PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end for this corp group...

ZoneBlitzer
09-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I had a feeling going into this year that this team would have a very off year. Today's result was an emphatic exclamation point to my thoughts about this team.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the beginning of the end for this corp group of players and coaches.

It starts with the defense. Like their coach, they are finally too old and it shows. Even Troy looks old. They look old and slow. Flacco had all day to pass and there was never even a sniff of pressure on him. Poor personnel decisions have finally caught up to this team. The best before due date has long passed and they rode it out as they could but now the rest of the league has caught up to them and they will have a generally unimpressive campaign this year.

As for the offense, the stupid decisions over the years for the receiving corps has finally caught up to them as well. A trio of slight wideouts and an aging #86 ain't going to cut it. Wallace is a good burner but doesn't have the physical grace that a receiver needs. He also doesn't have the hands either. Sanders and Brown are both solid third receivers but they are far too diminutive and also lack natural high quality receiving ability. It will take some time to develop these athletes and by then they'll be calling for a bigger pay cheque and then the Steelers will let them walk like they always do. Throwing away Plex and Holmes will haunt this team for some time as they think about what could've been in the Ben era.

As for Ben, his lack of natural ability to make the quick read and his inherent cavalier and near disrespectful attitude about protecting the ball has caught up to him as well. The league has caught up to his patterns of play. He will never be as great as I thought he could've been and he will likely suffer a crippling injury by week 5 which will cause him to miss 4 to 5 games. The reason for this will be because he only knows how to play one way and though his courage is admirable at times it will also lead to his downfall. He will be another Brett Favre who will both amaze you with his brilliance and stupidity. The fact that there has never been an O coordinator or coach to reign his bad habits in will also lead to a fading career. He will be remembered as a good QB who fluked out one SB win and won another against an inferior opponent. He will never win the big one again.

This will be the beginning of the lean years. The window of opportunity has started to close. Let's hope that management can see the writing on the wall and start to trade and get active for once in the free agent market. Or they could just wait three to seven years for draft picks to hopefully pan out.

With the schedule this could be a winning year. But even a plus 500 record will truly be masking all the deficiencies of this club. I can see them battling for a wildcard but in the end the lack of talent in key positions along with stubborn coaching will be their undoing.

Whodis
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Plex is an idiot and I'm glad he's not here (look at any interview he's done since being released from prison)

I am shocked by the lack of effort by the guys that are normally the backbone of our D. A Smith and Keisel. I hope it isnt age and just the fact that the defense was on the field the whole game.

JCPsteelers
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
cool story bro.

I'll bump this when we are 12-4 and in the playoffs.

Wallabeast17
09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
You can't be serious right now.

ColoradoSteelerFan
09-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm with you on the defense...but your criticisms of a receiving group that has gotten univeral praise by NFL talking heads is simply ridiculous. The problem with the offense has been, and still is, the offensive line. I'd take this group of receivers over 95% of the NFL teams out there.

MACH1
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
One game doesn't make a season!

CTFan
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm a Ravens fan and I can't even agree with all that, but it was very well written. :drink:

Sixburgher
09-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Melodrama much?

casteeler
09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
The fact is that last season the Steelers defensive weakness(the secondary) was shown to the world on the big stage, instead of going into the draft and correcting our needs of secondary and o-line we squandered their picks on other positions.Anyone that believes that this is a one game thing needs to pull their head out of their a**!

SunshineMan21
09-11-2011, 05:23 PM
The fact is that last season the Steelers defensive weakness(the secondary) was shown to the world on the big stage, instead of going into the draft and correcting our needs of secondary and o-line we squandered their picks on other positions.Anyone that believes that this is a one game thing needs to pull their head out of their a**!

We spend three of our top four picks on the secondary and o-line. But don't let the facts get in the way of your theory.

JCPsteelers
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
We spend three of our top four picks on the secondary and o-line. But don't let the facts get in the way of your theory.

:sofunny::toofunny::rofl:

truesteelerfan
09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
All today's loss means is that we're not going 16-0...shocking!? Relax, 15-1 is still pretty good! We will return better next week

theplatypus

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

.24lockdown
Amazing what one game can do to fans...

casteeler
09-11-2011, 05:28 PM

I realize this but it was more of a "where the hell are these new players we drafted quote" than why didn't we. Read between the lines

tanda10506
09-11-2011, 05:38 PM

I agree we drafted for it, problem was we needed help now, not in a few years. Let a lot of free agent linemen and corners go walking right by.

I think the defense is aging, but that's mainly seen on the D line. We have Heyward and Hood, need to get them in there, they are the future and maybe the DL this year. Polamalu looked slow but our corners aren't slow, they just suck, we have to replace them. I think we should at the very least start getting Brown and Lewis some playing time, what's the worst that can happen. I don't neccesarily think it's over for the defense. If we get Heyward and Hood in there at DE and can get some pressure then that will help our passing D a lot. I'm not to worried about our LB corps except Farrior, but we have Sylvester. I think if we start getting some of the new guys in there it will help a lot.

The things that I tend to agree with about the original post is Dick LeBeau and Ben. LeBeau has to realize that people know how to beat us passing and exactly who to use (TE's or spread WR's). It seems like he's in denial, I felt the same last year when NE whooped on us. If he doesn't come up with some new plans we will not win in the playoffs, period. With Ben I'm not as worried but I feel it's almost more important. Ben is our guy for a while, he's already done enough to have that spot and there isn't going to be anybody floating around in FA in a few years that will be anywhere as good as he is, but that was a horrible game and so was the SB. Ben seems to be really clutch, but when you read this post and see that he has played poorly in two SB's and that the Cardinals were an inferior team, and then he goes out and plays like this opening day, it raises some questions. He's not old enough for anything to be blamed on that, he has no off field distractions right now, he has to have a big year. He has lost bad before so I'm not counting him out or anything like that, but I think he MIGHT be at a fork in the road, he can either adapt the way he needs to and carry on his big game dominance and make better decisions, or he can go down the route of today's game and get embarassed a few times a year while fighting for a wild card. Hopefully he steps up and hopefully play calling on both sides of the fields change, but we need Ben and the D to step up, even if it's new guys that we start like Heyward, Hood, Brown, and Lewis. We'll see over the next few weeks.

bobby jr
09-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Well one game is too soon to tell. But there comes a time when age catches up to a NFL team and it can happen quickly. I think the Ravens deserve a lot of the credit for what happened today and the Steelers should have an easier time of it next week. But on the other hand the Steelers defense did not look anything like the intimidating bunch they were in the past. Troy even got burned. Then they even resorted to fighting in their frustration.

The Steelers defense looked old in this game, old, slow, and in for a long year.

tanda10506
09-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Amazing what one game can do to fans...

It's not just one game, it's the way we lost, it looked like most of our defensive starters are done, like our QB was lost, and that our O line will be worthless all season.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Ben cant make a quick read when he has no time to open the book. Blitzing 6

Ravens couldve passed all day and beat us, because both CB's suck, are nickel cb's suck, our secondary sucks.

EastLibertyHomer
09-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Too much reading...Good day to be Drunk!

Atlanta Dan
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Well one game is too soon to tell. But there comes a time when age catches up to a NFL team and it can happen quickly. I think the Ravens deserve a lot of the credit for what happened today and the Steelers should have an easier time of it next week. But on the other hand the Steelers defense did not look anything like the intimidating bunch they were in the past. Troy even got burned. Then they even resorted to fighting in their frustration.

The Steelers defense looked old in this game, old, slow, and in for a long year.

I agree (except for the fighting - it takes 2 to tango) - see you in November when I assume the Steslers will be no worse than 5-3

Kanata-Steeler
09-11-2011, 06:10 PM
"...The fact that there has never been an O coordinator or coach to reign his bad habits in will also lead to a fading career. ..."

Sadly, I also tend to agree with that point, especially today :(
Ben is not a Peyton, or the great decision-maker, if anyone ever did think that, then just forget it.
And Ariens' is NOT where Ben should be heading, or using, in the long run.
Without this #1 Steelers "D" there is NO WAY we could have gotten the last 2 SuperBowls.
and today, 7 turnovers, 5 of them by our QB, well comon, there is no Defense that can come back with this Offense.

3rdandlong
09-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Sure we looked really bad today, but I'm nit ready to say anything after only one game. Remember how the Steelers looked the first preseason game and then what they did the week after? I just wish Ben could makemquicker reads. He holds onto the ball too long. That's one aspect of his game that keeps him from being elite. Next week is Seattle. One of the worst teams in the league and thee worst quarterback, probably, in Tavaris Jackson. If we play bad then, I would panic

bobby jr
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I agree (except for the fighting - it takes 2 to tango) - see you in November when I assume the Steslers will be no worse than 5-3

Both the Steelers and Ravens have easy schedules this year so you might be right.
However the Steelers cannot feel confident about beating the Ravens after this game today.

This was not a close game between two evenly matched teams. The Ravens have made changes this off season and have become a stronger team. This was a statement game, a game which may well signify the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one.

DanRooney
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Ben looked very scared out there in the second half...and I don't blame him. Legursky and Scott are vomit.

pete74
09-11-2011, 07:27 PM
i say bring back Adams to play LT or ben wont make it to week 3

LVSteelersfan
09-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Arians sucks. Plain and simple. I kept screaming for him to throw a running back screen to back that defense off a little bit. And once again there were no quick outs and crossing patterns to speak of. He is too stupid to realize that the WR bubble screen gets nothing most of the time. Ben looked like crap which gives everyone the ammunition they need to say he is overrated. And if he plays like this every week, they are absolutely correct. You have to give credit to the Ravens. They were ready to play. The Steelers were not. The start of that second half was just putrid. I wouldn't want to be the Seahawks team next week.

Steelers17
09-11-2011, 07:49 PM
All today's loss means is that we're not going 16-0...shocking!? Relax, 15-1 is still pretty good! We will return better next week

"You can deny reality but you cannot deny the consequences of denying reality," Ayn Rand.

:tt03:

Fire Arians
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
i say bring back Adams to play LT or ben wont make it to week 3

either that or start working gilbert into the lineup. can't get much worse than scott and he has potential for a lot of upside. might as well start giving him play time

.24lockdown
09-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Ben cant make a quick read when he has no time to open the book. Blitzing 6

Ravens couldve passed all day and beat us, because both CB's suck, are nickel cb's suck, our secondary sucks.

These are the kind of statements you need to think about before posting. You look like an idiot to say Ike had a bad game. Bmac okay fine, but Ike played great today.

jimmy jr
09-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Your secondary contained Evans extremely well. Boldin was pretty well covered on the TD grab, it was just a well placed pass. What I'm surprised about is the pass-rush ( or lack thereof ) from Harrison/Woodley. Oher and McKinnie came to play.

Kanata-Steeler
09-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Both the Steelers and Ravens have easy schedules this year so you might be right.
However the Steelers cannot feel confident about beating the Ravens after this game today.

This was not a close game between two evenly matched teams. The Ravens have made changes this off season and have become a stronger team. This was a statement game, a game which may well signify the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one.

No onw wants the Steelers' lulled into a deep sleep like the 80's was for the Steelers.
This 1 Game will not decide it yet, Ravens made their statement, and Steelers' will ultimately decide if they can answer that.
The era will be decided on Nov.6th when we meet the Ravens again.
geez, I basically said what you did bud.
ahh well.

Baltimore Ravens Fan
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Ike Taylor is a great cornerback and had a great game. I think he was the best player of the defense today and he came to play.

jimmy jr
09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Without the Ravens and Steelers, this league becomes extremely sissified/pussified.

While I'm glad the Ravens blew Pittsburgh up today, I'm expecting the next game to be more akin to what we've come to expect from these two teams.

Good night!

GMU Steeler
09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Without the Ravens and Steelers, this league becomes extremely sissified/pussified.

While I'm glad the Ravens blew Pittsburgh up today, I'm expecting the next game to be more akin to what we've come to expect from these two teams.

Good night!

That's actually the reason why while I hate you guys, I do have respect for the players. It was Suggs that called Brady an asshole wasn't it? And I won't lie even though the Ravens are a hated divisional rival, I got a kick out of seeing them kick the Patriots asses in the playoffs a couple years back. Hope the next game is another classic and of course the Steelers win. I think we're going to have a better idea of where both teams are come November when they meet again.

isunormalil
09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
If Ike Taylor is our best player on defense...we're in trouble. I have to agree we looked a step slow, and really weak in the secondary. Every year we pass up a game breaker corner. Darrelle Revis was it one year, and we let the Jets snatch him out of our arms. Granted, Timmons has been solid since the miss...but Revis is in a league of his own.

Pittsburgh43
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
We were due for a game where we get taken behind the tool shed. The Ravens were due for a win against Ben. The Ravens were favorites in this game and they took care of business. I knew this would bring out all the ones that predict gloom at the very first opportunity they get. The Jets got ripped by New England last season, 45-3! Did they say "Oh shit, this is the end of the road. Lets trade Sanchez and fire Rex"? No. They went to Foxboro and beat the Patriots in the playoffs.

Have some faith, damn it. This is one game. One game out of sixteen. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Kanata-Steeler
09-11-2011, 10:16 PM
We were due for a game where we get taken behind the tool shed. The Ravens were due for a win against Ben. The Ravens were favorites in this game and they took care of business. I knew this would bring out all the ones that predict gloom at the very first opportunity they get. The Jets got ripped by New England last season, 45-3! Did they say "Oh shit, this is the end of the road. Lets trade Sanchez and fire Rex"? No. They went to Foxboro and beat the Patriots in the playoffs.

Have some faith, damn it. This is one game. One game out of sixteen. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Right on, we ALL have to ride this Steel Bus 'till Feb./2012. so ya.
:tt04:

MasterOfPuppets
09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Melodrama much?

http://mindsetmasterymadeeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DramaQueenonChaise.jpg

Sixburgher
10-30-2011, 10:36 PM
I had a feeling going into this year that this team would have a very off year. Today's result was an emphatic exclamation point to my thoughts about this team.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the beginning of the end for this corp group of players and coaches.

It starts with the defense. Like their coach, they are finally too old and it shows. Even Troy looks old. They look old and slow. Flacco had all day to pass and there was never even a sniff of pressure on him. Poor personnel decisions have finally caught up to this team. The best before due date has long passed and they rode it out as they could but now the rest of the league has caught up to them and they will have a generally unimpressive campaign this year.

As for the offense, the stupid decisions over the years for the receiving corps has finally caught up to them as well. A trio of slight wideouts and an aging #86 ain't going to cut it. Wallace is a good burner but doesn't have the physical grace that a receiver needs. He also doesn't have the hands either. Sanders and Brown are both solid third receivers but they are far too diminutive and also lack natural high quality receiving ability. It will take some time to develop these athletes and by then they'll be calling for a bigger pay cheque and then the Steelers will let them walk like they always do. Throwing away Plex and Holmes will haunt this team for some time as they think about what could've been in the Ben era.

As for Ben, his lack of natural ability to make the quick read and his inherent cavalier and near disrespectful attitude about protecting the ball has caught up to him as well. The league has caught up to his patterns of play. He will never be as great as I thought he could've been and he will likely suffer a crippling injury by week 5 which will cause him to miss 4 to 5 games. The reason for this will be because he only knows how to play one way and though his courage is admirable at times it will also lead to his downfall. He will be another Brett Favre who will both amaze you with his brilliance and stupidity. The fact that there has never been an O coordinator or coach to reign his bad habits in will also lead to a fading career. He will be remembered as a good QB who fluked out one SB win and won another against an inferior opponent. He will never win the big one again.

This will be the beginning of the lean years. The window of opportunity has started to close. Let's hope that management can see the writing on the wall and start to trade and get active for once in the free agent market. Or they could just wait three to seven years for draft picks to hopefully pan out.

With the schedule this could be a winning year. But even a plus 500 record will truly be masking all the deficiencies of this club. I can see them battling for a wildcard but in the end the lack of talent in key positions along with stubborn coaching will be their undoing.

Do tell. For future reference, you might want to wait longer than one game before writing a post mortem on a season, a core group of players, a coaching staff and an entire organization's way of doing things. It can really make you look stupid about two months later.

TAmes
10-30-2011, 10:51 PM
This post certainly seems to be invalidated by the game today, but there were some interesting points raised by the OP, and let's just agree that the Steelers have made some great adjustments on both sides of the ball as the season has gone on -- this is a testament to the coaching staff and the players' hunger to win.

Sixburgher
10-30-2011, 11:07 PM
This post certainly seems to be invalidated by the game today, but there were some interesting points raised by the OP, and let's just agree that the Steelers have made some great adjustments on both sides of the ball as the season has gone on -- this is a testament to the coaching staff and the players' hunger to win.

I think it's instructive to note that there is no sign of the OP, or many of the other regular members of the "knee jerk overreaction club" to be found. Had today's game resulted in a loss, you can bet your bottom dollar they would have been here whining as usual.

ETL
10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
I think it's instructive to note that there is no sign of the OP, or many of the other regular members of the "knee jerk overreaction club" to be found. Had today's game resulted in a loss, you can bet your bottom dollar they would have been here whining as usual.

LOL! "Knee Jerk Overreaction Club" That's funny.

steelfury02
10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Even if it is the end of the roaaaaad for Smith, Farrior, Hines - we have another group that is battle tested and ready to carry the torch . . .Future is lookin bright:thumbsup: