PDA

View Full Version : Cuts

BossAus
09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Roster cuts are on Steelers.com. Lyons and Grisham are among the cuts.

Fire Arians
09-02-2011, 03:41 PM
and donovan warren. though i guess that's not too big of a shocker considering to keep him would require cutting cortez allen, who made a strong case yesterday as to why we drafted him

rocckbottomxmen
09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I really wish they had cut one of the vets to keep warren

BossAus
09-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately this also probably means we are going to be stuck with Gay for another year.

SteelCityMom
09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
The Steelers have placed quarterback Byron Leftwich on the reserve-injured list and released 21 players, whittling their roster to 58.

The team has until 6 p.m. tomorrow to finalize its 53-man roster.

Linebackers Mortty Ivy and Mario Harvey, cornerback Donovan Warren, defensive end Corbin Bryant, wide receiver Tyler Grisham and guard Keith Williams were among those that the Steelers released today.

Williams, a sixth-round pick in April, is the only member of the 2011 draft class that the Steelers have cut.

Ivy, a Gateway High and West Virginia University product, made a strong push to make the team by leading the Steelers in tackles (16) in their four preseason games. Other players with local ties that the Steelers waived are wide receiver Wes Lyons (Woodland Hills and West Virginia) and guard/center John Malecki (Franklin Regional and Pitt).

The Steelers also cut linebackers Baraka Atkins and Chris McCoy, defensive backs Macho Harris, Da'Mon Cromartie Smith and Brent Greenwood, running backs John Clay and James Johnson, offensive linemen Kyle Jolly, Trevis Turner and Colin Miller, wide receiver Armand Robinson, tight end Jamie McCoy and kicker Swayze Waters.

The Steelers have some tough decisions before tomorrow night, including choosing between Daniel Sepulveda and Jeremy Kapinos at punter.

Leftwich, who had surgery on his broken left arm earlier this week, joins rookie running back Baron Batch on the reserve-injured list and is out for the rest of the season.

Among the postions where the Steelers appear set as far as the 53-man roster are quarterback, running back and linebacker.

Read more: Steelers pare roster to 58 - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_754829.html?_s_icmp=NetworkHeadlines#ixzz1WpZNwR yb

pete74
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Im surprised keith Williams was cut. I heard alot of good things in camp about him

Men of Steel
09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
shoulda kept warren,

shoulda cut gay. :doh:

i couldnt stand seeing gay get burned in the secondary and missing all these easy tackles, against the lowly panthers. :banging:

i really really really hate w. gay.
not as a person, but because he cant play corner worth a s***!!!!!

shoulda kept ANYONE, but gay. :mad:

55BaileyFan
09-02-2011, 04:50 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2011/09/steelers-cut-to-58.html

Grisham and Ivy are kind of a shock...

ETL
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2011/09/steelers-cut-to-58.html

Grisham and Ivy are kind of a shock...

Really? A shock? Really?

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-02-2011, 06:12 PM
We should have kept Warren, released Gay, and then shot him... just in case we had any second thoughts.

Fire Haley
09-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Down to 58

5 more cuts

Cut Dixon - - bring back Swayze!!!!!

that's what I say

Kingmagyar
09-02-2011, 07:11 PM
5 more cuts and with one being a punter and one being Jarrett Crittenton DE, and one being Chris Scott OT that leaves only two more so which two of these guys goes?

Steve Mclendon, Chris Hoke, Arnaz Battle, John Gilmore, or Wesyle Saunders?

I think it is crucial for the team's future to keep the 7 CBs that are on the roster now and I hope they do as Cortez Allen or Crezden Butler would probably be snatched up by another team if released. Also hope they keep Saunders. Also why the delay in choosing a punter. Is Sepulveda going through one last medical exam? He averages nearly 5 more yards a kick then Kapinos.

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
If I was forced to guess, I would say Gilmore and Battle. But it could easily end up being neither. I doubt that it's Hoke, however. If the Steelers continue to pound the veteran mantra, it will likely be McClendon and Saunders to go, but I think they worry about both of them clearing waivers, especially after the past two games in McClendon's case.

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 10:47 PM
5 more cuts and with one being a punter and one being Jarrett Crittenton DE, and one being Chris Scott OT that leaves only two more so which two of these guys goes?

Steve Mclendon, Chris Hoke, Arnaz Battle, John Gilmore, or Wesyle Saunders?

I think it is crucial for the team's future to keep the 7 CBs that are on the roster now and I hope they do as Cortez Allen or Crezden Butler would probably be snatched up by another team if released. Also hope they keep Saunders. Also why the delay in choosing a punter. Is Sepulveda going through one last medical exam? He averages nearly 5 more yards a kick then Kapinos.
Why Chris Scott?

Forget about cutting Hoke. Not going to happen. Zero dropoff from Snack to him, and he's never injured.

11 DBs on the roster right now. That won't last.

solardave
09-03-2011, 05:05 AM
We should have kept Warren, released Gay, and then shot him... just in case we had any second thoughts.

Really, that's a little harsh when you think about. Wait,I thought about it and you're right!:applaudit:

Kingmagyar
09-03-2011, 08:42 AM
I think the Steelers will keep 11 DBs.

The Steelers learned that a 4th round pick will be snatched up quick when released so they will not release Cortez Allen and I don't think they want to release a guy who can run back an interception 95 yards and not even be winded and can return punts in a pinch. So Crezdon Butler will stay and the Steelers will keep 11 DBs over a 4th TE, or 7th DL, or a 6th WR.

Navy86
09-03-2011, 08:43 AM
shoulda kept warren,

shoulda cut gay. :doh:

i couldnt stand seeing gay get burned in the secondary and missing all these easy tackles, against the lowly panthers. :banging:

i really really really hate w. gay.
not as a person, but because he cant play corner worth a s***!!!!!

shoulda kept ANYONE, but gay. :mad:

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you are trying to say here. Do you think the Steelers should consider cutting Gay? :chuckle:

I'm with you...I've seen enough of his ineptitude. If Gay isn't cut, then I just can't believe we let go of Warren in favor of Gay. I'm getting a little tired of the veteran "presence" crap. And if Warren was cut due to his lack of speed, then Gay should be following him out the door as Gay is just as slow.

Now, if Gay AND McFadden are cut, I just might do a couple of backflips, but Tomlin has already stated that McFadden is still our starter. :banging:

Kingmagyar
09-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I just had a revelation. I've always assumed the Steelers have no choice but to keep 11 DBs assuming Gay was safe. But if Gay is cut ? He did look terrible in the pre-season. I wonder now? Could Gay really be going? Wow the plot thickens. I guess we won't have much longer to wait to find out.

Rick5895
09-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Maybe we could trade Gay to Pittsburgh west for a 6th or 7th round pick. lol

Navy86
09-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Maybe we could trade Gay to Pittsburgh west for a 6th or 7th round pick. lol

Or better yet, how about a decent O-Linemen! Or maybe we trade McFadden BACK to AZ!:wink02:

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Quite the shocker...

@SteelersDigest: Final cuts: T Tony Hills, CB Crezdon Butler, P Jeremy Kapinos, TE John Gilmore, DE J.Crittenton.

Glad Saunders made the team though!

LVSteelersfan
09-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Hills is not that big of a surprise. He has been considered a bust by many since he first got here. Butler, now that one surprises me a lot. I just can't believe that Gay keeps sliding through. Everyone watching knows he can't cover my grandma. How can the coaches keep putting up with mediocrity from him? It doesn't matter how much experience he has with LeBeau's defense. If he sucks, he sucks and therefore should get cut. I like most of the decisions but that one is a head scratcher. Did Butler suit up for too many games last year to be eligible for the practice squad?

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 04:12 PM
i kinda figured butler because between him and cortez allen someone had to go.

hills is a shocker, he went from being the favorite for the starting guard position and ends up getting cut? i thought at very worst backup guard

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Hills is not that big of a surprise. He has been considered a bust by many since he first got here. Butler, now that one surprises me a lot. I just can't believe that Gay keeps sliding through. Everyone watching knows he can't cover my grandma. How can the coaches keep putting up with mediocrity from him? It doesn't matter how much experience he has with LeBeau's defense. If he sucks, he sucks and therefore should get cut. I like most of the decisions but that one is a head scratcher. Did Butler suit up for too many games last year to be eligible for the practice squad?

William Gay has gay photos of Tomlin and is threatening to release them. It's the only logical explanation.

Steelersfan87
09-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Why the hell would they keep Chris Scott over Tony Hills? At least Scott has practice squad eligibility. I guess they figured it was either starter or bust at this point. This is a decision that I do not agree with, however. On the other hand, they may be angling to sign somebody else that another team cuts.

It's unfortunate to see Butler go, however. I do not believe they will be able to keep him on the practice squad without losing him to waivers (e.g. Ray Horton, Ken Whisenhunt, and the Cardinals, who are hurting at CB with Rodgers-Cromartie gone).

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Why the hell would they keep Chris Scott over Tony Hills?

yeah that one has me scratching my head. hills looked a lot better than scott

ricardisimo
09-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Which means only Rashard and Mundy are left from that draft. Doesn't it seems like they had a plan going into that draft and then they just threw it all away when Mendenhall dropped? He's good, but he's not worth an entire draft. Mike Jenkins and Antoine Cason came after him, and we certainly could have used them.

How the hell did Crittendon last this long? Just curious.

SunshineMan21
09-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Why the hell would they keep Chris Scott over Tony Hills? At least Scott has practice squad eligibility. I guess they figured it was either starter or bust at this point. This is a decision that I do not agree with, however. On the other hand, they may be angling to sign somebody else that another team cuts.

It's unfortunate to see Butler go, however. I do not believe they will be able to keep him on the practice squad without losing him to waivers (e.g. Ray Horton, Ken Whisenhunt, and the Cardinals, who are hurting at CB with Rodgers-Cromartie gone).

I kinda expected Butler to go, although I would've preferred to see Gay cut. The bigger surprise is cutting Hills over Scott. Maybe they think that Scott has enough potential to keep, but I can't see how he's a better player than Hills at this point.

A couple other interesting notes:

~Saunders made the team!
~The FO kept McClendon in addition to Hoke
~Allen, Brown, and Lewis all made the team
~We are keeping four HBs--Mendenhall, Redman, Moore, and Dwyer
~Sep beat out Kapinos

Third Rail
09-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I can't believe they cut Butler. I know it was the preseason, but he looked really good.

F*** William Gay. He's the worst player on this team and I can't, for the life of me, see why they keep him on board.

ricardisimo
09-03-2011, 04:26 PM
:rolleyes:

Steel_Bus_24
09-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I dont like criticizing the FO, but I can't lie, Im pissed that Gay is on this team over Butler.....I hope he proves me wrong but hes going to have to do a lot to change my opinion of his play...

The guy gets out positioned way too easily by Wrs/TEs, a very mediocre tackler in space, and doesn't have enough speed/instincts to make up for it

That secondary better get their sh** together and stop people on 3rd down this year.....the Coahes better not hesitate to yank Gay or 20-Yard Cushion McFadden if they're getting torched.....we've put up with this for too long....the NFL is changing and if we don''t adapt/improve our ability to cover the spread then we're going to get left behind

Steelersfan87
09-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Full list of cuts as they come in...feel free to peruse, and try to identify players that might be of potential interest to the Steelers: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821e9e9a/article/down-to-53-tracking-final-cuts-for-all-32-nfl-teams?module=HP11_content_stream

Third Rail
09-03-2011, 04:36 PM
:rolleyes:

OOOhhhh somebody broke out the eyeroll! Wow, that just makes you look soooo smart!

Heh, if you want to cheer for a guy who is dead weight, that's your prerogative.

theplatypus
09-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I can't believe they cut Butler. I know it was the preseason, but he looked really good.

F*** William Gay. He's the worst player on this team and I can't, for the life of me, see why they keep him on board.

Perhaps they're a better judge of talent than we are.

Steelersfan87
09-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Perhaps they're a better judge of talent than we are.

WHAT?! Get the **** out of here with that rubbish. I don't see Kevin Colbert posting on here, what can he possibly know?

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2011, 04:46 PM
WHAT?! Get the **** out of here with that rubbish. I don't see Kevin Colbert posting on here, what can he possibly know?
:toofunny:

Navy86
09-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I dont like criticizing the FO, but I can't lie, Im pissed that Gay is on this team over Butler.....I hope he proves me wrong but hes going to have to do a lot to change my opinion of his play...

The guy gets out positioned way to easily by Wrs/TEs, a very mediocre tackler in space, and doesn't have enough speed/instincts to make up for it

That secondary better get their sh** together and stop people on 3rd down this year.....the Coahes better not hesitate to yank Gay or 20-Yard Cushion McFadden if they're getting torched.....we've put up with this for too long....the NFL is changing and if we don''t adapt/improve our ability to cover the spread then we're going to get left behind

Agree with everything you said except one thing, I've given up hope of Gay being able to prove me wrong. Looks as if we have yet another year of stellar Corner play to watch between McFadden and Gay!!!

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I guess this means Crezdon Butler sucks because we cut him.

I don't see what Colbert has to do with cutting anyone. That's all on the coaches and Tomlin.

ricardisimo
09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
OOOhhhh somebody broke out the eyeroll! Wow, that just makes you look soooo smart!

Heh, if you want to cheer for a guy who is dead weight, that's your prerogative.
No, what makes me look smart is neither exaggerating nor diminishing William Gay's talents and deficiencies. That, and accurately predicting his retention on the roster over completely untested rookies and 2nd-year men. What's your story?

I guess this means Crezdon Butler sucks because we cut him.

I don't see what Colbert has to do with cutting anyone. That's all on the coaches and Tomlin.
Yes. What else could it possibly mean? Here'as another eyeroll for you: :rolleyes: And for the record, all personnel decisions go through Colbert.

Steelersfan87
09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Colbert would classify as a "judge of talent". Regardless, the intent of the joke does not change.

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 05:28 PM
They will continue to be untested rookies/2nd year corners until they get playing time. Can't do that with William Gay on the field getting torched all the time when teams go 3 wide or more.

Kingmagyar
09-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Tony Hills over Scott?
I watched Tony Hills particulararily all pre--season and what I saw was a guy who got on his man and stayed on his man. Maybe he couldn't run the trap and pull at all and that was his undoing, but Chris Scott looked really bad. Guys set up right in front of him were just running past him. It almost looked deliberate on his part how bad he was playing. Scott could be gone soon as well though if the Steelers pursue Andre Gurode who could backup center and start at guard.

Why is Battle still on this team?
And I still say Arnaz Battle has a job at the expense of Crezdon Butler. Battle will be gone from the team next year or shortly thereafter, so let's just not hope Butler is playing in Baltimore as a very good corner by then. Dumbest move I've ever seen the Steelers make. I guess they will sit Cochery on game days or maybe Brown or Sanders so Battle can run down the field and make special teams tackles on touchbacks. Really steamed about Battle still being on this team. Why even sign Cotchery?

Giving away the future?
I'd rather see a Butler on the team that plays aggressive and comes up with a 95 yard interception return and will occasionally get burned deep then a damn corner who stands 15 yards off his man and lets the receiver catch the ball in front of him all game. The Steelers get rid of a corner who can actually catch the ball and has the speed to not get caught running it back 95 yards.

The release of Butler doesn't end our season, but the potential was never fully realized here and that is the shame of it. I would be very happy if he somehow signs back here on the practice squad, but why would he not go somewhere else. Butler to the Steelers,
"How'd you guys like my 95 yard int return for a TD? "
"It was great, by the way we need your playbook, we are releasing you."
"Your joking right?"
i don't think Battle had 1 tackle all pre-season.

pete74
09-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Tony hills definatly played much better then scott. As for butler I bet he will be on another team real soon. He may not be the next great cb but I would take him over gay anyday.

theplatypus
09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Tony hills definatly played much better then scott. As for butler I bet he will be on another team real soon. He may not be the next great cb but I would take him over gay anyday.

Something strange went on with Hills and the coaching staff over the last10 days or so. Somehow he went from starting material that was "maintaing blocks" and "blocking at the 2nd level" to 2nd string and then cut. .

pete74
09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Something strange went on with Hills and the coaching staff over the last10 days or so. Somehow he went from starting material that was "maintaing blocks" and "blocking at the 2nd level" to 2nd string and then cut. .

agreed. im shocked. i dont understand how they could do a complete 180 like that. something definatly happened because he played a new position fairly well

Moose
09-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I sure wish there was a way to keep BOTH Sep and Kabino. I like Sep and I trust him and how he can place the ball, but his knees worry me. Can he last a whole season ?

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I sure wish there was a way to keep BOTH Sep and Kabino. I like Sep and I trust him and how he can place the ball, but his knees worry me. Can he last a whole season ?

I really don't think Kapinos is going to be a hot commodity in the FA pool. He should clear waivers.

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 07:12 PM

i wasn't expecting butler to get cut. but i think the reason why he got cut was because curtis brown / cortez allen showed more promise

pancake
09-03-2011, 11:09 PM
My guess with scott over Hills, is that Scott has a better shot of playing guard down the road. Hills did get 4 years to show his talents and coaches must think he has peaked.

I don't like the Butler cut, but it was a numbers game. My thought that if McFad was healthy and playing well then Gay would have been gone. Keeping Gay tells me they wanted some experience. I hope Butler makes the PS.

Kapinos came on strong, just over a week ago I call it no competition. I wanted Sep, but would have been fine with either guy with their big leg punts.

I was surprised we kept 2 back up NT. And the Crintton guy, he must have had a really good quiet camp. Maybe he makes the PS this year and then becomes depth next year.

Rick5895
09-04-2011, 06:47 AM
My guess with scott over Hills, is that Scott has a better shot of playing guard down the road. Hills did get 4 years to show his talents and coaches must think he has peaked.

I don't like the Butler cut, but it was a numbers game. My thought that if McFad was healthy and playing well then Gay would have been gone. Keeping Gay tells me they wanted some experience. I hope Butler makes the PS.

Kapinos came on strong, just over a week ago I call it no competition. I wanted Sep, but would have been fine with either guy with their big leg punts.

I was surprised we kept 2 back up NT. And the Crintton guy, he must have had a really good quiet camp. Maybe he makes the PS this year and then becomes depth next year.

Well, said. Hills was given the opportunity to start, and failed to do so. For Hills it was start or get cut. I am surprised by the Butler move, however, in the games I was able to watch he made a couple of plays but also got beat an equal number of ties. Had BMac been healthy then we likely would have kept him over Gay, but Gay is an experienced player in this system, like him or not, that does count for something ( especially with the lockout, ). My expectation is we will see a lots of C.Allen/Brown on the field by mid to late season.

Kingmagyar
09-04-2011, 07:12 AM
A couple more reasons for the Hills cut could be salary. I think he is scheduled for 1.2 million compared to Scott who is maybe less then half that. Scott also could possible be a better tackle in the future as he was a very good left tackle in college. However I do think no one would have picked Scott up on waivers after the pre-season he had so he probably will be the first cut if the Steelers need a spot or sign a veteran offensive lineman.

Arizona and former D-backs coach Ray Horton might very well grab Butler as they only have like 4 CBs on the roster right now.