PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau

Want1MoreSB
08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Now that the teams have figured out how to counter Dick's defensive schemes, do you think he will come up with new schemes this season. Now, I am not going to blame him for the SB loss. But I do think he could have done better against the high potent GB offense. I wonder why he has not addressed the DBs (slowness) issue yet. It's sort of ironic that both Dick and Mike T. have been DB players and coaches in the past.:frown:

steeltheone
08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I believe we will be fine at the season of the season. Teams will probably throw 40 plus times a game on us and that will wear the Defense down.
Fortunately our schedule is weaker than normal. We can handle average teams.

SteeleReign
08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Now that the teams have figured out how to counter Dick's defensive schemes, do you think he will come up with new schemes this season. Now, I am not going to blame him for the SB loss. But I do think he could have done better against the high potent GB offense. I wonder why he has not addressed the DBs (slowness) issue yet. It's sort of ironic that both Dick and Mike T. have been DB players and coaches in the past.:frown:

My understanding is that there are already new blitz packages in place, but that is nothing new. I would say the secondary problems are less about LeBeau and more about the drafting policy in place by the FO - they take the best player available rather than reach for a position of need. And, of course, we aren't going to make the big FA splash either.

Hopefully, one or two of these youngsters - Lewis, Brown, Butler, Allen, or even Warren makes a splash this year.

Atlanta Dan
08-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Now that the teams have figured out how to counter Dick's defensive schemes, do you think he will come up with new schemes this season. Now, I am not going to blame him for the SB loss. But I do think he could have done better against the high potent GB offense.:

Yeah - LeBeau really should have told Polamalu and Harrison not to get hurt before the Super Bowl

vasteeler
08-29-2011, 07:48 PM

well we did get a new secondary coach:noidea:

vasteeler
08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah - LeBeau really should have told Polamalu and Harrison not to get hurt before the Super Bowl

that too

tanda10506
08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Not very many teams have figured out his schemes. The fact that the type of offense that beats us is the same is not a coincidence but still most teams can't beat us with it. The Pats always beat us with it, the Packers have ONCE, but nobody else is able to beat us using that offensive style. We are not going to struggle against just any team that spreads the field, goes 2 TE, etc., but the Pats and at least once the Packers, have been able to show that if a really good team uses those plays that they can beat us. That being said, I hope he did a lot of new stuff for if we play a capable offense that spreads the field like the Packers, and maybe the Colts and Falcons. I hope we have a total different game scheme for Brady this year.

tony hipchest
08-29-2011, 08:46 PM

1) lebeau comes up with new defensive schemes EVERY season. theres a reason why he is pushing 75 years old and still one of the top assistants in the league (highly regarded as a mastermind).

up to 20% of his playbook is "new" (or taken off the shelf) every season. yet another reason why he prefers experienced players and why his system is so difficult to learn and master.

our secondary is no slower than any other secondary. infact in the last 5 games ive seen the steelers play in we've defeated d. revis and asomugha with the dream team. :noidea:

2) troy and ike are 2 of the fastest players in the nfl at their respective positions. an offensive player always has an advantage because they know where they are going and a defender in coverage has to make a decision to follow in a split second.

theres a reason why 40 times are measured at the combine. a split second is the difference of a cb who runs a 4.30 getting drafted in the 1st round and a cb who runs a 4.80 never playing a snap in the nfl.

3) lebeau and tomlin have been coaches on the sidelines in a combined 9 superbowls (just 2 together as steelers) dating back all the way back to joe montana when tomlin was riding big wheels. i think they know what they are doing.

:chuckle: true dat.

stb_steeler
08-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Lets not forget, do you really think Dick would just throw out new stuff during pre season, or any coach for that matter.

OX1947
08-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Aaron Rodgers, as good as he is, actually played one of the most perfect games a QB could play. Had his receivers not dropped passes, he may have had a crazier game. He was making passes in areas I havent even seen Tom Brady and Peyton Manning make. If he was just on his A game instead of his A+ game, Steelers probably win. Dick Lebeau is the coach too, he isnt playing.

SH-Rock
08-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Really 20% new playbook? That is a lot of plays.

Steeldude
08-30-2011, 02:17 AM
I believe we will be fine at the season of the season. Teams will probably throw 40 plus times a game on us and that will wear the Defense down.
Fortunately our schedule is weaker than normal. We can handle average teams.

the steelers tend to play down against weaker opponents.

Steeldude
08-30-2011, 02:19 AM

no, it will be the same. 8 to 10 yard cushions and bland pass rushing. also, if harrison's back hindering him the defense will surely feel it.

pete74
08-30-2011, 05:01 AM
he is one of the best ever yet people think he's getting old just because of one bad game. its impossible to shut down every team every game especially when your playing against a QB like Rodgers.

effyou515
08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Look like LeBeau is going blitz the d-backs more then he has the last couple of years.

Want1MoreSB
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM

Hmmm.....if the success of our defense depends upon two players, then we are in trouble. Actually, GB had a lot more injuries than our team. I think they had at least 11 players on IR. As I said, I am not blaming Dick for the loss. I believe our offense and STs were responsible for giving up 21 points. Ben threw an INT from the end zone after our ST screwed up. Ben had a chance to pull it off but couldn't. At the end of the day, GB as a team played the game at a much higher level than our team.

Want1MoreSB
08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Not very many teams have figured out his schemes. The fact that the type of offense that beats us is the same is not a coincidence but still most teams can't beat us with it. The Pats always beat us with it, the Packers have ONCE, but nobody else is able to beat us using that offensive style. We are not going to struggle against just any team that spreads the field, goes 2 TE, etc., but the Pats and at least once the Packers, have been able to show that if a really good team uses those plays that they can beat us. That being said, I hope he did a lot of new stuff for if we play a capable offense that spreads the field like the Packers, and maybe the Colts and Falcons. I hope we have a total different game scheme for Brady this year.

That's a good analysis--thanks. I am new to this forum and I like this much better than the other "message board".

You are right, Belichic has created the "blue print" on how to beat our defense consistently. Having said that, Mike T. has been able to beat him once and Rex Ryan has done a good job as well. I hope our team can somehow manage to beat the crap out of Brady & co.

steelfury02
08-30-2011, 08:56 PM
First off, I fully believe that out of any team out there - the Steelers are the masters at not showing all their cards - and yes, even in a regular season game. The blatant prevent we used against the Patriots was hilarious. Am I saying we let them beat us? Heck no! Am I saying that we had something saved for a potential rematch? You betcha!

Secondly - regardless of all the mistakes of the secondary and the poor decision making by our offense and special teams in SB 45 - we still only lost by 6 pts. That is something to hang our hat on. We still ranked slightly above average in pass defense at the end of the season. We could have ranked worse except for the last 12 games we played - we ranked #1 in the league.

Thirdly - just like the Saints coach said after their loss to the 7-9 Seahawks in the playoffs - "Any given Sunday you can lose to a team you are better than - parity has prevailed." The Packers played A+ offense, turnover-creatin' defense and that's that. We played a D game and still STILL had a chance to win it in the end.

Fourthly - Oh ye of little faith. The Steelers haters have given this teams plenty of reason to prove some things wrongs. Backs are officially up against the wall. Que the Renegade music . . .

steelfury02
08-30-2011, 08:58 PM
and I'll say now for the record that I made too many words plural due to Sam Adams Octoberfest.