PDA

View Full Version : Bill Belichick’s Entire 2009 Season Miked Up For NFL Films Series

tony hipchest
08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
as a steelerfan, i pretty much despise the man and the team, but as a football fan i feel this will be pretty riveting and fascinating television as it is the 1st time any NFL coach has allowed themselves to be miked up for an entire season.

in the name of full disclosure and disspelling some of the notions and myths that surround him, i think this is a brilliant move on his part.

i will most certainly be tuning in-

http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/bill-belichicks-entire-2009-season-miked-up-for-nfl-films-series_b13660

Bill Belichick is a complicated man, perceived as the ultimate winner by some, and by others as the type who’d sell their own mother to win. He’s been the mastermind behind three Super Bowl titles with the Patriots, and before that was the defensive coordinator for two Giants title runs. He was also the villain in SpyGate, and the man who unabashedly wears hoodies for all occasions. David Halberstam‘s wonderful book, The Education of a Coach, peeled back some of the layers on the multifaceted Belichick, and a new NFL Films series promises to do the same. The two-part series, which airs Thursday Sept. 15, at 9 p.m. ET and Thursday, Sept. 22 at 10 p.m. ET, is the product of a yearlong project set in 2009, when Belichick agreed to let NFL Films put a microphone on him around the clock.

For those who say Belichick is a bloodless automaton, he does get choked up when discussing the destruction of Giants Stadium. So never let it be said he doesn’t have feelings towards public buildings.:chuckle:

ZoneBlitzer
09-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Just saw the program. I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed and even disappointed to hear the shtick from Belichick.

I thought this man was supposed to be a very cerebral coach etc. Even I thought that. I saw and more importantly heard nothing of the sort. I was surprised to see that he would use locker-room banter from other teams as bulletin board material. I honestly that that stuff was a bit of a myth only hyped by fans and the media and here's this 3-time SB winning coach relying on what comes out of the Dolphin's head coach to motivate his team. He's also kind of classless in dealing with the opposition. I heard him spitting out the f-bomb to Ed Reed along the sidelines. I just never expected this from this coach. Even his speeches are full of platitudes. He's totally bland. He's also a very regular guy. But he's gotten it done somehow. I think in this case it's a chemistry thing. He's a coach who has been blessed with the right players at the right time. And judging by the way they play, you'd have to say that he runs a tight ship and he's definitely a disciplinarian on the details. But I missed that bit in the airing of this program.

tony hipchest
09-23-2011, 02:31 PM
i agree. totally underwhelming and after you finally get through the 1st hour segment the 2nd hour seems pretty much boring and almost a chore to watch.

steelax04
09-23-2011, 04:39 PM
i agree. totally underwhelming and after you finally get through the 1st hour segment the 2nd hour seems pretty much boring and almost a chore to watch.

That's unfortunate, you had very high expectations and rightfully so. I totally forgot about it until the thread was bumped... any word on a replay? Wouldn't mind checking it out for myself.

tony hipchest
09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
its actually on right now. looks like next showing is sat nite 9pm est.

bland was a correct description. its really no more entertaining or insightful than if they done the exact same series with mike mccarthy (another HC i find especially dull).

to deliver on the concept, they really shoulda started with a HC that actually has personality such as tomlin, raheem morris,bigmouth ryan or jim schwartz. even t. coughlin woulda been less boring.

they really do nothing to shed light on why belichick has been such a successflu sb winning coach.

stb_steeler
09-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I had a hard time hearing his comments sometimes....Might have been a sock in his mouth. :noidea:

Steel4ever95
09-24-2011, 03:16 PM
I never knew this was on and I live in Maine lol, I figured I would have heard people talking about it up here. I will say the guy knows what he is doing, and is a great coach. I dont know if I would have watched the program though, I cant imagine he was right full of life on the program, he may just be the most boring person alive.

Kanata-Steeler
09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Too bad it wasn't the 07 season went they thought they'd " go all the way !", but fell short to the Giants in that SB.
If i remeber correctly Bellichoke didn't ecen shake Tom Conklin's hand as a gentleman -sore loser Billy should have got a "bad conduct" fine for that.

steeltheone
09-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I thought it was awesome!