PDA

View Full Version : Steelers invest in flashy receivers

SteelCityMom
08-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Steelers invest in flashy receivers
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One hasn't suited up for any of the Steelers' preseason games. Another has played in all of them but has barely registered a blip -- at least in the box scores.

The third member of the Steelers' "Money" receiving trio, meanwhile, has snagged the spotlight as easily as he has touchdown passes over the past month.

Not to worry, Emmanuel Sanders and Mike Wallace said Monday. They plan on joining Antonio Brown soon enough.

Sanders practiced yesterday, and he is on track to play in the Steelers' final preseason game Thursday night at Carolina.

Sanders, also known as "Young Money," has been sidelined or limited since the early part of training camp with a stress fracture in his left foot -- one that has been slow to heal.

Brown, Sanders' draft classmate and close friend, has emerged as the frontrunner for the No. 3 wide receiver spot behind Hines Ward and Wallace.

"I'm happy for my guy," Sanders said. "I'm in competition with myself and that's not showing up on the mental error sheet, catching every ball and making plays."

When asked if the gaggle of plays Brown has made has raised the bar for him, Sanders smiled.

"The bar has already been set by Mike Wallace," Sanders said. "He had a Pro Bowl year and that is the bar, Pro Bowls and Super Bowls around here."

Wallace, aka "Fast Money," indeed had a Pro Bowl-caliber season in 2010, ranking second in the NFL in yards per catch (21.0) while hauling in 1,257 yards worth of passes -- seventh most on the Steelers' all-time single-season list.

He has said numerous times that his goal is to eclipse 2,000 receiving yards in 2011, which would represent a first in NFL history.

Read more: Steelers invest in flashy receivers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754088.html#ixzz1WW2srbFS) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754088.html#ixzz1WW2srbFS

Aussie Steeler
08-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Setting the expectations high like true Steelers! "Pro Bowls and Super Bowls [are the bars] around here"
Plenty of potential in this receiving corps.

effyou515
08-30-2011, 08:58 AM
really like what i've seen from Brown this preseason and when the season starts the Steelers will bring Wallce out of hiding.

DanRooney
08-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Do they call Ward 'slow money?'

Fire Arians
08-30-2011, 01:13 PM

maybe buffalo nickel :chuckle:

steelfury02
08-30-2011, 01:31 PM
more like wasted money

pancake
08-30-2011, 03:14 PM

He is old money... :tt02:

What about Brown? Does he have a nickname?

Rick5895
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
more like wasted money

The Ward bashing I have read on this forum the past weeks is tiresome.
He WILL help us win games this year.

fer522
08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
how about right on the money:noidea:

Buddha Bus
08-30-2011, 04:25 PM
how about right on the money:noidea:

That or "money in the bank". :thumbsup:

pancake
08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Our Core of WR's should be call CMB ( New Jack City reference) Cash Money Brothers...

pancake
08-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Ward could be House money and Brown could be easy money... :tt04:

solardave
08-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Steady money.
Sure money!

solardave
08-30-2011, 05:05 PM
more like wasted money

You must be out of your mind. I'd take him over any receiver we have right now.
Even at his age he makes the catches over the middle,in traffic knowing they're out to light him up. I'LL TAKE ONE MORE YEAR OF THIS HOF'er.

pancake
08-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Even at his age he makes the catches over the middle,in traffic knowing they're out to light him up. I'LL TAKE ONE MORE YEAR OF THIS HOF'er.

Too much Hines Ward disrespect on this site...

bornaSteelersfan
08-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Hines is the "Ward of The Dance!"

ETL
08-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Call Ward ... "The Don"

"Don" - pronounced as "doan" means Money in Korean.

ETL
08-30-2011, 09:51 PM
more like wasted money

I so disagree with you in so many levels.

Go back to playing fantasy football and adding up stats to rate your players. My guess it that you don't have a category called "heart" in you fantasy score sheet.

DanRooney
08-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Haha. Maybe 5 years ago.

Now I don't agree with 'wasted money,' Hines is still a reliable veteran that can occasionally get you a first down, a TD inside the 10, or a completion on Arians' favorite play (that piece of shit WR screen). But take him over Mike Wallace? Hell no. Brown? He's much a Santonio Holmes clone minus the weed. Absolutely not. Sanders? He can do anything Ward can but faster. No. I'm not even sure I'd take him over Cotchery.

But over Arnaz Battle sure.

DanRooney
08-30-2011, 11:58 PM
The Ward bashing I have read on this forum the past weeks is tiresome.
He WILL help us win games this year.

I sure as hell hope so when he's on the field for every snap. I know Brown made game winning plays in like 3 games as a 5th string WR and backup kick returner. Man imagine if he was on the field more...

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 12:19 AM

I so disagree with you in so many levels.

Go back to playing fantasy football and adding up stats to rate your players. My guess it that you don't have a category called "heart" in you fantasy score sheet.

Exactly. He should step aside when he's forced aside, and not a second sooner. As if it's not bad enough that this eagerness to eject stable production for mere speculation has destroyed the global economy, now we should recreate these experiments on the Steelers' roster. No thanks.

24seven
08-31-2011, 12:20 AM
How about smack you in the f*ckin mouth money.. Damn man.. Hines is a Steelers legend.. don't be dissin Hinzey!!! I doubt there will ever be another reciever that breaks a linebackers collarbone.. Regardless of where he is now.. I remember some sweet ass times watching that boy play. He's got more heart than all 3 of those chitlins..

solardave
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM

I know and look at the way he has played this preseason. No drop off at all. It's mutiny I tell you. IT'S JUST WRONG!!!

solardave
08-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Haha. Maybe 5 years ago.

Now I don't agree with 'wasted money,' Hines is still a reliable veteran that can occasionally get you a first down, a TD inside the 10, or a completion on Arians' favorite play (that piece of shit WR screen). But take him over Mike Wallace? Hell no. Brown? He's much a Santonio Holmes clone minus the weed. Absolutely not. Sanders? He can do anything Ward can but faster. No. I'm not even sure I'd take him over Cotchery.

But over Arnaz Battle sure.

Take his leadership out of the mix. Why do you think Wallace has excelled to this point. I'm not taking away his talent but Hines has had a huge influence on him. Call me a homer if you want but Hines is still the MAN in my book. At least for one more year. Then I say Brown takes his place.

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Take his leadership out of the mix. Why do you think Wallace has excelled to this point. I'm not taking away his talent but Hines has had a huge influence on him. Call me a homer if you want but Hines is still the MAN in my book. At least for one more year. Then I say Brown takes his place.

I don' think Hines' leadership had anything to do with Wallace's speed. If anything, he would have helped Wallace learn the playbook and find voids running routes. I'm sure he taught him a few things. But then again, there are a few idiots here still say he is a one-trick pony; meaning he only runs go routes. That would mean Ward sucks at leading, right? :hatsoff:

I love how people think Hines is responsible for Plaxico, Santonio and Wallace for being great receivers. But he isn't responsible for Limas Sweed, Dallas Baker, Willie Reid, or anyone else.

3rdandlong
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Hines definitely merits a roster spot. He should be the number two WR on opening day. If Brown can duplicate what he has done during the preseason for some time during the regular season, I'd drop Hines to 3 and move Brown up to 2

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Hines definitely merits a roster spot. He should be the number two WR on opening day. If Brown can duplicate what he has done during the preseason for some time during the regular season, I'd drop Hines to 3 and move Brown up to 2

Luckily for Brown, we normally always run at least 3 WR sets. Techinically Brown is the #2 receiver if he's the #3 (if that makes sense) because he lines up wide. Hines plays slot almost exclusively so he can block closer to the line on running plays.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Luckily for Brown, we normally always run at least 3 WR sets. Techinically Brown is the #2 receiver if he's the #3 (if that makes sense) because he lines up wide. Hines plays slot almost exclusively so he can block closer to the line on running plays.

Good point.

solardave
09-03-2011, 08:42 AM
I don' think Hines' leadership had anything to do with Wallace's speed. If anything, he would have helped Wallace learn the playbook and find voids running routes. I'm sure he taught him a few things. But then again, there are a few idiots here still say he is a one-trick pony; meaning he only runs go routes. That would mean Ward sucks at leading, right? :hatsoff:

I love how people think Hines is responsible for Plaxico, Santonio and Wallace for being great receivers. But he isn't responsible for Limas Sweed, Dallas Baker, Willie Reid, or anyone else.
My answer to this statement YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID~~~ None of these guys learned from mistakes. Now they're gone.

Navy86
09-03-2011, 09:06 AM
My answer to this statement YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID~~~ None of these guys learned from mistakes. Now they're gone.

Absolutely!!! You ever hear the phrase "You can lead a horse to water..." Hines has undoubtedly mentored every WR that has been on the roster over the past several years. Sweed-injury riddled, Baker-not sure what you expect from a 7th Rd pick, Reid-lack of motivation, etc. Personal initiative has to play a part in development and you can't tell me that these WR failed due to Ward's guidance. I don't think anyone is saying that w/o Ward, our YMC couldn't develop into quality receivers, but most assuredly Ward's tutelage has had a positive effect on their development.

I will say that I was EXTREMELY disappointed with his DUI this summer, but there is no questioning his heart, soul, and devotion to the Steelers org.

As long as Ward continues to show the ability to get open and make those difficult (and often clutch) receptions across the middle, he should stay active on the roster. And when his time is done, hopefully he'll consider staying on board in a coaching capacity. Unfortuantely, I would expect him to go into broadcasting when all is said and done.

effyou515
09-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Ward is that cagey veteran you need in a group.

SwannWorth88
09-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Agreed, too much Ward hatred, and for no reason.

Brice Anthony
09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
really like what i've seen from Brown this preseason and when the season starts the Steelers will bring Wallce out of hiding.

And I can't wait!!!

STEELAMANIA
09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
As long as Suggs dont make no noise, the Steelers offense will be hard to stop in Ratbirdsville.