Some or most of these guys I assume.
DaMon Cromartie-Smith S
Keith Williams G
John Clay RB
Donavon Warrren CB
Wes Lyons WR
Corbin Bryant DL or Jarrett Crittenton DL
Thaddeus Gibson LB (bring him back)

Crezdon Butler will be signed elsewhere I assume. Wes Lyons is my personal favorite for the PS.

Tyler Grisham has tweeted that he would be signed if available. I think he will be because the Steelers are the only team in football that likes this guy. What is he the Steelers mascot or something. The guy runs 80 plays in the pre-season and gets like 2 or 3 catches. The ball is thrown in his direction and he raises his arms up as high as he can and the ball floats over his head because he has no vertical.

Wallabeast17
09-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Eh it's pretty close. However I do not believe anyone will pick up Butler so he will be back and probably Tyler Grisham but not Thad Gibson. IMO

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Butler just tweeted, "I'm an Arizona Cardinal"

theplatypus
09-04-2011, 12:24 PM

surprise, surprise, surprise

Navy86
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
surprise, surprise, surprise

Funny, how if we had cut Gay, he'd still be on the open market...I really need to stop this "sour grapes" stuff I guess...it is what it is...

Navy86
09-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Back to the topic...it's being reported that Ivy has signed and Malecki was seen at the facility and will probably sign. I'd love to see anyone of the three Safeties Ahmad Black, Mark Legree, or Shiloh Keo signed. In the end, I expect the following:

LB Mortty Ivy
OL John Malecki
DB Donovan Warren
DB Damon Cromartie-Smith
OL Keith Williams
WR Wes Lyons
RB John Clay
TE Jamie McCoy

EDIT: I guess DE C. Bryant, WR T. Grisham and NT Anthony Gray are possibilities as well

lasvegasguy
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Steelers West at it again. :banging::banging:

LVSteelersfan
09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I really like Lyons but he has no chance whatsoever to break onto this team with the talent they have. Of course Hines Ward is just hanging on for another year at most so he might have a chance next year. Bringing Cotchery to the team is what sunk Lyons.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Clay, J. McCoy, Grisham, Turner, Malecki, Bryant, Ivy and Cromartie-Smith were named to the PS...

theplatypus
09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Funny, how if we had cut Gay, he'd still be on the open market...I really need to stop this "sour grapes" stuff I guess...it is what it is...

Where did you find a working crystal ball?

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 01:17 PM
No team expressed any interest in Gay. He was a free agent in the offseason. That's why he signed back with us.

theplatypus
09-04-2011, 01:42 PM
No team expressed any interest in Gay. He was a free agent in the offseason. That's why he signed back with us.

Being that we signed him less than 24hours after free agency began that's difficult claim to make.

wyn50
09-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Steelers sign eight to practice squad
Sunday, September 04, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers signed eight players to their practice squad today and named four team captains for the 2011 season.

The eight players are running back John Clay, tight end/fullback Jamie McCoy, wide receiver Tyler Grisham, offensive tackle Trevis Turner, guard John Malecki, defensive lineman Corbin Bryant, linebacker Mortty Ivy and defensive back Da'Mon Cromartie Smith.

Ben Roethlisberger and Hines Ward will serve as captains on offense, James Farrior on defense and Arnaz Battle on special teams.

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Being that we signed him less than 24hours after free agency began that's difficult claim to make.

3 days after free agency started. No teams expressed any interest. I guarantee you no team will express any interest after the cancer leaves next season.

theplatypus
09-04-2011, 04:46 PM
3 days after free agency started. No teams expressed any interest. I guarantee you no team will express any interest after the cancer leaves next season.

hmmm

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
hmmm

my magic 8 ball told me that after i made it watch every game of his for the past 2 season ;)

Steeldude
09-04-2011, 04:59 PM
IMO, i would have kept grisham over battle. he's younger, cheaper and has more upside. battle being a so-called special teams ace isn't really a factor any longer due to the new kickoff rules. it doesn't matter now since grisham is on the practice squad

Steeldude
09-04-2011, 05:02 PM

shouldn't you feel the same way about mcfadden? he's worse in coverage and is actually starting.

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 06:13 PM
shouldn't you feel the same way about mcfadden? he's worse in coverage and is actually starting.

I really don't think he's worse than Gay in coverage. BMac is much faster than Gay and gets assigned to elite receivers more often than you think. Do you remember the Falcons game last year where he was covering Roddy White for 4 quarters? I don't think Gay has ever been assigned to a legit #1 like White. Usually guys like Jordy Nelson and TEs.

Steeldude
09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I really don't think he's worse than Gay in coverage. BMac is much faster than Gay and gets assigned to elite receivers more often than you think. Do you remember the Falcons game last year where he was covering Roddy White for 4 quarters? I don't think Gay has ever been assigned to a legit #1 like White. Usually guys like Jordy Nelson and TEs.

you do realize that mcfadden was on of the most burned CBs in 2009 and 2010? i remember the falcons' game. white wnet 13 catches for 111 yards. i also remember the ravens' game when mcfadden got burned for the game winning TD. i remember him giving up two TD in the saints game also. my memory might be a little shady, but i believe he was the burned.

mcfadden: 77 burns on 116 targets, 870 yards, 5 TD

Steelersfan87
09-04-2011, 07:11 PM
IMO, i would have kept grisham over battle. he's younger, cheaper and has more upside. battle being a so-called special teams ace isn't really a factor any longer due to the new kickoff rules. it doesn't matter now since grisham is on the practice squad

Grisham has no upside. He's already at the peak of his abilities, and it's really not very impressive. I don't get the fawning over this guy at all. He's apparently a nice kid, but that's about it. And Battle outperformed him as a wide receiver in preseason. And the kickoff rules don't affect punts at all.

Steeldude
09-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Grisham has no upside. He's already at the peak of his abilities, and it's really not very impressive. I don't get the fawning over this guy at all. He's apparently a nice kid, but that's about it. And Battle outperformed him as a wide receiver in preseason. And the kickoff rules don't affect punts at all.

do tell how you know he has peaked. IMO, grisham has more upside than battle because he is an unknown commodity. he is only 24 years old.let's just call it my hunch. we have seen what battle can do for $1,362,500 a year which is basically nothing. how does battle have more upside?

battle out performed him? when you aren't really thrown to how can you make a showing?

i don't get the fawning over mcfadden and foote, but yet they remain chewing up cap room. they have no upside. they are both average on their best days.

it's all a moot point now since grisham is still with the team :coffee:

Kingmagyar
09-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Grisham over Wes Lyons? or Armand Robinson?

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 11:20 AM
you do realize that mcfadden was on of the most burned CBs in 2009 and 2010? i remember the falcons' game. white wnet 13 catches for 111 yards. i also remember the ravens' game when mcfadden got burned for the game winning TD. i remember him giving up two TD in the saints game also. my memory might be a little shady, but i believe he was the burned.

mcfadden: 77 burns on 116 targets, 870 yards, 5 TD

No doubt. I agree with you that he sucks but I don't think Gay would be any better at the #2 spot. Gay gets burnt and picked on all the time and that's covering tight ends and #3 receivers.

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Agree with both. I don't know exactly why Grisham has had the hype around him. Maybe everyone in Pittsburgh expected him to be another Wes Welker because he's white. He really hasn't done anything except for complain about PI calls. But I look at it as Battle stole Butler's roster spot. That's all I'm going to say about that :mad:

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 05:02 PM
do tell how you know he has peaked. IMO, grisham has more upside than battle because he is an unknown commodity. he is only 24 years old.let's just call it my hunch. we have seen what battle can do for $1,362,500 a year which is basically nothing. how does battle have more upside?

2 full years on the team and a third preseason should be enough for the team to think you're good enough to make the roster. He's short and slow and not Wes Welker. You cannot become faster and taller. He serves no purpose because the Steelers have more WRs than they need already. This is his last year with the team and probably his last year in football, or at least the NFL.

battle out performed him? when you aren't really thrown to how can you make a showing?

Grisham wasn't thrown to a ton because he couldn't get open. That's why they force fed him a couple of quick screen passes at the line of scrimmage, because he wasn't recording any other receptions. The Steelers obviously trust Battle more as a receiver since he was almost always brought on to the field ahead of him. I think that says enough.

i don't get the fawning over mcfadden and foote, but yet they remain chewing up cap room. they have no upside. they are both average on their best days.

McFadden is the only proven commodity on the roster as a starter right now. It takes actual experience to prove you can be a starter, and none of the players behind him have that yet. I would hardly call being able to realize this fact "fawning". In fact, most people seem to be in agreement that he will be gone next year. As for Foote, he's not even a starter. He doesn't need an "upside". But the fact that Farrior is 36 makes having a veteran with experience in the system (starting experience, no less) very important, and when he did come on to the field last year, he played very well. In fact, he looked better than he did in 2008. Their cap hit is irrelevant because the team is under the cap and have nobody to sign.

it's all a moot point now since grisham is still with the team :coffee:

I still would have kept Wes Lyons (or Armand Robinson). Since no WR on the practice squad will be seeing any time in 2011, it would make sense to keep players with much greater upside than short, slow, at-his-peak Grisham.

Steeldude
09-06-2011, 12:16 AM
No doubt. I agree with you that he sucks but I don't think Gay would be any better at the #2 spot. Gay gets burnt and picked on all the time and that's covering tight ends and #3 receivers.

oh i agree, gay is nothing to get excited over either. they are both expendable in my book. IMO, gay is slightly better in coverage, but mcfadden is a far better tackler in run support.

what's funny is that in 2009 the top 3 most burned CBs in the NFL were gay, mcfadden and taylor. the most burned LB that year was foote. now they are all here :thumbsup:

Steelersfan87
09-06-2011, 12:21 AM
What is your definition of a "burn", anyway? To me, getting burned is giving up a big play.

Fire Arians
09-06-2011, 12:49 AM

actually i think we already tried that in 2009 and that was a disaster :chuckle:

Steeldude
09-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Grisham wasn't thrown to a ton because he couldn't get open

please explain how you know this? seems to me if he just couldn't get open, is slow and has no upside then the steelers wouldn't waste a PS spot on him. they may very well release him for another WR to take his spot, but then again maybe they see something in him.

McFadden is the only proven commodity on the roster as a starter right now

proven as one of the most burned starting CBs in 2010.

and none of the players behind him have that yet

hmmm...yet mcfadden lost his job to gay in 2008. how can you say gay does not have experience to be starter? he is no worse than mcfadden. he is also 4 times cheaper.

he played very well

are we talking about the same larry foote? the guy who is often out of position and tends to wait for the ball carrier to come to him? the one released by the lions after one year? statistically 2009's most burned LB in the NFL.

Since no WR on the practice squad will be seeing any time in 2011

depends on injuries.

Steeldude
09-06-2011, 01:38 AM
What is your definition of a "burn", anyway? To me, getting burned is giving up a big play.

the percentage of targets for every defender that resulted in catches.

what is your definition of big plays? TDs? game winning TDs. passes over a certain amount of yards?

Steelersfan87
09-06-2011, 01:44 AM
please explain how you know this? seems to me if he just couldn't get open, is slow and has no upside then the steelers wouldn't waste a PS spot on him. they may very well release him for another WR to take his spot, but then again maybe they see something in him.

My observation is based on watching the preseason games. He was rarely open.

proven as one of the most burned starting CBs in 2010.

Using the word "burned" is a loaded term indicating an exceptionally bad play. By "burn" you mean "pass caught against". And by that metric Bryant McFadden allowed the 4th highest completion percentage when targeted in the league last year. Yet he fared pretty well in YPA and YPC, and was not in the bottom 20 (meaning I don't know exactly where he was, to be completely honest) CBs in terms of completions allowed per plays in coverage.

hmmm...yet mcfadden lost his job to gay in 2008. how can you say gay does not have experience to be starter? he is no worse than mcfadden. he is also 4 times cheaper.

McFadden didn't lose his job. He injured his arm and he was gradually worked back into the lineup, splitting time with Gay. I excluded Gay from the conversation about CBs lower on the depth chart because he is not an outside corner, which he proved in 2009. It's highly possible that he never plays a conventional down on the outside for the rest of his career.

are we talking about the same larry foote? the guy who is often out of position and tends to wait for the ball carrier to come to him? the one released by the lions after one year? statistically 2009's most burned LB in the NFL.

Foote was not released. He signed a one year deal. He didn't want to re-sign with the Lions. And I couldn't give less of a shit how he performed when he was with the Lions. I'm talking about last season, and if you actually watched last season while he was in the game, he did play very well. Also don't forget that he had to play out of position in a 4-3 while he was with the Lions. Here's what Pro Football Focus had to say about Foote in the week 17 game recap against the Browns:

Larry Foote (+2.5) is some insurance policy for the Steelers; each time Foote has seen sustained action off the bench this season he’s come up with, at worst, a solid display. Foote spurned a starting role to return to Pittsburgh as a backup, and to have such a quality all-around defender as a backup is a rare treat. Foote graded positively in run defense, pass coverage and as a pass-rusher on Sunday, with the sack, hit and pressure being his strongest impact. Does Foote yet have a key role to play for the Steelers in the playoffs?

As a bonus, here's what they said after the Dolphins game:

Larry Foote (+2.9) was one of three Steeler inside linebackers to impress as Dick LeBeau‘s interior defense dominated the middle. All three Steelers’ ILB graded above +2.0 overall (James Farrior +3.1, Lawrence Timmons +2.4), but Foote’s grade on 18 snaps was particularly impressive. The RILB registered a sack and two pressures on only five blitzes. All three of his tackles were stops and in coverage he surrendered a solitary 5-yard reception. It was interesting (to say the least) to see Foote leave a starting role in Detroit to return to a backup role in Pittsburgh, but if he continues to put in spot performances like this, Steelers fans won’t be disappointed.

Steelersfan87
09-06-2011, 01:45 AM
the percentage of targets for every defender that resulted in catches.

what is your definition of big plays? TDs? game winning TDs. passes over a certain amount of yards?

Yes to all, with the certain amount of yards being 20.

Kingmagyar
09-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Tyler Grisham is really Steely McBeam on stilts. That's why he is still on the practice squad.