PDA

View Full Version : 2 series just enough for Batch to prove he's worthy backup

SteelCityMom
09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Steelers Notebook: 2 series just enough for Batch to prove he's worthy backup
Friday, September 02, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CHARLOTTE. N.C. -- Charlie Batch finally got a chance to play with someone other than rookie free agents and looked very much like a quarterback ready to be the top backup to Ben Roethlisberger .

On a night in which Roethlisberger was one of 11 starters held out by coach Mike Tomlin , Batch started and led the Steelers to a touchdown on their opening possession in a 33-17 preseason victory Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers.

"This is the last time that I may get the reps with the ones in a long time and you have to take advantage of it," Batch said. "You know the guys that are going to be playing on a regular basis are going to be watching you and you have to have the mindset that, hey, if something happens, you can count on me."

Batch played two series and completed 6 of 8 passes for 59 yards. It looked as if he might even have had a touchdown pass when he connected with Mike Wallace on a crossing pass from the Carolina 11 on the opening drive.

But Wallace fumbled as he was being tackled at the 1 and tight end David Johnson recovered in the end zone for a touchdown.

"One of the things I wanted to do was go out there and help put the team in the end zone and that's what we were able to do," said Batch, 36, who enters his 14th season. "That's the way you want to open the game -- drive 80 yards for a touchdown. It really did feel good."

Batch played only two series and was replaced by Dennis Dixon , but he made quick decisions and looked efficient in his first outing playing behind the first-team offensive line that was minus Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey .

It was just what the Steelers wanted to see from Batch, who will be the No. 2 quarterback after Byron Leftwich broke his left arm last week against the Atlanta Falcons. Batch, though, said he has not been told he will be the top backup.

"That's what you want when you have your opportunity, not just from a player's standpoint but trying to impress the coach as well, that he is comfortable enough to put you in there," Batch said. "Those are some of the things that I was making sure, that those guys feel comfortable if that's the case."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11245/1171618-66.stm#ixzz1Wnn1331B

solardave
09-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't think his ability has been in question as much as his durability. If we need him( and I sure hope we don't) we'll just have to keep him upright.

steeltheone
09-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't think his ability has been in question as much as his durability. If we need him( and I sure hope we don't) we'll just have to keep him upright.

Exactly...You know if it comes down to playing Charlie you need another in reserve because he will go down at some point...Not a matter of if but when..

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I always thought batch was the best out of the 3 backups tbh