PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the final 5 cuts?

55BaileyFan
09-02-2011, 08:14 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2011/09/five-more-to-go.html

I think Allen (Practice Squad) Crittenton (Practice Squad) Chris Scott (Shocker) Kapinos and Gilmore (keep Saunders)

ETL
09-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Crittendon
gilmore
Chris Scott
kapinos
dwyer

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Battle
Crittendon
Kapinos
Gilmore
and at least one DB, but which?

There are 11 DBs on the roster right now, which ain't gonna keep. They might keep Battle and cut both Allens, for example.

Steelersfan87
09-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Why do people keep mentioning Will Allen as a possible cut? I don't get it. They already cut Cromartie-Smith and Greenwood. They have 4 S on the roster, and all of their spots are safe. I also think there's a very, very good chance that they carry 7 CBs. Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, and Curtis Brown are definitely going nowhere. Keenan Lewis is not PS eligible and they do like him, as he's poised to contribute this year, so I doubt he goes anywhere. They greatly fear losing Crezdon Butler and Cortez Allen to waivers and would like to keep both. So I think it's well within the realm of possibility that they keep 7 CBs. I also think it's possible that, if one of the younger CBs proves (to the coaches) at some point during the course of the season that Gay is expendable, that he may be cut mid-season to bring up a PS player. CB would also be the first position cut from should an injury emergency arise like it did with Smith and Keisel last year.

Third Rail
09-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I wish they would cut Gay, but they seem to like having a guy who opposing QBs target every time they throw. It keeps the game competitive, I guess.

55BaileyFan
09-02-2011, 11:42 PM
I think Allen will still be there, he is a solid backup and good special teamer. I think that either Greenwood or Smith will get on the PS.

I am really curious to see who else they cut, there are only 3 maybe 4 obvious choices....BTW, do you think they would keep Crttendon and cut Hoke?

ricardisimo
09-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Will Allen is safe. And I have difficulty seeing them cut any more of this year's draft picks. Maybe Chris Scott, I guess. Just, 11 DBs seems like an awful lot. Seven corners? Really?

Steelersfan87
09-03-2011, 12:20 AM
7 CBs is definitely a lot, but it's a move to be made for the future. 9 LBs is a lot, and they did that last year. I think that they are equipped to carry 7 CBs without jeopardizing the team, however. They have WR depth that they've never had before, with the potential 6th WR being a special teams player whose value has been devalued (and young players with ST ability like Brown to replace him). Carrying 8 LBs, 5 WRs, and 9 OL allows them to carry 7 DL (namely Steve McClendon, who can play at any point on the line and is big time NT insurance behind 2 thirty somethings) and 7 CBs (with Cortez Allen getting a redshirt year and Curtis Brown and Crezdon Butler being allowed to mature gradually with minimal pressure to contribute right away). I think it would be a wise and prudent move that has a high probability of paying off in the long run. Plus they will have Tyler Grisham on the practice squad.

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 03:44 AM
just my guesses...

dixon, brown, lewis, battle and kapinos.

there is no point in keeping dixon. any QB can replace him.

isn't lewis hurt? he will probably stay though.

brown because you can't keep so many DBs.

battle because 5 WRs is all you need.

kapinos because you only need one punter.

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 03:47 AM
do you think they would keep Crttendon and cut Hoke?

IMO, that would not be a good move. who would be the backup NT? when hampton went down a few years back the run defense was better with hoke. i really don't think hood or crittendon can play NT.

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 03:50 AM
just my guesses...

no way curtis brown gets cut. I doubt lewis either

cutting curtis brown would be throwing away our #3 pick (and one with potential to boot). lewis is probably the backup corner for either ike or mcfadden if either goes down. you can't cut him

ricksteelers55
09-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Here are my cuts:

Crittenton,Gilmore,C.Scott,Sepulveda and William Gay

Sepulveda is a 4th round pick and a better punter but too injury prone to keep instead of Kapinos

solardave
09-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Here are my cuts:

Crittenton,Gilmore,C.Scott,Sepulveda and William Gay

Sepulveda is a 4th round pick and a better punter but too injury prone to keep instead of Kapinos

I agree with your list. I think Hoke stays at least one more year and as good as Sepulveda is when he is healthy he doesn't stay that way to justify keeping him. To much of a gamble.

Although I think Gay is the new Chad Scott. Can't play worth a crap but for some reason we keep him.

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 05:20 AM
no way curtis brown gets cut. I doubt lewis either

cutting curtis brown would be throwing away our #3 pick (and one with potential to boot). lewis is probably the backup corner for either ike or mcfadden if either goes down. you can't cut him

i thought brown was the DB from citadel. isn't cortez allen having a better pre-season then brown?

i chose lewis because he is hurt again(knee injury). i believe gay is the backup CB. IMO, after taylor there is an enormous drop-off in talent. mcfadden is burnt toast. gay is slightly better in coverage than mcfadden, but is not as good a tackler.

there are far too many DBs left on the roster.

Aussie Steeler
09-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Kapinos punted so well against Carolina! 62 yard average, from memory.

But we may keep Sepulveda for good luck. I wouldn't want to wish harm on anybody, but the two times Sepulveda went down with a season ending injury; the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl.

Rick5895
09-03-2011, 06:07 AM
I believe it will be Crittenden, Chris Scott, Gilmore, Battle, Sepulvada. Kapinos was holding for Suisham on extra points and FG, the job that usually goes to the punter.
I would have thought a veteran DB would be cut, but it looks like Gay is going to stay, However if these young guys progress well he could be gone by mid season. Also if BMac injury doesn't come around he could well be headed to IR at some point. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade happen.
Hopefully we can get Harvey and Ivy snuck through waivers to our practice squad.

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2011, 07:21 AM
P-G thinks Sepulveda is in trouble based on who was the holder on field goals in Charlotte

Some other team is going to get a good punter for nothing early next week because the Steelers cannot keep both. The signs were ominous Thursday night in Charlotte for Sepulveda.

It's not just that Kapinos booted both of his punts 63 yards, one without a return, and had a net average of 59 yards compared to Sepulveda's two that averaged 40.5 gross, 31.5 net.

The other bad sign for Sepulveda was Kapinos held the ball for No. 1 kicker Shaun Suisham while Sepulveda held for backup kicker Waters, who was cut Friday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11246/1172001-66-2.stm

ETL
09-03-2011, 07:34 AM
just my guesses...

sir. I just dont know what to say to you. i guess we only need two QBs because last year our quarterbacks were so healthy and durable. And lets cut our top reserve Cornerbacks because one is a little banged up and the other...well, he's just a rookie...a third round draft pick rookie

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 08:21 AM
sir. I just dont know what to say to you. i guess we only need two QBs because last year our quarterbacks were so healthy and durable. And lets cut our top reserve Cornerbacks because one is a little banged up and the other...well, he's just a rookie...a third round draft pick rookie

being a 3rd round pick does not exclude him from possibly being cut. just as being a 1st round pick does exclude you.

wasn't lewis' knee injury is said to be serious? i haven't heard any updates for awhile. lewis was dreadful last year as were gay and mcfadden. does it really matter who the steelers cut in the secondary? i tell you what. pick any DB, other than the starters(except for mcfadden. he's expendable), for lewis.

why do you need more than 2 QBs when the third(dixon) isn't even a QB? you can take any free agent QB to fill in if BR or batch get hurt. tell me, what purpose does dixon serve? he can't throw, read a defense or handle a playbook. those QBs are a dime a dozen. remember the complete idiot kordell?

keep in mind i am not taking any bets on who will be cut. don't the steelers have 11 DBs on the roster at the moment? there are only 5 cuts left. i can only see them keeping 9 DBs on the roster. that's not set in stone. they can keep however many they want, but 10 seems a little high.

let me revise the list for you...

kapinos
crittenton
dixon
c. scott
gilmore

Navy86
09-03-2011, 08:31 AM
i thought brown was the DB from citadel. isn't cortez allen having a better pre-season then brown?

i chose lewis because he is hurt again(knee injury). i believe gay is the backup CB. IMO, after taylor there is an enormous drop-off in talent. mcfadden is burnt toast. gay is slightly better in coverage than mcfadden, but is not as good a tackler.

Brown is our 3rd Rd pick out of Texas. Do you really think they will keep Crittendon over our 3rd round Draft pick? Also, there is no way we go w/ only 2 QBs on the roster. If they dump him for another QB, we still need to drop a player. Lewis, as well, isn't going anywhere IMO. My five are as follows:

Crittendon
C. Scott
Battle (or Gilmore)
Sepulveda (for reasons explained in this thread regarding injuries/PK holder duties)
Gay (not to worry, he'll still be available if we need him later. No other team would want him)

Kingmagyar
09-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I think these would be the most beneficial cuts, but I still don't know which punter or if a TE or DL goes.

-Chris Scott (why? because he has stunk.)

-a Punter must go (interesting as pointed out by the PG that Kapinos was holding for Suisham) I'll say Kapinos because Sepulveda may not be medically ready.

-Arnaz Battle (someday when he is gone and forgotten, one of the DBs they kept will still be contributing.)

Jarrett Crittenton -who is this guy I watched all pre-season and I didn't see him one time.

-The hardest one. D-lineman or a TE? Some have predicted the Steelers keep 4 TEs because Arians runs 3 TEs often. So I look for DL Mclendon, TE Gilmore, or TE Saunders to go. (Hope they keep Saunders.) I'll say Gilmore only because he would make the vet minimum which would be about 500,000 more then Saunders and I believe the Steelers like having a 6 man rotation on the DL and with Smith and Keisel you never know which one might be injured from week to week so Mclendon would play.

Rick5895
09-03-2011, 08:40 AM
why do you need more than 2 QBs when the third(dixon) isn't even a QB? you can take any free agent QB to fill in if BR or batch get hurt. tell me, what purpose does dixon serve? he can't throw, read a defense or handle a playbook. those QBs are a dime a dozen. remember the complete idiot kordell?

Steeldude, although i understand your reasoning, thinking we could pick up a 3rd QB as a free agent, why would we. You may not like Dixon, but he knows the offense and (although some will disagree) I think he is a capable , albeit, not great or even good, replacement in the short term .

55BaileyFan
09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't think Brown is getting cut...Allen has not played much and will most likely be on the practice squad. I think with the young McLendon being on the roster, Hoke could be cut. McLendon played much better than Hoke, he is younger and cheaper.

I think Crttenden will get on PS as well and I think Battle is safe. Tomlin keeps talking about his amazing ST skills (I don't see but I don't see how WIllie Colon and William Gay are still here)

Kingmagyar
09-03-2011, 10:27 AM
If the Steelers release Cortez Allen then say goodbye to Cortez Allen. It is as sure a thing as the sun coming up tomorrow morning.

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't think Brown is getting cut...Allen has not played much and will most likely be on the practice squad. I think with the young McLendon being on the roster, Hoke could be cut. McLendon played much better than Hoke, he is younger and cheaper.

I think Crttenden will get on PS as well and I think Battle is safe. Tomlin keeps talking about his amazing ST skills (I don't see but I don't see how WIllie Colon and William Gay are still here)

IMO, i doubt mclendon is going to be able to play NT at 280 lbs. hoke has played extremely well when called upon. i believe the steelers are 11-2(can't remember exactly) with hoke as the starter.

colon is still here because the steelers have only 3 veteran tackles on the team. colon also happens to be the second best lineman on the steelers after pouncey. hills can't play tackle. they have tried for years, but he just can't do it. the only other player left to play tackle is the rookie gilbert. the rumblings on him is he won't be able to handle playing tackle in the NFL. he's considered a player without a motor. he's basically a smaller and lazier version of starks.

gay is still there because he is the immediate backup and part-time starter at CB. look no further then mcfadden and how poorly he plays. that being said, i won't miss gay if he is cut.

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Steeldude, although i understand your reasoning, thinking we could pick up a 3rd QB as a free agent, why would we. You may not like Dixon, but he knows the offense and (although some will disagree) I think he is a capable , albeit, not great or even good, replacement in the short term .

that's just it, he doesn't know the offense. he still struggles. remember kordell? 5+ years of dumbing down the playbook, but nothing worked. IMO, pretty much any free agent QB would be able to grasp enough of the offense to run it short term. st. pierre is available :thumbsup: personally, i think trading dixon would be better, but i doubt anyone would be foolish enough to trade a draft pick for him.

dropping dixon leaves a spot open for a young player who could contribute.

Navy86
09-03-2011, 11:36 AM
IMO, i doubt mclendon is going to be able to play NT at 280 lbs. hoke has played extremely well when called upon. i believe the steelers are 11-2(can't remember exactly) with hoke as the starter.

colon is still here because the steelers have only 3 veteran tackles on the team. colon also happens to be the second best lineman on the steelers after pouncey. hills can't play tackle. they have tried for years, but he just can't do it. the only other player left to play tackle is the rookie gilbert. the rumblings on him is he won't be able to handle playing tackle in the NFL. he's considered a player without a motor. he's basically a smaller and lazier version of starks.

gay is still there because he is the immediate backup and part-time starter at CB. look no further then mcfadden and how poorly he plays. that being said, i won't miss gay if he is cut.

This brings up an interesting point that has bothered me for some time. When looking up McLendon's measurables, during the draft, his measurables were (and still are as one looks them up) around 6'2", 305 lbs, yet the Steelers list him as 6'4", 280lbs. That's quite a discrepancy. While possible to lose 25lbs, it's hard to grow 2"...and when looking at McLendon on the field, he certainly looks more around 300 than 280. Anyone have any knowledge on the discrepancy? Just curious.

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 11:49 AM
This brings up an interesting point that has bothered me for some time. When looking up McLendon's measurables, during the draft, his measurables were (and still are as one looks them up) around 6'2", 305 lbs, yet the Steelers list him as 6'4", 280lbs. That's quite a discrepancy. While possible to lose 25lbs, it's hard to grow 2"...and when looking at McLendon on the field, he certainly looks more around 300 than 280. Anyone have any knowledge on the discrepancy? Just curious.

good point. i only knew his size via the steelers.com site

i just read that he gained weight for his pro day. i am not sure he maintained the weight. i also saw a listing of 6', 2"

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 12:53 PM

I agree on some points.

Brown is the texas guy, allen is the 4th rounder from citadel. cortez allen I wouldn't say had a better preseason. Brown has been consistently good, while allen only played game 4, but did show a lot of promise.

lewis injury isn't serious, he hurt his knee in game 3 but came back to play in game 4, so he's ready to go and not seriously injured by any means.

gay is the starting nickel but i think if mcfadden or ike goes down, keenan is the guy to step in. his skillset is much more suited to an outside corner than covering the slot. if anyone replaces gay it's curtis brown or butler

sure we have a lot of db's, but at this point, we could use some secondary depth. at the very least we have to keep both curtis brown and cortez allen. lewis knows the defense enough to step in for an injury. if anyone in the secondary gets cut it's crezdon butler, but im not sure if they'll do that either, he's shown flashes of potential though i think he's not ready for prime time yet. however he's still not out of the woods, I think brown had a better showing than butler this preseason, and cortez shows a lot of potential. They might consider butler expendable at this point

ricardisimo
09-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah, Gay is going to stay at nickel, unless both starting corners go down again.

Steelersfan87
09-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Where exactly do you get all of your information? So many things that you have said are just completely wrong.

- Keenan Lewis' knee injury was not serious at all. He played against the Panthers. Obviously not serious.
- Cortez Allen is the rookie CB that has been out with injuries, not Curtis Brown. Brown only missed the first preseason game and overall has played well outside of one play.
- Marcus Gilbert has played quite well for a rookie at LT so far and there is speculation that he may be starting over Jonathan Scott by the end of the season if he continues to progress and Scott struggles.
- McLendon played NT last year. Jay Ratliff, by the way, is only 285 pounds.

SunshineMan21
09-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I would be extremely surprised if Hoke were to go. Along with Hood and Batch, he's arguably the most important non-starter on the team. The dude has showed zero dropoff from Hampton for years--unless he's declined hugely in performance this preseason there's no way McClendon takes his job.

Also, I doubt Cortez Allen gets cut--you can't put him on the practice squad because he won't make it through waivers. Cutting Allen=losing Allen. That's why, for example, we kept Dwyer last year, and Allen has shown more than Dwyer did at the same point.

Much as I hope Gay will be the one on the block, I think there's a good chance Crezdon Butler ends up gone. They can't cut Brown or Allen, so it's basically between Gay, Lewis, and Butler.

I'll say:

T Chris Scott--because he's been terrible, and we resigned Essex.
P Jeremy Kapinos--or Sep depending on health
DE Jarrett Crittenton
TE Jon Gilmore
DL Steve McClendon

The last spot is the toughest--it could just as easily be a CB or WR Battle. They could even choose to keep Chris Scott, but with Jonathan Scott, Colon, Gilbert, Hills, and Essex all probably better tackles than him, it's not clear why. The middle three are the guys I'm surest about.

SunshineMan21
09-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I would be extremely surprised if Hoke were to go. Along with Hood and Batch, he's arguably the most important non-starter on the team. The dude has showed zero dropoff from Hampton for years--unless he's declined hugely in performance this preseason there's no way McClendon takes his job.

Also, I doubt Cortez Allen gets cut--you can't put him on the practice squad because he won't make it through waivers. Cutting Allen=losing Allen. That's why, for example, we kept Dwyer last year, and Allen has shown more than Dwyer did at the same point.

Much as I hope Gay will be the one on the block, I think there's a good chance Crezdon Butler ends up gone. They can't cut Brown or Allen, so it's basically between Gay, Lewis, and Butler.

I'll say:

T Chris Scott--because he's been terrible, and we resigned Essex.
P Jeremy Kapinos--or Sep depending on health
DE Jarrett Crittenton
TE Jon Gilmore
DL Steve McClendon

The last spot is the toughest--it could just as easily be a CB or WR Battle. They could even choose to keep Chris Scott, but with Jonathan Scott, Colon, Gilbert, Hills, and Essex all probably better tackles than him, it's not clear why. The middle three are the guys I'm surest about.

LOL . . . as soon as I post this, Crezdon Butler gets cut, Hills gets cutt over Chris Scott (maybe his age?), and Gay stays.

PhantomJB93
09-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Wow, Crezdon Butler? I understand we don't want to keep too many CBs but...I was really not expecting him to get cut.

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Where exactly do you get all of your information? So many things that you have said are just completely wrong.

- Keenan Lewis' knee injury was not serious at all. He played against the Panthers. Obviously not serious.
- Cortez Allen is the rookie CB that has been out with injuries, not Curtis Brown. Brown only missed the first preseason game and overall has played well outside of one play.
- Marcus Gilbert has played quite well for a rookie at LT so far and there is speculation that he may be starting over Jonathan Scott by the end of the season if he continues to progress and Scott struggles.
- McLendon played NT last year. Jay Ratliff, by the way, is only 285 pounds.

1. i asked about his knee injury. that's why there was a question mark at the end.

2. i said i mixed up the two DBs names.

3. gilbert's draft card says "Lacks physical and mental toughness and too often looks for an easy way out. Has a lazy streak and gets by on his natural talent. Plays too soft and catches". here is another bit of info - "OL Coach Sean Kugler isn't sure where the 6-6.1, 330-pounder will play. He mentioned that he likes the way Gilbert pulls, and that he could end up at guard, but that "his position will come out." . the word is he will either play RT or G. did you see the article on pouncey and gilbert? it said, "Even Pouncey acknowledged that Gilbert might have thought he didn't have to work as hard because he was a high draft choice".

4. i see ratliff listed as 303 lbs. is dallas' 3-4 scheme the same as the steelers? sorry, but if mclendon is really 280 then he needs to gain weight to play NT. 280 is also light for the steelers DEs. kiesel struggles against the run because of his lack of weight.

Steelersfan87
09-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Your information on Gilbert dates to the very beginning of training camp and is no longer valid. He's clearly the LT of the future.

effyou515
09-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Tony Hills
Jeremy Kapinos
Crezdon Butler
John Gilmore
Jarrett Crittenton

So who was the clairvoyant that picked them? :rofl:

Steeldude
09-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Tony Hills
Jeremy Kapinos
Crezdon Butler
John Gilmore
Jarrett Crittenton

So who was the clairvoyant that picked them? :rofl:

i went by what the steelers might do.

i wanted hills cut the year he was drafted.