PDA

View Full Version : Notable players that should have been cut

Wallabeast17
09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
C. Scott
Arnaz Battle
Larry Foote
Willie Gay

Just to name a few players in my opion that should not be on this roster right now!
I haven't gone through the entire list so I'm sure theres more.
Again this is just my opion and what else do we have to talk about until the Ravens game?
So with that who do you think should have been dropped....

Fire Arians
09-03-2011, 07:25 PM
chris scott and arnaz battle i thought were locks.

larry foote and gay i can understand (as much as i hate to say it), MLB has a lack of experienced depth. gay had to stay because while there is a lot of young talent at cb, it's mostly untested talent

i'm glad we didn't cut wesley saunders though, he could have been a steal for us. we'll find out in time

mikegrimey
09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Some of the people on here talk about Larry Foote like he's sitting on the sideline doing coke.

I remember he came in a couple of times last year and played really good, particularly in the first bengals game (if I remember correct) he came up huge on key third and shorts w/ stuffing the run. He's reliable depth.

55BaileyFan
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I thought Foote was gone too. There were a few good young LB that were in camp (Mortty Ivy) that didn't cost 3M. Battle I didn't understand either...and Gay, why the hell is he still here?

Wallabeast17
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
When it comes to Foote it's more or less the price tag for me...I can understand the expeienced depth but 3M?!

SteeleReign
09-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Not that the FO would admit to this, but there's a thought that this may be our last hurrah with this veteran group. Next year will likely be a youth movement. With that said, I imagine that's why a guy like Foote is still here.

mikegrimey
09-03-2011, 08:41 PM
From what I have seen Foote's salary for this year is 2.1 Mil, not sure where u are all seeing that he has a $3 million salary for the year. Either way I don't know if it's too unreasonable or what the normal tag is for a guy who is a semi-starter, doesn't seem outlandish to me though.

SunshineMan21
09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure why we would cut Foote--he could start for plenty of teams, and I haven't seen any indication that the young guys offer anything that he doesn't.

tony hipchest
09-03-2011, 09:28 PM
the steelers coaching staff values experience and familiarity with a system much more than the fans do.

having the same coaches/system and players who know the system and how its supposed to be executed is gonna give the few teams in that situation a HUGE advantage over the many teams that have made changes.

this season is very unique and the coaches recognize this whereas the majority of fans seem oblivious.

the cuts make sense.

hell, people are still crying thad gibson was cut (by 3 teams in less than a year).

tony hipchest
09-03-2011, 09:37 PM
larry foote- one of like 3 current LB's to even play in 3 SB's

one of a very select few to have started and won 2 rings.

thats still worth something in the NFL. Plus hes had a great camp and preseason.

sbbound
09-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure what's up with the anti Foote sentiment here, but he plays a vital role on this roster. He's a fantastic run stuffing linebacker, and can confidently step in and play the position whenever he is needed. Experienced, veteran depth is never a bad thing.. the NFL season is long, and unfortunately injuries are pleantiful.

mizzouristeeler
09-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, and oh what's his name? Oh yeah GAY!

ricardisimo
09-03-2011, 10:40 PM
the steelers coaching staff values experience and familiarity with a system much more than the fans do.

having the same coaches/system and players who know the system and how its supposed to be executed is gonna give the few teams in that situation a HUGE advantage over the many teams that have made changes.

this season is very unique and the coaches recognize this whereas the majority of fans seem oblivious.

the cuts make sense.

hell, people are still crying thad gibson was cut (by 3 teams in less than a year).
On that note, I'm eager to see who does better this season: New England's pass D after cutting ties with its veteran safety Brandon Merriweather, or Pittsburgh's pass D after retaining its "dead weight" corner Gay. I say the Cheats' pass D stays in the cellar, while ours only gets better. I say continuity wins the day.

3rdandlong
09-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Part with Gay. Everyone else is worthy of a roster spot. Although, I will say, the Steelers should cut down on Mendenhall's carries by splitting them with Redman

pancake
09-03-2011, 11:15 PM
larry foote- one of like 3 current LB's to even play in 3 SB's

one of a very select few to have started and won 2 rings.

thats still worth something in the NFL. Plus hes had a great camp and preseason.

I thought so too...

Wallace108
09-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I say continuity wins the day.

That mentality kept Kordell around for way too long. :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
09-03-2011, 11:30 PM
From what I have seen Foote's salary for this year is 2.1 Mil, not sure where u are all seeing that he has a $3 million salary for the year. Either way I don't know if it's too unreasonable or what the normal tag is for a guy who is a semi-starter, doesn't seem outlandish to me though.
http://burgh.us/2tq

Corey_J
09-03-2011, 11:41 PM
when was the last time that the coaching staff let us down...........................? Beuhler...................beuhler..............get over it and enjoy the next run to the superbowl ! Bring on the FKN ravens !

Wallace108
09-04-2011, 12:09 AM
when was the last time that the coaching staff let us down

When they failed to unleash hell in December. :chuckle:

ETL
09-04-2011, 12:35 AM

the cuts make sense.

Tony you are absolutely correct. Consistency and experience are the Steeler ways and the main reason for year-in year-out success.

I feel there are so many fans who think something "new" or "different" is always better. There is definitely a time to make a change and the Steelers tend to do that, in general, at the right time.

tony hipchest
09-04-2011, 01:06 AM
That mentality kept Kordell around for way too long. :doh:it wasnt necessarilly a mentality that kept kordell around. it was the fact that kent graham and mike tomczac absolutely sucked. that and it was a mistake to release jim miller. but it was also a mistake to release johnny unitas and pas on dan marino, so i think the jim miller deal is the most forgivable.

kordell was gone as soon as we got tommy maddox (which isnt saying much) and he was gone as soon as we drafted big ben.

heres the thing... in the kordell era, the qb draft classes blew chunks between 1990-2000.

there are absolute no name scrubs and nfl flops who were drafted between aikman/favre (89-91) and bledsoe/manning (97-98) [or so]. kordell was the best option we had, and we rode it to 2 champ games in 1997 and 2001.

teh "mentality" you speak of is the exact same mentality that brought us charlie batch and byron leftwich.

we simply use veteran, past starter qb's as our primary back ups. i would say that mentality is a fairly decent one unless speaking of graham and tomczac.

if the steelers were perfect, we would boast the likes of unitas, marino, bradshaw, and roethlisburger winning championships and going into the hall of fame.

but no team could be that perfect and dominant, now could they?

we were the closest.

as it stands, we are in good company with the greatest championship teams.

starr/favre (toss in rodgers if you wish)
staubach/favre
montana/young
bradshaw/big ben

none of those great teams can boast the dominant defense we shown in multiple eras.

Steeldude
09-04-2011, 01:25 AM
dixon should have been cut. i wouldn't mind seeing mcfadden cut either. at least they fianlly came to their senses and cut hills. foote is average on a good day, but i believe they kept him because fox left.

Steeldude
09-04-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure what's up with the anti Foote sentiment here, but he plays a vital role on this roster. He's a fantastic run stuffing linebacker, and can confidently step in and play the position whenever he is needed. Experienced, veteran depth is never a bad thing.. the NFL season is long, and unfortunately injuries are pleantiful.

since when is foote a good run stuffing LB? foote should be called 'front lawn" because he gets mowed over to often. foote takes poor angles and waits for the ball carrier to come to him. i am not saying this happens every time, but it happens more then it should. foote also gets pushed back too often. his foot speed is comparable to hampton's.:chuckle:

the lions said goodbye to foote immediately when 2009 ended. it's not good for a LB to be listed as statistically the most burned LB in the NFL in regards to pass defense

Wallace108
09-04-2011, 01:51 AM
it wasnt necessarilly a mentality that kept kordell around. it was the fact that kent graham and mike tomczac absolutely sucked. that and it was a mistake to release jim miller. but it was also a mistake to release johnny unitas and pas on dan marino, so i think the jim miller deal is the most forgivable.

kordell was gone as soon as we got tommy maddox (which isnt saying much) and he was gone as soon as we drafted big ben.

heres the thing... in the kordell era, the qb draft classes blew chunks between 1990-2000.

there are absolute no name scrubs and nfl flops who were drafted between aikman/favre (89-91) and bledsoe/manning (97-98) [or so]. kordell was the best option we had, and we rode it to 2 champ games in 1997 and 2001.

teh "mentality" you speak of is the exact same mentality that brought us charlie batch and byron leftwich.

we simply use veteran, past starter qb's as our primary back ups. i would say that mentality is a fairly decent one unless speaking of graham and tomczac.

if the steelers were perfect, we would boast the likes of unitas, marino, bradshaw, and roethlisburger winning championships and going into the hall of fame.

but no team could be that perfect and dominant, now could they?

we were the closest.

as it stands, we are in good company with the greatest championship teams.

starr/favre (toss in rodgers if you wish)
staubach/favre
montana/young
bradshaw/big ben

none of those great teams can boast the dominant defense we shown in multiple eras.

I was just being sarcastic in mentioning Kordell. I take a shot at him whenever I can. I should have included this: http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/1072540953.gif

I don't think continuity is the determining factor in whether or not they keep a player. They didn't keep Gay and Foote because of continuity. Much like with Kordell, just as your assessment shows, there aren't any better options. It has nothing to do with continuity.

If continuity was a determining factor, they would have kept players like Rod Woodson and Joey Porter, who still had a few years left in them.

Steelersfan87
09-04-2011, 02:31 AM
Gay's spot I believe is one of a placeholder. His spot is based on the lack of confidence (due to lack of opportunities) for the young corners, and it's pretty obvious that the front office knew this, which is why they signed him to only a one year deal. I think Butler will be picked up by somebody, but Warren should make it to the practice squad, and will probably take Gay's spot next year unless the Steelers draft another CB.

Rick5895
09-04-2011, 06:30 AM
This has been an abnormal of season. With the lockout , young players and rookies were unable to get in early and learn. Keeping the vets mentioned here helps keep a championship caliber team at the top.
LIke a few others I am shocked at the anti Foote movement, He does his job when asked, you just can't have all young guys with potential as the primary backups. The same people screaming for Foote to be cut would be the scame guys screaming if the ids had to play because of injury and crapped the bed.
I thought gay was a goner, but with the injuries to BMac and lewis I guess they felt they had to keep him.

Kingmagyar
09-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Who would have claimed Chris Scott off waivers? He could have easily been put on the practice squad and the team could have kept or signed another player to the roster and you would still have Scott for the future and the extra guy on the roster. Makes no sense keeping Scott on the roster.

mikegrimey
09-04-2011, 10:10 AM
http://burgh.us/2tq

Thanks. I guess they split his signing bonus over the 3 years of his contract, that's where the extra 600K comes in. I still don't find it an outlandish price for a guy that can reasonably be a starter if we need him to. It seems obvious that the coahces do not feel he is being outplayed by any of the other potential backups, or else they probably would drop him.

The remarks on here about him being "run over so often" that he should be dubbed teh front lawn are totally unfounded. When he came in last year he was a good run stuffer, even made a couple of excellent plays we needed.

ETL
09-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Chris Scott? Really?

I would not be surprised if a veteran is signed here (for league minimum) and he is released.

As for Larry Foote - he has some value but not at that price. I've heard the Redskins will sometimes put a veteran player in the corner by telling them to take a paycut or be cut ... after all the rosters have been finalized. They use the fact that he won't be able to get on another team as leverage.

I hope the Steelers don't do business this way but who knows what goes on in the background.

ricardisimo
09-04-2011, 10:37 AM
That mentality kept Kordell around for way too long. :doh:
If they were trying to force Gay into the starting corner role, then your comparison would be more accurate. Or conversely, if they had only used Kordell occasionally, just to mix it up, as many of us were hoping at the time. Gay is not a starter, and never will be again (barring some major tragedy with both starters.) He's just a role player, and decent enough at it to hold the position until someone else comes along.

LVSteelersfan
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I have nothing against Foote (as long as he isn't thrust into the starting role due to injury) but I cannot for the life of me figure out why Gay hangs on. And they actually play him in games so the other team launches right down the center of the field like no one is there. I was really rooting for Butler to get the nod over him and unseat him but I guess he was not good enough in the eyes of the coaching staff. The injury bug never occurs with players like Gay because they are never in the play and never have any contact to speak of. That keeps them around way too long. Lets hope that Keenan Lewis and the two new rookies get good enough to send Gay to the bench and then off the team.

austinfrench76
09-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm not a coach or part of the Steelers but I would have kept Butler over Gay. To me, it's actually a no-brianer. You start Ike adn BMac with Lewis your 3rd corner. Butler #4. I really don't think he would have done WORSE and he's younger. We lost a decent 4th CB to the f$#%@^& Cardinals.