PDA

View Full Version : Crezdon Butler a Cardinal

Wallabeast17
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Who would have thought.:surprise: haha
Well I hope his time with Pittsburgh West is a good one.

pete74
09-04-2011, 12:53 PM
I really hope he does very well and proves us wrong. I wanted to cut gay and keep butler.

Wallace17
09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
This sucks go figure!

mizzouristeeler
09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
This sucks go figure!

:jawdrop: I never would have guessed it.

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 01:16 PM
No surprise here. He played great in two preseasons. I'm sure Whisenhunt was licking his chops watching our roster cuts.

Steel_Bus_24
09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
figures.....usually I can get over a roster move I don't like, but this one is nagging at me like a motherfather

California-Steel
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Really?! Not one other team had a better corner prospect. So what this says is that he was the best CB the Cardinals saw out there. Wiz is weak and this tells me that picking Tomlin over his was the right choice. How weak is it when you use the team you came from cast aways as your primary source of talent? Pretty sad really.

rocckbottomxmen
09-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I was hoping we would have kept him...but it is what it is

BKAnthem
09-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Sometimes that whole coaching staff only wants veterans who know the system thing is overblown.....sometimes you have to let talent have its day....

austinfrench76
09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
For the first time ever, I think Wisenhunt is a bad coach. Hi complete concentration on all things Tomlin doesn't want shows that to be true. Even with all the other players, at least he knew and coached them while he was here but Butler??!! Now he's taking scrap. BS!

theplatypus
09-04-2011, 01:52 PM
For the first time ever, I think Wisenhunt is a bad coach. Hi complete concentration on all things Tomlin doesn't want shows that to be true. Even with all the other players, at least he knew and coached them while he was here but Butler??!! Now he's taking scrap. BS!

Are you forgetting that our previous DB coach is now their defensive coordinator?

rocckbottomxmen
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM

actually I think butler would have been on a lot of teams list. He will actually have a good career. Maybe not hof. but you never know

Steel_Bus_24
09-04-2011, 02:01 PM
actually I think butler would have been on a lot of teams list. He will actually have a good career. Maybe not hof. but you never know

I thought he could of snucked into Ike Taylors Category with time

Just hope now that one of our other young DBs can step up....but it looks like they're going to have to play fffing spectacular to break the man-crush the coaches have with Gay/McFadden

Fire Arians
09-04-2011, 02:11 PM
As much as I hate this I'm glad he didn't join the ravens

rocckbottomxmen
09-04-2011, 02:29 PM
I thought he could of snucked into Ike Taylors Category with time

Just hope now that one of our other young DBs can step up....but it looks like their going to have to play fffing spectacular to break the man-crush the coaches have with Gay/McFadden

I truly believe if not for the lockout and we a a training camp one or both of gay and mcfadden would have been let go in favor of the young guys. But because of the current situation and no camp they decided to keep the vets.

imho I believe they both will be gone next year in favor of the the young guys we drafted

GMU Steeler
09-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I hated to see Butler go but jeez does Whisenhunt only go after guys that have Steeler connections? I'm sorry but it's just lame. I liked Ken as OC but I'll echo what's been said already in that I am really glad that we chose Tomlin over him.

SunshineMan21
09-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Cardinals had an early waiver claim--I bet there were several other teams who would have grabbed him.

ricardisimo
09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Last time the Cards snagged one of our corners it didn't work out too well for them, as I recall.

DanRooney
09-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Last time the Cards snagged one of our corners it didn't work out too well for them, as I recall.

Didn't work out for us either the 2nd time around lol

BKAnthem
09-04-2011, 05:49 PM

:toofunny:

Steelersfan87
09-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Yes it did, we got Antonio Brown. :flap:

I truly believe if not for the lockout and we a a training camp one or both of gay and mcfadden would have been let go in favor of the young guys. But because of the current situation and no camp they decided to keep the vets.

imho I believe they both will be gone next year in favor of the the young guys we drafted

I agree that if it were not for the lockout the Steelers would have been much more likely to no re-sign Gay, but I believe McFadden would have still been here. I do agree that both will probably be gone next year, however, though this is dependent on players proving themselves. Lewis/Brown as nos. 2 and 3 (either way) is a decent possibility for 2012. But who will be no. 1 when Taylor is done? Hopefully they fall into a high quality CB early in a draft in the next year or two who can be a legitimate number one.

steelfury02
09-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Surprise surprise. Now if he went to the likes of the Ravens I would care but this will have zero effect on us. Not like we would rely heavily on him. Really think that he would have solved our secondary problems? Not enough experience and no chemistry yet so I'm not sweatin it.

Wallabeast17
09-04-2011, 08:00 PM

:rofl:

LVSteelersfan
09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you Arizona because I am sure the Ravens were chomping at the bit to get him with their CB situation. Although I can't figure out why he was let go and Gay is still on the team. I just don't get it why Gay was brought back. He is pathetic in almost all aspects and definitely can't handle being a number 2 CB.

Pentheon
09-04-2011, 09:32 PM
really wish we woulda kept him but Im not surprised by who picked him up...if it isnt the cards pickin up our people then its the redskins

ETL
09-04-2011, 10:04 PM

Nope not at all. He just played CB for a defense that yielded one of the fewest points in the league and went to the Super Bowl and was one offensive drive away from winning it ... but unless I have players like Revis or Asomugha or Champ Bailey, I will never stop complaining either.

Navy86
09-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Are you forgetting that our previous DB coach is now their defensive coordinator?

And that's the rub right there. But also, the Cardinals saw the same thing we all saw with Butler--potential. The difference is, the Steelers chose to ensure having experience on the roster and the Cardinals, with a completely decimated backfield, chose to attempt to develop the potential, as they did not really have the same decision to make that the Steelers did. I'm not defending either organization for the decisions made, but understand them nonetheless.

It will pain me to see Butler develop into a quality corner if he does, but I do wish him all the best.

ETL
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
All this wringing of hands over a former 5th round draft pick just amazes me. Its as if you guys are CHOOSING to live in misery ALL THE TIME!

Instead of looking forward to how well our team will play and develop, you CHOOSE (yes, its a choice!) to feel anguish over the thought of how miserable you MAY feel IF Butler develops into a good player.

I hope for his sake that he does become a good player and can earn some money and look back on his career and be proud. But he is not a Steeler anymore so in so many ways, I don't care.

I do not mean to shut anyone down in being able to express their opinion. You should be free to express anything that you want as am I. But all these feelings of regret over the 7th string CB ... again just amazes me.

tony hipchest
09-04-2011, 10:45 PM
finally, some sound thinking has been brought to this thread. i can undertand some of the hatred for coach ken, like a lover scorned, but saying he sucks???

he took the AZ cardinals (with denny greens talent and people- not the steelers) to the superbowl. he might as well taught hellen keller how to read!

coach ken recruitws from the steelers waiver wire and coaching staff because he is not a dumbass and knows how good these people are.

steelerfans are silly thinking he would go raid the cleveland browns roster.

like it has been said, not only is ray horton their new DC but deshea townsend will now be butlers position coach. in a lock out season, grabbing a player who can automatically be up to speed with the terminoligy is a plus.

it makes all the sense in the world. good luck to him. plus imitation is the greatest form of flattery. we should take it as a compliment. im sure the rooneys do.

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Nope not at all. He just played CB for a defense that yielded one of the fewest points in the league and went to the Super Bowl and was one offensive drive away from winning it ... but unless I have players like Revis or Asomugha or Champ Bailey, I will never stop complaining either.

Well if you want to play it that way...if you're supporting the fact that 'it didn't work out too well for the Cardinals.' Just think when we lost McFadden in 2009, we failed to even make the playoffs with one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen. The Cardinals, on the other hand, got in only losing to the SB champs.

In other words, our fewest points in the league stat had little to do with McFadden. Just like the Cardinals getting into the playoffs that year had little to do with McFadden. Are you really going use the argument "well Gay has won a Super Bowl. Gay>>>Asomugha?"

Rick5895
09-05-2011, 07:10 AM
ETL and TONY H have made some valid points here, The lock out and lack of off season programs had as much to with the make up of this team as anything else and why all the handringing and whining over a 5th round project that was cut. I wish he was still here as Butler showed potential, but he's not. I watched the 1st three pre season games, including the 95 yard TD return from Butler and he made a great play, (the ball however was thrown very poorly) but in that game he also gave the big cushion and gave up some passes and yardage. he go torched in Carolina playing aggressive (I do like the aggressiveness) From what I saw he got beat as many times as he made plays, if his name was Gay or BMac people on this board would be all over him saying he should be cut.
We will be ok, We have good young talent in Allen, and Brown and Lewis and we will see vastly improved secondary play as the season moves on. In fact I believe both Allen/Brown will progress to the point that it makes Willie gay expendable by mid season.
To those of you who wish to labor in the negative , good luck with that.

solardave
09-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I really hope he does very well and proves us wrong. I wanted to cut gay and keep butler.

You're right Pete this was a move I still don't understand. How could we possibly do any worse with Butler in than Gay. Gay can't knock down a pass into double coverage by a rookie QB.

solardave
09-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Calling him scrap is BS. He will have a pretty good career. I agree not HOF but he' will be better than our nickle this year. Hell I think he's already better than Mcfadden for that matter. He'll probably start in Arizona.

solardave
09-05-2011, 07:47 AM
As much as I hate this I'm glad he didn't join the ravens

That's true. I wish him well but I couldn't do that if he were a Rat.

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 04:37 PM
You're right Pete this was a move I still don't understand. How could we possibly do any worse with Butler in than Gay. Gay can't knock down a pass into double coverage by a rookie QB.

This hyperbolic shit is getting old. William Gay had more passes defensed than both starters, possibly combined. Also, it's not difficult to be able to "understand" why a team would carry on the roster somebody that has played for several years already versus somebody that has never played a snap of regular season defense.

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
This hyperbolic shit is getting old. William Gay had more passes defensed than both starters, possibly combined. Also, it's not difficult to be able to "understand" why a team would carry on the roster somebody that has played for several years already versus somebody that has never played a snap of regular season defense.

He was also getting thrown to a lot more than Ike Taylor...

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 05:11 PM
He was also getting thrown to a lot more than Ike Taylor...

Taylor was thrown at 11.8% of the time, Gay 12.52%, so not as much of a discrepancy as one would think. Of course, Gay's completion percentage against was about 10 points higher, but even Taylor had a CPA of about 58%.

ETL
09-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Well if you want to play it that way...if you're supporting the fact that 'it didn't work out too well for the Cardinals.' Just think when we lost McFadden in 2009, we failed to even make the playoffs with one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen. The Cardinals, on the other hand, got in only losing to the SB champs.

In other words, our fewest points in the league stat had little to do with McFadden. Just like the Cardinals getting into the playoffs that year had little to do with McFadden. Are you really going use the argument "well Gay has won a Super Bowl. Gay>>>Asomugha?"

I just want you to realize that our defensive players play in a system and guys like McFadden do that well. He was brought back for a reason and when he was brought back, we went to a SB. When he wasn't here - we weren't as good.

You may see him give up plays but I firmly believe that he is instructed to keep the guys in front of him rather than give up the big play. And a lot of times - with this "contain" system, we are able to get a sack or maybe a turnover and eventually we may prevent them from getting a first down or scoring and they punt.

But guess what? We don't shut everybody out. Even if we play to contain, they get into the redzone and guess what ... they score. That WILL happen and it doesn't always mean that our players that gave up that score are trash to be discarded.

Stop seeing this as black and white. So many McFadden and Gay haters are ready to discard them so easily while not seeing what they do. They play well in our system and contain well. If they do their jobs - the Steelers defense AS A WHOLE give up fewer points than other defenses. But I never said they will give up zero points. If that is your expectation - be ready to be disappointed.

McFadden and Gay play well in our system. Yes, there will come a time when their bodies will not be able to keep up with the demands of this game but I trust Tomlin and LeBeau who have assigned them as the top 2 CBs behind Ike.

I know McFadden and Gay and even Ike Taylor are not the best one on one CBs in the league. Not even close. But there is no evidence that guys like Butler, Brown, Cortez Allen or even Keenan Lewis are better than them.

I mentioned Asomugha because it seems like you will not shut up until we get a player like that. Isn't that true? If not, what will it take you to stop complaining? You want someone to play as well as ... Leigh Bodden on NE?, maybe as well as Josh Wilson on Washington or as well as Tim Jennings on the Bears? One team has Asomugha and I hope the Steelers never spend that much on a CB ever. But if you want to rant on until we get a player like that - then, my friend ... there's a nice room at our local psych hospital for people like you.

Rick5895
09-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I just want you to realize that our defensive players play in a system and guys like McFadden do that well. He was brought back for a reason and when he was brought back, we went to a SB. When he wasn't here - we weren't as good.

You may see him give up plays but I firmly believe that he is instructed to keep the guys in front of him rather than give up the big play. And a lot of times - with this "contain" system, we are able to get a sack or maybe a turnover and eventually we may prevent them from getting a first down or scoring and they punt.

But guess what? We don't shut everybody out. Even if we play to contain, they get into the redzone and guess what ... they score. That WILL happen and it doesn't always mean that our players that gave up that score are trash to be discarded.

Stop seeing this as black and white. So many McFadden and Gay haters are ready to discard them so easily while not seeing what they do. They play well in our system and contain well. If they do their jobs - the Steelers defense AS A WHOLE give up fewer points than other defenses. But I never said they will give up zero points. If that is your expectation - be ready to be disappointed.

McFadden and Gay play well in our system. Yes, there will come a time when their bodies will not be able to keep up with the demands of this game but I trust Tomlin and LeBeau who have assigned them as the top 2 CBs behind Ike.

I know McFadden and Gay and even Ike Taylor are not the best one on one CBs in the league. Not even close. But there is no evidence that guys like Butler, Brown, Cortez Allen or even Keenan Lewis are better than them.

I mentioned Asomugha because it seems like you will not shut up until we get a player like that. Isn't that true? If not, what will it take you to stop complaining? You want someone to play as well as ... Leigh Bodden on NE?, maybe as well as Josh Wilson on Washington or as well as Tim Jennings on the Bears? One team has Asomugha and I hope the Steelers never spend that much on a CB ever. But if you want to rant on until we get a player like that - then, my friend ... there's a nice room at our local psych hospital for people like you.

Well said. I am not a Willie Gay fan, but he does his job. Unfortunately what you say falls on deaf ears because the likes of Rooney, Anthem and Thumper will always find something to be negative about. You know they know more about football than any of us on here and more than the Steelers FO and coaches.

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
There's something else that I think people are forgetting: no one can run on the Steelers. At all. Period. We were the top run D and it wasn't even close. That leaves only the passing game for other teams, and indeed they threw on us a lot.

Well, since we only have one bona fide corner, the other ones are going to suffer. Specifically, their end-of-year stats are going to make them look a lot worse than what they really are. Even Ike's numbers are not what you'd expect of a supposedly "elite" corner. He got thrown at a lot, in part because of his (mostly deserved) stone-hands reputation.

And of course, in Lebeau's system, the corners are also run stoppers and pass rushers on top of being pass defenders. In those two aspects, Gay actually edges out McFadden and beats Ike hands-down.

tanda10506
09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
figures.....usually I can get over a roster move I don't like, but this one is nagging at me like a motherfather

Me too, I know we have a lot of young corners still and we didn't need 11 corners necessarily, but I figured there were some others that could have gone for the extra security at corner. We have a lot of young corners, one of them will turn out to be really good, I thought it might have been him. Hopefully it's Brown.

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Taylor was thrown at 11.8% of the time, Gay 12.52%, so not as much of a discrepancy as one would think. Of course, Gay's completion percentage against was about 10 points higher, but even Taylor had a CPA of about 58%.

yes but taylor is guarding the #1 receiver for the other team, so I'd say 58% isn't all that bad. Gay can't even cover no-name backup tight ends

if gay were responsible for covering ike's man i doubt we would even be making the playoffs

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 09:52 PM
yes but taylor is guarding the #1 receiver for the other team, so I'd say 58% isn't all that bad. Gay can't even cover no-name backup tight ends

if gay were responsible for covering ike's man i doubt we would even be making the playoffs

Will you stop making up asinine bullshit like this already? Take out the Patriots game and Gay's 2010 stats look a hell of a lot better.

ETL
09-05-2011, 09:56 PM
There's something else that I think people are forgetting: no one can run on the Steelers. At all. Period. We were the top run D and it wasn't even close. That leaves only the passing game for other teams, and indeed they threw on us a lot.

Well, since we only have one bona fide corner, the other ones are going to suffer. Specifically, their end-of-year stats are going to make them look a lot worse than what they really are. Even Ike's numbers are not what you'd expect of a supposedly "elite" corner. He got thrown at a lot, in part because of his (mostly deserved) stone-hands reputation.

And of course, in Lebeau's system, the corners are also run stoppers and pass rushers on top of being pass defenders. In those two aspects, Gay actually edges out McFadden and beats Ike hands-down.

I agree with you. Teams will always throw on us. Its a given. Our run D is great and our offense will be scoring. Teams will be behind and they are going to throw.

If stats were what counts - then we would play this game differently. Its not. Its points that count. And if we give up 250 yards passing and 50 yards rushing but only 7 points per game - I would be absolutely happy with that.

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Will you stop making up asinine bullshit like this already? Take out the Patriots game and Gay's 2010 stats look a hell of a lot better.

I'm just stating what happened. or do you want me to bring up the fact that if jordy nelson wasn't doing his bed limas sweed impersonation in the super bowl he would have probably had over 300 yards receiving and 4 td's lol

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Exactly what back up TEs were consistently "destroying" William Gay last year? Rob Gronkowski "started" 11 games in what was an arbitrary connotation in Belichick's 3 TE personnel with Crumpler and Hernandez, and he had 546 yards on the season with 10 TDs. Again, take out that one game, and Gay's season doesn't look so bad. In particular, his TD% allowed is cut in half.

tony hipchest
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Exactly what back up TEs were consistently "destroying" William Gay last year? Rob Gronkowski "started" 11 games in what was an arbitrary connotation in Belichick's 3 TE personnel with Crumpler and Hernandez, and he had 546 yards on the season with 10 TDs. Again, take out that one game, and Gay's season doesn't look so bad. In particular, his TD% allowed is cut in half.

its just like how gay supposedly gets trucked over by every single running back because he got bull dozed in an attempt to make a tacke on adrian peterson, on a play where most cb's woulda looked like a matador.

i think alot of steelerfans just hate on gay because his name is gay and when they talk to their brownfans friends they say "haha, we know our team sucks but you have a player named gay who is gay, which makes you gay".

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm attaching a still from the SB of Gay getting "torched" by Jordy Nelson, as one person put it, or as someone else said, "running as though he were walking his dog" or words to that effect. I mean, seriously... look at the shot. Gay is right on him. The pass was perfectly thrown to where only Nelson could catch it, and in stride, to boot. Darelle Revis could not have stopped that one.

Now, it's true, McFadden would have been ten yards up the field to try tackling Nelson after the fact, but he certainly would not have broken the pass up. Points to Gay for trying.

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 10:44 PM
i think alot of steelerfans just hate on gay because his name is gay and when they talk to their brownfans friends they say "haha, we know our team sucks but you have a player named gay who is gay, which makes you gay".

:toofunny:

ETL
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm attaching a still from the SB of Gay getting "torched" by Jordy Nelson, as one person put it, or as someone else said, "running as though he were walking his dog" or words to that effect. I mean, seriously... look at the shot. Gay is right on him. The pass was perfectly thrown to where only Nelson could catch it, and in stride, to boot. Darelle Revis could not have stopped that one.

Now, it's true, McFadden would have been ten yards up the field to try tackling Nelson after the fact, but he certainly would not have broken the pass up. Points to Gay for trying.

I remember that play and all the flak Gay got for it. It was totally undeserved. But sometimes, some of these Steeler fans can be like Ravens fans - thickheaded and stubborn - only wanting to see what they want to see

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Gay does get bashed a lot. Sometimes it does get to be a bit much we're not making it up when we consistently see him getting picked on. We see it over and over again. He does have his good games but he's a very hit and miss receiver. The Patriot and Packer games were something else. That's about as poor as a CB can play at his position. If those were his only two bad performances, no one would even be mentioning Gay for being as bad as he is.

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 11:48 PM
I think all of our corners get picked on. It's the nature of our D. I'm looking forward to upgrades across the board at CB in the next few years.

Sixburgher
09-06-2011, 12:03 AM

And he would've been tackling him in the end zone after the TD anyway in that case. Here's the play that still was taken from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmW0Tb_xJMk

It was simply a perfectly thrown pass. And you're right, even Revis wouldn't have been able to prevent that one.

Steelersfan87
09-06-2011, 12:16 AM
All corners in general get picked on. Within the division, Ike Taylor and William Gay were actually thrown at in terms of percentage less than anybody with at least 300 snaps. As I already pointed out, the difference in the percentage of times that Ike Taylor was thrown at while he was on the field was not particularly statistically significant to the percentage of times that William Gay was thrown at while he was on the field. Gay also led the division in "stops" (defined as "plays that constitute an offensive failure (that can be a tackle for a loss or a tackle that prevents a 3rd down conversion)").

Bryant McFadden, on the other hand, was thrown at 17% of the time. The QB does have to throw the ball at somebody, however. Just having a high TA% doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. Allowing nearly a 70% completion percentage, on the other hand, does, which McFadden did. There were few CBs that allowed less than 60% though, with Taylor being among them. The others are Joe Haden (53%, TA% 17), Leon Hall (59.5%, TA% 13), and, by far the best, Josh Wilson (47%, TA% 16.5). The latter especially shows that a high TA% doesn't necessarily say much about the quality of the player. He also defended 14% of passes his way, although he did play under 400 snaps and allowed almost 16 YPC, significantly higher than any of the Steelers' d-backs (with McFadden having the lowest YPC against).

Fire Arians
09-06-2011, 12:52 AM
we can do this for days, and I'm not the type to argue on a message board. can we all agree that secondary needs upgrades?

ricardisimo
09-06-2011, 01:01 AM
we can do this for days, and I'm not the type to argue on a message board. can we all agree that secondary needs upgrades?
:drink:

Steelersfan87
09-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Right, you're not one to argue on a message board. You're one to make bullshit claims on a message board and then back away from them so you don't have to defend the indefensible. Other than that, yes, I agree that the secondary can and should be improved in the future.

Fire Arians
09-06-2011, 02:36 AM
Right, you're not one to argue on a message board. You're one to make bullshit claims on a message board and then back away from them so you don't have to defend the indefensible. Other than that, yes, I agree that the secondary can and should be improved in the future.

And you're right in one sense. I come here to speak my piece, I don't argue or bother with that stupid shit, nor call anyone names for not agreeing with me. You won't change my opinion and I likely won't change yours, and I'll just leave it at that.

and for the record, gay sucks

Kingmagyar
09-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Gay has looked really bad this pre-season covering 3rd string receivers. For McFadden and Gay to be replaced at some point this season with Keenan Lewis and Curtis Brown the team would have to start losing, and we don't want that to happen. But we do want them replaced. What a problem we have.