 or 3 now that look good, but is it BR7 or them?

Avoid-Lloyd
08-27-2011, 12:47 PM

larry fitzgerald - 20.2
vincent jackson - 11.9
calvin johnson - 12.6
miles austin - 8.5
steve smith - 8.5
brandon marshal - 10.6
lee evans 4.8
anquan boldin -6
andre johnson - 8.8
reggie wayne - 8
greg jennings 6.5
donald driver - 5.6
roddy white - 6.5
micheal crabtree - 5.3
justin guage - 4.6
colston - 4.6

Most of the receivers on that list had a better year than Ward did last season also and deserve to make more. I could create a list of receiver that had a far better year than Ward had that make far less. Judging by that list it would appear that Ward does make #1 receiver money but seeing that a lot of those players more than double Ward's numbers than they should more than double his pay.

However I do like Ward and don't think he should be cut. I want him to retire a Steeler. I just wish he didn't make as much. It doesn't really matter because he will retire after we win number 7 this year.

zsheik22
08-27-2011, 12:59 PM
QBs make receivers a lot more more than receivers make QBs - ask Larry Fitzgerald how life worked out without Warner

Between the quote about being the first receiver to gain 2000 yards and today's quote
Wallace is pretty self-confident for someone who did not exactly light up the playoffs

Your theory might be true sometimes, but it's definitely not an absolute. Larry Fitz is proof of that. You even know he broke 1100 yards last season? (More yards than he had in 2009 w/ Warner)

Oh, he also only started 15 games... not 16 like he did in 2009.

rocckbottomxmen
08-27-2011, 01:08 PM
:drink:

lol....lol...lol...

Steelersfan87
08-27-2011, 01:54 PM
In fairness to Hines Ward, he did have 95 receptions with 1,167 yards and 6 TDs in 2009, and in 2010 he was battling an injured thumb for almost the entire season. I expect his 2011 numbers to fall somewhere in between the last two years.

ricardisimo
08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
$4.6M is a steal for a guy who produces as consistently as Hines, and no matter who's been throwing to him over the years.

zsheik22
08-27-2011, 06:00 PM
He's gone... We have people like Al Davis and Snyder to blame. They want to offer run of the mill position 15 million a year and then everyone wants that kind of money.

Pretty soon teams will have 4 players you know and the rest will be from the practice squad because it's all they can afford.

Third Rail
08-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I hope he sticks with us but I think it's a bit of a concern how he's been virtually invisible all preseason. Perhaps it's just that he's being covered so well (which has allowed Brown to emerge as such a threat). Still, I try not to read too much into the preseason stuff... perhaps they are just trying to gauge how well other receivers fit into their schemes because they already know what Wallace is capable of.

That seems unlikely though, since our O-Line play is still so awful that Ben often has to throw to whoever he can.

TRH
08-28-2011, 10:01 AM
i hope not. he should be grateful anyway that we gave him a chance after so many teams passed up drafting him. i certainly hope he doesnt develop the uber douchebag syndrome that most star WR's have

AGREED!
He seemed so down-to-earth last year when he would be talked to or interviewed and its certainly possible he could be coming down with "big-head, holier-than-thou" disease. God, i hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Third Rail
08-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Come on guys, let's not start the "kick him to the curb" talk already. People did that when we had Santonio too and fine, 'Tone was a grade-A douche, but he also was a great player who was integral to winning a Super Bowl (and getting there in the first place).

Wallace was great for us the past two seasons and hopefully he'll be even better this year.

ricardisimo
08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
When was Santonio Holmes ever a douche? Where do you people get this shit. He's a stoner, like more than half of you, I'm sure. He's a showboater, but so what? I swear, the judgment that fills these boards up is just overwhelming.

steelfury02
08-29-2011, 04:04 PM
let's see

- Holmes grew up dealing drugs
- He continued to take drugs up until at least 2009
- He has been accused of battery/abuse against women (in public no less)

But I'm guessing none of it is true because he was a Steeler.

Just like Ben is a changed man because he all of a sudden found God and is married. I grew up down the road from his wife who even dated a friend of mine. I know locals from my hometown that helped with their wedding and believe me they all said they are both d-bags

Is there a reason to defend these guys personal lives because they are Steelers? If Ben got traded to the Black Hole because of his choices I wouldn't see so many people defending him. But - he is in the black and gold so no one can "judge"

If it looks like crap, smells like crap, probably is crap. There is no other argument to be made.

austinfrench76
08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Now back to the Thread-Line:

Wallace should be mad...at himself. It's on the receiver when you have a QB like Ben. Come back and get the ball. Maybe he is being doube teamed, so wait until we go 4 wide and Sanders is out there. They can't cover everyone! Ward, Wallace, Sanders adn Brown will be amazing, throw in Cotchery for some 5 WR action??? Boom!

ricardisimo
08-29-2011, 04:15 PM
I guess I just take a different view of the drug usage. Teenagers do stupid shit, and I strongly suspect he's no longer selling drugs. The battery accusations somehow slipped past me. Are you talking about the thrown-drink incident at the nightclub, fighting over the empty seat or whatever that was?

You bring up Ben, and really, that's a better example. I think at this point it's pretty clear that Ben is an asshole and a douchebag, but he's still on the team, so let's criticize Holmes instead. James Harrison is an actual batterer. Ward is possibly a drunk driver, which I actually frown upon much more strongly than smoking out with your buds somewhere.

I'm already noticing Wallace starting to get snippy with his teammates about not getting the ball enough. Let's see how long until he pulls a full-on Terrell Owens/Keyshawn Johnson.

Atlanta Dan
08-29-2011, 04:29 PM
James Harrison is an actual batterer.

Holmes majors in pot smoking, but as an indication of what a well rounded fellow he is Holmes has those allegations on his curriculum vitae as well

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06339/743562-66.stm

The guy was a jerk at Ohio State, while he was with the Steelers, and probably has continued to be so - I agree that he is not the only Steeler who fits that description but that does not change what he is

I root for laundry, and do not think it makes the guys wearing it good folks - it is great if you actually have someone admirable like Polamalu wear the uniform but if not so be it

ricardisimo
08-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Holmes majors in pot smoking, but as an indication of what a well rounded fellow he is Holmes has those allegations on his curriculum vitae as well

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06339/743562-66.stm

The guy was a jerk in college, while he was with the Steelers, and probably has continued to be so - I agree that he is not the only Steeler who fits that description but that does not change what he is

I root for laundry
I stand corrected. Didn't hear about this when it happened or wasn't paying attention. Domestic abuse definitely puts you in the slimeball category.