PDA

View Full Version : Should have kept Thaddeus Gibson

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 12:21 AM
This is just disheartening. Here we see Mr. Jason Worilds (hated the pick btw) being incredibly slow off the snap and generating little to no pass rush over and over again. Very funny video though. Looks like James Harrison will in fact play out his contract.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=10688

Steelersfan87
08-31-2011, 12:36 AM
I agree that we should have kept Thaddeus Gibson. However, Worilds played well when he got into games last season. He also played well against the Falcons. He was in the QB's face multiple times. On the McClendon sack, he was right there to get it if McClendon didn't beat the guard to the point of attack and race head on into the QB.

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Why? Neither one of them have any stats at all through three preseason games. That makes Gibson the better pick because...

Edit: I take it back. Neither of them have any stats at all on NFL.com. But while Gibson has zero stats anywhere, Worilds is credited by the Steelers themselves with 12 solo tackles, 5 assists and two sacks. My assumption is that these numbers are from last year, so then we should compare those numbers to Gibson's from last year: 3 total tackles. Period.

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Why? Neither one of them have any stats at all through three preseason games. That makes Gibson the better pick because...

Two different scenarios on two entirely different teams. I don't even know if the Redskins have given him any time on the field yet. He has to learn a whole new playbook.

To answer your question, I thought Thaddeus was the better fit in Pittsburgh. He was already use to playing off the line and in space whereas Worilds was used exclusively as a DE. Even at V Tech, he had problems getting to the QB. I'm not surprised at what I'm seeing here.

Worilds also looks pretty lean for an OLB from the video. I'm not going to look up his weight but it looks like he can add a good 15 lbs of muscle.

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Woodley was a DE. It's a common transition. Oh, and by the way, they're the same height, and Worilds is 20 lbs. heavier.

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Woodley was a DE. It's a common transition. Oh, and by the way, they're the same height, and Worilds is 20 lbs. heavier.

Woodley is a freak of nature. He's absolutely massive for a 3-4 OLB. Normally linebackers like him that only use their brute strength to bullrush tackles don't last too long in the NFL.

And I'm not buying 262 lbs. at all on Worilds. He looks more lengthy than bulky. I think nfl.com is embellishing on it's stats or he lost a lot of weight in the offseason. Maybe it's that bizarre stance.

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 12:53 AM
i already nominate this post for one of Steeler Fever's end of season" "Idiot Post of the Year" award.

while worlids (who has actually accumulated 2 professional sacks) looks "slow" on game tape, OSU alumn, thad is looking slow and confused in airport secuity surveilance tapes, while in the airports of pittsburgh, san fransisco and washington.

perhaps him and veron gholston can start a clothing line together, in the near future.

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 12:57 AM
Woodley is a freak of nature. He's absolutely massive for a 3-4 OLB. Normally linebackers like him that only use their brute strength to bullrush tackles don't last too long in the NFL.

And I'm not buying 262 lbs. at all on Worilds. He looks more lengthy than bulky. I think nfl.com is embellishing on it's stats or he lost a lot of weight in the offseason. Maybe it's that bizarre stance.
:noidea:

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Two different scenarios on two entirely different teams. I don't even know if the Redskins have given him any time on the field yet. He has to learn a whole new playbook.

you "dont even know" is the opperative phrase.

redskins current LB coach was an assistant with the steelers. keyron fox attributes that to his easy transition to a new system.

how can you possibly say they are "entirely different " unless you dotn know what you are talking about?

mike shanahan has switched the redskins defense to a 3-4 modeled after the steelers. before he was hired as redskins coach he was a guest of the steelers in camp up at latrobe.

:popcorn:

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 01:01 AM
i already nominate this post for one of Steeler Fever's end of season" "Idiot Post of the Year" award.

while worlids (who has actually accumulated 2 professional sacks) looks "slow" on game tape, OSU alumn, thad is looking slow and confused in airport secuity surveilance tapes, while in the airports of pittsburgh, san fransisco and washington.

perhaps him and veron gholston can start a clothing line together, in the near future.

Right. The Steelers must have fooled the rest of the league putting a claim on him after he was released by the 49ers. Surely we didn't want him back. Shannahan and Lovie Smith were rickroll'd.

Baltimore sure fooled us after releasing Harrison. A guy who looked "slow and confused" going back and forth between the BWI and Pittsburgh International airports.

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 01:05 AM
Right. The Steelers must have fooled the rest of the league putting a claim on him after he was released by the 49ers. Shannahan and Lovie Smith were rickroll'd.

you know why lovie smith or mike shanahan didnt put in a claim for jason worilds?

wait...

wait for it.....

it is coming....

because his ass wasnt kicked to the curb in the 1st place! :rofl::

:thumbsup:

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Hmm...just like Harrison was kicked to the curb. Twice was it?

Did I just win the owned the moderator of the year award?

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 01:07 AM
you know why lovie smith or mike shanahan didnt put in a claim for jason worilds?

wait...

wait for it.....

it is coming....

because his ass wasnt kicked to the curb in the 1st place! :

:rofl::sofunny::rofl::sofunny::rofl::hatsoff:

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Jason Worilds wasn't kicked to the curb because he was a 2nd round pick (surely the Steelers FO can't screw up one of those). Before you say Gibson sucks more because he was a 4th rounder as opposed to a 2nd like an moron, I'll let you look up why his stock fell in the first place. When you have the Colts' GM parading about how good Worilds was in college (the same GM that drafts mediocre RBs in the first round), it seemed safer for them to try to hide a 4th rounder on the PS. Gibson wasn't waived or 'kicked to the curb' for his poor play in Pittsburgh. He was outperforming Worilds in the offseason and learning the defense much easier than Worilds.

49ers waiving him probably had more to do with them changing their coaching staff.

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 01:11 AM

:thumbsup:are you really comparing thad gibson to james harrison?

even the dumbest donkey can grasp at straw if they are hungry enough.

you win nothing.

= u lose.

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 01:16 AM
Jason Worilds wasn't kicked to the curb because he was a 2nd round pick. Before you say Gibson sucks more because he was a 4th rounder as opposed to a 2nd, I'll let you look up why his stock fell in the first place. When you have the Colts' GM parading about how good Worilds was in college, it seemed safer for them to try to hide a 4th rounder on the PS. Gibson wasn't waived or 'kicked to the curb' for his poor play in Pittsburgh. He was outperforming Worilds in the offseason. Learning the defense much easier than Worilds.

youre still upset that the steelers gave up on WR danny farmer, arent you?

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Answer this Tony (or your buttbuddy Ricardo), why would the Steelers put a claim to a guy that was kicked to the curb? Especially when we have Jason Worilds and just drafted Chris Carter in the 5th round this year. I'd love to hear your thoughts and not just "you're an idiot hehehehe." I can't believe you're a moderator on this forum. Just sad. As bad as thumper was, at least he gave some of his opinions instead of just trashing others.

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 01:25 AM
are you really comparing thad gibson to james harrison?

even the dumbest donkey can grasp at straw if they are hungry enough.

you win nothing.

= u lose.

Yeah obviously Thaddeus Gibson is a James Harrison clone. Are you ****ing retarded? I'm comparing the scenarios of James Harrison jumping around from team to team and getting cut by the Steelers.

God, how old are you 16? Absolutely sad. No wonder this site is going downhill.

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 01:26 AM
youre still upset that the steelers gave up on WR danny farmer, arent you?

Yeah great post that has nothing to do with anything. Shitty moderator who brings no substance to the site. Did you make the smiley's or something? Is that how you got brought in?

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 01:30 AM
Answer this Tony (or your buttbuddy Ricardo), why would the Steelers put a claim to a guy that was kicked to the curb? Especially when we have Jason Worilds and just drafted Chris Carter in the 5th round this year. I'd love to hear your thoughts and not just "you're an idiot hehehehe." I can't believe you're a moderator on this forum. Just sad. As bad as thumper was, at least he gave some of his opinions instead of just trashing others.

its called" camp competition". especially in a season when their is no minicamps or OTA's.

the proof is in the pudding.... your boy was dumped by 2 teams in less than a calendar year before the steelers put in claims for him.

the steelers drafted carter in april, and to this point sounds to be a better pick than yo boy thad ever was.

just because you call urself dan rooney on da internetz doenst make you an expert (or even a diaper dandy for that matter).

since we;re being candid, i find your posts rather weak, with no forethought whatsoever. :hunch:

:drink:

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Yeah great post that has nothing to do with anything. Shitty moderator who brings no substance to the site. Did you make the smiley's or something? Is that how you got brought in?

:jerkit:

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 01:35 AM
its called" camp competition". especially in a season when their is no minicamps or OTA's.

the proof is in the pudding.... your boy was dumped by 2 teams in less than a calendar year before the steelers put in claims for him.

the steelers drafted carter in april, and to this point sounds to be a better pick than yo boy thad ever was.

just because you call urself dan rooney on da internetz doenst make you an expert (or even a diaper dandy for that matter).

since we;re being candid, i find your posts rather weak, with no forethought whatsoever. :hunch:

:drink:

Oh yeah makes sense that's why we went after another OLB when we couldn't grab Gibson on the waiver wire. Wait. Or maybe it was because Jason Worilds has been playing like shit? Oh lord that couldn't possibly be it. You can't talk about a guy underperforming on the Steelers. Not on steelersfever.com.

Chris Carter was a good pickup for the 5th round. Not going to argue with that.

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 01:39 AM
. You can't talk about a guy underperforming on the Steelers. Not on steelersfever.com.

Chris Carter was a good pickup for the 5th round. Not going to argue with that. i dont care if you trash me, but if youre gonna trash the site like that you can get the **** out..

consider that a warning and a polite bit of advice. :tt02:

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 01:41 AM
[ticktockticktockticktockticktock...]

tony hipchest
08-31-2011, 01:47 AM

i'll take "what is big ben ready to drop the big hammer" for $100, alex.

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 01:49 AM
i'll take "what is big ben ready to drop the big hammer" for $100, alex.
That's a Video Daily Double!!!!!!!

2PFK7pXgWGs

:thumbsup: :tt03: :hatsoff:

Kingmagyar
08-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Worilds should be dominating against the inferior competition he is going against. If your gong to replace a James Harrison you need to be a lot better against 2nd and 3rd teamers. The Steelers better find somebody because Harrison I think is fading fast.

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2011, 06:54 AM

So you trash Tony on the grounds he allegedly trashes others in his posts (which you are doing to Tony with a drive by slam of "buttboy Ricardo") - stay classy

Gibson was released by the 49ers, who are not exactly swinming in talent at LB, but because the Steelers picked Gibson on waivers after the 49ers released him, that thereby establishes Gibson (whom the Steelers let go last year to keep Smith off IR) is a better fit for the Steelers D than Worlds (whom the Steelers kept when Gibson was picked up on waivers)?

That makes perfect sense:noidea:

Good luck at Steelers Universe or whereever your next posting home will soon be

Steelers>NFL
08-31-2011, 07:04 AM
Why all the love for this jabroni, Gibson? Is it because he played for OSU? Geez. enough already.
He could not make the 49er"s team. Let alone the lineup. and Steelers are far better stocked at LB then
49ers. Move on. He is not that good!

3rdandlong
08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
He makes it sound as if Thaddeus is the next James Harrison. The few times that Worilds got in the game last year, I don't think he looked bad. He was usually brought in on third and very long but he still managed to pressure the quarterback most of the time, as I remember. He hasn't looked great this preseason, but I'm not ready to give up on him

MDSteel15
08-31-2011, 08:11 AM

No because it was 3 times he was cut before the roids kicked in!!! :thumbsup:

ETL
08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree with Tony. This is a stupid post.

It assumes that since we know nothing about Gibson, he must be better than Worlds whom we see developing right under our nose.

I am quite pleased with Worilds and i think he will be a beast in a few years.

The OP should reveal any biases for submitting such a ridiculous thought such as "i am an Ohio state alum." as that will explain your brain fart.

sbbound
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM

Dude.. you didn't own anyone. The Steelers putting a claim in on Thad after he was cut by San Fran says nothing about what they think of Worilds.. or that they think they may have had another James Harrison in him. It sounds like you just wanted to argue, and you didn't really explore the facts. With the loss of Keyaron Fox, Larry Foote is your only back up LB with experience, and he's not exactly a spring chicken. The Steelers need every potential LB they can get. So it's not suprising they put a claim in on someone who at least partially knows the defensive playbook.

I thought this seemed fairly obvious

finesward
08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
I seem to remember another high draft pick @ LB that was slow to develop and was being touted as a bust his first couple of years....

Seeing as he is being called one of the best up and coming ILB's in the game and just got locked up for 6 years I'm perfectly fine if Worilds takes a couple years to get going.

We rarely miss @ LB, and even if he does bust, there will be someone right behind him waiting to flourish (reason for stocking up LB's I'd imagine)

Lets wait till the games start counting before we say harrison is slowing down too. I've noticed he hasn't been much of a factor, but it also looks like he really isnt trying all that hard. Maybe trying to take it easy on his back? Whatever the reason, if he doesn't start salivating to get at Flacco week 1 then we can start worrying.

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Vernon Gholston's available. He's a Buckeye. He must be good. Let's cut Worilds and sign Gholston.

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Vernon Gholston's available. He's a Buckeye. He must be good. Let's cut Worilds and sign Gholston.

Never too late to admit the Steelers should never have let Ohio St grad Mike Vrabel go to the Pats - let's bring Vrabel back out of retirement

ricardisimo
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Never too late to admit the Steelers should never have let Ohio St grad Mike Vrabel go to the Pats - let's bring Vrabel back out of retirement
And I still think we should have taken Morris Bradshaw in '74 instead of that slacker Swann.

In all seriousness, though, when all you have in front of you is All-Pros - as was the case with Vrabel, Gibson and that "horrible pick" Worilds - it's quite a compliment to stick with the team in any capacity, but I'm not sure anything at all should be read into being cut. :twocents:

Buddha Bus
08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/3734764530.gif

Fire Arians
08-31-2011, 04:57 PM
jason gilDong worilds lol

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 04:58 PM
The point in this thread is showing how Worilds has been sucking ass. He hasn't been showing flashes of greatness like Stevenson Sylvester has. I'd be pretty worried if a hopeful successor to the most complete linebacker in the game has pretty much been a nonfactor.

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 05:00 PM
jason gilDong worilds lol

StillMill is a genius ahead of his time :chuckle:

DanRooney
08-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Dude.. you didn't own anyone. The Steelers putting a claim in on Thad after he was cut by San Fran says nothing about what they think of Worilds.. or that they think they may have had another James Harrison in him. It sounds like you just wanted to argue, and you didn't really explore the facts. With the loss of Keyaron Fox, Larry Foote is your only back up LB with experience, and he's not exactly a spring chicken. The Steelers need every potential LB they can get. So it's not suprising they put a claim in on someone who at least partially knows the defensive playbook.

I thought this seemed fairly obvious

If experience had any part to play in this, they wouldn't of tried to pick up Thaddeus Gibson. A guy who's seen less time than Worilds on the field.

sbbound
08-31-2011, 10:51 PM
If experience had any part to play in this, they wouldn't of tried to pick up Thaddeus Gibson. A guy who's seen less time than Worilds on the field.

What are you even trying to say here? The Steelers scouted and drafted this guy, and due to an unfortunate need to call up a d-lineman for a game, had to sacrifice Gibson, hoping he would clear waivers and they could bring him back in. That didn't happen, so it's no surpise they took a stab at him after the Niners cut him. But again, that says nothing about Worilds or Harrison. The Steelers' brass obviously values Gibson's ability and potential. When did I say anything about experience beyond mentioning Foote as the only back up LB with true experience in the NFL?

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2011, 12:44 AM
am i on the clock ? guess i'll need a new player soon....:sofunny:

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 12:54 AM
What are you even trying to say here? The Steelers scouted and drafted this guy, and due to an unfortunate need to call up a d-lineman for a game, had to sacrifice Gibson, hoping he would clear waivers and they could bring him back in. That didn't happen, so it's no surpise they took a stab at him after the Niners cut him. But again, that says nothing about Worilds or Harrison. The Steelers' brass obviously values Gibson's ability and potential. When did I say anything about experience beyond mentioning Foote as the only back up LB with true experience in the NFL?

I was saying the exact same thing you are saying. The Steelers never wanted to cut Gibson. Tony Stark over here thinks that him being cut by a 49ers team going through new coaching personnel and us having to make room for another defensive lineman makes Gibson scrub (and that both teams 'canned his ass.') I'm implying that attempting to bring him back in the offseason is sending a message to Worilds (who has nonexistant) and proving the Steelers never wanted to let Gibson go.

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2011, 01:37 AM
First stint with Steelers

Harris was drafted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft) by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers) in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft). He was waived during final cuts on September 4.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=6)] Carolina Panthers

Harris was claimed off waivers by the Carolina Panthers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Panthers) on September 6, 2009. He made his regular season debut against the Atlanta Falcons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Falcons), recording one assisted tackle. After playing two games for the Panthers, the team waived Harris on October 1 to make room for veteran defensive tackle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_tackle) Hollis Thomas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollis_Thomas). The Panthers re-signed Harris to the practice squad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_squad) on October 3.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=7)] Second stint with Steelers

Harris was signed off the Panthers practice squad on October 14, 2009 by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers), the team that drafted him. Harris replaced Aaron Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Smith_%28American_football%29), who went on injured reserve. He was waived on September 4, 2010.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=8)] Buffalo Bills

Harris was claimed off waivers by the Buffalo Bills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills) on October 6, 2010 and placed on their practice squad.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=9)] Third stint with Steelers

The Steelers signed Harris to their practice squad on November 3, 2010 after defensive end Al Woods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Woods_%28American_football%29) was signed off their practice squad by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers).[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%27Shon_Harris#cite_note-1)

BKAnthem
09-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Harris was drafted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft) by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers) in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft). He was waived during final cuts on September 4.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=6)] Carolina Panthers

Harris was claimed off waivers by the Carolina Panthers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Panthers) on September 6, 2009. He made his regular season debut against the Atlanta Falcons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Falcons), recording one assisted tackle. After playing two games for the Panthers, the team waived Harris on October 1 to make room for veteran defensive tackle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_tackle) Hollis Thomas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollis_Thomas). The Panthers re-signed Harris to the practice squad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_squad) on October 3.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=7)] Second stint with Steelers

Harris was signed off the Panthers practice squad on October 14, 2009 by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers), the team that drafted him. Harris replaced Aaron Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Smith_%28American_football%29), who went on injured reserve. He was waived on September 4, 2010.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=8)] Buffalo Bills

Harris was claimed off waivers by the Buffalo Bills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills) on October 6, 2010 and placed on their practice squad.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ra%27Shon_Harris&action=edit&section=9)] Third stint with Steelers

The Steelers signed Harris to their practice squad on November 3, 2010 after defensive end Al Woods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Woods_%28American_football%29) was signed off their practice squad by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers).[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%27Shon_Harris#cite_note-1)

What does this have to do with Thaddeus Gibson?

finesward
09-01-2011, 01:50 PM

About as much as what Thaddeus Gibson has to do with Worilds. :noidea:

You start a thread with your purpose to show how bad Worilds is playing by saying we should of kept another player who was cut? Sounds very thumperish. Why not just say your concerned with how Worilds is developing and be done with it? Maybe this would help?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pPYCX-TwMrI/R7fyQxqdN-I/AAAAAAAAAkM/P6t4w_yiwHU/s400/Woulda_Coulda_Shoulda.jpg

ricardisimo
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Actually, it has everything to do with Gibson, especially vis vis this thread. Shit happens, people get cut, picked up, traded, whatever. The basic point is this: (James Harrison notwithstanding) if Gibson is the next Lawrence Taylor, you'd think he'd be on a team right now.

ETL
09-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Just because we want a guy back here a second time does not mean that he's automatically a super star talent.

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Actually, it has everything to do with Gibson, especially vis vis this thread. Shit happens, people get cut, picked up, traded, whatever. The basic point is this: (James Harrison notwithstanding) if Gibson is the next Lawrence Taylor, you'd think he'd be on a team right now.

Let me get this clear; I do not think Thaddeus Gibson is the next James Harrison let alone LT. And I'm not an OSU fan. I actually live in Virginia so I'm more of a Hokie fan than anything else. I liked Gibson's upside when we drafted him and thought he'd push Worilds for the backup role. I absolutely hated the Worilds pick. He was great at getting pressure in college but he never really got there in time. I think he had a grand total of 2 sacks in his last year. I was pushing for Cody or Tate in that spot.

I obviously do not think he is a super star talent not having played at all. But I think what he offers could be better than what Worilds is showing now; and that's PURELY based on his OSU days (so I could absolutely be wrong). I'm not saying cut Worilds either. If anything, if he picked up Gibson I'd want Chris Carter sent to the PS. I really haven't heard anything positive about him.

Buddha Bus
09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Just because we want a guy back here a second time does not mean that he's automatically a super star talent.

Case in point..... Trai Essex. :thumbsup:

Steelersfan87
09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Let me get this clear; I do not think Thaddeus Gibson is the next James Harrison let alone LT. And I'm not an OSU fan. I actually live in Virginia so I'm more of a Hokie fan than anything else. I liked Gibson's upside when we drafted him and thought he'd push Worilds for the backup role. I absolutely hated the Worilds pick. He was great at getting pressure in college but he never really got there in time. I think he had a grand total of 2 sacks in his last year. I was pushing for Cody or Tate in that spot.

I obviously do not think he is a super star talent not having played at all. But I think what he offers could be better than what Worilds is showing now; and that's PURELY based on his OSU days (so I could absolutely be wrong). I'm not saying cut Worilds either. If anything, if he picked up Gibson I'd want Chris Carter sent to the PS. I really haven't heard anything positive about him.

You haven't heard anything positive about Chris Carter? I've read plenty of positive things about him, including a few mentioning him as one of the steals of the draft (recently, not post-draft).

By the way, what is your source for the Steelers using Sylvester outside? I have not read this personally on any of the sites that I follow.

MasterOfPuppets
09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
BINGO !!!:applaudit:

i thought it was pretty obvious what i was hinting at considering the pro gibson argument was "they wanted him back , so he must be special "

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-01-2011, 05:54 PM

Exactly.

We cut poor Sunny.
We brought Sunny back... so, obviously, Colbert thought that either Ziggy, the Snackmeister, somebody... wasn't playing up to snuff... just wasn't cutting it, wasn't getting it done.

So, we had to have Sunny back.

Or, we wouldn't have brought Sunny back 3 times.

Crystal clear. :tt04:

BKAnthem
09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
About as much as what Thaddeus Gibson has to do with Worilds. :noidea:

You start a thread with your purpose to show how bad Worilds is playing by saying we should of kept another player who was cut? Sounds very thumperish. Why not just say your concerned with how Worilds is developing and be done with it? Maybe this would help?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pPYCX-TwMrI/R7fyQxqdN-I/AAAAAAAAAkM/P6t4w_yiwHU/s400/Woulda_Coulda_Shoulda.jpg

Umm..i didn't start the thread...

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Case in point..... Trai Essex. :thumbsup:

Trai Essex was brought back for depth due to poor play at right tackle. Just like something that could be happening at backup ROLB...

Case in point...the attempt to bring back Thaddeus Gibson.

And Trai Essex was another stupid signing tbh.

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Exactly.

We cut poor Sunny.
We brought Sunny back... so, obviously, Colbert thought that either Ziggy, the Snackmeister, somebody... wasn't playing up to snuff... just wasn't cutting it, wasn't getting it done.

So, we had to have Sunny back.

Or, we wouldn't have brought Sunny back 3 times.

Crystal clear. :tt04:

Actually Ziggy had a pretty craptastic 2009. He was pretty unspectacular until the last half of last season. It took him a while to transition from his 4-3 DT role in college. But as for Harris, they were trying to inject youth at the DE position. This was before Heyward (who will be much better than Ziggy imo).

ETL
09-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Trai Essex was brought back for depth due to poor play at right tackle. Just like something that could be happening at backup ROLB...

Case in point...the attempt to bring back Thaddeus Gibson.

And Trai Essex was another stupid signing tbh.

I think trying to bring back Thaddeus Gibson had nothing,, absolutely nothing to do with Worilds.

For Gods sakes, they drafted both Worilds and Gibson in the same draft year - does that mean that the Steelers think they made a mistake in the 2nd round with Worilds and took Gibson in the 4th because they wanted to send a message to Worilds?

More than likely, they still see Gibson as a player with potential - probably more potential than Baraka Adkins, Mario Harvey or Chris McCoy - the other LBs in camp. Its a numbers game in a way. You roll the dice and see what you can hit. If you can roll with more higher level players - you have a greater chance to find a keeper.

Again, IMO, making a bid for Gibson had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Worilds.

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I think trying to bring back Thaddeus Gibson had nothing,, absolutely nothing to do with Worilds.

For Gods sakes, they drafted both Worilds and Gibson in the same draft year - does that mean that the Steelers think they made a mistake in the 2nd round with Worilds and took Gibson in the 4th because they wanted to send a message to Worilds?

More than likely, they still see Gibson as a player with potential - probably more potential than Baraka Adkins, Mario Harvey or Chris McCoy - the other LBs in camp. Its a numbers game in a way. You roll the dice and see what you can hit. If you can roll with more higher level players - you have a greater chance to find a keeper.

Again, IMO, making a bid for Gibson had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Worilds.

Fair opinion.

tony hipchest
09-01-2011, 11:15 PM
looks like thad gibson had a monster audition for the redskins in their final preseason game. :rofl:

his stat line read like this- 0-0-0.

either he sucks so bad he couldnt even sniff the field or register even an assisted tackle vs. tampa bay's 2nd,3rd, &4th stringers, or they were letting him rest with boarder line hall of famer and pro-bowler, london fletcher, in preparation for the regular season.

could it be they didnt want him to get injured?

were they afraid telegraph his incredible skills to the rest of the league and allow them a chance to gameplan against him?

please tell me again why we should have kept a player who we can pick up at anytime off the streets when he is (soon to be) cut from his 3rd team in less than a year?

:hunch:

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Actually Ziggy had a pretty craptastic 2009. He was pretty unspectacular until the last half of last season. It took him a while to transition from his 4-3 DT role in college. But as for Harris, they were trying to inject youth at the DE position. This was before Heyward (who will be much better than Ziggy imo).

My point was that bringing back Sunny Harris was unrelated to the questionable play of Ziggy. Yes, Ziggy struggled, but he has a world of potential - kind of like Timmons, who was labeled a bust on here...

Sunny was hovering as the 53rd best player, and his inclusion / exclusion from the roster had nothing to do with Ziggy's struggles. We were just trying to find the best 53 men.

The same with Gibson - we wanted to add him to the mix, to see if he was a better option than who we had in camp. If he - and enough of the others - outplayed Worilds to the extent that Worilds wasn't among the best 53, than he would have replaced Worilds.

But bringing in Gibson wasn't an indication that the FO was specifically displeased with Worilds' play. Not at all.

finesward
09-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Umm..i didn't start the thread...

umm i know, thats why i started another paragraph, my apologies it should of started, DEAR DAN,

I didn't quote him because i assumed you would understand the last part was for the person who did start the thread since the "you" i was addressing was the person who "starts a thread complaining..."

Again much apologies, ill try to clean things up on my end

Steeldude
09-02-2011, 11:38 AM
This is just disheartening. Here we see Mr. Jason Worilds (hated the pick btw) being incredibly slow off the snap and generating little to no pass rush over and over again.

sounds like woodley 8 or more games out of the year :chuckle: worilds is no worse than gildon so why not keep him another year? has carter shown anything to take his spot?

pete74
09-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I got into it a few times with Rooney but we DO NOT ban people here for disagreeing with a mod. I urge everyone to treat the mods the same way you treat everyone else here. Were no better and nothing special. Were just here because we love the steelers and love the board. Now let's get ready for the steelers. GO STEELERS

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 02:37 PM
:tt03:

tony hipchest
11-30-2011, 08:16 PM
while jasom worilds has been "underpreforming" and leading the team in sacks and QB pressures last week-

for atleast the 3rd time this season the steelers pass on thad gibson, and re-sign LB morty ivy back to the practice squad this morning. (ivy was elevated to the 53 man roster earlier in the season during harrison and farriors injuries and then subsequently released a few weeks ago.)

all is not lost for the OSU sack king street FA phenom though! after watching him rot on the couch for 2 months the bears finally get their man and just signed him to their practice squad. :cheer:

will this be the kick start his "james harrison like" career needs or will it take a few more teams to shitcan him? only one of the 5 members of his fanclub can truly say. :hunch:

in other former steelers LB's that the steelers have absolutely no interest in news the bengals ended their 3 week experiment with bruce davis and released him from their practice squad 2 days ago (they obviously didnt replace him with homestate hero thad).

so while this day should be about morty ivy amongst steeler nation, the bears are about to unleash greatness upon the nfl.

i am marking this date on history when steelerfans will look back and say we made the biggest personnel mistake of this century and possibly all time.

there is the day we let johnny unitas leave pgh.
there is the day we drafted gabe rivera over dan marino.
and then there is today.

DanRooney
11-30-2011, 08:32 PM
And Hines Ward is better than Larry Fitzgerald.

Fire Brown. He droppped a pass last week.

Fire Arians
11-30-2011, 09:18 PM
here we go again lol

tony hipchest
11-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Fire Brown. He droppped a pass last week.pretty weak (and irrelevant) strawman.

youre the only one who said hines was better than larry and youre the only one to suggest hines needed to be fired.

so what's your point?

please stay on topic, and dont become consumed with fury and anger. this thread is about FORMER steeler LB thad gibson, and my post is about CURRENT steeler UDFA morty ivy (who supplanted him and obviously shows more "promise and potential").

welcome back morty! :tt04:

good luck to our failed draft pick's as they embark on their post nfl careers.

heres to current players solidly holding down a roster spot, whether we "liked" the pick or not.

heres to e. sanders taking the kick return duties from brown for a second consecutive week.

heres to not being a hater. :drink:

Bayz101
11-30-2011, 10:48 PM

Fire Brown. He droppped a pass last week.

3 things. Get off Gibson's jock. Fire Wallace, not Brown. And have a nice day.