PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Dwyer

tunes4life
09-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Wow, that was one sweet run last night. He juked the socks off of 3 defensive players on that run. He looked fast, strong and nimble. Maybe he IS a mini-Bettis. I know I know - Don't make too much of anything that happens in the preseason especially game 4.

Can't help it. I'm excited about this kid. Can't wait to see what teams will do if he comes on. Dwyer, Mendy, and Redman (who also looked great) on the field at once?!?

LOL!:tt04:

SteeleReign
09-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Yeah, Dwyer looked good. But... WOW...did Redman look like a beast or what?! He tossed in that spin move to go with his power...Mendy better hold onto that ball this year because there's a couple dudes breathing down his neck.

ETL
09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Remember 2 years ago when Redman was tearing it up in preseason but still got cut. I have a feeling that Dwyer will suffer the same fate. Unless we cut mewelde Moore, i dont see how we keep 4 running backs.

SteelCityMom
09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
To add to the thread...

Dwyer is Digest Player of Week
By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest
Posted 5 hours ago

JONATHAN DWYER
Running Back

The preseason finale has been an important game for Jonathan Dwyer in each of his first two NFL seasons. Last year as a rookie, his performance against the Panthers was enough for him to earn a roster spot, and on Thursday night in Carolina he turned in an even better one.

Dwyer rushed for 88 yards on 13 carries, including an impressive 50-yard touchdown, to go along with two special teams tackles. The one negative on the night for Dwyer was that he lost a fumble, but he still is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Charlie Batch, who looked very crisp in finishing 6-of-8 for 59 yards in limited action; Emmanuel Sanders, who had four catches for 60 yards in his preseason debut; Jeremy Kapinos, who punted twice with each kick traveling 63 yards; and Shaun Suisham, who was 2-for-2 on field goal attempts, including one for 52 yards, and had three of his four kickoffs go for touchbacks.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dwyer-is-Digest-Player-of-Week/fdabc4fd-17e4-43cb-8555-5bc5b292cfcc

theplatypus
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Remember 2 years ago when Redman was tearing it up in preseason but still got cut. I have a feeling that Dwyer will suffer the same fate. Unless we cut mewelde Moore, i dont see how we keep 4 running backs.

We generally keep 4.

MDSteel15
09-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Actually we keep 3 and a FB but that is DJ's spot!

iBleedBlack&Gold
09-02-2011, 12:20 PM
We keep 4, & Dwyer won't dress but RB's can get hurt at any time on any play, so it's good to have guys we know can tote the rock a lil' bit waiting in the wings.

ETL
09-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Wasn't he doing this against backups?

sharkweek
09-02-2011, 12:43 PM
seems like Mewelde just keeps getting less and less effective on the ground as a true RB, and at 29 years old he is getting close to the foreboding 30 year mark for RBs, I don't see him on this team much longer with promising prospects like Dwyer and Baron Batch who seem to have a whole lot more to contribute to the team other than so-so performances on 3rd down passing situations

BKAnthem
09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Wasn't he doing this against backups?

As long as he has the vision to see a hole and hit it hard...it won't matter who he's doing it against

PhantomJB93
09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
You know what would be sweet? A triple option package with Dixon, Mendy, and Dwyer. Not as a major staple of the offense but, every once in a while just break it out. Could be sweet.

BKAnthem
09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
seems like Mewelde just keeps getting less and less effective on the ground as a true RB, and at 29 years old he is getting close to the foreboding 30 year mark for RBs, I don't see him on this team much longer with promising prospects like Dwyer and Baron Batch who seem to have a whole lot more to contribute to the team other than so-so performances on 3rd down passing situations

I like MeMo.he's dependable and doesn't make mistakes...but i don't think he can hold off these guys anymore

sharkweek
09-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I like MeMo.he's dependable and doesn't make mistakes...but i don't think he can hold off these guys anymore

dont get me wrong, I like him too, but sometimes its best to send the old dog to the farm where he can run around in the pastures and chase bunnies :flap:

pete74
09-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I have always taken shit from people for saying mendenhall is an average back but I belive he will be gone when his contract is up

theplatypus
09-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I have always taken shit from people for saying mendenhall is an average back but I belive he will be gone when his contract is up

I could easily see Mendy becoming a salary cap casualty.

ETL
09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
No need to pay tons of money to RBs. Look at last couple of super bowl winners: packers, saints, steelers, giants, colts, steelers, pats, bucs

none had a RB earning Chris Johnson or deangelo Williams type money. Those teams just shot themselves in the foot

pete74
09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Plus good rb's only have a shelf life of 6 years or so. I like Mendy but he is replaceable. Next year we have to sign mendy, wallace, brown and sanders and there is no way were signing them all. Wallace may be gone to if he has another huge year and wants top 3 money.

As for Dwyer, I loved him when we drafted him but when he showed up overweight I thought he would br gone. Now he looks like the next big thing. I really like his running style.

theplatypus
09-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Plus good rb's only have a shelf life of 6 years or so. I like Mendy but he is replaceable. Next year we have to sign mendy, wallace, brown and sanders and there is no way were signing them all. Wallace may be gone to if he has another huge year and wants top 3 money.

As for Dwyer, I loved him when we drafted him but when he showed up overweight I thought he would br gone. Now he looks like the next big thing. I really like his running style.

There;s an article on SD about our cap situation next year. Assuming their numbers are correct our defense will look vastly different by this time next year.

pete74
09-02-2011, 02:25 PM
There;s an article on SD about our cap situation next year. Assuming their numbers are correct our defense will look vastly different by this time next year.

Oh yea. Smith, Brett K, and harrison will be gone for sure and Hampton only has anoth year and he will be gone. Farrior and foots will be gone so were going to have a brand new defense. This is the last year there together which is why I want a super bowl more this year then normal

Men of Steel
09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Oh yea. Smith, Brett K, and harrison will be gone for sure and Hampton only has anoth year and he will be gone. Farrior and foots will be gone so were going to have a brand new defense. This is the last year there together which is why I want a super bowl more this year then normal

that is soo true!

with one more super bowl imagine the amount of players on this team either:

1. retiring
2. leaving in free agency

i wouldnt mind if this team has to rely on a bunch of new guys and first time starters after this year, if most of our beloved players and old timers on this team had their third ring.

CMON STEELERS! Bring the 7th home baby!!!!!

DanRooney
09-02-2011, 03:20 PM

I don't think he's an average runningback at all. I'd rank him somewhere between the 6th and 10th best back in the league behind AP, Foster, CJ, Jamaal Charles, and Ray Rice . But I do agree that he'll be gone when his contract expires. He'd probably be better than Rice if he would be utilized more in the flats. He's great after the catch.

mizzouristeeler
09-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't think he's an average runningback at all. I'd rank him somewhere between the 6th and 10th best back in the league behind AP, Foster, CJ, Jamaal Charles, and Ray Rice . But I do agree that he'll be gone when his contract expires. He'd probably be better than Rice if he would be utilized more in the flats. He's great after the catch.

We do underutilize him in the passing game

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 04:56 PM
It's possible that Mendenhall gets a second contract because he's still only 24, but I agree that it's very possible he is a salary cap casualty. They may franchise him after next season to get another year out of him and then part ways, leaving Isaac Redman, Baron Batch, and Jonathan Dwyer, which, if projections mean anything, I can live with in 2014.

SunshineMan21
09-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I see RBs as being relatively fungible compared to other players, and while Mendenhall was decent last year, he wasn't anything special on a per-play basis.

In essence, he's a competent RB, but I don't think the difference between Mendy and Redman is worth much money. A lot of the value people attribute to RBs is some combination of:

A. Good O-lines
B. Volume of carries

Just because a guy runs for a bunch of yards doesn't mean he contributed marginal value.

ETL
09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
As long as he has the vision to see a hole and hit it hard...it won't matter who he's doing it against

Alls i know is that Redman had just as good as a preseason as Dwyer and they cut him 2 yrs ago.

And it totally matters if its backups or not as those holes that he hits won't be there as long against the starters

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 09:29 PM
You have to take into consideration the number of times Mendenhall was first contacted behind the line of scrimmage or the amount of tackles that he eluded behind the line of scrimmage when you take into consideration his value. Redman and Moore were used in different roles that generally get them to the line of scrimmage. Mendenhall's 3.9 average last year based on the amount of negative running plays the offensive line was induced into giving up is actually very respectable.

stb_steeler
09-02-2011, 11:13 PM

How long did the Bus play?????????????????

Third Rail
09-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Wow, didn't realize we had so many guys that are due up for new contracts next year. Hopefully that galvanize the team into an even more elite unit and they'll win that 7th ring.

Also, Dwyer looked awesome. I'll always love Moore for his contributions in 2008 -- seriously, I think if it hadn't been for him, we wouldn't have made the playoffs -- but it might be time to either let him go or use him strictly for backup duty. He's been less and less effective each year.

sharkweek
09-03-2011, 01:03 AM
How long did the Bus play?????????????????

Bettis was an aberration

However I believe Mendenhall does have a really good balance of size/power/speed to where he could be one of those rare RBs that lasts beyond a decade, but then again there's always the chance that injury cuts that ride short, and many times that is what happens

at any rate it doesn't seem likely we keep Mendenhall long unless he'd be content with a modest salary

tony hipchest
09-03-2011, 02:20 AM
dwyer will make the team. one cant ignore his brute suddeness and glide power.

(or am i thinking of redman?)

either way were keeping 3 backs in addition to mendenhall.

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 02:25 AM
i don't think dwyer is in danger of losing a spot. i thought so at the beginning of camp but he's really turned it around. if not for baron batch's injury though i wouldn't be so sure of that

tony hipchest
09-03-2011, 02:30 AM
unfortunately for dwyer, i think many fans will hold him to what lagrrette blount did as a rookie.

his success made dwyer look like a failure, although im amost certain blount woulda never been able to showcase his capabilities as much as he did with tampa bay, had the steelers drafted him or picked him off of waivers.

steeltheone
09-03-2011, 09:03 AM
unfortunately for dwyer, i think many fans will hold him to what lagrrette blount did as a rookie.

his success made dwyer look like a failure, although im amost certain blount woulda never been able to showcase his capabilities as much as he did with tampa bay, had the steelers drafted him or picked him off of waivers.

No Dwyer made Dwyer look like a failure...Fat and a bad work ethic along with questionable skills needed to be a complete NFL back....He is a dime a dozen back.

sharkweek
09-03-2011, 10:52 AM

I think you overestimate the number of fans that actually realize we could have had Blount

theplatypus
09-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I think you overestimate the number of fans that actually realize we could have had Blount

I would say that anyone that's been following the team for more than a couple years knows that any chance of Blount being a Steeler ended with the punch.

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 11:35 AM

I wanted Blount so bad. Unfortunately, I think punching a Boise State player on national TV is grounds for not being selected by Colbert.

effyou515
09-03-2011, 11:45 AM
another young player like to see Dwyer get it going I think Tomlin woke this kid up this preseason.

ETL
09-03-2011, 12:03 PM

I dont understand. Why couldn't we get Blount? We could have just drafted him instead of Dwyer.

ETL
09-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Sorry. My bad. I understand what u mean now.

theplatypus
09-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I wanted Blount so bad. Unfortunately, I think punching a Boise State player on national TV is grounds for not being selected by Colbert.

It isn't a Colbert thing.

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I dont understand. Why couldn't we get Blount? We could have just drafted him instead of Dwyer.

Character issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTYiCqzpcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgFBFV4V2Q

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Character issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTYiCqzpcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgFBFV4V2Q

whitey got knocked out son. :chuckle:

Wallace17
09-03-2011, 02:08 PM
I think tomlin has a hard on for memo. Thats why we kept him. As far as mendy goes we could do without him I honestly like guys with hart and mendy doesnt have it. I see it in redman every time he gets the ball he looks good. Dwyer looks good to gotta give this kid some time though. We could afford to lose mendy and moore.

ETL
09-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I think tomlin has a hard on for memo. Thats why we kept him. As far as mendy goes we could do without him I honestly like guys with hart and mendy doesnt have it. I see it in redman every time he gets the ball he looks good. Dwyer looks good to gotta give this kid some time though. We could afford to lose mendy and moore.

I've been down on Dwyer but i will give him time as u suggest. Although running back is usually the easiest position to play from the start.

Wallace17
09-04-2011, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=ETL;940210]I've been down on Dwyer but i will give him time as u suggest. Although running back is usually the easiest position to play from the start.[/QAAAA

Agreed :tt02:

mikegrimey
09-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Really how does one appraise a player's "hart"?

Did Mendenhall look heartless while rushing for 13 TDs in the regular season last year (all but 2 within 10 yards of the goal line?). Or when he rushed for 4 more in the playoffs including 2 hard fought TDs in the Baltimore game.

PErhaps we can use his performance as an indication of his desire instead of just arbitrary vague remarks like "he just doesn't have it" and "i see it in redman".

Wallace17
09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Really how does one appraise a player's "hart"?

Did Mendenhall look heartless while rushing for 13 TDs in the regular season last year (all but 2 within 10 yards of the goal line?). Or when he rushed for 4 more in the playoffs including 2 hard fought TDs in the Baltimore game.

PErhaps we can use his performance as an indication of his desire instead of just arbitrary vague remarks like "he just doesn't have it" and "i see it in redman".

I Honestly think there are better running backs on this team then mendy.

mikegrimey
09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I Honestly think there are better running backs on this team then mendy.

That's fair to think it but based on what? Your previousl equation of judging by "hart" doesn't seem reasonable at all. Who is better than Mendenhall on the team and why ...

rocckbottomxmen
09-04-2011, 01:48 PM
It amazes me how most fans are always saying the backups are better than the starters.......

theplatypus
09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
It amazes me how most fans are always saying the backups are better than the starters.......

and the coaches are stupid, have a vet bias yada yada yada

pete74
09-04-2011, 02:49 PM
i think mendenhall is a good back but he isnt great and he is definatly replaceable. with the exception of the game breakers like peterson, johnson, etc most are.

steelerjim58
09-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that there isnt a back in the league that would look like s superstar in this offense. Whether it is how the plays are drawn up or the quality of the blocking, I see carry after carry where there simply is no where for the runner to go.

sharkweek
09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
i think mendenhall is a good back but he isnt great and he is definatly replaceable. with the exception of the game breakers like peterson, johnson, etc most are.

no, they're just as replaceable, no way I'd want either Peterson or Johnson on this team for the money they make

pete74
09-04-2011, 05:38 PM
no, they're just as replaceable, no way I'd want either Peterson or Johnson on this team for the money they make

I wouldn't either but there definatly special. There game changers.

steelerjim58
09-05-2011, 02:27 PM
IMO Johnson is one of the most overated players in the league. Yes, he is capable of breaking a big run at any time. But how often does he do it? Last year he only had 3 games where if you take away his longest run he would have averaged 4 or more yards per carry. He had 9 games where if you take away his longest run he would have averaged 3 or less yards per carry. And by using the same formula he would have only had 1 100 yard game. Now I dont know how this would apply to Peterson or Foster, maybe it would be closer than I think.

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
IMO Johnson is one of the most overated players in the league. Yes, he is capable of breaking a big run at any time. But how often does he do it? Last year he only had 3 games where if you take away his longest run he would have averaged 4 or more yards per carry. He had 9 games where if you take away his longest run he would have averaged 3 or less yards per carry. And by using the same formula he would have only had 1 100 yard game. Now I dont know how this would apply to Peterson or Foster, maybe it would be closer than I think.

Chris Johnson is the Titans offense. They stack 8 in the box against them all day. He's no Willie Parker, where team had to respect Ben's pass as well as him (yet he was always trippng over the bacteria field at the LoS).

btaylor179
09-05-2011, 04:55 PM
still not impressed by dwyer.....not even at ga tech

pete74
09-05-2011, 05:04 PM

let me start by saying i hat CJ but he is definatly not overrated. every team he plays against stack the box against him and still he does well. last year after young went down his numbers dropped but only because there were 8 defenders in the box on every single play he was in on. he is one of a kind and the furthest thing from overrated.

ETL
09-05-2011, 05:24 PM
let me start by saying i hat CJ but he is definatly not overrated. every team he plays against stack the box against him and still he does well. last year after young went down his numbers dropped but only because there were 8 defenders in the box on every single play he was in on. he is one of a kind and the furthest thing from overrated.

I agree with you - not over rated . He is really good. But I would not want my team to spend that much for a RB.

If we play in a system without a salary cap - then I don't care how much the player makes. But with a cap; giving that much money to one player will affect how we are able to retain talent elsewhere.

I overheard someone talking about the 4 key positions on a football team that requires big spending. 1. QB, 2. Left Tackle, 3.Shut Down Corner, 4. Pass Rushing end. RB is not part of that list and I agree.

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 05:29 PM

I support CJ all the way. let the titans overpay his ass and screw themselves with the salary cap :thumbsup:

I mean he's good, but he ain't barry sanders

Brice Anthony
09-06-2011, 08:14 AM
I think Dwyer would be a good back in a year or 2. I love Redman but didn't when he first showed up.

Give them time and the coaching staff will have him where he needs to be should Mendy decide to go elsewhere.