PDA

View Full Version : Steelers headed for salary cap hell in 2012?

effyou515
09-05-2011, 02:46 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/are-the-steelers-headed-for-salary-cap-hell-in-2012/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big changes comming about for the Steelers in the next couple of years. A lot veterans will be gone replaced by the young.

effyou515
09-05-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/are-the-steelers-headed-for-salary-cap-hell-in-2012/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big changes comming about for the Steelers in the next couple of years. A lot veterans will be gone replaced by the young.

forgot to say Pittsburgh West will be getting more players from the real Pittsburgh.

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 03:48 AM
forgot to say Pittsburgh West will be getting more players from the real Pittsburgh.

they need to start scouting their own talent or they'll continue being 'almost a champion'

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 03:53 AM
they need to start scouting their own talent or they'll continue being 'almost a champion'
It's moot. Warner's retired, and he was the only thing that got them as far as they went.

theplatypus
09-05-2011, 04:48 AM
The mods here will certainly have their hands full with the sky is falling crowd next year.

Steeldude
09-05-2011, 06:11 AM
veterans that could be release for salary caps reason are...

hampton
smith
foote
farrior
mcfadden
clark
battle
kiesel

i am not saying they will all be released, but they aren't all going to stay.

tanda10506
09-05-2011, 06:29 AM
The only thing that concerns me out of all that is that Wallace will be a free agent and Sanders and Brown will be in there last year. We got to lock up some of these receivers. I'm not sure how much longer Hines will play, but if we win a super bowl this year he will retire for sure, he might retire anyway. I think the offense is going to be explosive this year with all these great receivers and we can't afford to let them all go in the next year or 2. I think Harrison's situation is all up to his back, if he gets on track and plays like he has been then he will play another year or two after this season, if not it might be his last anyway. I don't think all the vets are going to retire at the end of this year, some, but not all of them, so we will see if the Steelers actually cut some of them. If the cap is increasing in 2013 then we can take care of Brown and Sanders then (provided they have a good/great next two years), and it looks like we will be keeping Troy under the franchise tag, so the only real concern in 2012 is can we keep Wallace? The d line will not all retire at the end of the year and we got Hood and Heyward, at the end of this year we will still have Woodley, Timmons and possibly Harrison at LB, and the DB's will probably be the same unless one of the young corners plays really well and takes McFadden's spot. So overall I don't think this is a bad situation, but in my opinion it's a little to early to be talking about all this, we need to see how some players play this year and how the team does.

pete74
09-05-2011, 06:42 AM
In sanders and brown play well there is a very good chance Wallace will be gone. When his contract is up he's going to want to be paid as a top 3 or top 5 Wr and we wont do it if we don't have to. I don't see Wallace giving a hometown discount.

The only thing that concerns me out of all that is that Wallace will be a free agent and Sanders and Brown will be in there last year. We got to lock up some of these receivers. I'm not sure how much longer Hines will play, but if we win a super bowl this year he will retire for sure, he might retire anyway. I think the offense is going to be explosive this year with all these great receivers and we can't afford to let them all go in the next year or 2. I think Harrison's situation is all up to his back, if he gets on track and plays like he has been then he will play another year or two after this season, if not it might be his last anyway. I don't think all the vets are going to retire at the end of this year, some, but not all of them, so we will see if the Steelers actually cut some of them. If the cap is increasing in 2013 then we can take care of Brown and Sanders then (provided they have a good/great next two years), and it looks like we will be keeping Troy under the franchise tag, so the only real concern in 2012 is can we keep Wallace? The d line will not all retire at the end of the year and we got Hood and Heyward, at the end of this year we will still have Woodley, Timmons and possibly Harrison at LB, and the DB's will probably be the same unless one of the young corners plays really well and takes McFadden's spot. So overall I don't think this is a bad situation, but in my opinion it's a little to early to be talking about all this, we need to see how some players play this year and how the team does.

steelerchad
09-05-2011, 07:29 AM

hampton
smith
foote
farrior
mcfadden
clark
battle
kiesel

The 2 biggest names aren't on this list. Ward and Harrison are both gone imo. The Steelers will politely ask Hines to call it a career after another declining season for the aging vet so they don't have to cut him and Harrison was gone next year anyway. If this back issue hampers him at all this season that just solidifies he's gone for sure. They will lock up Wallace provided another big season doesn't get him thinking he's a top 5 receiver and want paid like that. He's not by the way. He's a top 5 deep threat if not the best, but as an overall receiver he needs to sure up his route running and get open more often.
3 catches for 100 yards and a TD was his typical stat line last year. I'd like to see him average 7 catches a game. If he gets 7 catches, he will break 1 of them.

Kingmagyar
09-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Arizona Cardinals key 2012 additions:

Aaron Smith
James Farrior
Larry Foote
James Harrison
William Gay
Ryan Clark
Chris Kemoeato
& Bryant Mcfadden (no just kidding, they know all about him)

theplatypus
09-05-2011, 07:34 AM
In sanders and brown play well there is a very good chance Wallace will be gone. When his contract is up he's going to want to be paid as a top 3 or top 5 Wr and we wont do it if we don't have to. I don't see Wallace giving a hometown discount.

I agree, Colbert and co will make a fair offer that won't mortgage the future of the franchise. It would be nice too see him stay, but if he doesn't the Steelers will keep rolling along.

solardave
09-05-2011, 07:35 AM

hampton
smith
foote
farrior
mcfadden
clark
battle
kiesel

You forgot Gay. Please say Gay.

solardave
09-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Aaron Smith
James Farrior
Larry Foote
James Harrison
William Gay
Ryan Clark
Chris Kemoeato

They can have Gay NOW and we'll throw in Mcfadden for free.

Navy86
09-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I expect Farrior, and possibly Ward and A. Smith, to retire after this year. I think Hampton will either have to restructure or be cut. Foote is on the downhill and may not make it through another year. Harrison and Hoke I expect to be gone after this year as well.

I hate to say it, but Wallace may end up playing himself out of our ability to sign him. And to be honest, with Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery, we will not be hard pressed to overpay for Wallace. Sanders and Brown have #1 ability, especially by next year.

Polamalu is a must sign, IMO, and a much higher priority than Wallace. Anyway, I think we'll make it through ok to next year without completely losing our talent base. We've kept the core guys we need in Ben, Woodley, Ike, Miller, Timmons and Colon. Take care of Troy and we'll be ok.

rocckbottomxmen
09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
believe you me...They have a plan already for this.......sometime we as fans just need to trust that our FO knows what they are doing

PhantomJB93
09-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Actually, I think some of Wallace's fate hinges on Keenan Lewis. If Lewis performs well this year and secures a future as a Steeler (I have a feeling he's going to become our #2 CB, especially now that Crezdon is gone), Wallace could take a discount to stay here (Wallace and Lewis have been best friends since childhood), but if Lewis is unimpressive he'll probably be let go and then Wallace loses that emotional tie to the team.

Buddha Bus
09-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I see Farrior, Smith, Harrison, Clark, McFadden, Battle and Kiesel gone next season. Outside chance BMac stays around if they decide to attempt a move to safety with him. Otherwise, I see him gone.

I see Foote sticking around to start in place of Farrior leaving.

Hampton stays because his position hasn't been addressed in the draft yet. I think we'll see the Steelers try to do that this coming offseason, but we'll need Hamp at least one more year to get a replacement ready unless they go the FA route.

effyou515
09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
What about Mendenhall ? think the Steelers sign him to another contract in 2013? I know a little far off, this is why I want to see Dwyer to develope to be Mendy's replacement.

imo the Steelers are going with the 220-230lbs. RBs with adequate power up the middle and speed to the outside. there a lot of these RBs comming out of college. Steelers getting away from the fanchise RB takes up to much cap space.

Draft a 220-230 RB then two years later draft another one and run the dog crap out of one and replace with the other and so on and so on. find these RBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

just my opinon.

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Farrior's gone, so's Batch and Gay. Wallace is packing already. Battle and Smith probably, outside chance of Ward walking away. I don't see Harrison leaving unless his back really is finito. Hoke? Dunno. His return seems unlikely given his age.

New deals for Troy and Rashard fo' shizzle.

Steeldude
09-05-2011, 04:10 PM
The 2 biggest names aren't on this list. Ward and Harrison are both gone imo. The Steelers will politely ask Hines to call it a career after another declining season for the aging vet so they don't have to cut him and Harrison was gone next year anyway. If this back issue hampers him at all this season that just solidifies he's gone for sure. They will lock up Wallace provided another big season doesn't get him thinking he's a top 5 receiver and want paid like that. He's not by the way. He's a top 5 deep threat if not the best, but as an overall receiver he needs to sure up his route running and get open more often.
3 catches for 100 yards and a TD was his typical stat line last year. I'd like to see him average 7 catches a game. If he gets 7 catches, he will break 1 of them.

ward depends on if they can re-sign wallace. the steelers might let him play out his contract out of respect. harrison is all about his back. polamalu and harrison are the defense so if harrison's back is good to go then he stays. without harrison the steelers will not have a good pass rush.

hampton is basically just a fat guy being paid a huge salary, but hoke is old too so he might stay.
smith is injury prone and hood has shown he is capable.
foote is average on his best day.
farrior is getting older and more costly.
mcfadden is horrible.
clark's salary doesn't justify his ability.
battle's 1.3+ mil salary is dead money since he doesn't play.
kiesel is overpaid.

just my opinions, but i can't see all of them staying.

i agree with you on wallace. what i fear is wallace is going to think he is a top 5 WR.

Steeldude
09-05-2011, 04:13 PM
see Foote sticking around to start in place of Farrior leaving

if that happens then the steelers are dead. foote can't cover anyone. he is too slow. i think they move timmons to farrior's spot and have foote take timmons' position. unless they feel sylvester is ready to take one of the positions.

Steel_Bus_24
09-05-2011, 04:16 PM
That will really really bum me out if we can't keep wallace

Steeldude
09-05-2011, 04:19 PM
You forgot Gay. Please say Gay.

i doubt gay will be cut. he's still young and his salary isn't out of control. i think he is $600,000 against the cap. they are going to keep either gay or mcfadden. since they both suck it will probably come down to money. mcfadden is $2,667,000 against the cap. also, take into account mcfadden's injury problems. i don't know if the steelers would get rid of two veteran DBs.

gay played pretty well in 2008. in 2009 lebeau admitted he play a very passive defense because of polamalu's absence, but that being said gay didn't play very well. gay is cheap and he isn't a starter so i really don't have a beef with him.

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 04:46 PM
The whole entire roster will be gone and we will become the Houston Oilers next year.

Jesus christ, you people are out of your minds sometimes.

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I see Farrior, Smith, Harrison, Clark, McFadden, Battle and Kiesel gone next season. Outside chance BMac stays around if they decide to attempt a move to safety with him. Otherwise, I see him gone.

I see Foote sticking around to start in place of Farrior leaving.

Hampton stays because his position hasn't been addressed in the draft yet. I think we'll see the Steelers try to do that this coming offseason, but we'll need Hamp at least one more year to get a replacement ready unless they go the FA route.

Smith, McFadden and Battle absolutely.

Farrior I'm 50/50 on. I think Sylvester is ready.

Clark, Keisel and Harrison will be on this team for another 2-3 years.

Steeldude
09-05-2011, 05:23 PM
The whole entire roster will be gone and we will become the Houston Oilers next year.

Jesus christ, you people are out of your minds sometimes.

so you are saying no veterans will be let go in 2012?

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 05:54 PM
No, I'm saying listing every single player 30 years and up (plus Gay) is ridiculous. Ryan Clark? Brett Keisel? Really? Has there ever been even the slightest hint that these guys are nearing the end? And James Harrison said his back feels better now than it did most of last season, and that he'll be closer to 100% after this season. So why would he be done? Why would Hampton be done? Who would even be playing NT and who would be backing up if Hampton and Hoke left after this season? McLendon could be the backup, but I wouldn't want him starting, and it's unlikely that a rookie would start. Maybe if the Steelers win the super bowl there will be an unexpected retirement or two, but even that is far from a guarantee.

SunshineMan21
09-05-2011, 06:52 PM

hampton
smith
foote
farrior
mcfadden
clark
battle
kiesel

I'm not worried. Smith is likely to retire, and Farrior may follow him. Foote will take a significant pay cut if he's back.

Also, we hopefully won't have to resign McFadden, and both Hampton and Harrison are aging.

The position I'm most worried about is safety--we have up-and-coming young guys at pretty much every position where we're starting vets, but behind Polamalu and Clark we've got nothing at safety. I actually think BMac would be a better safety than he is a cornerback--maybe he could make the switch?

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm not worried. Smith is likely to retire, and Farrior may follow him. Foote will take a significant pay cut if he's back.

Also, we hopefully won't have to resign McFadden, and both Hampton and Harrison are aging.

The position I'm most worried about is safety--we have up-and-coming young guys at pretty much every position where we're starting vets, but behind Polamalu and Clark we've got nothing at safety. I actually think BMac would be a better safety than he is a cornerback--maybe he could make the switch?
Links please. Where did you get any of these ideas? Smith is "likely to retire"? Farrior will follow him? Why the hell would Foote take a pay cut? I've not once read any beat writer even remotely suggest any of the things you state here as fact. Is this wishful thinking on your part?

steelfury02
09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
All we have to do is win #7 and that will take care of a lot of things

Steeldude
09-06-2011, 12:07 AM
No, I'm saying listing every single player 30 years and up (plus Gay) is ridiculous. Ryan Clark? Brett Keisel? Really? Has there ever been even the slightest hint that these guys are nearing the end? And James Harrison said his back feels better now than it did most of last season, and that he'll be closer to 100% after this season. So why would he be done? Why would Hampton be done? Who would even be playing NT and who would be backing up if Hampton and Hoke left after this season? McLendon could be the backup, but I wouldn't want him starting, and it's unlikely that a rookie would start. Maybe if the Steelers win the super bowl there will be an unexpected retirement or two, but even that is far from a guarantee.

i believe people are suggesting names that could be cut. at least that's what my list was about. it was a list of veterans who might be cut due to age, salary, performance etc...

clark, kiesel or hampton could be salary cap casualties. after restructuring his contract hampton is making just over 7 million this year. i am not sure of his cap hit in 2012, but i am guessing it will close to 8 mil. there is a youth movement taking place along the DL. i am not implying all 3 starting D-linemen are going to be cut, but none of their jobs are 100% guaranteed.

harrison stated his back is not in game shape yet. he said he doesn't know when it will be. his back has not really been tested yet as he admitted to. i am hoping everything is great because without his pass rush i don't see the steelers doing much in that department. woodley needs harrison getting the attention of double and triple teams.

notable free agents after this season ends are polamalu, smith, legursky, wallace, lewis, mclendon, redman, foster, j. scott, hoke, essex, batch and leftwich. polamalu is probably going to be franchised. smith will be let go unless he plays for vet minimum. wallace strikes me as a person who will want big money. i suppose that depends on how well he produces this season.

BKAnthem
09-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Aaron Smith
James Farrior
Larry Foote
James Harrison
William Gay
Ryan Clark
Chris Kemoeato

:rofl:

LVSteelersfan
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
What makes you all think that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on Wallace? He will be here for at least another year if he plays well enough to deserve it. Count on it. I suspect he is going to be used mostly as bait this year and Ward, Sanders and Brown will catch more passes than Wallace does. I love his speed but Sanders and Brown are both very fast as well. So it is not the be all, end all if Wallace goes elsewhere in two years. I think they can sign Troy easier than Wallace if they don't franchise him.

NCBlackWolf
09-06-2011, 04:56 PM
All we have to do is win #7 and that will take care of a lot of things

That is a very true statement. I imagine a few vets will retire after another SB ring, so lets focus on that. :tt:

Steelersfan87
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
What makes you all think that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on Wallace?

Because he's a restricted free agent.

SunshineMan21
09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Links please. Where did you get any of these ideas? Smith is "likely to retire"? Farrior will follow him? Why the hell would Foote take a pay cut? I've not once read any beat writer even remotely suggest any of the things you state here as fact. Is this wishful thinking on your part?

None of this is fact--it's speculation on my part. No reason to get all upset. But here's my logic:

I don't think Smith will make it through the season healthy. His health problems have been mounting the last several years and with the emergence of Ziggy Hood and Heyward, I'd say the chances of him being resigned are extremely low. He may not retire, but he's not going to be back with the Steelers for anything remotely close to his current salary, which is what matters for our purposes.

I'm less sure about Farrior--he has the conditioning that he may be able to stick around after this year. Who knows what he'll do?

As far as Foote goes, if he returns to the Steelers I very much doubt they'll pay him $3M/yr. to keep Stevenson Sylvester on the bench. At least one of Foote and Farrior will be gone. If Farrior does choose to retire, it's more likely that we'll pay Foote, but otherwise he's probably going to have to leave to get paid.

Put it this way--why would the Steelers, if we're truly in a cap crunch (which we really aren't, given the relatively small number of guys who may actually end up returning), give a raise to a backup LB on the wrong side of 30?

These are just my thoughts, again. But even if we may see significant roster changes for cap reasons, I don't think they'll be hugely detrimental. Cutting the salary of an Aaron Smith, for example, frees up a good bit f cash to extend other people.

ricardisimo
09-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Because he's a restricted free agent.
Not to mention that they will, in fact, be using the tag on Troy.