PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Troy P got a new contract

theplatypus
09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Just saw on FB " I'm happy too say that I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler".

55BaileyFan
09-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Seen that too. I want to see the numbers on this one.

OX1947
09-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Was there any doubt? Come on. Please god let him be healthy the whole year....

GMU Steeler
09-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I am not surprised at all because of how Troy is. But this is still great news. The man is a great player and guy to have on your team. Looks like it's a four year deal though.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 01:48 PM
He's not going to retire in four years, so that's a weird comment. Still, glad to see it got done. I'm dreading what the cap numbers are going to look like in two or three years, when we have to start thinking about Pouncey and Hood, etc. again.

theplatypus
09-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Seen that too. I want to see the numbers on this one.

I'm sure it's reasonable.

Pentheon
09-10-2011, 02:01 PM
saw it on fb too and nfl.com....good to hear and now we got wallace to lock up next year

Atlanta Dan
09-10-2011, 02:14 PM
The Steelers have posted a picture of Polamalu signing his contract at the airport, just before leaving for tomorrow’s game in Baltimore.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg859/scaled.php?tn=0&server=859&filename=1mud.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/10/steelers-troy-polamalu-agree-to-four-year-deal/

Troy definitely needs the new contract's signing bonus to pay for the high cost of keeping up that wardrobe he breaks out for road trips:chuckle:

theplatypus
09-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Troy definitely needs the new contract's signing bonus to pay for the high cost of keeping up that wardrobe he breaks out for road trips

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather see him dressed like that than some ghetto pimp like michael ivrin.

theplatypus
09-10-2011, 02:28 PM
He's not going to retire in four years, so that's a weird comment. Still, glad to see it got done. I'm dreading what the cap numbers are going to look like in two or three years, when we have to start thinking about Pouncey and Hood, etc. again.

He will have played 13 years of pro ball by the time the contract runs out. I'm pretty sure this will be his last contract.

Myounger55
09-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Love it! I can't even imagine him in any other colors than B&G. I can't wait to see him flying all over the field tomorrow making plays against Baltimore. Here we go.......

soflasteeler
09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
This is great news. But i have to ask "Where in the heck are they getting the money from"?

Pittsburgh43
09-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Deal is for 4 yrs., $36.5 million.

pete74
09-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Deal is for 4 yrs., $36.5 million.

i guess that means good bye Wallace after 2012. we will be fine by then anyway and i would much rather have troy spend the next 4 years here.

Moose
09-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Great news ! At the airport...LOL, nothing like last minute. At least we know he'll be retiring with us. I bet he'll be a wild man tomorrow.....just stay healthy Troy !!:tt04:

fer522
09-10-2011, 04:21 PM
is Wallace getting the franchise tag now?

Rick5895
09-10-2011, 04:27 PM

I would doubt that as he will be a rstricted free agent. The Steelers can "tender" him an offer and have the right to match and depending on the tender, the compensation would be determined if trhe Steelers choose not to match. My guess is they will tender him 1st round compensation money.

Steel_Bus_24
09-10-2011, 04:28 PM
if we lose wallace Im going to be sick, no offense to Sanders an Brown, but Wallace is a cut above them, plus Im worried Sanders maybe injury prone

theplatypus
09-10-2011, 04:45 PM
holy shit at the way some of you throw around the term injury prone

Atlanta Dan
09-10-2011, 05:48 PM
i guess that means good bye Wallace after 2012. we will be fine by then anyway and i would much rather have troy spend the next 5 years here.

Not necessarily - lots of $$ probably coming off the books next season (A. Smith/Farrior/Ward/maybe Harrison)

SH-Rock
09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Omar Khan is simply a genius. And to all those that are saying good by Wallace, I should get used to it by now but the pessimism on this board if off the charts. You have to remember we have an "aging defense" like all the experts say. A lot of people will retire/get cut. I can see Larry Foote being let go and Aaron Smith. This will open up a lot of cap space for Omar Khan to work his magic.

pete74
09-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Omar Khan is simply a genius. And to all those that are saying good by Wallace, I should get used to it by now but the pessimism on this board if off the charts. You have to remember we have an "aging defense" like all the experts say. A lot of people will retire/get cut. I can see Larry Foote being let go and Aaron Smith. This will open up a lot of cap space for Omar Khan to work his magic.

there is no pessimisim about it, you can not pay every player 7+ million a year. yes we have people on the way out but we have to sign mendenhall, sanders, hood, wallace and brown soon and there is no possible way we can sign them all just figure the math.

SunshineMan21
09-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Not necessarily - lots of $$ probably coming off the books next season (A. Smith/Farrior/Ward/maybe Harrison)

This--if it's actually 4 yr/$36 Mil., it sounds like a pretty strong deal for us.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 06:48 PM
there is no pessimisim about it, you can not pay every player 7+ million a year. yes we have people on the way out but we have to sign mendenhall, sanders, hood, wallace and brown soon and there is no possible way we can sign them all just figure the math.
Exactly. Wallace is gone, maybe Mendy as well now. I liked the Harrison and now the Polamalu signings, but these guys are, in fact, on the wrong end of their careers for this type of money. And Harrison's hurt already.

Fire Arians
09-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Exactly. Wallace is gone, maybe Mendy as well now. I liked the Harrison and now the Polamalu signings, but these guys are, in fact, on the wrong end of their careers for this type of money. And Harrison's hurt already.

troy's got at least 2 good years left in him. he just was the defensive mvp last year after all.

Wallabeast17
09-10-2011, 07:33 PM

NO WAY!! I love Wallace, however he is not worth top 5 reciever money! He deserves to get paid but with all of the signings and future free agents we can't be paying him that much.

Honestly, in my opion, I have no idea what to expect. With Sanders and Brown, and Cotchery will the front office think we really need him? :noidea:
I personally would love to see the "Young Money Crew" stay together but will the front office think it is important or not is the key..

Atlanta Dan
09-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Omar Khan is simply a genius..

So was Bernie Madoff

tony hipchest
09-10-2011, 08:20 PM
with huge tv deals we're gonna see the salary cap skyrocket right in line with our own players salaries.

the thursday night opener just drew nbc 60 million viewers. you think the nfl doesnt wanna renegotiate that deal.

espn just signed on for another 10 years. so much for the lock out driving fans away.

the steelers will be fine.

SunshineMan21
09-10-2011, 09:10 PM

I don't think this forecloses the possibility of Wallace returning at all--this isn't a huge pay increase for Polamalu, and we're likely to shed Aaron Smith's contract next offseason (with the ability to shed guys like Foote for added savings).

We still have flexibility--I can see Mendenhall leaving, but if Wallace goes it won't be because we don't have the capacity to shoot a good-sized contract his way.

Fire Arians
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Was there any doubt? Come on. Please god let him be healthy the whole year....

It seems when he's healthy for the whole season, we win a super bowl, so i hope so too

sharkweek
09-10-2011, 09:51 PM
yeah, I wouldn't panic just yet, only way I see Wallace leaving is if some team is dumb enough to offer more money than he's worth, in which case he shouldn't be on this team anyway if he's going to chase the money (although I wouldn't hold anything against him if some team is dumb enough to offer him Fitzgerald type money)

another reason not to worry is Wallace is easily going to garner the most attention from the defenses we face, and with so many other exceptional weapons for Ben to choose from (War, Sanders, Brown, Miller, etc) chances are the love will be pretty evenly spread which means no one player is likely to have monster stats other than Ben :flap:

So many other "prima donna" Steelers that jumped ship in search of more lucrative work elsewhere have quickly fizzled outside the system, the only recent "successful" case I can recall would be Plaxico Burress as he actually was a pretty significant contributor to the Giants Superbowl XLII win. However when we also consider we then proceeded to win two Superbowls to his one without him along with the fact that he eventually shot himself and ended up 2 years in jail, I'm pretty sure we came out on top of that situation.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 09:52 PM
troy's got at least 2 good years left in him. he just was the defensive mvp last year after all.
I think they're rolling the dice just a little bit, but it's a good bet. To say he's a special talent is the mother of all understatements. This same bet worked out wonderfully for them with Hines, maybe not so wonderfully now with Deebo. We might know before the year is out.

DoctorCAD
09-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I hope the Steeler front office got a "Per-Game' clause in the contract. Troy is good, but gets hurt far too often.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I hope the Steeler front office got a "Per-Game' clause in the contract. Troy is good, but gets hurt far too often.
Troy's more than good, and I can assure you his money is annual pay, irregardless of his games completed. As with everyone else, they can cut him if they don't want to pay him.

Steelersfan87
09-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Here is my personal pledge to the forum. If Mike Wallace is not signed to an extended contract by 2013 (assuming that they give him a RFA tender next year and use the franchise tag the year after), I will personally cut off my penis. That is how confident I am that Wallace, barring injury or some other kind of non-football issue, will be a Steeler for a long time.

ricardisimo
09-11-2011, 03:19 AM
Too. Much. Information.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Well the steelers with these extensions and restructuring continue to reduce the expenditure in 2011. Sure some is shifted out to 2012, but the savings this year gets moved to be able to spend next next year. so its like like Wallace technically counts against next years cap, fully. If steelers carry 5million over, there is part of Wallaces number.

With cutting Smith and Foote next year and possibly some other large names plus some added moneys coming off the books, the steelers will reap another 20million in savings.
Ward isnt a given to be cut if he is healthy he is as good and valuable as anyone.
Harrison isn't going anywhere providing he is healthy, but a restrucuring could be at hand and we could yeild about 5million savings as he won't play out his contract.