PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations with Troy Polamalu ongoing

Atlanta Dan
09-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Did not see this coming

Steelers and Polamalu's agent try to reach last-minute contract extension

The Steelers have been negotiating with the agent for safety Troy Polamalu over the past several days, an 11th-hour attempt to sign the NFL defensive player of the year before the season begins Sunday.

Polamalu is entering the final season of his contract, and their previous discussions this summer with agent Marvin Demoff went nowhere and stalled. After the Steelers signed linebacker Lawrence Timmons to a six-year, $50 million contract two weeks ago, they decided they could do no more extensions until after the season.

Last week, however, team president Art Rooney had a change of heart and decided to give it one last shot.

Polamalu is scheduled to earn $6.4 million in salary this year, the last of a five-year, $33 million contract. He and wide receiver Mike Wallace were the last two key players with one year left on multi-year contracts the Steelers have not signed

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11250/1172650-66.stm

IMO signing #43 to along term deal is a big risk - given his injury history, the cost effective, cold blooded move is to franchise Troy for 2012

Aussie Steeler
09-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Polamalu is a game changer. Now, I know he has been prone to injury in the past few years but it is definitely a risk worth taking. He wins games for us. Take the 2009 season - how weak was our secondary without Polamalu? Troy changes the way quarterbacks and WR's think and does account for more interceptions, YPC and disruptions than his personal statistics indicate. He is someone who must be accounted for in every snap by offenses (refer Joe Flacco and Baltimore OL). Not only does he do a great job in pass defense, but he is even more phenomenal in stopping the running game.

Lock him up long term.

truesteelerfan
09-07-2011, 07:54 AM
My feelings on this is that its a risk vs. reward decision. When Troy is healthy, he is worth every possible penny we can pay him....He's likely the best safety of this generation, and we may not have another one as good as he can be in our lifetimes- i think he's that amazing. So, with that being said and his history of injuries- do we know..is he indeed all about the money? Last fall someone on here mentioned something about not being surprised if he's the kind of person who just retires young- ala Robert Smith or Barry Sanders- because he has pleanty of money and knows his body is going to be sore lots once he's old- but as I'm not understanding of how the contracts work- any way we can give him a great deal amount of money- but not break the bank up front, but give out in incentives instead based on how often he plays? I feel we need to sign him- even a 75% Troy is better than 90% of the starting people in his position in this league- we may not see one like him again, so we need to keep him while we have him.

ETL
09-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Risk vs reward - that is correct.

Smart move is to franchise him next yr. This gives us one more year of "evidence" to see if he can stay injury free before we pay him.

HOWEVER, Steelers are not like the Jaguars who cut starting QBs the week before the season opens, one of the most classless things I have ever seen. By rewarding Polamalu with a new contract - for playing his heart out all the time and for being a model citizen and rep for the Steelers off the field - there maybe some intangible value attained ... a message sent to other players about how the Steelers operate, how you will be rewarded for hard work and how the Steelers value not just what you do on the field but how you are off the field as well no matter how "old" you are. Giving Troy a new contract in my view, is not just about him ... its about motivating and reassuring others on the team as well.

(But before I get all mushy, I am realistic as well - I see Farrior, Aaron Smith, Keisel and possibly Ward all done after this season... I would retire too after winning the SB, wouldn't you?)

Fire Arians
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
My feelings on this is that its a risk vs. reward decision. When Troy is healthy, he is worth every possible penny we can pay him....He's likely the best safety of this generation, and we may not have another one as good as he can be in our lifetimes- i think he's that amazing. So, with that being said and his history of injuries- do we know..is he indeed all about the money? Last fall someone on here mentioned something about not being surprised if he's the kind of person who just retires young- ala Robert Smith or Barry Sanders- because he has pleanty of money and knows his body is going to be sore lots once he's old- but as I'm not understanding of how the contracts work- any way we can give him a great deal amount of money- but not break the bank up front, but give out in incentives instead based on how often he plays? I feel we need to sign him- even a 75% Troy is better than 90% of the starting people in his position in this league- we may not see one like him again, so we need to keep him while we have him.

even when hobbled i woulddnt rather have any other strong safety in the NFL

Fire Arians
09-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Polamalu is a game changer. Now, I know he has been prone to injury in the past few years but it is definitely a risk worth taking. He wins games for us. Take the 2009 season - how weak was our secondary without Polamalu? Troy changes the way quarterbacks and WR's think and does account for more interceptions, YPC and disruptions than his personal statistics indicate. He is someone who must be accounted for in every snap by offenses (refer Joe Flacco and Baltimore OL). Not only does he do a great job in pass defense, but he is even more phenomenal in stopping the running game.

Lock him up long term.

Agree 100%

Fire Haley
09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
"both sides far apart"

"Steelers have Troy locked up for two years"

probably not gonna happen till next off-season

Vincent
09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
What is it going to take to do this deal? The Bolts set the market at $40M / 5 yrs / $19M guaranteed for Weddle. We just paid Wood around $60M and Timmons around $50M. What must Troy be asking? It has to be in that neighborhood.

He counts $6.4M this year and it'll take up $10M to franchise him next year.

Go $60M over 5 years. $30M signing bonus...

2011 - $6M SB / $1M - $7M cap hit
2012 - $6M SB / $4M - $10M cap hit
2013 - $6M SB / $6M - $12M cap hit - Troy probably hangs it up
2014 - $6M SB / $9M - $15M cap hit - $6M dead money because he retired
2015 - $6M SB / $10M - $16M cap hit - $6M dead money because he retired

We can cover that with all the TV money to come. That's why they're even talking. This deal will become undo-able if it waits til next year.

SteelKid212
09-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Troy is the best player and biggest game changer ive seen on that side of the ball.

he is worth every penny we pay him. and worth the risk.

bottom line, steelers D sucks without him.

i mean just look at my sig pik... LOOK AT IT !!!!!!!!!

PAY THE MAN! :tt02:

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I think Troy will play for another 4 years after this season.

Fire Arians
09-07-2011, 02:43 PM
i mean just look at my sig pik... LOOK AT IT !!!!!!!!!

too distracted by your avatar pic lol

Wallabeast17
09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
too distracted by your avatar pic lol

haha, it is rather distracting!

Steelersfan87
09-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I think Troy will play for another 4 years after this season.

But he's 30...I'm pretty sure that means he's retiring after this season, based on the logic of this board. :sofunny:

DanRooney
09-07-2011, 09:34 PM
But he's 30...I'm pretty sure that means he's retiring after this season, based on the logic of this board. :sofunny:

I've noticed there is very extreme-minded people on this board. It's either the Steelers are the best organization to ever play with the best players and the best coaches who never make mistakes or doom and gloom. Not much in between.

tony hipchest
09-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I've noticed there is very extreme-minded people on this board. It's either the Steelers are the best organization to ever play with the best players and the best coaches who never make mistakes or doom and gloom. Not much in between.theres also a major divide amongst who think they are so much smarter than the coaching staff and front office and those who think the coaching staff and front office are right, more often than not.

:hunch: go figure....

6 sb wins and 1:3.3 [or so] of every afcc game appearance > everybody else.

DanRooney
09-08-2011, 01:18 AM
theres also a major divide amongst who think they are so much smarter than the coaching staff and front office and those who think the coaching staff and front office are right, more often than not.

:hunch: go figure....

6 sb wins and 1:3.3 [or so] of every afcc game appearance > everybody else.

The 6 SBs argument is about the least original thing you could write on here. That's great. I was only alive for 4 SBs. Two of them we lost. I'm not going to go around parading that I watched reruns with my dad of us winning 4 in the 70s. Last I heard, the Packers won the SB last season. That makes them better than us. I could really care less that they won 12 championships, most of them coming before my parents were even alive.

No one here said they were smarter than the Steelers FO. I love a lot of the stuff the they do. They have acquired great players on their team and most of it is do to good scouting and good development from within. I wouldn't trade Roethlisberger, Troy, Timmons or Harrison for any of their respective counterparts in the league.

But where we differ is I don't think the Steelers FO/coaching staff is right 100 percent of the time. You apparently think they make no mistakes. Bringing back Randle El, not addressing a need with the 2nd round pick last year (Jason Worilds), TRADING DOWN and drafting Kraig Urbik, drafting fatass Frank Summers (god I hated them so much), keeping Arnaz Battle over Crezdon Butler, etc were all blunders. Most of these things are small things.

So stop whining that people on this board often criticize the team. You go into a defense mode and start attacking people If we all agreed, this board would be very boring.

SunshineMan21
09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm actually not sure about giving Troy a long-term deal. Obviously, it depends on the money, but he's hurt virtually every season, and his style of play isn't likely to lend itself to a gentle aging process.

I think if he demands anything beyond three years or so, the franchise tag may be the best option--it's a pretty low bar for safeties, anyway.

But we don't want to be on the hook for two seasons of $10M/yr. after Polamalu's body is destroyed. I'm guessing length rather than magnitude could determine this one.

The complicating factor is that if we don't go long-term we absolutely have to franchise, as without Polamalu our defense isn't much better than average. We have zero depth at safety.