PDA

View Full Version : Where in the Hell is our defense?

solardave
09-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I haven't seen any D yet. Woodley is dropping into coverage about every play. Harrison is easier to hold @75%. Mcfadden can't cover,tackle or figure out what he is even doing out there. Flacco has all day back there. Other than that we got them right where we want them.

On the other side we have all this speed and we're throwing sideline dumps. I'm now in agreement that we put Redman in when we're in the redzone. At least he doesn't try that dancing BS and runs straight ahead. Let's get the FIRE ARIANS stuff started.

ETL
09-11-2011, 02:40 PM
And i thought we were going to win in a blowout. Thank god i didn't post that...or did i just do it?

madtowndrunkard
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Where's our team? We look slow and completely unprepared....mentally and physically. This is a total failure by the coaching staff and players. We clearly are not ready to play football.

From the play calling to the execution...horrible.

The only thing that scares me...our run defense. I thought with our age on defense ...that could be a big problem this year. Right now it looks really bad. 15 games left...hopefully this is just a fluke.

casteeler
09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Where the hell is anything? the whole team looks like garbage

TXSteel
09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
maybe next year we'll take care of what is necessary in the draft instead of wasting draft picks on already fairly solid positions. We need D backs......

Moose
09-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Where's the D and the offense. A real ass kickin' today. Game was over in the first minute. Sure looks like a lot to work on this week.....ugh!!

solardave
09-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Man is this UGLY!!!!! Worst game I've seen them play in years. WTFG Ike. You're the only one who came to play and now you just iced it for them. Well, not like we gave any indication that we would mount a comeback.

theplatypus
09-11-2011, 03:25 PM
4 turnovers

TRH
09-11-2011, 03:26 PM
we're getting THUMPED. Wait until the qb's better than Flacco get to play us. This ain't nothing....

The O looks like garbage too, though.

solardave
09-11-2011, 03:36 PM
we're getting THUMPED. Wait until the qb's better than Flacco get to play us. This ain't nothing....

The O looks like garbage too, though.

This is nothing but shameful. Wallace can't outrun 97 year old Ray Lewis?? Instead he slows down just to get tackled. What a punk move. The bottom line is: we let these a-holes intimidate us. Man I hope this is just a real bad first game or this is going to be a loooong season!!!

casteeler
09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Sad, pathetic start to a season that the NFL actually ranked Pgh in the top 10. I can't think of an NFL team that we could beat today

NCBlackWolf
09-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Woodley isn't doing anything. Running at half-speed most plays.
Ben is awful. God what a nightmare.

mizzouristeeler
09-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I can't wait for bobby jr. He must be having his eleventh orgasm by now

theplatypus
09-11-2011, 03:54 PM
7 turnovers

and some mental midget blames it on the play calling

casteeler
09-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Not playcalling, just horrid.... Everything

effyou515
09-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Hell just throw in the towl this year and play for a top 5 draft pick next draft. lol

o-line can't block, d-line gets blown off the ball, and have only one corner who can cover.

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 04:24 PM
well the D-line is old; the secondary sucks and lebeau played a passive and bland defense again. the offense was poor too. arians has a handful of plays he picks out of a bag. i thinking he has the bubble screen written on a dozen pieces of paper in that hat.

tmacsteelerfan
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM
The only positive in this game is that it's week 1. We couldn't tackle on first contact, couldn't stop them on 3rd down, they controlled the line of scrimmage, and our best players didn't show up. Troy was nearly invisible, and Woodley showed up for one play. I'm embarrassed and it couldn't of happened to a worst team. Until they can beat us in the playoffs, I'll take an opening day loss.

Another good thing I saw was Ben's huddle on the sideline with the offense after Moore lost that fumble, I'd like to know what Ben was saying, and if this loss will make the team play with some fire the remainder of the season.

CALSTEELER88
09-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, today sucked but I'm flying across the country next week to watch them beatdown the Seachickens and looking forward to it. It they lose to the chickens then I'll start to worry. I'll take a opening day loss over a playoff loss anytime.

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
and Woodley showed up for one play

no surprise there.

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 04:38 PM

solardave
09-11-2011, 05:02 PM
7 turnovers

and some mental midget blames it on the play calling

I don't know about a mental midget but are you saying there was nothing wrong with the play calling? We bring in a ton of speed and we don't test any of them. The preseason is over,they're not a secret weapon any more. I can't blame this on Arians because no one and I mean no one showed up to play!!! Not on offense or defense. Myself I'd be ashamed to cash my check this week. I 'm just saying when you're 3 TD's behind throw the damn ball!!! Oh wait. That's where the three int's came from.

Never mind.

steelfury02
09-11-2011, 05:02 PM
everything compounded today - gotta hand it to the Ravens for cashing in on some god awful play

Their offensive line is only going to get better
Flacco has officially gotten over the hump when facing a Ben led Steelers - confidence is going to go way up
Ray Rice is healthy again - and that is scary
Ravens fans deserve every boasting minute

Every member of that offense should be ashamed of themsleves
Every member of that defense should be ashamed of themselves
Every member of that coachin staff should be ashamed of themselves
Even though it is only week 1 - I'm getting a little worried about some complacency - seemed like our guys walked into M&T expecting the game to be handed to them because they are Steelers and they all just got nice big contracts - Steelers looked like they didn't care. The Ravens look hungry.

We get at least 1 more crack at them and have a LOT of work to do if we even want to sniff the division. Can you imagine what we would do against New England with today's team? They essentially didn't get up for a Ravens game and that concerns me.

.24lockdown
09-11-2011, 05:39 PM
This is nothing but shameful. Wallace can't outrun 97 year old Ray Lewis?? Instead he slows down just to get tackled. What a punk move. The bottom line is: we let these a-holes intimidate us. Man I hope this is just a real bad first game or this is going to be a loooong season!!!

Really? Are you seriously mad at Wallace of all people?! He should have been stopped way before and you're mad at him for not taking it to the house?!?!?!:doh:

Kanata-Steeler
09-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Your Subject should have said:
What is so horribly/consistently wrong with Ariens, Ben and our "O" in general.

7 Turnovers, 5 of which were directly related to Ben, and out of those, 3 of them led DIRECTLY to Ratbirds touchdowns ???
and your Subject says "Where in the Hell is our defense?" ?
I agree, our Defense was horrible today too, becuase usually it is the Steelers Defense that saves the day -but not today.
Either way, "turnovers" caused this totally embarrassing loss. this is all on Ariens, Ben, and the Offensive line.
The "D" could not have helped the Steelers anyway after the 2nd haff. -becuase Ben's turnovers gave the Ratbirds 21 points !!!
It maddening to see this, and big re-evaluations are in order by Tomlin.
Ariens, can't even get today's "O" to even hold onto the Ball, let alone air it out ? -whats new though half the time.
Nope, I haven't seen such a pitifully BAD game (as a whole Steelers team) like this, since I don't when ? 1980's...?
-that bad.
:(

solardave
09-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Really? Are you seriously mad at Wallace of all people?! He should have been stopped way before and you're mad at him for not taking it to the house?!?!?!:doh:

Did you watch the same play I did? He looked to his right and saw Lewis coming so instead of hitting another gear (it was apparent he wasn't full speed) he slowed down and let them tackle him. YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I'M MAD AT HIM!!!

Curtain_of_Steel
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Troy, Ike, LT and Woodley rant to the bank. they couldnt make it today.

Each should donate todays game day check to Charity. Man up boys. You didn't earn sh$t today.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Ravens def can't live behind our oline, lol.. They moved in and wouldnt leave. Certainly not Bens fault. Coaches have him staying in the pocket. If he can't leave it, he is toast.

Troy cant beat a TE as per the TD early in the 3rd Q. Did he put the cash in his pocktes and its weighing him down?

solardave
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Your Subject should have said:
What is so horribly/consistently wrong with Ariens, Ben and our "O" in general.

7 Turnovers, 5 of which were directly related to Ben, and out of those, 3 of them led DIRECTLY to Ratbirds touchdowns ???
and your Subject says "Where in the Hell is our defense?" ?
I agree, our Defense was horrible today too, becuase usually it is the Steelers Defense that saves the day -but not today.
Either way, "turnovers" caused this totally embarrassing loss. this is all on Ariens, Ben, and the Offensive line.
The "D" could not have helped the Steelers anyway after the 2nd haff. -becuase Ben's turnovers gave the Ratbirds 21 points !!!
It maddening to see this, and big re-evaluations are in order by Tomlin.
Ariens, can't even get today's "O" to even hold onto the Ball, let alone air it out ? -whats new though half the time.
Nope, I haven't seen such a pitifully BAD game (as a whole Steelers team) like this, since I don't when ? 1980's...?
-that bad.
:(

You might go back and see that when I started this thread it was 2:30 and the game was still going on and you're right. The O lost this game but the defense stunk it up as well. It was a well rounded lack of effort on everyone. The tipped ball to Lewis was not on Ben. That was just a good defensive play by Halupki Nada. So his blunders gave them 14 and you don't think that maybe if we tackled anyone,anyone at all just maybe the D forces a field goal instead of a TD. There first play was a 36 yard run to daylight but the D wasn't to blame there? I guess it was some freak move on Rice's part. They didn't stop him all day and Flacco averaged 6+ seconds every time he dropped back.
The fact is we weren't ready for this game,period! Maybe no one heard Suggs on NFL network talking about how the Ravens were taking this game personally.

Where was Troy? Didn't see him or Woodley. James Harrison at least managed to draw one holding call. (the one Sims said he thought was a bad call. What a douche)
Maybe now that Gay missed the sack on his one blitz Tomlin will bench him because not only is he sorry in coverage, he can't tackle and now he isn't even good for an occasional sack. Mcfadden wasn't sure what game they were even playing. Every defensive player looked like they were running in mud all day.

Oh yeah, Ben stunk it up big time too. You run to set up the pass until you are behind by 3 scores,then you THROW THE DAMN BALL!!! You go hurry up because YOU SHOULD HAVE A SENSE OF URGENCY!!

I think I got it all out of my system now.:thumbsup:

harrison'samonster
09-11-2011, 06:28 PM
the defense didn't do much good today at all, but they were playing catch-up all game. I saw some good plays from Harrison and Farrior, but nothing spectacular, and no big plays from our D at all.

Our linebackers couldn't cover the Ravens rb's or tight ends, which really worries me. They are the biggest part of our defense.

pete74
09-11-2011, 07:00 PM
the good news is if we can keep this up for 15 more games we will have Luck on our side in 2012.
i think our entire team played horrible but its only 1 game. hopefully we get alot better and if not at least we can look forward to drafting early

PackMan
09-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Intimidation. That is what I saw on the field today. Hines getting a taste of his own medicine and getting laid out. The entire Steeler O line getting manhandled. Ben looking LOST and throwing up balls that look like they were meant for Ed Reed. Troy P. looking slow letting a tight end BLOW by him. The look on Mendenhall's face when Ngata blew him up in the backfield was priceless and said it all. It looked like one team was still in Preseason mode, while the other was ready to bust chops.

Bottom line. I can not remember the Steelers looking that bad in a very long time.

Ouch. At least the Colts have a good excuse for their blowout.

Kanata-Steeler
09-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I think our Defense possiby made their own statement tonite.
Basically the "D" said, HEY, lets play like our "O" usually plays and lets see what happens. Maybe it's a statement to Tomlin to get the "O" in order, with or without Ariens'
uhh ok, thats sounds ridiculous, but is it ?
Lets see the next few games, and especially the Ravens' re-match to make our final decision,

isunormalil
09-11-2011, 09:56 PM
You might go back and see that when I started this thread it was 2:30 and the game was still going on and you're right. The O lost this game but the defense stunk it up as well. It was a well rounded lack of effort on everyone. The tipped ball to Lewis was not on Ben. That was just a good defensive play by Halupki Nada. So his blunders gave them 14 and you don't think that maybe if we tackled anyone,anyone at all just maybe the D forces a field goal instead of a TD. There first play was a 36 yard run to daylight but the D wasn't to blame there? I guess it was some freak move on Rice's part. They didn't stop him all day and Flacco averaged 6+ seconds every time he dropped back.
The fact is we weren't ready for this game,period! Maybe no one heard Suggs on NFL network talking about how the Ravens were taking this game personally.

Where was Troy? Didn't see him or Woodley. James Harrison at least managed to draw one holding call. (the one Sims said he thought was a bad call. What a douche)
Maybe now that Gay missed the sack on his one blitz Tomlin will bench him because not only is he sorry in coverage, he can't tackle and now he isn't even good for an occasional sack. Mcfadden wasn't sure what game they were even playing. Every defensive player looked like they were running in mud all day.

Oh yeah, Ben stunk it up big time too. You run to set up the pass until you are behind by 3 scores,then you THROW THE DAMN BALL!!! You go hurry up because YOU SHOULD HAVE A SENSE OF URGENCY!!

I think I got it all out of my system now.:thumbsup:

What I saw was a lot of 3 or 4 man blitzes. Lebeau look scared to blitz more than 4 in fear of getting lit up in the pass coverage. If he is going to try and win on defense it isn't by playing his line backers in coverage. You give any QB 6-7 seconds and you will get lit up.