PDA

View Full Version : Will Tomlin Start the Better Player?

3rdandlong
09-05-2011, 02:39 PM
If Hines shows signs of age this season, will Tomlin give Brown or Sanders the 2nd spot of the latter are playing better than Ward? If Redman can play better than Mendenhall, will Tomlin give Redman the starting job? These are two positions where I can see the backups outshining their starting counterparts. But will Tomlin give them the starting job? Whether it is because of veteran status or high draft status, I have reservations about Tomlin doing the right thing

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Probably not.

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Tomlin doesn't tend to insert himself here. That's all Arians and Ben. My guess is they want Ward out there. But what exactly do you mean "showing signs of age"? What, like he breaks a hip? Depends. Like Hines himself says, he's always been slow, so it's not like he has a step to lose.

Moose
09-05-2011, 02:49 PM
There's no way in hell Ward will not start---unless a serious injury ! Ward is insurance, usually if he touches the ball --he catches the ball. I don't see any WR that can take his place.....as of yet ! He's better than most on his BAD days. Just my opnion.

steelerjim58
09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I really dont understand why so many seem to be down on Mendenhall. In my opinion he has all the skills necessary to lead the league in rushing. It is hard to pick up yardage when you are being hit at or behind the line of scrimmage the majority of the time. Or running into a pile of bodies at the line with no where to go.

effyou515
09-05-2011, 02:59 PM
If Brown and Sanders really shine bright this season I could see Wallace, Brown, and Sanders on the field at the same time giving Ward a breather for some plays.

MACH1
09-05-2011, 03:02 PM
What are you talking about? There's enough room for all in Airians O!

5 wide baby

StainlessStill
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Even though Tomlin is a players coach and he loves taking care of his veterans, he is nowhere NEAR the coach Cowher was. How many years did we have to endure with corners such as Dwayne Washington and Chad Scott for so many seasons? Brent Alexander? Cowher played favorites more than any coach I've ever seen.

I love watching Tomlin's press-conferences. The way he words things is spectacular. Tomlin will take care of his veterans but is NOT afraid to sit any of their ass's if they aren't playing well. I love when he says "I will evaluate accordingly and play the guys that give me the best chance to win on Sunday. If you don't want to be out there, I'll find someone who does."

ETL
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Let's give it some more time and see what plays out before we anoint Brown and Sanders and Redman as our next All-Pros.

I totally do not see Tomlin as a guy that plays his veterans too long. He plays the guys that give us the best chance to win and Ward does that with his sure hands.

Rick5895
09-05-2011, 03:56 PM
People are way to stuck on the word "starter" If Ward is showing age and really slowing down, then I would expect his targets and receptions to drop and the other to go up. Mendy is a top RB in this league, he will get the ball. Redman is a good back and he will get his touches as well. I am sure there be times this season where ward will NOT be out on the filed, when we have brown , Wallace, Sanders out there.
But until one of these kids can block like Hines I wouldn't expect to see him sitting on the bench anytime soon.

tanda10506
09-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Redman taking Mendenhall's spot is unlikely. Mendenhall is actually a really good RB so I don't see it being in question anyway, plus Mendenhall is not an older veteran like Ward, they won't just give up on him over one year. I think Brown and Sanders will get more time, I think they will work Cotchery into the picture quite a bit too, but I don't think Ward will not start. Even if he plays half of the time, he will still be the starter and either #1 or #2 on the depth chart. I think throughout the season Brown and Sanders can contribute as much as Ward, but Ward is clutch and has contributed for years, so I think wether he plays half the time he is used to playing in seasons past, in crunch time he will be in there no matter who has to sit on the bench.

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 05:48 PM
It really doesn't make a difference who starts. I'm sure Arians will employ a wide variety of WR packages this season, including some that involve Ward standing on the sidelines and Wallace, Sanders, and Brown on the field together.

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
hines never beat anyone with speed, his strengths is he's sure handed, an excellent route runner, blocker, and knows how to find weaknesses in the zone. those come with experience. as far as a possession wr goes he's still the go to guy on the team.

i like redman but as an overall back he's NOT better than mendenhall by any stretch.

I'm not worried about who starts on offense tbh, what we need to worry about is if there's someone better than b-mac or gay, and if we'll see curtis brown on the field this year, that kid is gonna be money

SunshineMan21
09-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't think starting is a huge deal. Hines is always going to "start" for ceremonial reasons, but his targets dropped a ton last year (and he never complained).

pete74
09-05-2011, 07:59 PM
i would rather see brown, sanders and wallace out there. i was in the front row when brown burnt atlanta's starters for that long touchdown and if given the chance i think he can do it all year. everyone can say its just preseason but every player plays just as hard regardless if its preseason or regular season. i dont think any cb is saying to himself that he is going to run just a little slower because its the preseason

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I really dont understand why so many seem to be down on Mendenhall. In my opinion he has all the skills necessary to lead the league in rushing. It is hard to pick up yardage when you are being hit at or behind the line of scrimmage the majority of the time. Or running into a pile of bodies at the line with no where to go.
I think Mendenhall is going to have a career year with Colon and Kemo back. They might not be much for pass blocking, but they know how the run game works.

madtowndrunkard
09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Hines is perfect for playing in the slot. He does things those other WR's struggle to do. Ward is still one of the best at getting the tough yards..he's always been clutch and that was no different last year. He's also a superb run blocker, which might not mean much to some, but his blocks have helped us win plenty of games.

Until someone else can show something they haven't so far...Hines is still the best WR on short yardage and over the middle on this team. His instincts are also worth mentioning. The guy can find open spots in zone coverage...and he knows exactly what to do when Ben starts free lancing. Which he does often.

steelfury02
09-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I figure Ward will retire much like Bettis did. His numbers will be down but he'll have a handful of fantastic games throughout his last moments and have some critical catches/blocks and we'll send him off in style with another ring . . .

PhantomJB93
09-05-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm more concerned about Tomlin starting the better player (Keenan Lewis, Warren, or Brown) over Gay or even Mcfadden than I am him starting Ward over the young guys

tony hipchest
09-05-2011, 10:34 PM
it depends on who is actually deciding who is the better player...

mike tomlin or fans on da internetz message boards. :tap:

im all for a youth movement which is fine and dandy, but what happens when one of those utes makes a critical mistake in a big game (such as david johnson whiffing on a block on clay matthews, leading to a mendenhall fumble in the SB)?

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 10:39 PM
curtis brown > gay and the coaches even know it. as soon as he learns the playbook someone is losing their job

ETL
09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm more concerned about Tomlin starting the better player (Keenan Lewis, Warren, or Brown) over Gay or even Mcfadden than I am him starting Ward over the young guys

Warren?

Gay bashing now reached new levels. Even guys that were cut are expected to start in lieu of Gay.

ETL
09-05-2011, 10:45 PM
curtis brown > gay and the coaches even know it. as soon as he learns the playbook someone is losing their job

It is my sincere hope that Ike Taylor and Curtis Brown will be our starting CBs next year. Not because I hate McFadden but because I hope a younger guy like C. Brown can learn quickly to be as good as McFadden and be an anchor for our defense for years to come.

tony hipchest
09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
it also seems many fans think young up and comers such as k. fox or s. stevenson are the "better players" and wanna toss our aged vets such as farrior and foote out the door.

farrior and foote have played in 3 sb's.

fox commited a 15 yard penalty before our final drive in his only suberbowl and is no longer with the team.

so who is the "better player" now?

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 11:04 PM
It is my sincere hope that Ike Taylor and Curtis Brown will be our starting CBs next year.

brown is the real deal, out of all the db's he impressed me the most this preseason, the dude can cover. not saying he's the next revis but he should be a very solid #2 cb in time, maybe even a #1

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 11:10 PM
it also seems many fans think young up and comers such as k. fox or s. stevenson are the "better players" and wanna toss our aged vets such as farrior and foote out the door.

farrior and foote have played in 3 sb's.

fox commited a 15 yard penalty before our final drive in his only suberbowl and is no longer with the team.

so who is the "better player" now?

And Greg Jennigs blows by Taunto Farrior twice for touchdowns in the Super Bowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGg8Wu50k3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=093eoWS8QZQ&feature=related

There's no doubt in my mind Sylvester is already better than Foote. I think he's going to be Farrior's replacement after this season.

Fire Arians
09-05-2011, 11:12 PM

There's no doubt in my mind Sylvester is already better than Foote. I think he's going to be Farrior's replacement after this season.

to be fair i don't think any of our linebackers can cover jennings, that's a mismatch

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 11:14 PM
brown is the real deal, out of all the db's he impressed me the most this preseason, the dude can cover. not saying he's the next revis but he should be a very solid #2 cb in time, maybe even a #1

I love Curtis Brown and think he was on par if not better than Aaron Williams at Texas coming out of the draft. He just didn't have Williams' height. Brown is very fluid in his coverage. Quick feet and good speed.

ricardisimo
09-05-2011, 11:31 PM
to be fair i don't think any of our linebackers can cover jennings, that's a mismatch
True, that.
I love Curtis Brown and think he was on par if not better than Aaron Williams at Texas coming out of the draft. He just didn't have Williams' height. Brown is very fluid in his coverage. Quick feet and good speed.
Aaron Williams: 6' 0"
Curtis Brown : 6' 0"
:noidea:

I think that we all sincerely hope that Curtis Brown is the real deal and solves our corner issues on one side of the field for the foreseeable future. The issue seems to be this obsession with tossing out our actuality in favor of potential. You don't run any business that way, let alone a professional football team.

tony hipchest
09-05-2011, 11:31 PM

lol... weak.

Fire Arians summed it up nicely with some objectivity.

this post is more proof positive that some fans just think we should blitz and double cover on every play and pitch a shutout in every single game.

then again some fans think thaddeus "patton" can cover greg jennings AND jordy nelson on a single play.

...rich :popcorn:

if sylverster has the brains to match the brawn, his time will come just like it did with timmons. its the steelers way (which some fans are vastly unaware of).

Steelersfan87
09-05-2011, 11:36 PM
A lot of people are the "real deal" in the preseason. Wait until he actually does something in a game that matters before you go anointing the boy.

edit: Curtis Brown.

DanRooney
09-05-2011, 11:55 PM
True, that.

Aaron Williams: 6' 0"
Curtis Brown : 6' 0"
:noidea:

I think that we all sincerely hope that Curtis Brown is the real deal and solves our corner issues on one side of the field for the foreseeable future. The issue seems to be this obsession with tossing out our actuality in favor of potential. You don't run any business that way, let alone a professional football team.

Really? Wow. I could have sworn Williams was 6'3. He looks a lot bigger next to Brown.

stb_steeler
09-05-2011, 11:57 PM
There's no way in hell Ward will not start---unless a serious injury ! Ward is insurance, usually if he touches the ball --he catches the ball. I don't see any WR that can take his place.....as of yet ! He's better than most on his BAD days. Just my opnion.

Exactly.....apparently some didnt see Hines snatch that pass last thursday night!.....No ones gonna go across the middle like he does......

SunshineMan21
09-06-2011, 09:29 PM

There are literally zero LBs in the league who could cover Jennings. Most safeties couldn't--a run-stuffing MLB is going to have no prayer.

harrison'samonster
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Tomlin doesn't seem like a coach who's going to keep a poorer players in the way of better ones. That being said, I think Ward and Farrior are still worthy of their starting spots.

SunshineMan21
09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Where are Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Deshea Townsend, Travis Kirschke, Antwaan Randle El . . . etc . . . all now?

If you don't play well enough anymore, you're done--nobody was more of a Steelers lifer than Townsend, and when he was finished they didn't give him a fat contract or a starting spot for sentimentality. Farrior, Ward, Smith, and McFadden playing a lot means only that Tomlin believes they give him the best chance to win games.

If he though the young guy was the better player, the young guy would play. See Pouncey & Hartwig, Brown/Sanders & Randle El, Dixon & Batch (last year).

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Where are Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Deshea Townsend, Travis Kirschke, Antwaan Randle El . . . etc . . . all now?

If you don't play well enough anymore, you're done--nobody was more of a Steelers lifer than Townsend, and when he was finished they didn't give him a fat contract or a starting spot for sentimentality. Farrior, Ward, Smith, and McFadden playing a lot means only that Tomlin believes they give him the best chance to win games.

If he though the young guy was the better player, the young guy would play. See Pouncey & Hartwig, Brown/Sanders & Randle El, Dixon & Batch (last year).

Sanders/Brown were better than Randle El from day 1. They were 8 weeks late in playing both of them. And they still refused to play Brown over El in the SB. And I'm sure at least one of our young corners is already better than Gay. Curtis Brown sure as hell was but we released him in favor of Arnaz Battle (who, like Randle El, is also pretty much useless).

tony hipchest
09-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Sanders/Brown were better than Randle El from day 1. They were 8 weeks late in playing both of them. And they still refused to play Brown over El in the SB. And I'm sure at least one of our young corners is already better than Gay. Curtis Brown sure as hell was but we released him in favor of Arnaz Battle (who, like Randle El, is also pretty much useless).you have no idea what it takes to develop an nfl calibur player.

you still think thaddeus gibson is the man.

'nuff said. :coffee:

el AND brown both contributed in the superbowl.

El has scored in 2 seperate superbowls as a passer AND a runner. brown was a rookie who had as much sb exposure as the injured e. sanders.

i'll rest assured knowing the coaches know more than internetcouchguyfan does.

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 02:12 AM
you have no idea what it takes to develop an nfl calibur player.

you still think thaddeus gibson is the man.

'nuff said. :coffee:

el AND brown both contributed in the superbowl.

El has scored in 2 seperate superbowls as a passer AND a runner. brown was a rookie who had as much sb exposure as the injured e. sanders.

i'll rest assured knowing the coaches know more than internetcouchguyfan does.

You still think Randle El is the man? He was absolutely horrid last year. Both as a WR and as a kick returner. Bringing him back was dumb.

I'm kind of confused right now because we did cut him. Shouldn't you be shitting on him as being the worst player ever? Or is he the best player ever because he was on the Steelers. Your mind must be going through a collapse right now. Where am I? Arians is a genius? Wiliam Gay is the man? Crezdon Butler is shit because he was cut and plays for the Cardinals lolz? Duce Staley? wut?

If you knew anything about analyzing talent you could see that Brown and Sanders did just about everything better when they saw the field...even as rookies. I certainly was right because they sure as hell took Randle El's job quickly after embarrassing himself in the Patriots game. It's easy to see now why they did it. Randle El was never better than either. He's been an average at best receiver even in his prime. I'm just waiting for the "oh but he played in the Super Bowl. He's better than Andre Johnson!"

ricardisimo
09-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Sanders/Brown were better than Randle El from day 1. They were 8 weeks late in playing both of them. And they still refused to play Brown over El in the SB. And I'm sure at least one of our young corners is already better than Gay. Curtis Brown sure as hell was but we released him in favor of Arnaz Battle (who, like Randle El, is also pretty much useless).
We released Curtis Brown? :huh:

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 02:37 AM
We released Curtis Brown? :huh:

my bad Crezdon Butler. Just had Gay's week 6 permanent replacement on my mind. Just counting down until he gets benched.

ricardisimo
09-07-2011, 02:51 AM
my bad Crezdon Butler. Just had Gay's week 6 permanent replacement on my mind. Just counting down until he gets benched.
Uh, you might be waiting a while for that:
Some of the most notable points from the news conference:
• William Gay will remain the nickel cornerback, playing in the slot.
"He shows good awareness," Tomlin said of Gay. "He is combative in the run, he shows blitz capabilities, but, more than anything, the ability to play in the slot usually is exemplified by what a guy is able to take in and understand from an above-the-neck standpoint. To be quite frank, it is probably more like safety with the position than it is like corner, and he has shown an aptitude for it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11250/1172650-66.stm#ixzz1XFNUe2c4

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Tomlin said pretty much everything we already know about Gay. We already know he's good in run support and off the edge blitzing (so is Ike and McFadden). It's not like Mike is going to sit there and bash one of his players for his lack of coverage skills as a head coach. Just 2 weeks ago he was praising Tony Hills.

I think it's a safe bet Brown takes over the nickel job by midseason or Lewis takes over McFadden's #2 spot. One or the other. Probably not both. Either McFadden or Gay will be gone next season.

ricardisimo
09-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Tomlin said pretty much everything we already know about Gay. We already know he's good in run support and off the edge blitzing (so is Ike and McFadden). It's not like Mike is going to sit there and bash one of his players for his lack of coverage skills as a head coach. Just 2 weeks ago he was praising Tony Hills.

I think it's a safe bet Brown takes over the nickel job by midseason or Lewis takes over McFadden's #2 spot. One or the other. Probably not both. Either McFadden or Gay will be gone next season.
So All-World future HoFer Troy Polamalu has to wait a full year to start in Pittsburgh's D, and studs like Timmons and Hood have to wait two or three years, but you're telling us it's a safe bet that Curtis Brown will be the starter by midseason? Even after he helped Mike Kafka solidify his roster spot on the Dream Team in Philly? OK then. Time for me to refi and call my bookie in Vegas. Thanks for the tip! :rolleyes:

Steelersfan87
09-07-2011, 04:03 AM
William Gay is not a starter, so replacing him wouldn't make Brown a starter. If Joe Burnett played nickel in his first and only year, I'm sure Brown can manage it.

ricardisimo
09-07-2011, 04:13 AM
William Gay is not a starter, so replacing him wouldn't make Brown a starter. If Joe Burnett played nickel in his first and only year, I'm sure Brown can manage it.
True enough. But it doesn't get around the question of Brown supplanting Gay. And Burnett stuck around for only one season for a reason.

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 02:50 PM

:thumbsup: Joe Burnett stuck around for one season because he sucked. That was no surprise to me. Brown was a much better player than him in college in every aspect. I have no idea why the Steelers even drafted Burnett. He's way undersized and was pretty much only known for kick returns. How he got the nickel job was beyond me.

Rick5895
09-07-2011, 03:03 PM

You at times make very slound points and arguments, but as last years super bowl has been on the NFL network again, I watched it again, Randle El did a very nice job in the Super Bowl, made 2 great catches that kept scoring drives alive. He is gone now because he couldn't overtake brown and Sanders, so arguing about last season with respect to those three is mute.
If Battle is so useless , as you claim,he wouldn't have been elected ST Captain by his teammates. Battle does his job on Specials and that why he was retained and Butler cut.

Fire Haley
09-07-2011, 03:10 PM
William Gay will remain the nickel cornerback, playing in the slot.

"He shows good awareness," Tomlin said of Gay. "He is combative in the run, he shows blitz capabilities, but, more than anything, the ability to play in the slot usually is exemplified by what a guy is able to take in and understand from an above-the-neck standpoint. To be quite frank, it is probably more like safety with the position than it is like corner, and he has shown an aptitude for it."

Another take...

Gay plays on nickel downs, entering between LCB Bryant McFadden and RCB Ike Taylor in obvious pass situations.

Tomlin praised Gay's "awareness," but he graded out as Pro Football Focus' 81st cornerback in coverage out of 100 last season. Gay was abused twice by Anquan Boldin in the regular season, which is something to keep in mind for Week 1. Boldin should start the year fast.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 03:18 PM
You at times make very slound points and arguments, but as last years super bowl has been on the NFL network again, I watched it again, Randle El did a very nice job in the Super Bowl, made 2 great catches that kept scoring drives alive. He is gone now because he couldn't overtake brown and Sanders, so arguing about last season with respect to those three is mute.
If Battle is so useless , as you claim,he wouldn't have been elected ST Captain by his teammates. Battle does his job on Specials and that why he was retained and Butler cut.

I actually find it odd he was elected STs captain. I really don't notice him as a particular standout like Sylvester and (wait for it) Jason Worilds are on the coverage team. They are all over the field on kickoffs. I guess Battle keeps his lane well but he didn't have too many tackles if I remember right. I think the captain status was given to him because he's veteran more than anything else

Randle El played well in the SB, I'll give him that. But why Brown wasn't allowed on the field for a majority of the game was dumb.

ricardisimo
09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Another take...

Gay plays on nickel downs, entering between LCB Bryant McFadden and RCB Ike Taylor in obvious pass situations.

Tomlin praised Gay's "awareness," but he graded out as Pro Football Focus' 81st cornerback in coverage out of 100 last season. Gay was abused twice by Anquan Boldin in the regular season, which is something to keep in mind for Week 1. Boldin should start the year fast.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football
Yes, he should start the year out fast, but not because of Gay. Ike will be on Evans, which mean B-Mac will be on Boldin. It should be a career game indeed.

tony hipchest
09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
You still think Randle El is the man? He was absolutely horrid last year. Both as a WR and as a kick returner. Bringing him back was dumb.

I'm kind of confused right now because we did cut him. Shouldn't you be shitting on him as being the worst player ever? Or is he the best player ever because he was on the Steelers. Your mind must be going through a collapse right now. Where am I? Arians is a genius? Wiliam Gay is the man? Crezdon Butler is shit because he was cut and plays for the Cardinals lolz? Duce Staley? wut?

:blah:

!"

:willy:

what the hell are you even talking about? youre right about one thing... you are kinda confused which is very understandable. :confused:

just because you still think thad gibson is the freaking man, doesnt mean i think randle el is the man.

i just happen to understand why a proven vet would be ahead of 2 rookies (who hadnt yet proven JACK SHIT) on the depth chart at the beginning of the season.

its simple, standard, elementary football 101, which is why i wouldnt expect someone with your penile level of football accumen to understand.

if you stay quiet, and pay attention, read and learn, you may one day catch on (but i seriously doubt it).

untill then stick with saying 6'0" williams is much taller than 6'0" brown and that curtis brown was cut. its par for the course, in your case. :nerd:

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
:willy:

what the hell are you even talking about? youre right about one thing... you are kinda confused which is very understandable. :confused:

just because you still think thad gibson is the freaking man, doesnt mean i think randle el is the man.

i just happen to understand why a proven vet would be ahead of 2 rookies (who hadnt yet proven JACK SHIT) on the depth chart at the beginning of the season.

its simple, standard, elementary football 101, which is why i wouldnt expect someone with your penile level of football accumen to understand.

if you stay quiet, and pay attention, read and learn, you may one day catch on (but i seriously doubt it).

untill then stick with saying 6'0" williams is much taller than 6'0" brown and that curtis brown was cut. its par for the course, in your case. :nerd:

So by your logic Hartwig should have been starting over Pouncey, the former being a proven veteran and the latter being a rookie who hadn't proven "jack shit."

I never said Thaddeus Gibson was the man. The topic started a long time ago and I said we should have IR'd Smith and kept him on our roster. What you're doing is spinning the whole thing out of proportion. I still think we should have kept him on the team. That's not a far out in left field opinion.

I admitted to making a wrong when I thought Aaron Williams was taller. He looks much bigger when you put the two next to eachother. I still think he is. Honestly, you are out of control on this board. Your responses make you seem like a high school kid wanting attention. Just all over the place. That's just my 2 cents.

tony hipchest
09-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I admitted to making a wrong when I thought Aaron Williams was taller. He looks much bigger when you put the two next to eachother. I still think he is. Honestly, you are out of control on this board. Your responses make you seem like a high school kid wanting attention. Just all over the place. That's just my 2 cents.

so by your logic you are going to act like a second grader just because of your presumption that i want attention?

:applaudit: that is just brilliant! :scholar:

hartwig???? :sofunny: holy "going off topic to prove oneself wrong" batman!

if you knew anything about professional football you would understand why the steelers let hartwig go yet retained el.

the proof is in the pudding. your wacky assertion (nothing more than a hindsight opinion) that the 2 rookie wr's were clearly better from day one is simply wrong....

you are best to simply admit that to yourself and move on.

there is nothing wrong with admitting youre wrong yet again.

its par for the course (yet again).

arguing otherwise makes you look silly (yet again).

football isnt basic addition and subtraction. one day you may learn the calculus behind it all, where different variables interact with each equation differently (although i doubt it).

Fire Haley
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Tony is a master debater

Fire Haley
09-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Yes, he should start the year out fast, but not because of Gay. Ike will be on Evans, which mean B-Mac will be on Boldin. It should be a career game indeed.

Ravens will come out shotgun 4 wide and attack our pass defense just like the pack.

That's what a ballsy coach would do.

ricardisimo
09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Tony is a master debater
Aren't we all?

Oh, wait... you said "master debater". I thought you said... never mind. :whistle:

Rick5895
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
:rofl:Aren't we all?

Oh, wait... you said "master debater". I thought you said... never mind. :whistle:

:rofl:

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Yeah seems he just argues whatever else writes and forms no opinion of his own. It's really easy to do that. I have not seen one post on his thoughts about anything. Just telling everyone else they're wrong because Tomlin did it a certain way.

Examples of Tony's "debates" (or what I call trashing/trolling):
"Gay is a terrible corner cover" -(80% of the people on this board)

Tony - "You IDIOT. If he sucks

he wouldn't be on this team.

Shows how much you know. Losing Gay isn't like a subtraction problem. It

creates a tangent line on a slope so it's calculus. That's a derivative

if you ever learn that hehehe (lol wut?)

smiley) "

"Antonio Brown was always a better receiver than El from day 1" - me

Tony - "YOU MORON.

IF YOU KNEW HOW TO RUN A TEAM LIKE ME AND TOMLIN AND I DO YOU WOULD REALIZE EL

WAS A VETERAN AND PROVEN. he was in the SB so he is the best. No way a rookie can start.

Tony - 1
Rooney - 0 (lol wut?)

"Letting go of Crezdon was dumb" -a few people on this board

Tony -"YOU RETARDS

OBVIOUSLY ALLEN IS MORE PROVEN (SM

ILEY). TOMLIN RELEASED HIM HE SUCKS (SMiLEY). proof is in the pudding (lol wut?)"

__________________________________________________ __________

I really have no idea why he's so excited or angry all the time. You could debate me by saying "I don't think so" then list your reasons why and I would have no problem with that. But instead you go an question someone else's intelligence and cheer that you're right and everyone else is wrong on a football board. That's a pretty stupid way to go about it.

By the way, I have a degree in mechanical engineering. So if you want to bring up "variables" and "calculus" to make you sound smarter or someone else more dumb, go right ahead. I'd love to hear your credentials.

tony hipchest
09-07-2011, 10:57 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaa!

*sniffle*

need a tissue, thad?

3rdandlong
09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Every YouTube video, every forum post turns into an argument.

tony hipchest
09-08-2011, 12:05 AM
By the way, I have a degree in mechanical engineering. So if you want to bring up "variables" and "calculus" to make you sound smarter or someone else more dumb, go right ahead. I'd love to hear your credentials.

well, first of all. i dont repeatedly say "lol wut" on messageboards.... :tap:

plenty of moronic atheletes have degrees so pardon me if im not impressed.

are you now gonna "shock and awe" us with your wunderlic score?

lmao... :toofunny:

i have a degree in Basic NFL Footbal 101....

so pull out your t-square/abicus and calculate that.

ricardisimo
09-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Every YouTube video, every forum post turns into an argument.
Eh. Half the point to these forums is pulling yours out and measuring it. Sadly for all the rest of us, SCMom has the biggest so far. :noidea:

MACH1
09-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Tony is a master debater

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Lj8_t7CTBKY/TTQ2mPst5NI/AAAAAAAABJs/0OKYXzhA8j0/s400/MASTER-BATES-50%2525-300dpi.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny:

dreegking
09-08-2011, 01:34 AM
If Hines shows signs of age this season, will Tomlin give Brown or Sanders the 2nd spot of the latter are playing better than Ward? If Redman can play better than Mendenhall, will Tomlin give Redman the starting job? These are two positions where I can see the backups outshining their starting counterparts. But will Tomlin give them the starting job? Whether it is because of veteran status or high draft status, I have reservations about Tomlin doing the right thing

When those players are far superior as receivers they may get the nod. But Ward is far superior as a blocker on screens and runs and cracking. So... he is better. those things mentioned are over 50 percent of the game. He gets the nod. They are like Sugar Ray and he is Ali. I'll take Ali.

dreegking
09-08-2011, 01:37 AM

This year's games are played this year.

DanRooney
09-08-2011, 01:47 AM
This year's games are played this year.

The grass is green? :noidea:

DanRooney
09-08-2011, 01:51 AM
well, first of all. i dont repeatedly say "lol wut" on messageboards.... :tap:

plenty of moronic atheletes have degrees so pardon me if im not impressed.

are you now gonna "shock and awe" us with your wunderlic score?

lmao... :toofunny:

i have a degree in Basic NFL Footbal 101....

so pull out your t-square/abicus and calculate that.

I was the one saying "lol wut" to all of your responses to me.

And I'm not the one comparing football to calculus :chuckle: And wtf is a t-squre/abicus?

Steelersfan87
09-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Both of you display pretty poor conversational debate etiquette and little respect for people and views you don't agree with, so it would be nice if both of you could be a little more civil and understanding and state your opinions with a little less undue gravitas, although tony in this case is certainly the more belligerent. It'd be nice to actually find a forum that's 90% civil for once.

theplatypus
09-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I can't believe this is still going on. Brown has a lot of physical talent; however, as recently as the 2011 training camp he was still having problems with the playbook. He won't be #1 or #2 until coaches know they can count on him. He has too know all of his routes,reads,blocking assignments etc before they'll give him a starting spot. If we were some perennial sub 500 team then the coaches would probably deal with the growing pains of learning on the job. Unfortunately for Brown we are playoff team and every play counts, barring injury he won't be the starter until he learns the playbook 100%.

SunshineMan21
09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I can't believe this is still going on. Brown has a lot of physical talent; however, as recently as the 2011 training camp he was still having problems with the playbook. He won't be #1 or #2 until coaches know they can count on him. He has too know all of his routes,reads,blocking assignments etc before they'll give him a starting spot. If we were some perennial sub 500 team then the coaches would probably deal with the growing pains of learning on the job. Unfortunately for Brown we are playoff team and every play counts, barring injury he won't be the starter until he learns the playbook 100%.

Are you referring to the WR or the CB?

theplatypus
09-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Are you referring to the WR or the CB?

When was the last time a CB ran routes or had blocking assignments?

SunshineMan21
09-08-2011, 09:10 AM

lol--missed that. :wink02:

ricardisimo
09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
That just gives you some insight into what an übergenius Lebeau is, how sophisticated his schemes are. It's all 24th Century sleight-of-hand, I tell you.

dreegking
09-10-2011, 01:37 PM
According to a particular poster...

Our starting defense this year would include: Gibson, Syvester, Brown, Heyward, Hood.

In addition, No Ward, no Colon, no Gay, and no Worilds, and two more shake-ups on the oline to start the season.

And more too.

Steelers would bench or cut 5 potential probowlers, one of the leagues most underrated MLB of ALL time, a sack every other game specialist who is being groomed to replace just that - a sack specialist.

And...

a wonderful list was posted earlier about all the starting vets who have been displaced until rookies prove their complete worth and value - and very reasonably stated the why's thereof. And that list did not even include Parker, and several others too.

Can you say CRAZY?

If this was hockey, it would be played only by figure skaters and not men of steel I guess.

I have discovered all this in 4 weeks. Man, what entertainment. Thanks.

steeltheone
09-11-2011, 04:37 AM
I for one would be fine with starting Hood, Heyward and sylvester.

kirklandrules
09-11-2011, 06:50 AM
I for one would be fine with starting Hood, Heyward and sylvester.

Another example of why we don't get paid to make those decisions.