PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin "Uneasy" About Ravens Changes

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-beat-0910-20110909,0,5480752.story

:All the Ravens' changes make Steelers coach uneasy
Mike Tomlin doesn't know what to expect Sunday"

"As I sit here today, I am probably a little bit more uneasy than I normally am when we play these guys, because they have so many new guys that we have to account for," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I think that's something that needs to be stated up front about this. They probably know more about us than we know about them."

Well said, Mike. I like to see honesty. The Ravens have indeed made a lot of changes and they are no longer the same team that lost to the Steelers two of three times last year. The Ravens are a younger team and likely a better one. They have a deep threat now and create big matchup problems for the Steelers.

Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in NFL history, taking over a losing team and leading them to the playoffs 3 straight years. I'm sure he has the new players ready for Sunday.

As Tomlin said, the Ravens now know the Steelers better than the Steelers know them and that is another advantage for the Ravens.

theplatypus
09-10-2011, 07:40 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-beat-0910-20110909,0,5480752.story

:All the Ravens' changes make Steelers coach uneasy
Mike Tomlin doesn't know what to expect Sunday"

"As I sit here today, I am probably a little bit more uneasy than I normally am when we play these guys, because they have so many new guys that we have to account for," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I think that's something that needs to be stated up front about this. They probably know more about us than we know about them."

Well said, Mike. I like to see honesty. The Ravens have indeed made a lot of changes and they are no longer the same team that lost to the Steelers two of three times last year. The Ravens are a younger team and likely a better one. They have a deep threat now and create big matchup problems for the Steelers.

Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in NFL history, taking over a losing team and leading them to the playoffs 3 straight years. I'm sure he has the new players ready for Sunday.

As Tomlin said, the Ravens now know the Steelers better than the Steelers know them and that is another advantage for the Ravens.

Do you live in tent? This article has been posted numerous times already and you clearly have never seen a Mike Tomlin press conference.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Do you live in tent? This article has been posted numerous times already and you clearly have never seen a Mike Tomlin press conference.
Now Platy, go easy on him. It's true that Tomlin never spins at press conferences. If he knew the Steelers were going to beat the Ravens he'd just say it like that: "We're going to kick their asses. Next question."

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 08:28 PM

I just looked at all the thread titles and saw none which mentioned this. Unlike you I don't have time to read every thread on the forum in it's entirety. I'm a busy man.

Now as for Tomlin's admitting he is uneasy, this is somewhat unusual for a NFL head coach. I do recall Bilichick saying that he was uneasy about the Colts game the year they lost to he Colts I think it was in the AFC Championship game.

I think when coaches say such things it usually means they think their team will likely lose.

steelerjim58
09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in NFL history

Seriously, really, honestly, you believe this statement. Come on now.

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in NFL history

Seriously, really, honestly, you believe this statement. Come on now.

Look at the record, man. They were 5-11 in 2007 so Billick got fired.
Harbaugh took over and has led them to the playoffs 3 years in a row.
And not only that he has a winning record in the playoffs and has never lost a first round playoff game

How many NFL coaches have done that their first 3 years? Turn a losing team around like that?

I will however amend my original statement to say Harbaugh has started off his coaching career with one of the best starts in NFL history for a NFL head coach. I think he will be a great coach for his career but of course time will tell that story.

steelerchad
09-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Harbaugh has had a good start, just not quite as impressive as Tomlin's. Tomlin has been better and has done it an additional year to Harbaugh. 4 years to 3 years. Both coaches worst season has been 9-7 and best season at 12-4.

When you look at total records they are close, but edge to Tomlin.
Tomlin 48-23 or 67.6%
Harbaugh 36-19 or 65.5%

When you look at just the playoffs.
Tomlin 5-2
Harbaugh 4-3

The difference here of course is 2 AFC championships and 1 SB title vs. none and none.

In addition, 3 or Harbaugh's 4 playoff wins are wildcard wins. Harbaugh is 1-3 in playoff games after the wildcard round. You could make a pretty good arguement that a bye is as good as a wildcard win and Tomlin has 2 additional byes in his playoff career. Since the Steelers earned SB berth's in both years the likelyhood of being able to win those wildcard games is fairly strong. Obvoiusly a wildcard game should be against easier competition than a divisional or championship game in theory. Additionally, the Ravens lopsided playoff record against wildcard teams vs. divisional and championship teams helps support that.

The Ravens have been good the last few years. You'll get no arguement from me on that. The Steelers have just been better, even great one might say.

Oh, and in case you were wondering. Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that nobody gave a chance in his first season. The Ravens were supposed to run away with the divsion that year coming off of one of only 2 division championships in their history to go 5-11. They were a # 2 seed that year and favored to beat the Colts before they choked at home in the playoffs. Yet another choke by the Ravens. So saying they were a losing team is somewhat of a stretch. They were 1 season removed from a #2 seed when Harbaugh took over. They needed some correction, but the core of their team was in tact.

SteelCityMom
09-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I just looked at all the thread titles and saw none which mentioned this. Unlike you I don't have time to read every thread on the forum in it's entirety. I'm a busy man.

Now as for Tomlin's admitting he is uneasy, this is somewhat unusual for a NFL head coach. I do recall Bilichick saying that he was uneasy about the Colts game the year they lost to he Colts I think it was in the AFC Championship game.

I think when coaches say such things it usually means they think their team will likely lose.

He constantly praises the Ravens...and pretty much hypes up every other team that they play. This is nothing new. He plays up the difficulty of the opponent and never shows c0ckiness. So no, this is not something unusual for him...in fact, I'd say it's the standard.

Next.

steelerchad
09-10-2011, 09:15 PM
He constantly praises the Ravens...and pretty much hypes up every other team that they play. This is nothing new. He plays up the difficulty of the opponent and never shows c0ckiness. So no, this is not something unusual for him...in fact, I'd say it's the standard.

Next.

It's called respecting your opponent. Harbaugh could learn something here, instead of whining like a little bitch everytime he gets his ass handed to him.

Tomlin is classy before and after games and Harbaugh is classless in both respects.

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Harbaugh has had a good start, just not quite as impressive as Tomlin's. Tomlin has been better and has done it an additional year to Harbaugh. 4 years to 3 years. Both coaches worst season has been 9-7 and best season at 12-4.

When you look at total records they are close, but edge to Tomlin.
Tomlin 48-23 or 67.6%
Harbaugh 36-19 or 65.5%

When you look at just the playoffs.
Tomlin 5-2
Harbaugh 4-3

The difference here of course is 2 AFC championships and 1 SB title vs. none and none.

In addition, 3 or Harbaugh's 4 playoff wins are wildcard wins. Harbaugh is 1-3 in playoff games after the wildcard round. You could make a pretty good arguement that a bye is as good as a wildcard win and Tomlin has 2 additional byes in his playoff career. Since the Steelers earned SB berth's in both years the likelyhood of being able to win those wildcard games is fairly strong. Obvoiusly a wildcard game should be against easier competition than a divisional or championship game in theory. Additionally, the Ravens lopsided playoff record against wildcard teams vs. divisional and championship teams helps support that.

The Ravens have been good the last few years. You'll get no arguement from me on that. The Steelers have just been better, even great one might say.

Oh, and in case you were wondering. Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that nobody gave a chance in his first season. The Ravens were supposed to run away with the divsion that year coming off of one of only 2 division championships in their history to go 5-11. They were a # 2 seed that year and favored to beat the Colts before they choked at home in the playoffs. Yet another choke by the Ravens. So saying they were a losing team is somewhat of a stretch. They were 1 season removed from a #2 seed when Harbaugh took over. They needed some correction, but the core of their team was in tact.

It was just one losing year, but they were 5-11 and then completely turned that around when Harbaugh took over. I doubt they would have been in the playoffs the last 3 years if Billick were still here. They could have easily been around 5-11 the last 3 years too.

Objectively speaking the Steelers have had some luck in beating the Ravens. As one who has watched NFL football for many years I've come to recognize that close games can go either way, one dropped pass, one bad call by the ref, is the difference between winning and losing in a 3 point game. The Steelers cannot count on continuing to win close games against the Ravens. That is in the past now.

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
It's called respecting your opponent. Harbaugh could learn something here, instead of whining like a little bitch everytime he gets his ass handed to him.

Tomlin is classy before and after games and Harbaugh is classless in both respects.

Harbaugh wouldn't accept the illegal hits by his players and all those fines like what Harrison got last year, that would make the Ravens look bad and Harbaugh has too much class .and sense of right and wrong to put up with that.

SteelCityMom
09-10-2011, 09:31 PM
It was just one losing year, but they were 5-11 and then completely turned that around when Harbaugh took over. I doubt they would have been in the playoffs the last 3 years if Billick were still here. They could have easily been around 5-11 the last 3 years too.

Objectively speaking the Steelers have had some luck in beating the Ravens. As one who has watched NFL football for many years I've come to recognize that close games can go either way, one dropped pass, one bad call by the ref, is the difference between winning and losing in a 3 point game. The Steelers cannot count on continuing to win close games against the Ravens. That is in the past now.

Yeah, but you talk about it like he came in and made a consistent loser like the Lions, or Raiders, and turned them into a powerhouse SB contender.

They were already a good team. You just like to overhype him as a coach.

The rest of your post is the same argument you had last year...you may find your nut this year, but that doesn't make the basis of your argument true.

ETL
09-10-2011, 09:32 PM

He's been living with Harry and Hermione looking for horcruxes.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18500000/THE-Tent-harry-and-hermione-18531911-982-

SteelCityMom
09-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Harbaugh wouldn't accept the illegal hits by his players and all those fines like what Harrison got last year, that would make the Ravens look bad and Harbaugh has too much class .and sense of right and wrong to put up with that.

Riiiiiiiiight. :doh:

steelerchad
09-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Your right. He wouldn't accept the fines. In fact, when the league hit the Ravens for 2 fines against the Steelers, one of which was indeed cheap, he didn't accept it at all. He whined like the little bitch that he is that his player's were treated unfairly. Neither hit was flagged and both should have been. Ngata's was an accident, but a penalty none the less as QB's aren't to be touched in the head let alone breaking one's nose. The other hit was a classic helmet hit against a defensless receiver, yet Harbaugh complained that his player couldn't have done anything different.

He's a whinning, complaining, excuse maker, much like their fans.

Fire Arians
09-10-2011, 10:03 PM
if i was the ravens i'd be feeling uneasy about antonio brown

Wallabeast17
09-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Your right. He wouldn't accept the fines. In fact, when the league hit the Ravens for 2 fines against the Steelers, one of which was indeed cheap, he didn't accept it at all. He whined like the little bitch that he is that his player's were treated unfairly. Neither hit was flagged and both should have been. Ngata's was an accident, but a penalty none the less as QB's aren't to be touched in the head let alone breaking one's nose. The other hit was a classic helmet hit against a defensless receiver, yet Harbaugh complained that his player couldn't have done anything different.

EXACTLY!! All game long he is running up the sidelines screaming and cursing the refs. I still remember watching a ravens game and they gave the Ravens bench a unsportsman like conduct or something like that!

(Yea Bobby Jr. he is a class act!!!!!!)

Sixburgher
09-10-2011, 10:25 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/10/suggs-says-hell-take-a-fine-to-get-a-good-shot-on-a-quarterback/related/

STFU already. Ass.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 10:30 PM
... I'm a busy man.
Yes, you are. We've all noticed this already.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah, but you talk about it like he came in and made a consistent loser like the Lions, or Raiders, and turned them into a powerhouse SB contender.

They were already a good team. You just like to overhype him as a coach.

The rest of your post is the same argument you had last year...you may find your nut this year, but that doesn't make the basis of your argument true.
In fairness to Booby, he's got to have decent-sized nuts actually to attach his name to this garbage he posts year after year.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll67/korgak_ironfist/misc/animated%20gif/nuts.gif

Look at the record, man. They were 5-11 in 2007 so Billick got fired.
Harbaugh took over and has led them to the playoffs 3 years in a row.
And not only that he has a winning record in the playoffs and has never lost a first round playoff game

How many NFL coaches have done that their first 3 years? Turn a losing team around like that?

I will however amend my original statement to say Harbaugh has started off his coaching career with one of the best starts in NFL history for a NFL head coach. I think he will be a great coach for his career but of course time will tell that story.

Umm... You know, Mike Tomlin took over a profoundly disappointing 8-8 team, and is now the winningest active coach (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/) in the NFL at .672, ahead of even Mr. Hoodie with the Cheats, as well as your Mr. Hardluck. He has also coached two Super Bowl teams, the youngest coach ever to do so.

What's your coach's excuse?

tony hipchest
09-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Unlike you I don't have time to read every thread on the forum in it's entirety. I'm a busy man.

:rolleyes: trolling aint easy. :coffee:

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 10:45 PM

As I recall both of the hits were not deserving of fines. Ngata was rushing and seemed to be thrown off balance by a Steeler blocker right before he accidentally hit Ben's nose through the face guard on the helmet. Why did that merit a fine if it was accidental? And the other play I think the Raven defender didn't have time to hold up although my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 10:47 PM
As I recall both of the hits were not deserving of fines. Ngata was rushing and seemed to be thrown off balance by a Steeler blocker right before he accidentally hit Ben's nose through the face guard on the helmet. Why did that merit a fine if it was accidental? And the other play I think the Raven defender didn't have time to hold up although my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.
Can you find me the "accidental" exemption on blows to the QB's head in the NFL rulebook? Could you also bother to come up with some decent arguments before you post here, or research anything even just a tad beforehand?

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Can you find me the "accidental" exemption on blows to the QB's head in the NFL rulebook? Could you also bother to come up with some decent arguments before you post here, or research anything even just a tad beforehand?

Interesting that you bitch about me not "researching" or not naming the players invovled, when I was responding to a post which didn't name the players names involved with the hits , either.

Also if you would bother reading my posts you would see I do often research,such as when I listed the exact dates and scores of the Ravens Steelers 2006 games.
Your argument is an old high school debating trick, attack the opponent if you can't dispute his logic.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Interesting that you bitch about me not "researching" or not naming the players invovled, when I was responding to a post which didn't name the players names involved with the hits , either.

Also if you would bother reading my posts you would see I do often research,such as when I listed the exact dates and scores of the Ravens Steelers 2006 games.
Your argument is an old high school debating trick, attack the opponent if you can't dispute his logic.
Translation: I don't know enough about football or the NFL under Roger Goodell to have even considered the wisdom of making an argument based on "accidental" hits to the head.

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Booby your recollections of anything that sheds a poor light on the Raturds is "FUZZY". You talk about us bringing up recent history of success the Steelers have had at your teams expense yet you dig up scores from five years ago. Hey the Turds won a Superbowl some years ago (ancient history) but their time is over. Maybe when ya'll can draft a franchise QB and some decent LBers ya"ll can make a play again. Til then just sit back and eat the popcorn baby.:popcorn:

Steeler4life1972
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Seriously????? Tomlin would nevere say that and its an attempt by booby to make us steelers fans uneasy...doesnt work booby!!! Go to your teams board cause obviously you spew lies here that insults our intelligence!!

sharkweek
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM

there's no such thing as an accidental face mask anymore, its always an automatic 15 yards when flagged, but I wouldn't expect you of all people to understand what the rules are or how they work

maybe I'll accidentally total your car, I won't reap any consequences because hey, it will be an accident

bobby jr
09-10-2011, 11:06 PM
there's no such thing as an accidental face mask anymore, its always an automatic 15 yards when flagged, but I wouldn't expect you of all people to understand what the rules are or how they work

maybe I'll accidentally total your car, I won't reap any consequences because hey, it will be an accident

The issue wasn't whether he should have been flagged, but whether he should have been given such a heavy fine for breaking Ben's nose by accident. That is what Harbaugh was complaining about and I think he was right to stick up for his player in that regard.

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2011, 11:07 PM

November 5th 2007 Boooby 38-7. Five first half TDS, perfect passer rating. On national TV. AN azz whooping of Biblical :toofunny: proportions

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I know why the 2006 season has such a fond spot in your heart. Its the bedtime story your momma use to tell you every night before you drifted off to sleep. And the following year is just a blur because its a repressed memory from your childhood.

steelerchad
09-10-2011, 11:11 PM
The issue wasn't whether he should have been flagged, but whether he should have been given such a heavy fine for breaking Ben's nose by accident. That is what Harbaugh was complaining about and I think he was right to stick up for his player in that regard.

He got $5k I think, which is the lightest fine they give. He hit a QB in the head, which should always be flagged and fined. I realize it was an accident and Ngata isn't a dirty player, but no flag was thrown and should have and then Harbaugh complains about the little fine.

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Did a little more "research" on that magical 2006 season Booby likes to recall so much. The only time in the series that Baltimore has swept the season from the Steelers. No big deal that the Steelers have swept the series four times in the same span.

Those lopsided scores sound good until you do a little "research" and find that the worst defeat in the series was a 37-0 drubbing that the Steelers inflicted in 1997.

And those 2006 glory years was part of the Raturds longest winning streak of three games against the Steelers that they accomplished just once. So what if the Steelers had two streaks of FIVE straight aginst the purple uglies.

No Booby after a little "research" I can see why you are so proud of that glory year 2006.

ricardisimo
09-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I know why the 2006 season has such a fond spot in your heart. Its the bedtime story your momma use to tell you every night before you drifted off to sleep. And the following year is just a blur because its a repressed memory from your childhood.
I'm unclear as to how he can keep bringing 2006 up in a thread where he's trying to pump up Harbaugh. Wasn't he an Eagle assistant that year? :noidea:

ucsteve667
09-10-2011, 11:59 PM
who won the head to head meetings in the play offs? Who's QB ran backwards out of bounds for a loss trying to get away from Harrison? Who gave up a 14 pt lead in a div play off game last year?

Danny136200
09-11-2011, 12:07 AM

Im taking it that you are a Ravens fan. Okay then, luck has nothing to do with winning football games. Your team was up 21-7 and choked away the lead, had a chance to retake it, and your number 1 receiver dropped a pass, and let a big play happen on 3rd and 19. The Ravens mental lapses during the crucial courses of the game is not luck; dropped passes are not unlucky bounces. Face it, your team has not been mentally prepared to beat the Steelers when it counted.

steelfury02
09-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Can't wait to blow them out in their own house.

Today's reaction to Flacco getting planted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxggyXtCSWw

pancake
09-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Did a little more "research" on that magical 2006 season Booby likes to recall so much. The only time in the series that Baltimore has swept the season from the Steelers. No big deal that the Steelers have swept the series four times in the same span.

Those lopsided scores sound good until you do a little "research" and find that the worst defeat in the series was a 37-0 drubbing that the Steelers inflicted in 1997.

And those 2006 glory years was part of the Raturds longest winning streak of three games against the Steelers that they accomplished just once. So what if the Steelers had two streaks of FIVE straight aginst the purple uglies.

No Booby after a little "research" I can see why you are so proud of that glory year 2006.

First off I was at the game in 97 and it's one of my favorites in three rivers. Second I want to see what Booby has to say about your post. My guess is something about we barley won some of those games...lol He is so funny... :toofunny:

tony hipchest
09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
. Why did that merit a fine if it was accidental?.

you mean like your existance? it IS fine worthy, and people should be allowed to sue for defective rubbers.

tony hipchest
09-11-2011, 12:03 PM
john harbaugh just admitted that the ravens dont know that much about themselves which makes him even more uneasy. :toofunny:

bobbyfail once again!

MattsMe
09-11-2011, 12:12 PM
you mean like your existance? it IS fine worthy, and people should be allowed to sue for defective rubbers.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

"The little abortion that got away."