PDA

View Full Version : Ravens' Fake Extra Point

Bill Cowher's Jaw
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Rubbing it in or just a good job of taking what the defense gives you? Personally I thought it was dumb. They could have saved that play and had it in their back pocket for the next match-up in case they actually needed it.

steelerjim58
09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, there certainly was not any stratigic reason to do it. I hope that the players have good memories. Harbaugh must have some belicheck in him.

harrison'samonster
09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Why give that play away?

JCPsteelers
09-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Throwing it in the endzone on 1st down at the 20 (where Boldin was called for PI) was worse than that 2 point conversion.

Tomlin will use it to motivate the team.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
09-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Throwing it in the endzone on 1st down at the 20 (where Boldin was called for PI) was worse than that 2 point conversion.

Tomlin will use it to motivate the team.

I had no problem with that pass attempt to Boldin. What are the Ravens supposed to just stop playing cause they have a big lead?

Now HERE'S an example of clowning a team when you're up big:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbEjQ_mpqHs

ricardisimo
09-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Today was a scrimmage for the Ravens. We were just a scrub team for them. Why not just screw around and practice stuff, get it right for later, when you have to play real teams?

Bill Cowher's Jaw
09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Today was a scrimmage for the Ravens. We were just a scrub team for them. Why not just screw around and practice stuff, get it right for later, when you have to play real teams?

I know you're just joking....but today was actually the SUPER BOWL for the Ravens. They're probably on cloud 9 right now. By Wednesday they'll realize they're just 1-0 like half the other teams in the league.

GMU Steeler
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I thought it was dumb too. Hopefully they'll need a two point conversion at a crucial point in a more crucial game and they'll be discovered because of this. I think it was Harbaugh's way of rubbing it in honestly though since the guy despises the Steelers so much.

ricardisimo
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I know you're just joking....but today was actually the SUPER BOWL for the Ravens. They're probably on cloud 9 right now. By Wednesday they'll realize they're just 1-0 like half the other teams in the league.
I'm kind of joking. Just kind of.

Good for Harbaugh to rub it in. I think it worked. He and the other Ravens clearly got into the Steelers' heads and they never got him out.

bobby jr
09-11-2011, 07:04 PM
The game wasn't over at that point. It was an exciting gambit, give the Ravens some credit for it. I'm surprised more NFL teams don't try it

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Rubbing it in or just a good job of taking what the defense gives you? Personally I thought it was dumb. They could have saved that play and had it in their back pocket for the next match-up in case they actually needed it.

it's called crushing your opponent and not letting up.

they can use it again later. it's like how the steelers forget there is a TE when in the red zone :chuckle:

Fire Arians
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
The game wasn't over at that point. It was an exciting gambit, give the Ravens some credit for it. I'm surprised more NFL teams don't try it

yes it was over. bad enough being down 21-7, but when you come out and turn the ball over to start the half on the first play, it's obvious that we weren't going to get it together at that point

Terrible Towel Boy
09-11-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't see the benefit from the Ravens' perspective. That score gave them a three TD lead. Why give your division rival a freebie like that. IMO the play should have been saved for a time when they might need it.

EastLibertyHomer
09-11-2011, 08:11 PM

I am with you on that point. They spent the entire draft and camp thinking about the Steelers coming back in that playoff game and sending them on vacation. They did what they should have done to get past their rivals.

Me, I think they blew the wad on one game. One game does not make the season(blah blah blah).

Next week Steelers will be back on track and the Rasins will still be Browns wraped in Bitch Purple.

Round one to the bad guys.

PeterC042
09-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Pretty funny comment on the Steelers performance yesterday. But check out the Random Musings. Dead on, stupid move by Harbaugh (http://thexlog.com/201109120725/xtra-point-football/nfl/monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-week-1/).

theplatypus
09-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm guessing that he was thinking that if they get 2 here it's a four score game which all but puts it out of reach. You can't blame him for being a little gun shy.

dsr
09-12-2011, 08:11 AM
The commentators' suggestion was that that gap had been there on both the previous PATs, so why not use it; and that using the play then might just stop some other team from being aggressive trying to block the PAT.

zsheik22
09-12-2011, 08:31 AM

I was thinking....

"What a terrible move. You're risking 1 point to wake this team up and piss them off by humiliating them????"

Unfortunately.... slapping their mothers in the face and spitting on them wouldnt have woke them up, either. They were absolutely lifeless. They played like they just got fat contracts and didnt have to work at all.

I didnt hear Woodleys name until his sack at which point the fate of the game was sealed. I didnt hear or see Polamalu until I saw him help make a tackle in the secondary later in the game. You could have told me our defensive stars were all hurt and not playing and I would have believed it.

SteelCityMom
09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I understood the point of them doing it...especially after how the playoff game last year turned out, and middle finger and all that...but I think I would have been a little pissed if the situation had been reversed, and the Steelers pulled a move like that with that big of a lead (that early in the season). That's the kind of stuff you do when games are close, and division or playoff titles are on the line.

I get they were sending a message and all, but now every other team they play will be able to prepare for a situation like that in a much closer game, when they play them.

SouthTexasSteel
09-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I understood the point of them doing it...especially after how the playoff game last year turned out, and middle finger and all that...but I think I would have been a little pissed if the situation had been reversed, and the Steelers pulled a move like that with that big of a lead (that early in the season). That's the kind of stuff you do when games are close, and division or playoff titles are on the line.

I get they were sending a message and all, but now every other team they play will be able to prepare for a situation like that in a much closer game, when they play them.

Is it a message if nobody is listening?? :wink02:

New England sent us a message 10 years ago that we received loud and clear sending us into the fetal position every single time we play them.

Harbaugh is no Bill Belichick, he's more like a punk whose girlfriend ran off and got nailed at the HS prom by the star football player, then junk punched the star player a few months later when nobody cares.

Emotion and vengeance can carry you for a few games, but you still have to play 19 - 20 games to win a SB... and Baltimore, Harbaugh in particular, does not have what it takes to bring the trophy home!!

just sayin'

i82much
09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
It's not that complicated. Two points are better than one.

SoCalFan
09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, there certainly was not any stratigic reason to do it. I hope that the players have good memories. Harbaugh must have some belicheck in him.

The Vaseline and tissues at his bedside were a dead givaway!:downspin:

wera176
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
It's not that complicated. Two points are better than one.

Yep.

SteelCityMom
09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Is it a message if nobody is listening?? :wink02:

New England sent us a message 10 years ago that we received loud and clear sending us into the fetal position every single time we play them.

Harbaugh is no Bill Belichick, he's more like a punk whose girlfriend ran off and got nailed at the HS prom by the star football player, then junk punched the star player a few months later when nobody cares.

Emotion and vengeance can carry you for a few games, but you still have to play 19 - 20 games to win a SB... and Baltimore, Harbaugh in particular, does not have what it takes to bring the trophy home!!

just sayin'

:toofunny:

I Lol'd for real.

effyou515
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
that was a big big hole that opened up on that play hell grandma could of run though it.

Baltimore Ravens Fan
09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I had no problem with that pass attempt to Boldin. What are the Ravens supposed to just stop playing cause they have a big lead?

Now HERE'S an example of clowning a team when you're up big:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbEjQ_mpqHs

Bill Cowher's Jaw is right, lots of teams do it. Don't be hypocritical.

zsheik22
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Bill Cowher's Jaw is right, lots of teams do it. Don't be hypocritical.

I'm glad they did it. It was a complete embarrassment to us and showed how complacent and awful the steelers were all game.

Mick0311
09-12-2011, 09:29 PM

Made it a 4 possesion game. You came back last time we played, I can't blame him for that. If you show your hand that many times in one game, you can't blame a coach for exploiting that for points.

tony hipchest
09-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Made it a 4 possesion game. You came back last time we played, I can't blame him for that. If you show your hand that many times in one game, you can't blame a coach for exploiting that for points.

i agree here. my grandmother coulda rolled that football into the endzone with her wheelchair.

when the probability of walking a ball into the enzone becomes greater than making an extra point, any coach would be an idiot to not take the 2 points.

plus it shows harbaugh was scared that we could still actually come back.

he did us a favor though and exposed a glaring flaw in our ST EP defense (which im sure will be immediately corrected). :thumbsup:

Mick0311
09-12-2011, 09:57 PM
i agree here. my grandmother coulda rolled that football into the endzone with her wheelchair.

when the probability of walking a ball into the enzone becomes greater than making an extra point, any coach would be an idiot to not take the 2 points.

plus it shows harbaugh was scared that we could still actually come back.

he did us a favor though and exposed a glaring flaw in our ST EP defense (which im sure will be immediately corrected). :thumbsup:

Well, you would also be a pretty big jerk to hit an old lady in a wheelchair. ;)

tony hipchest
09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, you would also be a pretty big jerk to hit an old lady in a wheelchair. ;)

HA! true but we both know not only would ray lewis do it, but he would flatten both her tires with his knife to ensure she never tried it again. lol.... :flap:

Steeler4life1972
09-12-2011, 10:07 PM
HA! true but we both know not only would ray lewis do it, but he would flatten both her tires with his knife to ensure she never tried it again. lol.... :flap: LMFAO!!!:rofl:

Mick0311
09-13-2011, 12:27 AM
HA! true but we both know not only would ray lewis do it, but he would flatten both her tires with his knife to ensure she never tried it again. lol.... :flap:

Zing!!

GunnerB
09-13-2011, 12:44 AM
legit move by the ratbirds...how many times have has this game been decided by 3 points or less? and they are coming off a second half implosion and Steelers win in the last game. They were just trying to seal the deal.

JustinM
09-13-2011, 12:50 AM
legit move by the ratbirds...how many times have has this game been decided by 3 points or less? and they are coming off a second half implosion and Steelers win in the last game. They were just trying to seal the deal.

TRANSLATION: They were scared.

Mick0311
09-13-2011, 12:53 AM
TRANSLATION: They were scared.

I wouldn't go that far ;)

JustinM
09-13-2011, 12:59 AM
I wouldn't go that far ;)

and now you're scared to admit it.

BritishSteel
09-13-2011, 09:41 AM
The Ravens made us pay for being crap. Don't like it? Don't be crap.

Of course the other side of the coin is that if the Steelers put 45 points on the Ravens in November, then that's just football too, and I doubt they'll have any mercy come the return game. Tomlin will have stored that away, for returning with interest.

Buddha Bus
09-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Suck it up losers, dumb was the Squeelers performance

Now here is a true quantum physicist right here, ladies and gentlemen. I can't even begin to explain how utterly devoid of a brain this numbskull jagoff is. :coffee:

Keep talking sh!t, assclown. I love it because it will make your tears taste that much sweeter when we bounce your sorry asses out of the playoffs yet AGAIN this year. :sofunny:

God, I love a stupid troll to kick around. :banana:

pete74
09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
i dont consider it rubbing it in and would of done the same thing. its an nfl football game and you dont screw the fans by taking a knee with 15min to go. you play until the end. its our fault for not being able to stop them

lasvegasguy
09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Pretty funny comment on the Steelers performance yesterday. But check out the Random Musings. Dead on, stupid move by Harbaugh (http://thexlog.com/201109120725/xtra-point-football/nfl/monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-week-1/).

If the Ravens are ever down by two needing a two point conversion I am sure they aren't going to line up for an extra point and run this play for two.

This was a meaningless play to rub it in. They saw our tendencies on tape and exploited it. I only wish our coaches were smart enough to pick up on these type of things from viewing the tapes

lasvegasguy
09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
The Ravens made us pay for being crap. Don't like it? Don't be crap.

Of course the other side of the coin is that if the Steelers put 45 points on the Ravens in November, then that's just football too, and I doubt they'll have any mercy come the return game. Tomlin will have stored that away, for returning with interest.

Tomlin is a douche. I think you are giving the guy too much credit.

Mick0311
09-13-2011, 05:21 PM
If the Ravens are ever down by two needing a two point conversion I am sure they aren't going to line up for an extra point and run this play for two.

This was a meaningless play to rub it in. They saw our tendencies on tape and exploited it. I only wish our coaches were smart enough to pick up on these type of things from viewing the tapes

If you "need" two, you don't line up for the extra point. Most of the time, it is obvious that you need two, and you line up just like any other non-kicking play. The play was not meaningless. Making it a 4 possesion game that late pretty much put it out of reach. That, plus the fact that it was basically free points sitting there asking to be taken. I wouldn't read too much into it. When you get beat by the Steelers in the playoffs the way you did, you don't leave free points laying on the field.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
09-13-2011, 06:11 PM
If you "need" two, you don't line up for the extra point.

True but there are situations where you don't "need" two but two would be great to have. Say for example you were down 21-10 in the third quarter and scored a touchdown to make it 21-16. Most teams would simply kick the extra point to make it 21-17 cause you aren't supposed to chase points you don't need. But a team that has a fake prepared might fake in that situation to make it 21-18.

Mick0311
09-13-2011, 06:14 PM
True but there are situations where you don't "need" two but two would be great to have. Say for example you were down 21-10 in the third quarter and scored a touchdown to make it 21-16. Most teams would simply kick the extra point to make it 21-17 cause you aren't supposed to chase points you don't need. But a team that has a fake prepared might fake in that situation to make it 21-18.

No doubt.

ricardisimo
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Humiliating your opponent is not to be underestimated. It's called "shock and awe" in other fields.

RavensD
09-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Hate to say it, but I think it's kind of rubbing it in. We only pull that play when we're well ahead and there's not much chance of a comeback.

GMU Steeler
09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Hate to say it, but I think it's kind of rubbing it in. We only pull that play when we're well ahead and there's not much chance of a comeback.

Weird hearing that from a Ravens fan. I think it was too frankly but I am also of the mind that you gotta stop it too if teams are going to pull that and we couldn't stop that so I am not gonna blast Harbaugh too much for it. Though we did later stop the fourth and one. I think there was a lot of emotion on the Ravens side in the game. Just an observation, I think the playoff game last season really gnawed at them all off season. Blowing a 21-7 is tough and even tougher against a rival and in the playoffs to boot.

Buddha Bus
09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Don't like it?

Stop it. :hunch:

Moose
09-13-2011, 08:37 PM
I really don't think they were rubbing our nose in it. I think they figured the steeler's are capable of coming back from a deficiet and just figured that extra 1 point would come in handy. Don't forget the steeler's came back from a big deficiet in another came against the ratbirds. As far as as 'saving' it for another time down the road, I don't think it will be a big deal, no one laid a hand on him so it would be interesting to see if anyone could pick up that play again.

tony hipchest
09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
its also worthy to note that in many instances, this call is placed on the holder/placekicker.

they are instructed that if they see something, that is a sure fire, 100% bet to go ahead and make the call at the line.

many times the rest of the players or even coaching staff (other than ST) have no hand in the call or even an idea it is coming.

its called "situational football".

if i were a coach, i woulda chewed my kicker out for not taking the sure points, regardless of how far ahead we were.

the thin skinned need to resort to playing scrabble where they can defer to a dictionary if points are disputed.

:hunch: