PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature

SteelCityMom
08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature
By Mark Kaboly (mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Doug Legursky started 36 games at Marshall, where he registered 235 knockdowns and 23 touchdown-resulting blocks while allowing only four sacks. That placed him at the top of the list for both the Rimington Award and Outland Trophy.

Legursky was sure to be selected somewhere during the 2008 NFL Draft until his Pro Day rolled around.

Legursky was listed at 6-foot-3 in college. When he was measured at his Pro Day, he came in two inches shorter.

Legursky went from a sure-fire draft choice to an undrafted rookie free-agent selection of the Steelers, with little chance of making the 53-man roster and an even harder time making an impression on his coach.

"A couple years ago, I admit that he wasn't much to look at," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Now, Legursky is Tomlin's starting right guard.

"Even out of high school and going into college and into the league, (my height) has been a part of my career," Legursky said. "It is going to continue my entire life, so I am not going to worry about it now."

With the offensive lines around the league getting bigger especially in the interior the Steelers are comfortable with employing the shortest starting guard in the NFL.

Legursky was moved to the top of the depth chart Monday and will start tomorrow in the Steelers' final preseason game against Carolina.

Barring injury or unforeseen misfortune, Legrusky will start the season opener at Baltimore.

Read more: Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754290.html#ixzz1WcblcAj8) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754290.html#ixzz1WcblcAj8

skinart82
08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm actually pulling for this dude, good attitude, works hard and with a name like Lugursky you have to be the man!

BKAnthem
09-01-2011, 03:52 AM
So if Legursky starts opening day that means we have 3 Tackles(2 drafted, 1 FA) who suck at being tackles and couldn't crack the starting lineup after being moved to guard...wow....

BIGNASTY91
09-01-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm actually pulling for this dude, good attitude, works hard and with a name like Lugursky you have to be the man!

Me too!! :thumbsup: :tt03: :tt03:

kirklandrules
09-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Pound for pound, Legursky is probably our strongest o-lineman. So let's just review:
He has the best understanding of the offensive line scheme and how to attack the defense
He's the strongest
He's athletic enough (great feet) to play short yardage fullback
In his first NFL start at the center position, he neutralized a rising start at NT

I'm just surprised he wasn't the clear #1 candidate for RG coming into the preseason. :noidea:

Wallabeast17
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I thought I heard he has all the "tools" it's that he is "to" short to play guard in the NFL...?