PDA

View Full Version : 10 Observations from Steelers vs. Falcons

pete74
08-29-2011, 05:08 AM
The starters got some extended work this week against Atlanta and some people stood out and grabbed their spot on the roster by the horns. It was a good overall game for the team. There were some injuries to some key guys but other then Byron Leftwich right now it looks like we came out pretty healthy. Here is who stood out to me.

1.Ben Roethlisberger is going to have a career year this season. He will throw for over 4000 yards and at least 30 touchdowns. He is in great shape and he can sling it. He seems to be reading the field better as well. Look for the offense to hold its own this season and win some games for this team.
2.Antonio Brown is a playmaker. He did it on kickoffs and on offense. He is going to be a game breaker for the Steelers. His play speaks for itself.
3.LaMarr Woodley looks like he worked on his pass coverage and his run stuffing this summer. He gets a great push and always stands his guy up stuffing the play. He looks strong.
4.Ziggy Hood has to play. Has to!!!! He is a beast. His push is fantastic. He was not on the field enough with the first unit in this game. Steelers bs again. Put the guys who can play on the field. I do not care how old they are.
5.James Harrison looks bad. His rush is weak. His speed is slow and he looked like he just couldn’t go in this game. He had Matt Ryan lined up once and just stopped running. He is not 100% but I hope he gets to that point.
6.I can not wait for Ike Taylor to be back. Our defense looks strong with guys who are not ready yet. With a healthy Taylor and if Lewis can come back healthy that could be a good tandem.
7.Speaking of Lewis, he is being used wrong. When Lewis is in press coverage he makes plays. When he plays off he makes tackles. Still solid but in man he is so much better. This kid needs to play close to the line and get a jam on the receiver. It is a waste of his talent for him to be 10 yards off the ball.
8.Where was Donovan Warren? He played great in the first 2 games. Why did Butler come on the field before him when Lewis went down. Warren has earned his playing time. He should get the chance out there. He has had probably the best coverage of anybody this preseason.
9.Mike Tomlin made his first stubborn mistake of the season. Keenan Lewis was obviously injured. If his injury becomes significant it is on Tomlin. He was kneeling down on the field and asking to come off and for help. Tomlin let the play run. That one play could cost Lewis his season. That would be sad. This kid was turning the corner and just got shot down again.
10.Mike Wallace looks pissed. Every time they pan to him on the sidelines he is asking for the ball or looking frustrated. If any of these guys play next week Roethlisberger needs to force the ball to him a few times to keep his confidence up. We dont need the best receiver on our team to become an issue. He is to good for him to get lost in the shuffle

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/6417658

steelfury02
08-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Great observations. I think if the line can at least get the same level of production from last year combined with Ben's improvements we should see a well-oiled machine.

Regarding defense - I'm pretty excited about the new DBs coach and the depth at that position. I think if anything else this will provide some added rotation and flexibility. That said - Lewis needs to show some solid improvement or the likes of Warren will overtake him. They are starting to get some more competition at this position and that will breed improvement IMHO.

No question, Ziggy needs to see a healthy amount of snaps - Aaron Smith or not. Same goes for Heyward. If we get up early on teams I'd like to see some rotation at these positions. Honestly - I could say the same for James Harrison's position. I'm on the fence with this guy's injury - there is no denying his abilities and I see a bounce back eventually - but you just have to hope his best days aren't behind him because of it. That is tough at his age. Once it happens a couple times it gets harder and harder to get back into form. Just ask Smith. Thankfully Steelers D has the depth and veteran leadership to not only overcome injuries but thrive when the chips are down.

Prediction - 11-5. These guys could easily be a #1-2 seed with a 13-3/12-4 record. But, as well all know - any team is a few plays/injuries away from taking a step back. I hope it doesn't happen but the injury bug could be a factor.

Steeldude
08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
due to the way harrison rushes the passer he may be in for a long and unproductive season. he puts so much pressure on his back. it doesn't help that tackles are allowed to hook and hold him.

DoctorCAD
08-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Uhh...the defense has given up 400 yards in every pre-season game.

That sucks, period.

Yea, I know..."Its only pre-season...blah, blah, blah" but 30 other teams were better and only 1 worse this pre-season. That is not the Steelers we have come to know.

To go from top 5 in defense in the last several years to this is not going end well.

SH-Rock
08-29-2011, 12:50 PM

That sucks, period.

Yea, I know..."Its only pre-season...blah, blah, blah" but 30 other teams were better and only 1 worse this pre-season. That is not the Steelers we have come to know.

To go from top 5 in defense in the last several years to this is not going end well.

The sky is falling :banging::banging:
We're prob a top 5 pick next draft

tanda10506
08-29-2011, 01:17 PM

That sucks, period.

Your questioning the defense? The 3rd and 4th quarters don't even count, it's not the first team. Even when the first team is on the field they are rotating guys in and out. Our defense will be as good as last year, hell it's almost the exact same crew. If our new(er) corners play average and don't see the field that often we will still have as good of a defense as last year, and if they step up and get playing time because of it, then it could be one of the better defenses to ever play. On a side note with the defense, nice to see LeBeau creating some new blitzes and letting guys roam.

BKAnthem
08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
All i ask that if the steelers find a couple of good cover corners out of this group , that Lebeau let's them do just that..cover...that prevent/cushion bullshit will be their downfall in the postseason

pancake
08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
I think the defense will be fine.

Sixburgher
08-29-2011, 02:35 PM

That sucks, period.

Yeah, just look at all the empirical evidence available that suggests preseason results are such an accurate predictor of regular season performance. Hell, just ask the 2008 Detroit Lions.

Get a grip.

Men of Steel
08-29-2011, 02:39 PM
another observation:

Stevenson Sylvester WILL be a starter for this defense in the next 1-2 years. He is a SPECIAL TEAMS ACE, he makes every tackle there. He has a motor that doesnt stop.

With Harrisons health taking a step back, and Farrior not getting any younger,
look for Big things from Sylvester, AND Worilds. :thumbsup:

pancake
08-29-2011, 02:42 PM
How did Worilds play the other night? I noticed in Washington that they ran straight at him with success...

Men of Steel
08-29-2011, 03:00 PM
How did Worilds play the other night? I noticed in Washington that they ran straight at him with success...

lol yea worilds hasnt shown much. But i trust he'll be better with time. I mean, its the steelers linebackers for crying out loud!! Theyr all good picks, well lately they have been. :tt02:

time will tell.

Steelersfan87
08-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Worilds had easily his best game of the preseason, which admittedly isn't saying much. He was at the QB when McClendon registered his (nearly uncontested) sack, and drove his man into the QB's face on another occasion or two. It's improvement, but he is still not 'ready'.

Also, Slyvester will be a starter as soon as Farrior retires, assuming that it's not in the middle of this season. Should that highly unlikely scenario happen, Foote would probably be allowed to start the remainder of the season. Come next year, however, I believe that Sylvester will be notably ahead of Foote on the depth chart and, more importantly, in the coaches' eyes. This is, of course, assuming that he continues to progress.

steeltheone
08-31-2011, 03:20 AM
Worilds had easily his best game of the preseason, which admittedly isn't saying much. He was at the QB when McClendon registered his (nearly uncontested) sack, and drove his man into the QB's face on another occasion or two. It's improvement, but he is still not 'ready'.

Also, Slyvester will be a starter as soon as Farrior retires, assuming that it's not in the middle of this season. Should that highly unlikely scenario happen, Foote would probably be allowed to start the remainder of the season. Come next year, however, I believe that Sylvester will be notably ahead of Foote on the depth chart and, more importantly, in the coaches' eyes. This is, of course, assuming that he continues to progress.

The kid deserves more playin time NOW..