PDA

View Full Version : Run Def wasnt that bad

Curtain_of_Steel
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Take away 2 plays, and its 50 yards.

Howver you do not know if they let up, or they stepped up.

Smith didnt help much at all, so he certainly didnt step up. Im considering erases the signed helmet of his I have. LOL

3rdandlong
09-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I thought the post title was sarcastic. Are you kidding? This was one of the worst rushing defense performances I've seen in years. Almost 200 yards rushing by the Ravens. This would be bad for the Carolina Panthers, and no one expects much from them. This is abysmal for the Steelers!

kirklandrules
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
The run defense was worse than you think. Lucky the flakey coach for the ratbirds kept calling pass plays or they would have had 300 yards rushing.

I thought the CBs did a decent job. It was the LBs and the S that couldn't cover backs and TEs. Seemed to be a good deal of disorientation amongst those players. A few times I was thinking it was mighty nice that Timmons and Palamalu got their big deals done before the season, because they sure sh!t the bed in this game. Hopefully, they got that crap outta their system and can figure out what they're made of going forward.

GMU Steeler
09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
It was bad. Ray Rice is a great running back though and he was the last guy to run 100 yards on our D so it's not like we let some untalented guy run on us.

Kanata-Steeler
09-11-2011, 09:58 PM
when your own "O" hands your own "D" 7 Turnovers, + the obvious fact that the "D" has been basically on field 80% of the time, and getting tired, then what the heck did u expect from any Defense ?!
The Defense was not good, but read above line again,. and tell me just how much better could they possibly try to be.
Run Def was as good as it was gonna get, under those circumstances.

all I know is 7 -Turnovers is ridiculous, and the Steelers should embarassingly burn that fact tonite into their memory banks, especially Ben.
Ben's post-game comments sounded feebly childish, with silly little excuses, no kudos there.
Hey Ben, just admit it, they killed you, fair n' square. just move on.
Well, we'll all see soon, regular season has just started.

jimmy jr
09-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Is it just me or does Mendenhall cough up the ball every time we play you guys?

mikegrimey
09-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Not really

I don't think it's fair to blame Rashard for his fumble today though, he hardly got a hand on the ball before Ngata steamrolled him

Fire Arians
09-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Not really

I don't think it's fair to blame Rashard for his fumble today though, he hardly got a hand on the ball before Ngata steamrolled him

ben shoulda tucked that ball and fell on it instead of handing it off. from the start that play was going nowhere and mendy was hit before the ball was even fully exchanged

IF our o-line was any good rashard would be one of the premier backs in the league, it seems like he has to beat 2-3 players just to make it back to the line of scrimmage on almost every play

mikegrimey
09-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Don't know if I'd go that far. It's hard to imagine a lineman having a straight line at the handoff right away.

Danny136200
09-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Ben's post-game comments sounded feebly childish, with silly little excuses, no kudos there.

Dude, what are you talking about? He took all the blame and said that they need to move one. don't know what press conference you seen.

SunshineMan21
09-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Yes, it was that bad. Everyone just looked lost and slow, like they were playing a pick-up game. No intensity.

Rick5895
09-12-2011, 05:41 AM
when your own "O" hands your own "D" 7 Turnovers, + the obvious fact that the "D" has been basically on field 80% of the time, and getting tired, then what the heck did u expect from any Defense ?!
The Defense was not good, but read above line again,. and tell me just how much better could they possibly try to be.
Run Def was as good as it was gonna get, under those circumstances.

all I know is 7 -Turnovers is ridiculous, and the Steelers should embarassingly burn that fact tonite into their memory banks, especially Ben.

I like the optimism form you there , but 7 turnovers or not. Our D stunk, and right from the opening drive. Our Line was pushed around, our LB's were slow and out of position, our DB's (exception was Ike) were awful and out of position. I think it would have been worse for our D today with out turnovers, they wold have piled up more yardage on us, We didn't answer the bell today.
But it is only one game and I am certain we will bounce back.

steeltheone
09-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Bet Smith and Keisel both start this week!

SouthTexasSteel
09-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't think the D looked old, it looked out of shape!! Lets face it, all this nonsense about "time-off" helping the older guys is BS. Yes our D averages right at 31 years old, but what I saw yesterday comes from no off season training and very little game playing time during the pre-season, not being old and slow. I knew this shit was going to happen! When you are a younger D you can jump back in the saddle a bit quicker. This D is going to be fine........ once it gets into game shape!!! I'm just glad we are facing Seattle and a sucky Indy team on this 7 game run leading up to the Pats. The Texans may well lay a whoopin' on us as well if we can't keep our D off the field like in this game. If we take this one game at a time, AND PLAY SMART Steelers football, I think we very well could be 5 - 2 going into the Pats/Ravens back to back games. If not 4 - 3 or 3 - 4 is a very real possibility. Just my 2 centavos!!! Nov 6th will be a MUCH different story... book it!!

Aussie Steeler
09-12-2011, 08:59 AM
that run defense was so bad from the get-go. really freed up the pass for baltimore. our defense got absolutely trashed.

SteelCityMom
09-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Yeah, that misplay and fumble had nothing to do with Mendy. There was absolutely nothing he could do under those circumstances. That was all on the center and Ben.

As to the thread...I agree that a big part of the reason they were so bad was due to them being on the field (and a lot of short fields) too much. But even taking that into consideration, they were still pretty bad...right from the get go too.