PDA

View Full Version : Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart

SteelCityMom
08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart
By Scott Brown and Mark Kaboly (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Steelers may have quietly settled on a starter at right guard.

Doug Legursky is listed as No. 1 at right guard on the Steelers' updated depth chart, a week after Tony Hills held the spot.

A change to the depth chart is not uncommon, but the one at right guard came after Hills had said he thought the coaches have already decided on a starter at the position.

"You'll have to wait and see," he said before practice yesterday.

Hills has started the past two games at right guard. Coach Mike Tomlin said he started against the Falcons last Saturday so coaches could get more of a look at him at the position. Hills played sparingly at right guard in an Aug. 18 game against Philadelphia because of injuries to left tackles Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert.

Legursky had been listed as second-team center. Trai Essex, who re-signed with the Steelers listed week, is now listed as second-team, behind Maurkice Pouncey.

Read more: Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754091.html#ixzz1WW6PuMTI) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754091.html#ixzz1WW6PuMTI

austinfrench76
08-30-2011, 12:31 PM
So, Hills is out?? Can't see them keeping him after the Essex resigning if he's not playing guard.

ricardisimo
08-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Theoretically he could move back to tackle, but I would think this might mark the end of the Tony Hills Era here in Pittsburgh. Brings a tear to my eye.

Fire Arians
08-30-2011, 12:48 PM
that's a surprise, i thought he played well enough to land him the job. he's likely to get cut, you expect production out of a 4th year player and looks like we're not going to get it

Steelersfan87
08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
I think it's too early to speculate that this means Legursky will be the day one starter.

Fire Arians
08-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I think it's too early to speculate that this means Legursky will be the day one starter.

that's true. for what it's worth maybe we are trying to avoid injuries to our day 1 starters

pancake
08-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I think this means, we will spend a 1st or 2nd on a guard next year...

Fire Arians
08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I think this means, we will spend a 1st or 2nd on a guard next year...

i wouldnt mind that. we need to protect our 100 million dollar qb

pancake
08-30-2011, 04:10 PM
i wouldnt mind that. we need to protect our 100 million dollar qb

That and I would like to have another Fanaca that opens big holes for the running game... :thumbsup:

Steeldude
08-30-2011, 04:25 PM
does it really matter who starts? they are all below average as guards. the steelers need to inject some talent into the O-line. they finally did when they selected pouncey.

in 2012 they need to draft a T, G or CB in the 1st round.

ricardisimo
08-30-2011, 04:52 PM
You're totally missing the point. On this message board we alter our roster for the foreseeable future based on a single quarter of preseason play, or even just rumors and whispers. Get with the program.

pancake
08-30-2011, 05:02 PM
does it really matter who starts? they are all below average as guards. the steelers need to inject some talent into the O-line. they finally did when they selected pouncey.

in 2012 they need to draft a T, G or CB in the 1st round.

I think we will be ok at OT with Colon and Gibson. If none of the young CB's don't step up, then we might add someone there too.

I think that we will look for Big Snack's replacement and a Starting RG in the first 2 rounds next draft.

solardave
08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
That and I would like to have another Fanaca that opens big holes for the running game... :thumbsup:

You got that right. Red was a force for us until he got the attitude.

55BaileyFan
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Changes to the depth chart are extremely common in preseason. Don't hold your breathe until they release the regular season depth chart.

pancake
08-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Changes to the depth chart are extremely common in preseason. Don't hold your breathe until they release the regular season depth chart.

I agree... I think whoever wins the job, will be holding it for next years first round pick.

ricardisimo
08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
As of five seconds ago, the Steelers' site claimed Ramon Foster was the starting right guard. Someone might be having fun at the expense of the fans and media.

BKAnthem
08-30-2011, 06:42 PM
the fact that this is even a story shows the sorry state of this line

ricardisimo
08-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Sad, but true.

effyou515
08-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I thought Legursky was the short yardage FB?

pete74
08-30-2011, 07:09 PM
batch is also named the starter on the chart for this week

Want1MoreSB
08-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Good for Legursky. I am a bit concerned about Pouncey. It's a shame to see a player who is so young and talented be injury-prone.

Steelersfan87
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM

I disagree. We already know that the right guard position this year will be of average performance. The fact that there are three average guards on the roster means that there's quality depth, which often ends up being just as important as having a blue chip starter. I would be fine with whoever they throw out as the right guard, whether it be Hills, Foster, or Legursky.

BKAnthem
08-30-2011, 11:52 PM
I disagree. We already know that the right guard position this year will be of average performance. The fact that there are three average guards on the roster means that there's quality depth, which often ends up being just as important as having a blue chip starter. I would be fine with whoever they throw out as the right guard, whether it be Hills, Foster, or Legursky.

you call that average, getting stood up or pushed into the backfield on the regular? Someone should have Accidentally stepped up, or fallen ass backwards and taken that job by now....you guys:banging:

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Gutted.

I was rooting for Hills just because he looked so funny out there at towering over almost everyone else at RG.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2011, 01:33 AM
you call that average, getting stood up or pushed into the backfield on the regular? Someone should have Accidentally stepped up, or fallen ass backwards and taken that job by now....you guys:banging:

You should watch the games closer. Tony Hills played perfectly fine while he was in at right guard. He was not "stood up or pushed into the backfield on the regular"; oddly, simply making a claim does not make it true. I just re-watched the last game earlier today on NFL Network, specifically observing Hills and Gilbert, and I liked what I saw from both, especially considering neither have any starting experience. I think that both players have the highest ceilings on the team at their respective positions, and are already at a capable level. Just because Legursky is starting the last preseason game doesn't necessarily mean that the move says much about Hills. The team wants to get a good look at Legursky at right guard, and they've hardly had any chance at all to do so. Legursky has spent the majority of his time starting in place of Kemoeatu or filling in for Pouncey the past two games. I think it's basically down to Hills and Legursky, and we won't know who it is until the last minute.

I'd also like to say that, based on reading your posts since I've joined, I feel that you have a pretty myopic, naive perspective on the offensive line. Offensive line, deliberately, is not the Steelers' priority, because they believe that they can get by with what they have, using those resources not spent there on other avenues to make their team stronger. I'll sacrifice an average offensive line for Ben, Rashard, Heath, and the WRs the Steelers have. And regardless of that, the last two drafts have seen a lineman taken in the first two rounds. There's a pro bowler anchoring the line, and Willie Colon is a very good right tackle that has already shown that he will not be hindered by his injury. Marcus Gilbert has looked impressive in all 3 preseason games so far and should be the starting left tackle of the future no later than the beginning of next season. In the meantime, there are more than enough sufficient, capable bodies to fill the two guard spots. There's a pretty reasonable chance that they draft a guard in the first 3 rounds next year as well, but only if the right player is there. They also are on the lookout for the new NT, and CBs are always on the menu.

BKAnthem
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
You should watch the games closer. Tony Hills played perfectly fine while he was in at right guard. He was not "stood up or pushed into the backfield on the regular"; oddly, simply making a claim does not make it true. I just re-watched the last game earlier today on NFL Network, specifically observing Hills and Gilbert, and I liked what I saw from both, especially considering neither have any starting experience. I think that both players have the highest ceilings on the team at their respective positions, and are already at a capable level. Just because Legursky is starting the last preseason game doesn't necessarily mean that the move says much about Hills. The team wants to get a good look at Legursky at right guard, and they've hardly had any chance at all to do so. Legursky has spent the majority of his time starting in place of Kemoeatu or filling in for Pouncey the past two games. I think it's basically down to Hills and Legursky, and we won't know who it is until the last minute.

I'd also like to say that, based on reading your posts since I've joined, I feel that you have a pretty myopic, naive perspective on the offensive line. Offensive line, deliberately, is not the Steelers' priority, because they believe that they can get by with what they have, using those resources not spent there on other avenues to make their team stronger. I'll sacrifice an average offensive line for Ben, Rashard, Heath, and the WRs the Steelers have. And regardless of that, the last two drafts have seen a lineman taken in the first two rounds. There's a pro bowler anchoring the line, and Willie Colon is a very good right tackle that has already shown that he will not be hindered by his injury. Marcus Gilbert has looked impressive in all 3 preseason games so far and should be the starting left tackle of the future no later than the beginning of next season. In the meantime, there are more than enough sufficient, capable bodies to fill the two guard spots. There's a pretty reasonable chance that they draft a guard in the first 3 rounds next year as well, but only if the right player is there. They also are on the lookout for the new NT, and CBs are always on the menu.

Actually my naive, myopic posts have been right on about this line as evidenced by the fact they have no clear cut stater at RG, . The Line still can barely get any push which means Mendy gets most of his yards on his own and they Still have an unsettled LT situation despite drafting Olineman in the first 3 rounds (not 2) of the last 2 drafts...Abraham was running through and around Gibert, and Hills was not getting any push in the Running game and there were a couple of pressures right up the Middle , what game were you watching...If there was as much energy invested into properly scouting OLineman and CB's as there is in scouting LB's, WR's and Dlineman, the Line wouldn't be in the yearly state of flux it always seems to be in...All those sack s aren't Bens fault

Rick5895
08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
When people are so insistant on the negative, they will look for any excuse (and in this case, mistakes) to prove a point. There are only a few posters on this forum that are consitantly negative towards the FO and the players. I find no purpose in always being negative about the team I live for and cheer for, sure they piss me off from time to time, but I am still there cheering for them, looking for the positive. I really wonder if these folks that constantly post and preach negativity are really Steelers fans at all or rather just Ratbirds, Clowns or Bungles fans trolling our boards trying to start needless cyber confrontations.
I, for one, think our line has some issues but is improving. I thought Gilbert held his own against pro bowl callber competition, Hils was adequete, but i went into this pre-season hoping Legursky would get a shot at the right guard spot, and it appears he will.

desertsteel
08-31-2011, 02:04 PM
I agree... I think whoever wins the job, will be holding it for next years first round pick.Seriously doubt that. Legs will hold this job down for years... just watch and see. Look at Harrison and others who came in and busted their ass as UFAs. You guys are too hung on on draft status and measurements. Legs has the heart and the nasty streak to keep this job and he will.

pete74
08-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Hills will be the starting RG come week 1

kirklandrules
08-31-2011, 03:43 PM
The Line still can barely get any push which means Mendy gets most of his yards on his own and they Still have an unsettled LT situation despite drafting Olineman in the first 3 rounds (not 2) of the last 2 drafts...Abraham was running through and around Gibert, and Hills was not getting any push in the Running game and there were a couple of pressures right up the Middle , what game were you watching...

You mean to tell us this is occurring in a preseason game? :jawdrop:
Well, I'll be damned if I'm going to root for a team that shows such a lack of polish in a preseason game.

But you can't hold a whole offensive line responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole Steelers system? And if the whole Steelers system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our NFL franchises in general? "Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!" (name that movie).

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Hills will be the starting RG come week 1
Kaboly at the Trib says it's as good as done that Legursky has the job. I still say Foster might win it by default.

Fire Arians
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
hills prolly got fired for sleeping with arians' wife

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 09:25 PM
hills prolly got fired for sleeping with arians' wife

Can anyone blame her?

BKAnthem
08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Well, I'll be damned if I'm going to root for a team that shows such a lack of polish in a preseason game.

But you can't hold a whole offensive line responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole Steelers system? And if the whole Steelers system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our NFL franchises in general? "Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!" (name that movie).

shit i was referring to last season...

SunshineMan21
09-01-2011, 12:40 AM
I like Legursky--he's always played quite well when called upon. The dude just refuses to quit.

Steelersfan87
09-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Actually my naive, myopic posts have been right on about this line as evidenced by the fact they have no clear cut stater at RG, . The Line still can barely get any push which means Mendy gets most of his yards on his own and they Still have an unsettled LT situation despite drafting Olineman in the first 3 rounds (not 2) of the last 2 drafts...Abraham was running through and around Gibert, and Hills was not getting any push in the Running game and there were a couple of pressures right up the Middle , what game were you watching...If there was as much energy invested into properly scouting OLineman and CB's as there is in scouting LB's, WR's and Dlineman, the Line wouldn't be in the yearly state of flux it always seems to be in...All those sack s aren't Bens fault

They have no clear-cut starter at RG only because they wanted to look at several different players before they decide, giving each their due diligence, which is the intelligent thing to do. Hills emerged as a surprise candidate, and his opening audition was cut short due to injuries. Now they seem settled on Legursky, whom Arians loved and said last year that he would be the starter at RG for a while. Also, Maurkice Pouncey was a first rounder in 2010. Marcus Gilbert was a 2nd rounder in 2011. How was my statement about drafting linemen in the first two rounds the past two years incorrect? Perhaps you just don't know what you're talking about, shockingly. Marcus Gilbert was the 63rd overall pick. Check your facts. Abraham was absolutely not "running through and around Gilbert". That is such a bogus, erroneous claim. He got beat a few times throughout the course of the entire first half. That is a very impressive performance for a rookie left tackle going against a seasoned Pro-Bowl veteran player. Tony Hills also had several nice plays. I genuinely believe that you did not watch the game closely and are just commenting on what you think without having any supporting evidence.

I also doubt that scouting has anything to do with who they pick up on the o-line and cbs. To begin with, These are positions within the offensive and defensive schemes for which the team has deemed that the scheme is more important than the talent, and that they can get by with less. And I agree with that, because they have been doing that. More importantly, however, the top quality linemen and CBs are consistently taken before the Steelers get a chance to pick. Troy Polamalu talents that are worth trading up for are very rare instances, and the Steelers are too intelligent to trade up and reach for talent, thereby sabotaging the rest of their draft. The past draft broke pretty well for the Steelers, actually. They got 3 potential future starters in the first 3 rounds. Two of those positions being LT and CB.

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 02:01 AM
The 49ers offensive line has 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder and they're beyond suck. Just sayin'.

tony hipchest
09-01-2011, 02:12 AM
The 49ers offensive line has 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder and they're beyond suck. Just sayin'.maybe they shoulda kept the invincible "bad thad" gibson to solve all their woes and light a fire under their ass. :hunch:

:toofunny:

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 02:28 AM
maybe they shoulda kept the invincible "bad thad" gibson to solve all their woes and light a fire under their ass. :hunch:

Light a fire like this?

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=10688

tony hipchest
09-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Light a fire like this?

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=10688

that is one of the most dumbest and ignorant video compilations i have ever seen. it is akin to a fart and giggle stunt.

in the 4-5 plays shown, 2-3 are for incompletions and the other 3 offensive gains are for no more than 30 yards.

*gasp* :jawdrop: you mean to tell me that the steelers wont record 60 sacks per game on 60 defensive snaps.

LOL. you lose.

lay off the fantasy football stats, geronimo. it clouds your ability to analize actual football in the real world.

youre obviously pushing a lame agenda, and it makes you look weaker with every post.

when your cited source is named "razor" we know you arent grounded in reality.

:rofl:

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 02:57 AM
postgameheroes is a pretty good Steelers blog. Dagger is the guy who runs it and is pretty accurate with his analysis and breaks down interesting game footage. A couple of years ago he did one on Frank Summers (another draft pick I couldn't stand) being an absolute fat failure. It was pretty funny. Next thing you know, Summers was gone.

If you want a more popular blog, behindthesteelcurtain also has acknowledged Jason Worilds being pretty disappointing. Here they even mention Baraka Atkins as a darkhorse to make the team because of Worilds and Carter (though he's injured) being less than spectacular http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/31/2393408/five-players-to-watch-in-pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-finale#storyjump

Fantasy football stats? I didn't know Jason Worilds or Thaddeus Gibson had any fantasy stats. Are you just making stuff up now?

It doesn't matter though. I can tell you're one of those people who think you're right and everyone else is wrong. I mean really? "I win you lose? " You keep saying the same irrelevant shit over and over again. Quit embarrassing yourself.

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2011, 02:59 AM
593 pass attempts against the steelers last year ... i it's a good thing woodley and harrison had a couple hundred sacks each, otherwise someone might put together a video like this to expose their weak game...

tony hipchest
09-01-2011, 03:03 AM
postgameheroes is a pretty good Steelers blog. Dagger is the guy who runs it and is pretty accurate with his analysis and breaks down interesting game footage. A couple of years ago he did one on Frank Summers (another draft pick I couldn't stand) being an absolute fat failure. It was pretty funny. Next thing you know, Summers was gone.

If you want a more popular blog, behindthesteelcurtain also has acknowledged Jason Worilds being pretty disappointing. Here they even mention Baraka Atkins as a darkhorse to make the team because of Worilds and Carter (though he's injured) being less than spectacular http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/31/2393408/five-players-to-watch-in-pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-finale#storyjump

Fantasy football stats? I didn't know Jason Worilds or Thaddeus Gibson had any fantasy stats. Are you just making stuff up now?

It doesn't matter though. I can tell you're one of those people who think you're right and everyone else is wrong. I mean really? "I win you lose? " You keep saying the same irrelevant shit over and over again. Quit embarrassing yourself.

it takes much more than you miserably losing for me to consider myself winning.

dont flatter yourself.

but thanks for the consideration and validation.

:thumbsup:

#winning

know what else is pretty funny? there is a great youtube video of a monkey in a zoo who sticks his finger up his butt and then smells it. when he smells his finger, he falls off the log/fallen tree he is perched upon. :toofunny: hilarious!

your posts may one day equal that level of entertainment and funnyness. :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2011, 03:14 AM
http://123glitter.com/smiley_signs/create.php?id=grey%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E7%5E_%5E6%5E_ %5EWINNING%5E_%5E.gif

tony hipchest
09-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Light a fire like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXXlums2_cU&feature=related

aXXlums2_cU&feature=related

cool story, bro! :thumbsup:

BKAnthem
09-01-2011, 11:30 AM
that is one of the most dumbest and ignorant video compilations i have ever seen. it is akin to a fart and giggle stunt.

in the 4-5 plays shown, 2-3 are for incompletions and the other 3 offensive gains are for no more than 30 yards.

*gasp* :jawdrop: you mean to tell me that the steelers wont record 60 sacks per game on 60 defensive snaps.

LOL. you lose.

lay off the fantasy football stats, geronimo. it clouds your ability to analize actual football in the real world.

youre obviously pushing a lame agenda, and it makes you look weaker with every post.

when your cited source is named "razor" we know you arent grounded in reality.

:rofl:

Why was dude always so late off the snap? he has a pretty good bullrush but it is the Skins OLine which i think is just about as average as ours...and getting taken out by a RB on a chip was not a good look....tape doesn't lie and he did not look good on those plays...doesn't matter what the outcome was if the vid focuses on him the question is did he affect that outcome...is those clips ...he didn't...i thought the Steelers should have taken an Olineman or Corner with that pick , but i am warming to the kid...but he looked kinda lost there

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Why was dude always so late off the snap? he has a pretty good bullrush but it is the Skins OLine which i think is just about as average as ours...and getting taken out by a RB on a chip was not a good look....tape doesn't lie and he did not look good on those plays...doesn't matter what the outcome was if the vid focuses on him the question is did he affect that outcome...is those clips ...he didn't...i thought the Steelers should have taken an Olineman or Corner with that pick , but i am warming to the kid...but he looked kinda lost there

He's been slow off the snap since college. You can even them mention it as one of his weaknesses at the start of the video.

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
it takes much more than you miserably losing for me to consider myself winning.

dont flatter yourself.

but thanks for the consideration and validation.

:thumbsup:

#winning

know what else is pretty funny? there is a great youtube video of a monkey in a zoo who sticks his finger up his butt and then smells it. when he smells his finger, he falls off the log/fallen tree he is perched upon. :toofunny: hilarious!

your posts may one day equal that level of entertainment and funnyness. :coffee:

Another post that has nothing to do with anything but you praising yourself. lol. What a tool. You just don't give up.

I have a feeling your a Virginia Tech alumni and Worilds is 'your boy.' That's why your butt hurts so much when I bring up facts like Worilds being in the Butler's dog house.

ricardisimo
09-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Another post that has nothing to do with anything but you praising yourself. lol. What a tool. You just don't give up.

I have a feeling your a Virginia Tech alumni and Worilds is 'your boy.' That's why your butt hurts so much when I bring up facts like Worilds being in the Butler's dog house.
"Facts"? Can you read me the definition out of whatever bizarre dictionary you use?

SteelCityMom
09-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Listen, all of you just put your c0cks away ok?

I don't think it was ever anyone's intent to start flame wars, or trash each other about opinions...so let's not go there. If you disagree with something, do it in a respectful fashion please.

I don't care who started it, just stop it.

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 05:24 PM
"Facts"? Can you read me the definition out of whatever bizarre dictionary you use?

Fact: Worilds has not been turning any heads since week 6 of last season. This is very bad considering Harrison is looking pretty gimpy out there.

Or is this not true?

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Listen, all of you just put your c0cks away ok?

how did you know ??? :nervous:

SteelCityMom
09-01-2011, 05:47 PM
how did you know ??? :nervous:

Oh...Mom sees all.

Ric knows, just ask him. :chuckle:

Buddha Bus
09-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Oh...Mom sees all.

BRING US THE HOLY INFRACTINATOR OF ANTIOCH!!!!!!

http://videos.videopress.com/aXZJQ7wl/monty-python-holy-hand-grenade_std.original.jpg

:chuckle:

theplatypus
09-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Oh...Mom sees all.

I knew that I was well endowed, but not viewable from 700 miles well endowed.

SteelCityMom
09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
TXJ_QsquRZ8&

tony hipchest
09-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Buddha Bus
09-01-2011, 06:05 PM
TXJ_QsquRZ8&

Flamer. :sly:

Steelersfan87
09-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Fact: Worilds has not been turning any heads since week 6 of last season. This is very bad considering Harrison is looking pretty gimpy out there.

Or is this not true?

How many times do I have to mention the Falcons game until you actually look into it? He had a very solid game last week. The video that you constantly link to was from the first two preseason games.

pancake
09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Seriously doubt that. Legs will hold this job down for years... just watch and see. Look at Harrison and others who came in and busted their ass as UFAs. You guys are too hung on on draft status and measurements. Legs has the heart and the nasty streak to keep this job and he will.

He couldn't hold on to the job last year. I just think he is too short to be a full time starter (long term), I think he will be a nice career back up for us...

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
TXJ_QsquRZ8&
if assholes could fly , this place would be an airport . :chuckle:

4n2t0
09-01-2011, 07:06 PM
The o-line is going to be a disaster, more so than previous years. Lets hope Ben can get rid of the ball with timing and rhythm, yeah right! Sack-o-matic. Ben's a good QB but he'll always hold onto the ball for way too long. Sometimes great things happen, sometimes...not so much.

Whatever happened to the slant?

Oh well, lets hope for the best.

BKAnthem
09-01-2011, 07:17 PM
They

Just stop...please re-read your post...the fact that they have been looking for a guard since Kendall Simmons, shows a serious problem with scouting Oline talent...they have 3. count 'em 3, tackles
(hills,scott,foster) who can't play tackle..and it seems they can't play guard either considering 2 were draft picks and they can't beat out a free agent,, the running game is non-existent with the starters and you have no problem with that...i mean c'mon a three year search...for a GUARD???....you can only get by so much on scheme, talent also plays a huge part in it...you are sounding like a reeeal homer with this post...no matter what the Steelers do wrong you don't see it or admit it..

ricardisimo
09-01-2011, 09:54 PM

Or is this not true?
So that's what you call a "fact". Kinda what I figured. Thanks for the clarification.

ricardisimo
09-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh...Mom sees all.

It's true. It's all true. :sadpace:
LMxTFqPET5I

SunshineMan21
09-02-2011, 12:16 AM
LOL--Worilds got a sack today.

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Just stop...please re-read your post...the fact that they have been looking for a guard since Kendall Simmons, shows a serious problem with scouting Oline talent...they have 3. count 'em 3, tackles
(hills,scott,foster) who can't play tackle..and it seems they can't play guard either considering 2 were draft picks and they can't beat out a free agent,, the running game is non-existent with the starters and you have no problem with that...i mean c'mon a three year search...for a GUARD???....you can only get by so much on scheme, talent also plays a huge part in it...you are sounding like a reeeal homer with this post...no matter what the Steelers do wrong you don't see it or admit it..

You are sounding like a moron with all of your posts, so I'll take your "homer" remark in stride. But I'm not a homer, I'm a realist. I realize that the team prioritizes some positions over others, and I realize that the team does its best not to reach for draft picks. Do you think the Steelers should have traded up 16 spots and given away the rest of their draft to take Mike Pouncey? The past year's draft was excellent in that they were able to secure players with quality potential in high rounds that fulfilled positions of need. There was really no good candidate for guard in the earlier rounds where they would be picking. The only guard aside from Keith Williams, a 6th round pick this year, that they've drafted recently has been Kraig Urbik in the 3rd round a few years ago. And yeah, he didn't pan out here. But he is in line to start at RG for the Bills, so I guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not he was a bust or we got rid of him sooner than we should have.

Just because somebody is an undrafted free agent doesn't mean that they can't hold off high draft picks. Any Steeler fan should not be dumb enough to suggest something like that. I mean, seriously...James Harrison? You think Von Miller would beat out Harrison for a starting spot? It's also pretty ridiculous to claim that a team with a 1,000 yard rusher in back to back seasons has a "non-existent" running game. The run blocking has been inconsistent, as I've already said, and obviously there's room to improve. But as I've already said, They just drafted potential starting linemen in the first two rounds of the past two drafts, so trying to say that the front office is either not doing anything or doing it very poorly is ignorant.

You make it sound as though I would be disappointed if the Steelers drafted players to replace Kemo and (evidently) Legursky. The guard spots are the weakest positions on the entire starting roster (along with left tackle with Scott is the starter, and 2nd and 3rd CBs trailing ever so slightly behind them). But who are you to say that Doug Legursky can't be the answer at RG? I'd like to see Legursky play out the full season at RG and then have the Steelers draft a guard replacement for whoever plays worse between him and Kemo, because I'm ready to see an upgrade at LG too and Kemo commands much more money (plus he tends to do stupid things).

And I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to complain about a 5th round pick or later not panning out. Really, any player taken beyond the 4th round, and sometimes even the 3rd round, that is able to contribute I look at as a bonus. So if Chris Scott is cut because he couldn't prove himself in the preseason, then I'm not really going to cry over it and I'm not going to claim that the front office is incompetent because they couldn't turn a 5th round tackle into a starting guard. As for Hills, from what I've seen of him from this preseason, I would have been fine with him starting at RG. His only issue had been that he was playing too high, but I know that he's been working on playing lower (according to one story, his wife even pointed this out to him. :toofunny:). Other than that, his play was pretty much "above the line" as Tomlin would say, meaning he was playing like an average starting RG in the NFL. And that's fine for a 'weakness'.

SunshineMan21
09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
You are sounding like a moron with all of your posts, so I'll take your "homer" remark in stride. But I'm not a homer, I'm a realist. I realize that the team prioritizes some positions over others, and I realize that the team does its best not to reach for draft picks. Do you think the Steelers should have traded up 16 spots and given away the rest of their draft to take Mike Pouncey? The past year's draft was excellent in that they were able to secure players with quality potential in high rounds that fulfilled positions of need. There was really no good candidate for guard in the earlier rounds where they would be picking. The only guard aside from Keith Williams, a 6th round pick this year, that they've drafted recently has been Kraig Urbik in the 3rd round a few years ago. And yeah, he didn't pan out here. But he is in line to start at RG for the Bills, so I guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not he was a bust or we got rid of him sooner than we should have.

Just because somebody is an undrafted free agent doesn't mean that they can't hold off high draft picks. Any Steeler fan should not be dumb enough to suggest something like that. I mean, seriously...James Harrison? You think Von Miller would beat out Harrison for a starting spot? It's also pretty ridiculous to claim that a team with a 1,000 yard rusher in back to back seasons has a "non-existent" running game. The run blocking has been inconsistent, as I've already said, and obviously there's room to improve. But as I've already said, They just drafted potential starting linemen in the first two rounds of the past two drafts, so trying to say that the front office is either not doing anything or doing it very poorly is ignorant.

You make it sound as though I would be disappointed if the Steelers drafted players to replace Kemo and (evidently) Legursky. The guard spots are the weakest positions on the entire starting roster (along with left tackle with Scott is the starter, and 2nd and 3rd CBs trailing ever so slightly behind them). But who are you to say that Doug Legursky can't be the answer at RG? I'd like to see Legursky play out the full season at RG and then have the Steelers draft a guard replacement for whoever plays worse between him and Kemo, because I'm ready to see an upgrade at LG too and Kemo commands much more money (plus he tends to do stupid things).

And I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to complain about a 5th round pick or later not panning out. Really, any player taken beyond the 4th round, and sometimes even the 3rd round, that is able to contribute I look at as a bonus. So if Chris Scott is cut because he couldn't prove himself in the preseason, then I'm not really going to cry over it and I'm not going to claim that the front office is incompetent because they couldn't turn a 5th round tackle into a starting guard. As for Hills, from what I've seen of him from this preseason, I would have been fine with him starting at RG. His only issue had been that he was playing too high, but I know that he's been working on playing lower (according to one story, his wife even pointed this out to him. :toofunny:). Other than that, his play was pretty much "above the line" as Tomlin would say, meaning he was playing like an average starting RG in the NFL. And that's fine for a 'weakness'.

More people should post like this . . . much more effective than the endless ad hominem attacks.

iBleedBlack&Gold
09-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I would have traded our whole draft for Mike Pouncey. I would still do it right now.

J. Scott-Ma. Pouncey-D. Legursky-Mi. Pouncey-W. Colon= Super Bowl #7

A guy can dream can't he?

smheart78
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Animal House
Subtle reference to this thread, like it :hatsoff:

BKAnthem
09-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Urbick couldn't block anyone and lost his spot to Ramon Foster, There were a few Guards in the second round of that draft (which they traded out of) that could be helping or even starting i dare say at guard or tackle for them right now. .

Pouncey is a God Send no disputing that....don't know about Gilbert yet he still looks shaky to me....If the first team line can mount a consistent push against first team defenses in the pre season, that's not a good look...pre season is like practice and you practice like you play....

No YOU make it sound that way...according to you, YOU don't have a problem with this line as presently constituted.....I think outside of Pouncey every position could be upgraded but that's scoutings Job and they are not getting it done...ESPECIALLY if your now saying that you also think this line needs fixing....you're either fine with it or you are not....

I hate that they take Olinemen, and CB's so Low...it think for the last 4 years O-Line should be a priority especially with a franchise QB...DLineman should be picked 4th and lower because with the quality of talent and coaching at that position we can afford to bring those guys along slowly, but the Oine and CB, knowing it's a weakness and drafting like it's a strength when you need quality starters and you draft like all you need is depth? nonsensical...so yeah take that homer tag in stride.......and instead of defending what EVERY SINGLE SPORTS ANALYST KNOWS IS A WEAKNESS, hope upon hope that they will start to make it a priority. they last 3 drafts should have been OL and CB in the first 3 rounds especially if that's where your weakness lies, there were enough quality OL and CB where they pick that they didn't have to reach....they basically take what amounts to high second round picks anyway....but a "realist" like you already knows that....And if Tony Hills Play was acceptable to you the fact that he's now behind Legursky speaks volumes about what your fine with...
[/B]

desertsteel
09-02-2011, 05:35 PM
He couldn't hold on to the job last year. I just think he is too short to be a full time starter (long term), I think he will be a nice career back up for us...

We shall see... last year was his first real experience. One thing people don't realize is what an athlete he is. He ran a 4.75 40 on his pro day and benched 225 over 40 times. Yeah he's short but he's got god leverage and he plays with a nasty streak. All of his teammates have confidence in him. I think I'm gonna be right about him. Dwight Freeney and James Harrison are too short also...........

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Urbick couldn't block anyone and lost his spot to Ramon Foster, There were a few Guards in the second round of that draft (which they traded out of) that could be helping or even starting i dare say at guard or tackle for them right now. .

We're talking about Urbik now, not two years ago or last year. And I highly doubt that you've been keeping up with the Bills' preseason. Besides, the trade allowed the Steelers to draft both Mike Wallace (a number 1 receiver and among the top 10 in the league, arguably) and Keenan Lewis (who looks to finally contribute significantly this year and hopefully improve one of the weaker units on this team).

Pouncey is a God Send no disputing that....don't know about Gilbert yet he still looks shaky to me....If the first team line can mount a consistent push against first team defenses in the pre season, that's not a good look...pre season is like practice and you practice like you play....

I'm not sure if you said what you meant to say. You said it's not good if the first team line can mount a consistent push against first team defenses in the preseason. I'm pretty sure that is good. Also, Chris Scott apparently doesn't practice like he plays. :toofunny:

No YOU make it sound that way...according to you, YOU don't have a problem with this line as presently constituted.....I think outside of Pouncey every position could be upgraded but that's scoutings Job and they are not getting it done...ESPECIALLY if your now saying that you also think this line needs fixing....you're either fine with it or you are not....

First of all, I didn't say I "don't have a problem with this line". What I was arguing was that there were not many other options for the Steelers in recent drafts that did not involve reaching for players that could have significantly improved the offensive line that they didn't make. In fact, here (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/09/time-machines-steelers-oline/)'s a post by the well-respected Steelers Lounge crew, looking back at recent drafts and what the Steelers could have gotten for the offensive line instead of who they ended up drafting. The overwhelming conclusion is that they pretty much always made the better decision in not reaching on a lineman. One of the few exceptions seems to be Marshall Yanda over Matt Spaeth in the 3rd round in 2007. The point is not that the offensive line is the best that it can be, but that in order for the Steelers to have drafted linemen higher in the draft in recent times, they not only would have missed out on some important cogs in the success that they do achieve now, but they would have had to have reached, more often than not, so they almost always made the prudent move to to resist the temptation to draft for 'need' and instead take the overall superior player.

Also, since you happen to be so down on Willie Colon, perhaps you should take a glance at this (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/15/three-year-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-linemen/). Also note there that Justin Hartwig was ranked the worst center in the league for allowing pressure on passing plays (Chris Kemoeatu was also ranked the worst among guards, which strengthens my argument that the Steelers should allow the season to play out with Legursky and then draft a guard to compete at whichever spot had the worse play. Kemo's spot should in no way be safe).

I hate that they take Olinemen, and CB's so Low...it think for the last 4 years O-Line should be a priority especially with a franchise QB...DLineman should be picked 4th and lower because with the quality of talent and coaching at that position we can afford to bring those guys along slowly, but the Oine and CB, knowing it's a weakness and drafting like it's a strength when you need quality starters and you draft like all you need is depth? nonsensical...so yeah take that homer tag in stride.......and instead of defending what EVERY SINGLE SPORTS ANALYST KNOWS IS A WEAKNESS, hope upon hope that they will start to make it a priority. they last 3 drafts should have been OL and CB in the first 3 rounds especially if that's where your weakness lies, there were enough quality OL and CB where they pick that they didn't have to reach....they basically take what amounts to high second round picks anyway....but a "realist" like you already knows that....And if Tony Hills Play was acceptable to you the fact that he's now behind Legursky speaks volumes about what your fine with...
[/B]

The defensive line is far more directly important to the overall success of the Steelers than the offensive line is, so I don't know what you're talking about. You think the Steelers didn't get lucky that Brett Keisel turned out to be a starter and not another 7th round garbage pick like Sunny Harris and Doug Worthington? They realize that if they want to keep winning with the core that they have now, then they have to replenish the strengths that they have now (like the DEs) with high quality replacements because the old guys are just about out the door. It's a hell of a lot easier to "get by" with average talent on the offensive line than it is to do so on the defensive line, especially for a team so dependent on their defensive dominance as the Steelers are. So on that point I have to completely disagree with you.

You can't just throw draft picks at positions of need and expect that your team will fall in place. That's like tossing a puzzle into the air and hoping the pieces land assembled into a coherent image. Do you actually think that if it was as simple as throwing high draft picks at weaker areas that the Steelers would do this? What cornerback should they have drafted in the first, second, and third rounds the past 3 years? Would you rather have Ras-I-Dowling, Aaron Williams, or Brandon Harris instead of Cameron Heyward? I wanted the Steelers to draft Curtis Brown in the 2nd round. Instead, they got him in the 3rd round and a potential franchise left tackle in the 2nd. Then they drafted ANOTHER CB in the 4th round.

The fact that I think either Tony Hills or Doug Legursky would have been an acceptable option for right now at RG says nothing more than that these are the two players that seem to be able to play best at RG and deliver at least an acceptable performance without being, well...Justin Hartwig. If you're so confident that you know that the Steelers would be a better team in 2011 and in 2015 if they would have selected CBs and OLs instead of certain other players over the past few years, then you need to provide some evidence for that. And then you have to acknowledge that you have the luxury of hindsight. For example, it would be ridiculous to say "the Steelers should have drafted Carl Nicks instead of Limas Sweed!".

BKAnthem
09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
We're talking about Urbik now, not two years ago or last year. And I highly doubt that you've been keeping up with the Bills' preseason. Besides, the trade allowed the Steelers to draft both Mike Wallace (a number 1 receiver and among the top 10 in the league, arguably) and Keenan Lewis (who looks to finally contribute significantly this year and hopefully improve one of the weaker units on this team).

I'm not sure if you said what you meant to say. You said it's not good if the first team line can mount a consistent push against first team defenses in the preseason. I'm pretty sure that is good. Also, Chris Scott apparently doesn't practice like he plays. :toofunny:

First of all, I didn't say I "don't have a problem with this line". What I was arguing was that there were not many other options for the Steelers in recent drafts that did not involve reaching for players that could have significantly improved the offensive line that they didn't make. In fact, here (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/09/time-machines-steelers-oline/)'s a post by the well-respected Steelers Lounge crew, looking back at recent drafts and what the Steelers could have gotten for the offensive line instead of who they ended up drafting. The overwhelming conclusion is that they pretty much always made the better decision in not reaching on a lineman. One of the few exceptions seems to be Marshall Yanda over Matt Spaeth in the 3rd round in 2007. The point is not that the offensive line is the best that it can be, but that in order for the Steelers to have drafted linemen higher in the draft in recent times, they not only would have missed out on some important cogs in the success that they do achieve now, but they would have had to have reached, more often than not, so they almost always made the prudent move to to resist the temptation to draft for 'need' and instead take the overall superior player.

Also, since you happen to be so down on Willie Colon, perhaps you should take a glance at this (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/15/three-year-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-linemen/). Also note there that Justin Hartwig was ranked the worst center in the league for allowing pressure on passing plays (Chris Kemoeatu was also ranked the worst among guards, which strengthens my argument that the Steelers should allow the season to play out with Legursky and then draft a guard to compete at whichever spot had the worse play. Kemo's spot should in no way be safe).

The defensive line is far more directly important to the overall success of the Steelers than the offensive line is, so I don't know what you're talking about. You think the Steelers didn't get lucky that Brett Keisel turned out to be a starter and not another 7th round garbage pick like Sunny Harris and Doug Worthington? They realize that if they want to keep winning with the core that they have now, then they have to replenish the strengths that they have now (like the DEs) with high quality replacements because the old guys are just about out the door. It's a hell of a lot easier to "get by" with average talent on the offensive line than it is to do so on the defensive line, especially for a team so dependent on their defensive dominance as the Steelers are. So on that point I have to completely disagree with you.

You can't just throw draft picks at positions of need and expect that your team will fall in place. That's like tossing a puzzle into the air and hoping the pieces land assembled into a coherent image. Do you actually think that if it was as simple as throwing high draft picks at weaker areas that the Steelers would do this? What cornerback should they have drafted in the first, second, and third rounds the past 3 years? Would you rather have Ras-I-Dowling, Aaron Williams, or Brandon Harris instead of Cameron Heyward? I wanted the Steelers to draft Curtis Brown in the 2nd round. Instead, they got him in the 3rd round and a potential franchise left tackle in the 2nd. Then they drafted ANOTHER CB in the 4th round.

The fact that I think either Tony Hills or Doug Legursky would have been an acceptable option for right now at RG says nothing more than that these are the two players that seem to be able to play best at RG and deliver at least an acceptable performance without being, well...Justin Hartwig. If you're so confident that you know that the Steelers would be a better team in 2011 and in 2015 if they would have selected CBs and OLs instead of certain other players over the past few years, then you need to provide some evidence for that. And then you have to acknowledge that you have the luxury of hindsight. For example, it would be ridiculous to say "the Steelers should have drafted Carl Nicks instead of Limas Sweed!".

Actually i wanted Derrick Sherrod OT in round one...but we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this argument...we've both said more than our piece