PDA

View Full Version : Super Star in the Making, Antonio Brown

3rdandlong
08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
I don't think I need to tell you how well Antonio Brown played. It looks like he may even be better than Wallace. Wallace is a one trick pony. I don't see him making the underneath passes that Brown makes. I think we have something really special in Brown. God, Cokbert and the front office draft great talent! The regular season will tell how good Brown is. I am really looking forward to it!

mizzouristeeler
08-28-2011, 12:58 AM
He did have a great game but the best part was the celebration dance

SteelCurtain0815
08-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Not too jump the gun too quickly, but I honestly think this could be the greatest group of WRs this franchise has ever witnessed. I can't wait for the regular season to start with Sanders back in the lineup. This offense is straight lethal! Not too mention BR looks like a complete new QB. He is making all the right reads and getting rid of the ball quickly. It's going to be extremely difficult for teams to match up with our weapons. If we can sustain a decent running attack, no one is stopping us. Idk if I have ever been more excited for a new season to start. Ya dig?

ricardisimo
08-28-2011, 02:48 AM
Not too jump the gun too quickly, but I honestly think this could be the greatest group of WRs this franchise has ever witnessed. I can't wait for the regular season to start with Sanders back in the lineup. This offense is straight lethal! Not too mention BR looks like a complete new QB. He is making all the right reads and getting rid of the ball quickly. It's going to be extremely difficult for teams to match up with our weapons. If we can sustain a decent running attack, no one is stopping us. Idk if I have ever been more excited for a new season to start. Ya dig?
It would help if we had a line. And yes, you're getting a little ahead of yourself, but that's cool. It's nice to imagine the possibilities.
:tt03:

pete74
08-28-2011, 05:13 AM
i was in my front row seat at the game watching him and he tore it up. he is going to be a great one. the only downfall is our running game looks horrible

Want1MoreSB
08-28-2011, 07:12 AM
I don't think I need to tell you how well Antonio Brown played. It looks like he may even be better than Wallace. Wallace is a one trick pony. I don't see him making the underneath passes that Brown makes. I think we have something really special in Brown. God, Cokbert and the front office draft great talent! The regular season will tell how good Brown is. I am really looking forward to it!

I am also excited at the prospect of another great WR in the making. I wish we had one or two great DBs in the making as well.

steelfury02
08-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Not to knock the importance of a running game - but you can win it all with a mediocre running game. I'll reserve judgement after the Ravens game because let's face it - no one is running in that game. I'll take dump offs to Redman (and Johnson for that matter - what a nice breath of fresh air that was seeing him take a couple of nice plays) all day if it gets us the chunks.

I really think that even if you are able to run it to the point that you can sell the play action you can pull it off.

55BaileyFan
08-28-2011, 07:57 AM
i was in my front row seat at the game watching him and he tore it up. he is going to be a great one. the only downfall is our running game looks horrible

I think Brown will be amazing too.

I think the running game looks terrible because they are not running enough with the starters. The offense needs to gel and they need to give Mendenhall and Redman time to feel out the line while running. Last night the running backs too often where not waiting for the play to develop and getting nailed.

Arians (douche bag) needs to run more so that they can get used to each other or else we are going to go through growing pains early in the season.

ETL
08-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Just watched last years Ravens playoff game and Sanders was awesome! Dont forget how good he is just because you haven't seen him recently.

SoCalFan
08-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Man he looks good,BUT I didnt care for the dance!Is he a diva in the making?Hopefully his ego doesnt get as big as his game!

55BaileyFan
08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Man he looks good,BUT I didnt care for the dance!Is he a diva in the making?Hopefully his ego doesnt get as big as his game!

Agreed.

I was extremely disappointed in the excessive dancing. I am okay with a celebration but don't go overboard.

ETL
08-28-2011, 09:36 AM
His celebration is no different than the preening that out defensive players do after a sack. He will be fine. As he gets more and more used to the endzone he will probably tone it down.

pete74
08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
I think Brown will be amazing too.

I think the running game looks terrible because they are not running enough with the starters. The offense needs to gel and they need to give Mendenhall and Redman time to feel out the line while running. Last night the running backs too often where not waiting for the play to develop and getting nailed.

Arians (douche bag) needs to run more so that they can get used to each other or else we are going to go through growing pains early in the season.

I agree but Mendy had something like 8 yards on 8 runs and with him running like that you can't afford to stick with it unless you want to punt alot

Pentheon
08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
hes a monster, hes this good already and only in his second year, he got great hands, great speed, and hopefully will only get better.

Keeps it up hes gonna be a star

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2011, 11:41 AM
i got a kick out of this post on the ratbirds forum...

Its Sunday, go pray for more Steeler injuries. That's the Ravens only hope on 9/11-11.

Ravens are still working things out, including that o-line. The Steelers look like they're in mid-season form. With a rookie LT starting. Superior FO, coaching and players.

Add Antonio Brown to your list of nightmares. There is no one on your roster who can cover him one on one. Leaving bums to cover Wallace, Ward and Cotchery. Not to mention Sanders.

Ozzie will sign at least two corners after the cutdown. Acknowledging his fear of the Steelers offense. Your roster will be fluid as hell after Sept 4. Ozzie is Oscar from Sesame Street. Scouring for trash. The Ravens are bums. :toofunny:

Deserei90
08-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Its Sunday, go pray for more Steeler injuries?

They cannot be serious with that comment. Those idiots would say anything just to beat The Steelers. Disgusting!:doh:

Wallace17
08-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Loving Young money. Not loving mendenhall have never liked him or his stupid spin move. Bring back willie j/k. I would rather give redman the keys. He looks good and wants it bad.

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I am very excited by Brown's development - his upside hopefully will result in the Steelers including him in a trade package that the Jets will find attractive enough to trade Burress back to the Steelers

DanRooney
08-28-2011, 01:12 PM
I love it when I'm right. Glad everyone else is starting to see why he should be ahead of Ward on the depth chart.

DanRooney
08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
And complete nonsense about him being better than Wallace. That one trick pony phrase that you guys seemed to bandwagon on is about as true as William Gay being a good nickel corner.

DanRooney
08-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I am very excited by Brown's development - his upside hopefully will result in the Steelers including him in a trade package that the Jets will find attractive enough to trade Burress back to the Steelers

lmao. +1000000000

GMU Steeler
08-28-2011, 01:34 PM
He's a good a return man too. I know that won't show as much this year with the new rules but Antonio has that as a nice part of his game as well. I love the depth we have at the position: Ward-Wallace-Cotchery-Sanders-Brown. Still in awa about the great catch he made against the Ravens on 3rd and 19. That was a great moment.

vball
08-28-2011, 03:16 PM
barring injury, when will j. cotchery play? since arnez battle is a special teamer and can also play the 5th wr, will j. C make the roster?

tanda10506
08-28-2011, 03:31 PM
The way Brown is playing and the way I know Cotchery will contribute, we might have the best or at least a top 3 passing team. The only problem is the line, I know it's preseason but the O line just gets bitch slapped on almost every play. The Falcons aren't the least bit known for defense and our O line let someone in at Ben almost every play in the first half. It's worse then I remember. Seems like they can't run block either. If the line will just play mediocre this offense will be great!

sharkweek
08-28-2011, 05:40 PM
barring injury, when will j. cotchery play? since arnez battle is a special teamer and can also play the 5th wr, will j. C make the roster?

teams usually go with at least 6 WRs on the final roster, for the plays when you go 5 wide, having only 5WRs with no backups is kind of dumb :flap:

Fire Arians
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
i haven't seen a more talented group of WR on the steelers roster in maybe ever. don't be surprised if ben throws for 40 td's this year lol.

Merchant
08-28-2011, 06:32 PM
It's preseason.. You guys need to chill lol. I'm all for optimism, but let's not declare him the second-coming of Jerry Rice here. It's dumb to call Brown better than Wallace at this point.. Wallace was arguably the best deep-threat in the game last season.

Fire Arians
08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
It's preseason.. You guys need to chill lol. I'm all for optimism, but let's not declare him the second-coming of Jerry Rice here. It's dumb to call Brown better than Wallace at this point.. Wallace was arguably the best deep-threat in the game last season.

Brown has been torching 1st-string defenses, and it seemed like nobody in atlanta's secondary would have caught him if he had to run for 500 more yards. the amount of talent this guy has is undeniable. the fact he's put in the work to learn the offense will make him very dangerous this year.

wallace is still that guy. but i'm thinking brown has done enough to win the #3 spot from sanders as of now. if he continues on like this during the regular season, we might see him overtake hines ward as the #2.

what I'm excited to see, is the battle between him and sanders continue. Those two competed against each other all year to earn playing time, and that's one reason why I think both have came so far.

austinfrench76
08-28-2011, 08:07 PM
The running game is suffering because the line was brand new and had never played together. If you think about it, last night we started a rookie at LT, and Hills(a tackle) at RG. And the O still kicked ass. In the passing game BB can make plays even if the OLine doesn't protect, not so much in the running game.

I'm not going to under or over react. Brown looks great and I will leave it at that but I believe that the running game will be fine. We have to allow the line some time to gel. That's straight coach speak!

fer522
08-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Wallace who? :chuckle:

vball
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
teams usually go with at least 6 WRs on the final roster, for the plays when you go 5 wide, having only 5WRs with no backups is kind of dumb :flap:

that is true but i don't remember the last time the had 5WR on the field. For the times they did spread it out, I just remember Heath M. being the 5th guy and that was good enough for me.

i don't think cotchery will see the field much if nobody is hurt.

tanda10506
08-28-2011, 09:32 PM
i don't think cotchery will see the field much if nobody is hurt.

I don't think Cotchery will be the #5 receiver. Now my opinion of how the receivers should be on the depth chart, but how I think it will actually be will be #1 Ward, #2 Wallace, #3 Brown, #4 Cotchery, #5 Sanders. That's not saying who is better or who will contribute more this year, but I think that's how the depth chart will be. Cotchery is one of the only free agents that we have got in a while, we didn't get him to sit on the bench. Also, regardless of how the depth chart is set up, I think we will mix up who is on the field quite a bit, keeping everybody fresh and keeping opposing defenses mixed up. Ward is always finding a way to get open on 3rd, Wallace is extremely fast and getting good with his routes, Brown and Sanders will be playing excellent this season, and Cotchery is a veteran who always finds holes and gets the YAC, no reason we don't mix it up all the time. The O line just needs to step up.

SteelCurtain0815
08-29-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't think Cotchery will be the #5 receiver. Now my opinion of how the receivers should be on the depth chart, but how I think it will actually be will be #1 Ward, #2 Wallace, #3 Brown, #4 Cotchery, #5 Sanders. That's not saying who is better or who will contribute more this year, but I think that's how the depth chart will be. Cotchery is one of the only free agents that we have got in a while, we didn't get him to sit on the bench. Also, regardless of how the depth chart is set up, I think we will mix up who is on the field quite a bit, keeping everybody fresh and keeping opposing defenses mixed up. Ward is always finding a way to get open on 3rd, Wallace is extremely fast and getting good with his routes, Brown and Sanders will be playing excellent this season, and Cotchery is a veteran who always finds holes and gets the YAC, no reason we don't mix it up all the time. The O line just needs to step up.

I've gotta disagree with you on your depth chart. I think the depth chart will look something like this: Wallace and Hines as the two starting WRs on gameday, with Sanders and Brown getting the same amount of playing time as Hines. I don't believe this team has a number 1 or a number 2, which is a great problem to have imo. We have 4 weapons at the WR spot who can all get open. I would not be surprised to see Brown or Sanders, or perhaps both, put up better numbers than Hines this year. I really don't see a lot of playing time from Cotchery unless one of those 4 goes down.

PhantomJB93
08-29-2011, 04:05 PM
It's funny, because now that the offense looks like it could the best one we've had in years, the defense looks like it might be ready for a downfall (I'm not saying they'll be awful but with Harrison and Polamlu's health in question and the already spotty secondary, I'm not expecting a repeat of last year's defensive production)

ricardisimo
08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
I love it when I'm right. Glad everyone else is starting to see why he should be ahead of Ward on the depth chart.
You mean you're not always right? I'm also glad everyone can read these preseason stats and see how Battle should be our #2 WR. Cut Ward and Wallace already. Bums.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2011, 04:59 PM
You mean you're not always right? I'm also glad everyone can read these preseason stats and see how Battle should be our #2 WR. Cut Ward and Wallace already. Bums.
yeah like that;ll happen !!! go away you troll !!! :sofunny:

Fire Arians
08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
It's funny, because now that the offense looks like it could the best one we've had in years, the defense looks like it might be ready for a downfall (I'm not saying they'll be awful but with Harrison and Polamlu's health in question and the already spotty secondary, I'm not expecting a repeat of last year's defensive production)

i think even without troy our defense is still above average. if our offense can light up the scoreboard, they might not have to be the best. being good enough might just do it this year of course if these preseason flashes are any indicator of how good they'll be during the reg. season

also i think we have some good young talent in the secondary. but for some reason we want to start mcfadden as #2 who is our 2nd worst cover corner only to william gay, who i have no idea why he's still on the team. maybe lebeau is gay for him or something

Atlanta Dan
08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
i think even without troy our defense is still above average. if our offense can light up the scoreboard, they might not have to be the best. being good enough might just do it this year of course if these preseason flashes are any indicator of how good they'll be during the reg. season

Could be like the last 1979 championship for the 70s Steelers- aging 70s defense was clearly in decline but the passing offense with Swann & Stallworth was peaking

tanda10506
08-29-2011, 07:09 PM
I think it's possible that the offense will be top 3 but the defense will still be the strong point. Our defense is not in decline at all and we got young guys right behind these veterans. The defense will be top 3 also, the kind of play your seeing in the preseason is completely irrelevant to how the defense will actually play this year. Have some faith in the D!!!!

DanRooney
08-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Anyone who thinks that Hines Ward is the no. 1 receiver clearly doesnt know what's going on with the team. He hasn't been the no. 1 option since 2007. He exclusively lines up in the slot where he can be a mini tight end and block on running plays. I can't believe someone thinks Wallace is the no. 2.

Steelersfan87
08-30-2011, 01:38 AM
I believe that the 3-5 positions on the WR depth chart will be fluid. I don't think it's necessary to have a concrete depth chart between Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery, because each can offer different tools that would most benefit the Steelers at different times. Hopefully all 3 will get reasonably equitable work this season based on their level of play. The "hot hand" also would appear to be a factor. I do believe this formula would be in the team's best interests.

pete74
08-30-2011, 04:39 AM
if sanders get healthe i think wallace, brown and sanders should be our top 3 wr's. ward is great come clutch time but these young guys are just awesome. i bet we throw alot this year and Ben has his best year ever.

DanRooney
08-30-2011, 06:52 AM

Arnaz Battle? Has he done anything besides dropped balls in the Preseason. Has he lined up against first team defenses? Obvious troll is obvious.

I never said anything about cutting Wallace. I've repeatedly said that Wallace was a top 5 WR. What I did say is Brown offers a lot more than Hines Ward at this point of his career and should be in the starting lineup. Like the person under you replied. You are trolling. Why don't you contribute something instead of arguing other peoples posts with no reasoning behind it. I still don't know what you're trying to prove.

DanRooney
08-30-2011, 06:58 AM
if sanders get healthe i think wallace, brown and sanders should be our top 3 wr's. ward is great come clutch time but these young guys are just awesome. i bet we throw alot this year and Ben has his best year ever.

I echo your thought. Sanders is a prototypical slot receiver pretty much in the mold of Hines, only a hell of a lot quicker and faster. We've seen that he isn't scared of running across the middle and can lay the wood when he blocks.

Wallace and Brown lined up on the outside with Sanders in the slot would be money.