PDA

View Full Version : Young DB's vs Panthers

sbbound
09-02-2011, 01:28 AM
How did the young DBs do tonight? I was unable to watch the game. I was definitely hoping one of them would begin to emerge as someone we can depend on.

pete74
09-02-2011, 04:10 AM
both rookies played pretty damn good from what i saw. they each had 2 or 3 pass deflections i belive. cortez tipped a pass that was picked off

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 04:55 AM
They did look good. Mind you, this game was custom-designed to build their confidence, since it was not only Carolina, but 2nd- and 3rd-string Carolina. Still, a nice job.

Would have been nice to shut out Newton, but that was on Mundy and Clark, not the rookies at all. Butler gave up the long TD to Clowney, but since none of their last names are Gay, they'll all be spared any criticism. :noidea:

effyou515
09-02-2011, 05:25 AM
I didn't get to see the game but I would like to see these young CBs get into the groove of the defense.

Kingmagyar
09-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Cortez Allen was on his guys tight. For a guy that hadn't played yet and not practiced at all he showed a lot of potential. Steelers can't risk waiving him, as he looked really good.

Rick5895
09-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Cortez Allen was on his guys tight. For a guy that hadn't played yet and not practiced at all he showed a lot of potential. Steelers can't risk waiving him, as he looked really good.
I dont think he will be waived, I have a feeling we are going to see a veteran let go. (Gay, or W. Allen)

SteeleReign
09-02-2011, 07:23 AM
I missed portions of the game, but the guy I seemed to notice quite a bit was Curtis Brown. He was everywhere. I like what I see with this kid.

solardave
09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
You know for the last 3 years we've all been saying the FO needs to address the secondary. Because they didn't spend first round money we thought they were ignoring the problem. Along comes Carnell Lake and look who follows. All these later round DB's playing pretty well. WHO KNEW?

Rick5895
09-02-2011, 09:15 AM
I missed portions of the game, but the guy I seemed to notice quite a bit was Curtis Brown. He was everywhere. I like what I see with this kid.

I have said it on an earlier thread, Brown may just be able to make a move to Safety. Good ball instincts, likes to hit, you never know.

BKAnthem
09-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Butler got burned on one deep TD pass but overall had a good game

GMU Steeler
09-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the report guys. I didn't catch the game last night. Would be great if we could find another Ike Taylor out of these guys. I expect them to keep Cortez Allen. Tomlin, Lake, and Colbert really seemed high on his potential when talking about him when we drafted him.

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I have said it on an earlier thread, Brown may just be able to make a move to Safety. Good ball instincts, likes to hit, you never know.

Why the hell would Curtis Brown move to safety? That's ridiculous. He was drafted to be a starting cornerback. I don't see why Will Allen or Ryan Mundy would be in jeopardy of losing their roster spots.

finesward
09-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Who was it that laid the wood on the panthers 2nd or 3rd string RB? Knocked him out of the game I believe, was a clean hit too, which is nice to see.

I can't say I paid special attention to last nights game, but noticed a couple guys who stood out. Overall solid game by the CB backups

Fire Arians
09-02-2011, 11:44 AM

a little undersized for safety imo. he has good speed for the cornerback position and is good at shadowing his man. why move to safety? the best corner-safety candidate would probably be keenan lewis but i doubt that would happen.

i wanted to see more of macho harris. i thought he could compete for a backup safety position, we need depth there. im not really sold on mundy yet

cortez allen has a lot of talent. he might prove to be starter material in a few years. curtis brown maybe next year, i really like this kid. i think butler was doing well also except the long pass he got beat on. he's a gambler who is a little too eager at jumping routes, he has to learn to be a little more patient at the NFL level

SunshineMan21
09-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm kinda hoping Gay goes instead of one of the young guys. Brown, Warren, and Butler have all outplayed Gay in the preseason, imo.

Fire Arians
09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm kinda hoping Gay goes instead of one of the young guys. Brown, Warren, and Butler have all outplayed Gay in the preseason, imo.

my thoughts exactly

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Like I said, none of those guys are named Gay, so they can give up as many long bombs and whiff as many tackles as they like - against the Panthers no less - and not worry about catching any flak. Instead, let's start the Gay-bashing. It's weird. I don't even like the guy, but it's weird all the same.

If we wanted to convert someone to safety we would have drafted his counterpart at Texas, Aaron Williams.

pete74
09-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Agreed. Gay gets burnt every week. We have players that give up big plays here and there but gay consistently does it. If we drop him I bet nobody pickeven as a backup. Well maybe arizona will

BKAnthem
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Like I said, none of those guys are named Gay, so they can give up as many long bombs and whiff as many tackles as they like - against the Panthers no less - and not worry about catching any flak. Instead, let's start the Gay-bashing. It's weird. I don't even like the guy, but it's weird all the same.

Gay does that ALL the time though

Rick5895
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Why the hell would Curtis Brown move to safety? That's ridiculous. He was drafted to be a starting cornerback. I don't see why Will Allen or Ryan Mundy would be in jeopardy of losing their roster spots.

Settle down there buddy, it is an opinion, IMO Brown would make a good safety as well as good CB. I think the Steelers need to "cull" some vets, one of the backup safeties would be a good place to start along with Gay.

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't give the right to be an ass. Way too much of that going on on these boards.

Rick5895
09-02-2011, 02:21 PM

If we wanted to convert someone to safety we would have drafted his counterpart at Texas, Aaron Williams.

Butler got toasted because he was looking for another pic and jumped a route. A common mistake by even the best corners. I do agree on the point about Brown, but I also think he would be an intriguing possibility at safety. Just an opinion from what I have seen so far.
No matter what, the Steelers have to keep these kids, and cut 1 or 2 vets. We might just be pleasantly surprised by playing some of these kids. Let Carnell coach em up and see what they can do. With the offense we appear to have this season we are going to score some points, might be worth a gamble. If it works and these kids rise up then a seventh title is ours, if it doesn't and we merely make the playoffs, we will be better for it next season.

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Gay does that ALL the time though
But he hasn't. Gay and Lewis have been the starting corners for our starting D this entire preseason. Aside from the Washington game, where everybody shat the bed top to bottom, those two have done a decent job shutting down the passing game. Meanwhile, the guys that you want to put in front of Gay have made the likes of Mike Kafka and Chris Redman look like Hall-of-Famers.

I think Gay's worst game was probably Atlanta, where he only gave up two or three passes, but also had three or four passes defensed and a QB pressure to boot. Don't take my word for it; go over the play-by-play. That same game, Keenan Lewis gave up twice as many passes and drew an unsportsmanlike flag, and not one of you is calling for his head.

Like I said, it's bizarre. You're all weird Gay-bashers.

BKAnthem
09-02-2011, 03:27 PM
But he hasn't. Gay and Lewis have been the starting corners for our starting D this entire preseason. Aside from the Washington game, where everybody shat the bed top to bottom, those two have done a decent job shutting down the passing game. Meanwhile, the guys that you want to put in front of Gay have made the likes of Mike Kafka and Chris Redman look like Hall-of-Famers.

I think Gay's worst game was probably Atlanta, where he only gave up two or three passes, but also had three or four passes defensed and a QB pressure to boot. Don't take my word for it; go over the play-by-play. That same game, Keenan Lewis gave up twice as many passes and drew an unsportsmanlike flag, and not one of you is calling for his head.

Like I said, it's bizarre. You're all weird Gay-bashers.

wasn't Lewis thrown at twice as many times though? and when Gay is in the Steelers don't play man that much either..and during the regular season...bottom line is we know what Gays ceiling is..he's reached it

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Settle down there buddy, it is an opinion, IMO Brown would make a good safety as well as good CB. I think the Steelers need to "cull" some vets, one of the backup safeties would be a good place to start along with Gay.

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't give the right to be an ass. Way too much of that going on on these boards.

My response was more out of surprise than out of anger. For one thing, Brown's skill set is closer to the prototypical CB position than any other player on the roster behind Taylor, and he has the potential to be the best man to man player on the field, so moving him to safety would be a complete waste. Moreover, just about any other CB on the roster, I feel, would be better suited than Brown to move to S. In fact, it was widely reported last year that Crezdon Butler was being practiced at both safety positions. I just found your suggestion peculiar, and, no offense, but not a very good one either. Finally, Will Allen is an excellent back up S as it is, and a valuable special teams player. I consider his roster spot among the safest of all the backups.

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 05:03 PM
wasn't Lewis thrown at twice as many times though? and when Gay is in the Steelers don't play man that much either..and during the regular season...bottom line is we know what Gays ceiling is..he's reached it
Why would they throw at him twice as often? :tap: And yes, we know what his ceiling is. We also know his basement. We're still figuring out the other guys. It's probably as simple as that. I just think he gets razzed waaaaayyyyyy too much for what is ultimately just a mediocre performance.

Rick5895
09-02-2011, 05:51 PM
My response was more out of surprise than out of anger. For one thing, Brown's skill set is closer to the prototypical CB position than any other player on the roster behind Taylor, and he has the potential to be the best man to man player on the field, so moving him to safety would be a complete waste. Moreover, just about any other CB on the roster, I feel, would be better suited than Brown to move to S. In fact, it was widely reported last year that Crezdon Butler was being practiced at both safety positions. I just found your suggestion peculiar, and, no offense, but not a very good one either. Finally, Will Allen is an excellent back up S as it is, and a valuable special teams player. I consider his roster spot among the safest of all the backups.

I too like W.Allen, for specials. My only point was to keep s many young guys as possible