PDA

View Full Version : NFL Preview: The goal? Avoid trap season

SteelCityMom
09-09-2011, 06:53 AM
[/URL]2011 NFL Preview: The goal? Avoid trap season Super Bowl: After the Loss
Friday, September 09, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The only team the past 20 years who had that Super Bowl loser thing down right was Buffalo. They lost the Super Bowl in the 1990 season, returned to lose in '91, returned to lose in '92 and returned to lose in '93.

The Bills have not returned to the Super Bowl since, and no losing team since then has returned to try again the next year. Next up: The Steelers.

The Steelers do not have a good record after winning Super Bowls -- they failed to make the playoffs the past three times they won, in the seasons of 1980, 2006 and '09. That falls in line with most Super Bowl losers the past two decades; not only do they generally not make the playoffs, but many also went downhill the following year.

Take Atlanta. The Falcons reached their first Super Bowl in the 1998 season, lost and then went 5-11 in '99. Oakland beat that, reaching the Super Bowl in the 2002 season, then went 4-12 in '03. In fact, starting with the New York Giants (7-9) in '01, five consecutive Super Bowl losing teams had losing records the next season -- the Rams (7-9), Raiders, Panthers (7-9) and Eagles (6-10).

The 2000 Tennessee Titans were the best at rebounding in their regular season after a Super Bowl loss since the Buffalo years. The Titans went 13-3, but then were upset at home by Baltimore after a playoff bye.

Read more: [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11252/1173160-66.stm#ixzz1XS2psihk (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11252/1173159-66.stm#ixzz1XS2Rtsc4)

tanda10506
09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I worry about this sometimes, but the more I think about it I think we will overcome it. This is a unique team. If the Titans can come back and go 13-3, then we can too. I think going to the SB two years in a row is incredably tough, seems almost impossible regardless of what happened the prior season. We will not have a losing record and we will not miss the playoffs. This group of guys wants another ring, they are hungry, and definetly could break the "SB loser stats". I think I would be more concerned this year if they had won, although I wish they had

truesteelerfan
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I hope this last loss last season motivates our guys to work even harder than before....Like in 94 when we lost to the Chargers in the AFC Title Game, the guys lead by Lloyd and Crew made everyone train and work their butts off in the offseason...and it worked to get one game further! This year while we didn't have the offseason to push eachother thanks to the lockout- hopefully their hunger was only made stronger by the Packers

skinart82
09-09-2011, 05:40 PM
These "stats" don't mean a thing, it's up go the team itself. They fail to mention injuries, players leaving and/or retiring and coaching changes that usually go along with a team after the season, especially a superbowl team. I don't care about stupid stuff like this.

sharkweek
09-09-2011, 06:10 PM
correlation does not imply causation :P

SteelCityMom
09-09-2011, 06:16 PM
That's exactly true...and as is pointed out in the story, the Steelers have had more trouble after winning a SB (most recent ones and the '80-'81 season), than after losing one. Of course, this is only the second time out of 8 that they have ever lost, so who knows. Kind of knowing the attitude of the players though suggests that they would be much more fired up after losing a SB then after winning one.

Heck, if the Pens could break all kinds of trends with their Stanley Cup win in '09, then so can the Steelers! :tt03:

Steelboy84
09-11-2011, 12:42 PM
You got that right. We''ll lay down to garbage teams in a minute.