PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' DBs absorbing Carnell knowledge

SteelCityMom
09-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Steelers' DBs absorbing Carnell knowledge
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 1, 2011
Last updated: 9:23 am

Beads of sweat form on his shaved head, but they don't stop Carnell Lake from hopping back into line during so-called ladder drills.

The sight of Lake joining players he has a two-decade head start on some of them when it comes to celebrating birthdays after a recent practice is hardly an uncommon one.

Working out or running with them has been a regular occurrence since Lake became the latest addition to Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's staff.

"He runs around a little bit, backpedals and shows us some things (proving) that he still has it," Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said.

If Lake's performance as a coach comes close to matching what he accomplished as a player, the Steelers' secondary will be in good hands.

The team's first-year defensive back coach excelled as a safety and a cornerback for the Steelers in the 1990s, giving him instant credibility with the players under his watch.

The one thing the 44-year-old Lake lacks is a coaching resume of any discernible length.

He spent a year coaching the defensive backs at UCLA, his alma mater, in 2009. Lake also completed training camp internships with the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay before Tomlin brought him back to Pittsburgh.

That is pretty much the extent of his football coaching experience.

Fortunately for Lake and the Steelers, a veteran coaching staff has been helping him get acclimated to his new job. And he can always lean on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau for whom he once played and whose style he plans to emulate.

Said Lake on what he told his players during training camp: "I'm not going to be hollering and screaming at you. I expect you to act like professionals, I expect you to play like professionals and I'm going to treat you like professionals."

That is the approach Lake took as a player and is a big reason why LeBeau reached out to him when former defensive backs coach Ray Horton left to become the Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator.

"He's one of the highest character players we've ever had around here," LeBeau said of Lake. "He obviously has the skill and the knowledge to convey to these young players what to do and when to do it."

Read more: Steelers' DBs absorbing Carnell knowledge - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754445.html#ixzz1WiVyN1ik) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754445.html#ixzz1WiVyN1ik

smheart78
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Another Steeler to Arizona? Sheesh

BKAnthem
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Good riddance and great Addition...Lake was a superior player to Horton...and he'll be a superior coach

BIGNASTY91
09-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Lake is certainly going to turn our secondary around this year i believe! :tt04: :tt04:

smheart78
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Just don't play Gay, I just rewatched the SB 45 loss to Green Bay. We had the 3 turnovers, granted, but it was Gay that was the torture to watch. No more!

solardave
09-01-2011, 02:17 PM
You can already see the difference. Any player who starts at Safety and can switch to Corner when we needed him to has some serious skills. If he can pass some of his wisdom on (and it looks like he can) our defense should be much better in pass coverage.

Fire Arians
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Just don't play Gay, I just rewatched the SB 45 loss to Green Bay. We had the 3 turnovers, granted, but it was Gay that was the torture to watch. No more!

actually i hope he starts and gets hit with the injury bug like the rest of the NFL then we won't have to worry about him this season

Rick5895
09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Good riddance and great Addition...Lake was a superior player to Horton...and he'll be a superior coach

I had to re read this post a couple of time, , I couldn't believe you posted something positive. It didn't hurt did it??

:applaudit:

:tt04:

Steeldude
09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
maybe lake will teach them the fundamentals. it seems horton did no such thing. i am happy he is gone.

55BaileyFan
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Horton obviously wasn't changing anything. The best secondary coach we had in the past was Darren Perry and then Tomlin let him go (even though the late season losses where Tomlins fault) and then he went to the Raiders and turned that secondary around.

I hope his former teamate (Lake) can turn in all around.

BKAnthem
09-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I had to re read this post a couple of time, , I couldn't believe you posted something positive. It didn't hurt did it??

:applaudit:

:tt04:

:toofunny: