PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Merriweather?

ETL
09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Would he be better than Mundy or Will Allen? just curious

55BaileyFan
09-03-2011, 03:35 PM
He is better than both of them, I would much rather have him than Mundy or Allen.

ETL
09-03-2011, 03:39 PM
If so, i can't see them offering more than the veteran minimum. Maybe the Jets will want him to spice up the rivalry

theplatypus
09-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Never happen

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 03:54 PM
let's not forget that he won't be nearly as effective in a steelers uniform. just because he played for the pats meant he won't draw 15 yard penalties. the moment he puts on the black and gold he will get penalized anytime he sneezes on someone and fined $500,000 a year

Kingmagyar
09-03-2011, 06:53 PM
That is incredible they released him. What did he do? Did he impregnate Belichick's daughter or something? WOW -WOW- WOW. Jets or Ravens will come calling.

theplatypus
09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
That is incredible they released him. What did he do? Did he impregnate Belichick's daughter or something? WOW -WOW- WOW. Jets or Ravens will come calling.

I read something about him freelancing plays and falling out of favor with the coaches because of it.

SteeleReign
09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Say wha?!??! Merriweather gone?! I say bring his butt in here!! Drain his brain for week 8 and then get rid of him if he ain't cuttin' it.

fer522
09-03-2011, 07:15 PM
i'm willing to donate my paycheck if we sign him

SteeleReign
09-03-2011, 07:30 PM

I'm willing to donate your paycheck too! :chuckle:

Moose
09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Good player yea, but I'm not sure I'd want him here. There has to be a reason the 'cheat' got rid of him. Ole saying, 'just be careful what you wish for'.

DanRooney
09-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Good player yea, but I'm not sure I'd want him here. There has to be a reason the 'cheat' got rid of him. Ole saying, 'just be careful what you wish for'.

Yeah he must suck because they cut him...(not sure where the rolling eyes smiley is at)

If anything, bring him in to and learn every last thing about the Patriot defense and Brady. He's also an immediate upgrade to Ryan f'n Mundy.

Pentheon
09-03-2011, 10:58 PM

Im willing to accept your paycheck :thumbsup:

SunshineMan21
09-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Meriwether was a relatively bad player in New England--he made the Pro Bowl because he plays for the Patriots. I don't think Belichick was fooled, though--Meriwether started because the Patriots didn't have anybody else.

tony hipchest
09-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Drain his brain for week 8 .that would be like squeezing a mushroom instead of an orange to make a glass of juice.

thats why he was cut. he is as dumb as a box of rocks, and had no clue how to play withing belichicks system.

theres absolutely NO WAY he could learn dick lebeau's. mundy is a better fit and coming along just how ryan clark did, plus he has had a great camp and preseason.

hes probably #1 on the depth chart for both troy and clark. thats valuable and making oneself almost indespinsable.

its the steelers way.

fer522
09-04-2011, 08:38 AM
that would be like squeezing a mushroom instead of an orange to make a glass of juice.

thats why he was cut. he is as dumb as a box of rocks, and had no clue how to play withing belichicks system.

theres absolutely NO WAY he could learn dick lebeau's. mundy is a better fit and coming along just how ryan clark did, plus he has had a great camp and preseason.

hes probably #1 on the depth chart for both troy and clark. thats valuable and making oneself almost indespinsable.

its the steelers way.

i guess i get to keep my paycheck :chuckle:

SteeleReign
09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
that would be like squeezing a mushroom instead of an orange to make a glass of juice.

its the steelers way.

Lol...good point. I imagine a glass of mushroom juice is nasty too. He went to the Bears anyway.

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Can't believe we're saying Ryan Mundy is better than a two time Pro Bowl safety. There's a reason Meriweather was snatched up by a good defensie team almost immediately after he was released. If Mundy were to get got, he'd probably have the option of going to the Arizona Cardinals and...well that's about it.

fer522
09-04-2011, 04:07 PM
bears already signed him :banging: :banging: :banging:
is Gay doing someones daughter from the FO or
is someone from the FO doing him :noidea:

SunshineMan21
09-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Can't believe we're saying Ryan Mundy is better than a two time Pro Bowl safety. There's a reason Meriweather was snatched up by a good defensie team almost immediately after he was released. If Mundy were to get got, he'd probably have the option of going to the Arizona Cardinals and...well that's about it.

Are we actually using Pro Bowls as a method of player evaluation? He's terrible. He takes bad angles. He misses tackles. He freelances and gets burned in coverage. He's the safety version of DeAngelo Hall--casual fans like how exciting he is, and so he makes the Pro Bowl, but football personnel know he's a liability.

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Are we actually using Pro Bowls as a method of player evaluation? He's terrible. He takes bad angles. He misses tackles. He freelances and gets burned in coverage. He's the safety version of DeAngelo Hall--casual fans like how exciting he is, and so he makes the Pro Bowl, but football personnel know he's a liability.

I disagree. He had a bad season last year, but they had a lot of young talent surrounding him. And I'd bet a lot of it had to do with the loss of Seymour up front. He freelances pretty well despite not having any pass rush. If he had our pressure based front 7, he would have all-pro numbers imo. His INTs already speak for itself.

DeAngelo Hall had a bad year in Oakland but who doesn't? Hall is a great cover corner. He'd be an upgrade over any CB on our roster outside Taylor. And by upgrade I mean a significant upgrade.

tony hipchest
09-04-2011, 11:13 PM
most fans tend to overlook the most basic things when they try to play arm chair GM-

salary cap. steelers play within it. this is fundamental.
merriwether AND d. hall are not only grossly over rated but vastly overpaid.
steelers dont deal with headcases or potential hold outs.
dick lebeaus defense isnt built for shmucks.
his defense isnt learned a week before opening day. a defender aquired today would be worthless for weeks.

no athelete can replace polamalu. few can effectively back him up. it takes a special player to play along side him (=no ego and willing to sacrifice with football acumen as opposed to relying on raw skill or sheer talent.).

its really amazingly simple to see why mundy is a better fit for the steelers and why merriwether is a bad idea. especially if one pays attention to how he has grown, learned and developed (something merriwether has shown to be incapable of).

SunshineMan21
09-05-2011, 12:35 AM
I disagree. He had a bad season last year, but they had a lot of young talent surrounding him. And I'd bet a lot of it had to do with the loss of Seymour up front. He freelances pretty well despite not having any pass rush. If he had our pressure based front 7, he would have all-pro numbers imo. His INTs already speak for itself.

DeAngelo Hall had a bad year in Oakland but who doesn't? Hall is a great cover corner. He'd be an upgrade over any CB on our roster outside Taylor. And by upgrade I mean a significant upgrade.

In terms of completion percentages and yards per pass, Hall has consistently been among the worst corners in football throughout his entire career. INTs tend not to be a predictive stat for any but a very small category of players (Polamalu, Reed).

Hall is pretty much the NFL's poster boy for 'overrated.' He might be a significant upgrade over some of the guys on our roster, but he's nowhere close to the All-Pro status that ESPN would have people believe.

As far as Meriwether goes, if he didn't want significant money it wouldn't hurt to spin the tires a bit (if the Bears hadn't already tried that), but he's the type of undisciplined player whose mental mistakes would be catastrophic in Lebeau's defense. Remember Anthony Smith?

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 01:24 AM
In terms of completion percentages and yards per pass, Hall has consistently been among the worst corners in football throughout his entire career. INTs tend not to be a predictive stat for any but a very small category of players (Polamalu, Reed).

Hall is pretty much the NFL's poster boy for 'overrated.' He might be a significant upgrade over some of the guys on our roster, but he's nowhere close to the All-Pro status that ESPN would have people believe.

As far as Meriwether goes, if he didn't want significant money it wouldn't hurt to spin the tires a bit (if the Bears hadn't already tried that), but he's the type of undisciplined player whose mental mistakes would be catastrophic in Lebeau's defense. Remember Anthony Smith?

Comparing Anthony Smith to a first round talent in Brandon Meriweather? Come on now. And DeAngelo is still light years beyond McFadden or Gay.

Mundy has grown? Where did you get this from? There's no logical explanation to why anyone thinks Mundy is a better fit than Brandon Meriweather other than affordability. Last time Mundy saw significant action, we saw one of the worst Steeler secondaries in the modern era. He really hasn't shown anything at all. He's a dime a dozen backup safety.

LeBeau's defense has plenty of room for 'shmucks.' If I'm not mistaken, William Gay is still on the team.

SunshineMan21
09-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Comparing Anthony Smith to a first round talent in Brandon Meriweather? Come on now. And DeAngelo is still light years beyond McFadden or Gay.

Mundy has grown? Where did you get this from? There's no logical explanation to why anyone thinks Mundy is a better fit than Brandon Meriweather other than affordability. Last time Mundy saw significant action, we saw one of the worst Steeler secondaries in the modern era. He really hasn't shown anything at all. He's a dime a dozen backup safety.

LeBeau's defense has plenty of room for 'shmucks.' If I'm not mistaken, William Gay is still on the team.

I'm not sure why Meriwether's draft status should have any bearing on what kind of a player he is today. Otherwise I suppose JaMarcus Russell's #1 pick talent would still be in the league. He's probably a better player than Smith on balance--but he's the same type of player. There's a reason the Pats cut him--it's not exactly like they're stacked in the secondary. I may hate Belichick's guts, but he very rarely cuts a guy at the wrong point in his career (see Randy Moss, Lawrence Maroney, Mike Vrabel, etc . . . )

He might be better than Mundy, too--I'm no fan of Mundy's, and if you'll read my post I mentioned that had it been possible to pick him up for the minimum, I would be in favor of it.

I just think that the logic that because he's made the Pro Bowl he's a good player is pretty poor reasoning.

As far as Hall goes, he may be a better corner than Willie Gay, but that's not saying a whole heck of a lot. Let me just say this--Hall has been below average in terms of actual passes allowed (see FO game charting stats) every year he's been in the league. Sometimes he's been among the worst in the game. When you get your two big paydays from possibly the two worst-run organizations in the game (Oakland and Washington), it's a pretty good sign that the rest of the league has clued into how overrated you are.

He's made Pro Bowls because of availability heuristics--people remember the interceptions and the speed, but not the constant lapses in coverage and the huge plays allowed.

Chasing bad players who made Pro Bowls based on flawed reasoning is what the Bengals or the Redskins do. Not what the Steelers do.

Re: Mundy's growth, I don't think I ever posted about that. :noidea: