PDA

View Full Version : Can We All Stop Freaking Out?

Shreveport Steeler
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
It's ONE game. This does not define our entire season. We obviously didn't come out ready to play. We get a very winnable game against Seattle next Sunday. And everybody needs to stop with the whole "our team is too old and slow" bs. The Steelers are 7 months removed from a Super Bowl. Tomlin will get these guys fired up. If anything, we will come out hungrier. I guarantee you the Steelers will be dominant this year. It's what we do. Let's go get number 7 :tt03:

GMU Steeler
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I am a little worried I admit but it's way too early to put on the panic button. They won round one last time too. Let's get on the right track and we'll probably beat them in round 2 at home.

jjpro11
09-11-2011, 09:58 PM
this kind of shit happens.. we've seen seen it first hand a couple times. 04 we spanked the Pats in the regular season, they came back and kicked the crap out of us in the AFCCG.. 05 we got spanked by the Colts in the regular season, we came back and beat them in the divisional round.

StainlessStill
09-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Like I said before. Nothing went right. The whole entire day was an absolute mess. If Baltimore beat us at our best, I'd be worried but we simply weren't. We aren't as bad as we looked. People need to chill. We'll regroup and take care of business starting next week.

Navy86
09-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm officially worried. Not that we lost, but the Steeler culture of the unwillingness to sit guys that are underperfoming at their respective positions. How long do we have to endure McFadden and Gay? If they are still the # 2 and 3 CB by midseason, we are no better than 4-4. I'll be happy to eat the crow if I'm wrong.

pancake
09-11-2011, 11:57 PM
I have walked back from the ledge for now... :chuckle:

I think we just have a bad game and I hate it was against the Ratbirds...

StainlessStill
09-12-2011, 12:15 AM
not at your best?
cmon now
it would b nice if it was mayb acknowledged that you werent at your best because the ravens made you that way

What more do you supposedly want? Every Steelers fan known to man at this point admits that the Ravens completely ripped us a new one, sewed it back up, and ripped it again for shits and giggles. However, that was not the same Steelers team out there that made this rivalry so competitive. Things can go haywire sometimes, and the Steelers lived it today. Of course the Ravens did their job and beat us the way they intended to, but the Steelers made it a tad easier on Baltimore, not even close playing to their slightest potential.

If you want to gloat and claim the power shift has transferred after an opening game, fine, but don't expect us to lay down and think you guys will have your way with us next time. It's simply not happening. By all means, Baltimore fans have every right to gloat, they beat the team that crushed their hopes season, after season after season. You guys got bragging rights until November. When that 2nd game is underway, it'll be a whole new circumstance.

toughsticks87
09-12-2011, 12:17 AM
not at your best?
cmon now
it would b nice if it was mayb acknowledged that you werent at your best because the ravens made you that way

The Ravens wanted it more today. Live it up. It's not happening again.

ETL
09-12-2011, 12:38 AM
I agree - we should stop freaking out.

But freaker outers will continue to do so ... they can't help it.

StainlessStill
09-12-2011, 12:43 AM
I agree - we should stop freaking out.

But freaker outers will continue to do so ... they can't help it.

LOL, the freaker outers. NICE. Am I the only one not too worried about this? I actually felt like we needed to be humbled. Thanks Baltimore, this will only get us better.:tt04:

jtbsteeler
09-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Accept the whipping, and move on. Lee Evans wasn't a factor. Boldin, Rice and the TE's beat us. Clearly they went at the the weakness. Farrior in space. The good thing is we'll have alot of tape on them the next time. No team can win with 7 turnovers. I think the defense figured it out, but Ben, Scott and Legursky killed any momentum we had. Look for Gilbert to start this week

Foote for Farrior wasn't the move. Neither one is good in space against a TE. I say give Sylvester some minutes.

Seahawks this week. Let the Ravens fans crow about their regular season Super Bowl.

steeltheone
09-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Tomlin will never set his vets....

Steel_Bus_24
09-12-2011, 03:11 AM
If we don't pound the seahawks and comfortably, then its going to be a long season

They're tailor made for us or what used to be us

Big Gut check time.....how bad do you want it this year Steelers???

Steelersfan87
09-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Foote for Farrior wasn't the move. Neither one is good in space against a TE. I say give Sylvester some minutes.

I saw Sylvester getting beat fairly consistently by RBs and TEs in the preseason as well.

DanRooney
09-12-2011, 03:16 AM
I saw Sylvester getting beat fairly consistently by RBs and TEs in the preseason as well.

Sylvester has the speed to cover. It's just a matter of getting reps and knowing patterns. But as we all know, it's kind of hard when you're sitting on the bench watching Larry Slow-A Foote lost in the flats and arm tackling everyone who runs straight at him.

OX1947
09-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Not covering, not stopping the run is not the issue. That shit happens some times. The issue is, the Steelers have had 10 turnovers in their last 2 games. Big Ben is turning into jake Delhomme in the turnover department. It is getting really bad and frustrating. Its todays game on why i felt so sick after losing the Super Bowl. If the Steelers beat the Packers, this season, let alone the Ravens game, is a little tolerable. Because this crew would have won 3 titles and if they didnt win another one, hey, they did an amazing job getting 3. Now, I know 2 is nothing to balk at, but when you are in the last game, not winning it is a lost opportunity. So, we will see what happens.

Fire Arians
09-12-2011, 03:50 AM
i wouldn't go as far as calling him jake delhomme yet, ben will bounce back.

but i agree, it's frustrating. he needs to be smarter with the football than he was today

Rick5895
09-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Sylvester has the speed to cover. It's just a matter of getting reps and knowing patterns. But as we all know, it's kind of hard when you're sitting on the bench watching Larry Slow-A Foote lost in the flats and arm tackling everyone who runs straight at him.
I to would have like to see Sylvester in there a bit as well, however this loss can't be put at the foot of one or two players, other posters already on the Gay/BMAC bash -a -thon. they all stunk, the only player on D that was worth a shiite was Ike. Woodley and Timmons looked slow and unprepared, Troy was undisciplined, Keisel and Smith were getting blown off the ball.
I wanted to see hayward, Hood, Allen, Lewis in the game as well. It was ugly and is done now, move on. We got our butts kicked by the ratbirds in game 2 in 2004, and ended up 15-1. I am not saying we have a 15-1 team but this is only 1 game and if we can get ourselves back down to earth this game will be looked at down the road as the game that did us a favor

BIGNASTY91
09-12-2011, 07:08 AM
LOL, the freaker outers. NICE. Am I the only one not too worried about this? I actually felt like we needed to be humbled. Thanks Baltimore, this will only get us better.:tt04:

I am so pissed at the loss, and how we played. But ill admit this might actually be a good thing? They had there asses handed to them sunday! Maybe it will open there eyes and bring back down a notch and just get back to what they do best, Smashmouth football!!!!!!! This one hurt really bad, but if they step back and look it could be what this team needed to propell them through the season! :tt03:

LVSteelersfan
09-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Obviously something has to be done about the O-line. That was the catalyst of the whole problem because it was the cause of the turnovers. Get Flozell back in here, move Colon to left tackle or guard and let the rookie play. Even Essex should be given a shot. He is certainly better than Scott. Surely that would not be as bad a line as it was . The D was on the field way too long in this game which makes you look slow. Ben needs to do a better job back there. Ratbirds were ready to play. Steelers were not. Pretty simple.

CaliStillersFan
09-12-2011, 12:15 PM
16 teams lose their opener every year, I know we're not used to what that feels like, but there's still 15 weeks left. Now if we don't win over the next 2 weeks by a comfortable margin, then maybe there will be reason to worry.

Rick5895
09-12-2011, 12:39 PM
The 2003 Patriots opened with a 31-0 loss at Buffalo, and then won 17 of their final 18, including the Super Bowl. Bury teams at 0-4 or 1-5, not 0-1.

I had forgotten this and then read Peter Kings article. TYhe Ravens are a good team, usually right there with us for the division, fi they do this again to us then I will worry. but not now.

:tt04:

effyou515
09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
yes you are, freaking out man.
http://www.reelingreviews.com/supertrooperspic.jpg

ebsteelers
09-12-2011, 01:09 PM
lmao, if only dumper were here.. on the road to 0-16..

Steelersfan87
09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
The panic on this board is unbelievable. Ben Roethlisberger turning into Jake Delhomme? There's not a whole lot of continuity between the superbowl in February and week 1 in September, so it's silly to use that as "the last two games" as if that could actually show a significant trend. The Steelers as a team didn't give up a single turnover the entire preseason. I think the team is closer to that than the 7 turnovers they gave up yesterday.

Rick5895
09-12-2011, 06:11 PM
QUOTE=Dodens Grav;943275]The panic on this board is unbelievable. Ben Roethlisberger turning into Jake Delhomme? There's not a whole lot of continuity between the superbowl in February and week 1 in September, so it's silly to use that as "the last two games" as if that could actually show a significant trend. The Steelers as a team didn't give up a single turnover the entire preseason. I think the team is closer to that than the 7 turnovers they gave up yesterday.[/QUOTE]

:applaudit: Well said

solardave
09-12-2011, 06:19 PM
If we don't pound the seahawks and comfortably, then its going to be a long season

They're tailor made for us or what used to be us

Big Gut check time.....how bad do you want it this year Steelers???

All I can say is look out Seahawks. After Tomlin gets done kicking some asses it'll be your turn.

fer522
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
the one thing that i worry about the most is not how old the D is,
a few weeks back the eagles, "the dream team" could not do shit
to the same D that got destroyed yesterday
what bothers me the most is the way we lost the ball yesterday
we had 7 turnovers and they scored i believe 15 or 18 points off of
those turnovers.
you can't win when you give up that many points

Fire Arians
09-12-2011, 07:09 PM
yeah 7 turnovers is really bad.

hell, 5 turnovers is enough to cause a rant like this :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

fer522
09-12-2011, 07:13 PM
this was beautiful :chuckle: :chuckle:

-oSFYxDGKy8

tony hipchest
09-12-2011, 07:16 PM
bill cowher reminded pat kirwan of the season opener in 2001 where the steelers were spanked in jacksonvill 21-3.

the steelers won 12 of their next 13 games and shoulda beat the patriots in the afcc game.

bill seemed pretty confident this is just a minor speed bump.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
This last game WAS terrible, but I don't think that is exactly what folks are freaking out about.

I understand that calmer minds prevail, and panicking at a week 1 loss is silly, but with Colon out for the season now, a terrible Oline just got even worse, we addressed NONE of the secondary needs from last year. Sure, we have recovered from some really bad losses (like that week 3 debacle at Philadelphia in 2008), but looking at the logistics, there is little reason to think we can fix most of the problems we saw Sunday with the current personnel on our roster.

isunormalil
09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
This last game WAS terrible, but I don't think that is exactly what folks are freaking out about.

I understand that calmer minds prevail, and panicking at a week 1 loss is silly, but with Colon out for the season now, a terrible Oline just got even worse, we addressed NONE of the secondary needs from last year. Sure, we have recovered from some really bad losses (like that week 3 debacle at Philadelphia in 2008), but looking at the logistics, there is little reason to think we can fix most of the problems we saw Sunday with the current personnel on our roster.

We didn't have Colon last year, and we managed just fine. They need to sign Adams and get it over.

tanda10506
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM

I think are biggest problem was defense, and this is the same defense as last year, so I would say we can fix a lot of it. The pass defense will never be that good since McFadden and Gay are so bad, but we could try some rookies and 2nd year guys. The O line will not improve at all, it sucks, but Ben and the receivers can, and I think Ben was the biggest problem on offense this game.

I'd like to see what some of the more intelligent comentators/reporters like Cowher, Marino, and some others have to say about it, but I'm not finding much.

Steelersfan87
09-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I think the o-line will improve once they insert Marcus Gilbert. I would like them to move Scott to RT and throw Gilbert into the fire at LT. If he falls on his face, Essex can spell him. The secondary should also improve eventually at some point during the season when they finally relent and give some playing time to some combination of Lewis/Brown/Allen. By the way, did anybody else find it interesting that Allen was active over Brown? And when Cotchery is healthy, are neither of them active?

pancake
09-13-2011, 07:09 AM
For anyone who remembers the 1989 season, we started off much worse than this and still made the playoffs.

BIGNASTY91
09-13-2011, 09:27 AM
For anyone who remembers the 1989 season, we started off much worse than this and still made the playoffs.

EXACTLY!!! Everyone needs to chill out and see how things work out. Every year the O-Line sucks and somehow finds a way to get in sinc with one another to be pretty fair. Lets chill and see if this loss will wake this team up. I would much rather suffer a loss like this now than further into the season!! :tt03: :tt03:

fortmemphis
09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I think it is apparant that the Ravens have built their team specifically to beat us. I think that after last season's loss to us in the playoffs, the Ravens wanted this game more than anything. They have pointed to it since the schedule was announced. They were ready. They forced a couple turnovers and things snowballed. In a game like that, the winning team is never as good as it looked and the losing team is never as bad as it looked.

Pittburgh was flat. No doubt about it. Lets see if Tomlin can use this as a wakeup call and light a fire under the team. We should be fine. Next week will say a lot.

fer522
09-13-2011, 05:37 PM
what do you mean stop freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i can't stop freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YersIyzsOpc

JustinM
09-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm officially worried. Not that we lost, but the Steeler culture of the unwillingness to sit guys that are underperfoming at their respective positions. How long do we have to endure McFadden and Gay? If they are still the # 2 and 3 CB by midseason, we are no better than 4-4. I'll be happy to eat the crow if I'm wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees Gay's consistently poor performance.

BKAnthem
09-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees Gay's consistently poor performance.

Believe me...we are not the majority on this board

tony hipchest
09-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Believe me...we are not the majority on this boardyou are correct.

a select few wanna pick up every nmamdi asomugha and d. revis who hits free agency and trade up for every j. haden and p. peterson who enters the draft, along with selecting a top 5 lineman every single year.

i really think some steelerfans would be more satisfied with top 10 draft picks than AFC Championship games.

its really a shame our team choses to operate within the confines of the cap instead of mortgaging the future for a single run and rebuilding for a decade. :dang:

davidtrout
09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
you are correct.

a select few wanna pick up every nmamdi asomugha and d. revis who hits free agency and trade up for every j. haden and p. peterson who enters the draft, along with selecting a top 5 lineman every single year.

i really think some steelerfans would be more satisfied with top 10 draft picks than AFC Championship games.

its really a shame our team choses to operate within the confines of the cap instead of mortgaging the future for a single run and rebuilding for a decade. :dang:

:applaudit: Don't forget the ones who think we need to bench every player that isn't meeting their own personal standards. i think they actually believe the coaches are holding better football players out of games in favor of the starters. For what reason, I just can't imagine. Stubbornness, I guess. :toofunny:

Atlanta Dan
09-13-2011, 10:42 PM

What? Haven't you heard?!

The Steelers are $25 million over they cap for 2012 - the only way they will be able to field a team next season is by releasing Roethlisberger:banging:

Sunday's loss is the start of a disaster of Biblical proportions for the Steelers

O3ZOKDmorj0

tony hipchest
09-13-2011, 10:44 PM
lmao!

a ghostbusters reference...

i love it!

FanSince72
09-13-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm OK with dogs and cats living together.

If he said Steeler fans and Browns fans then I'd be concerned. :yikes:

Vis
11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm OK with dogs and cats living together.

If he said Steeler fans and Browns fans then I'd be concerned. :yikes:

Teamist

Fire Arians
11-12-2014, 02:49 PM
holy necropost batman!

teegre
11-12-2014, 03:04 PM
I think that Vis 's point is that we have been been through this before. Losses happen, the fans overreact, and the team ends up doing well.

That said...

Hawaii 5-0
11-12-2014, 03:06 PM
I think that Vis 's point is that we have been been through this before. Losses happen, the fans overreact, and the team ends up doing well.

That said...

yeah, it's when the "we are gonna go undefeated from here on out and win the Super Bowl and our offense is unstoppable" threads come out that I start to worry...

SH-Rock
11-12-2014, 03:06 PM
you are correct.

What's more exciting than getting a top 10 pick, hoping your franchise turns it around and then repeating it the next year?

teegre
11-12-2014, 03:11 PM
yeah, it's when the "we are gonna go undefeated from here on out and win the Super Bowl and our offense is unstoppable" threads come out that I start to worry...

Guilty. :chuckle:

16-4 baby!!!

Vis
11-12-2014, 03:13 PM
What's more exciting than getting a top 10 pick, hoping your franchise turns it around and then repeating it the next year?

6 rings, the Steelers' way.

Fire Arians
11-12-2014, 03:56 PM

it's like the stock market.

when everyone's saying BUY BUY BUY it's time to sell and take profits

when everyone's saying SELL SELL SELL THE WORLD IS ENDING HERE COMES THE CRASH YO it's time to buy

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2014, 05:39 PM
it's like the stock market.

when everyone's saying BUY BUY BUY it's time to sell and take profits

when everyone's saying SELL SELL SELL THE WORLD IS ENDING HERE COMES THE CRASH YO it's time to buy

Great analogy Winthorp!
http://cdn.screeningfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/TradingPlaces_BD.jpg

steelersfan77
11-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Who's freaking out?.. We have a bunch of good guys, the best ownership, a positive coach who keeps everyone grounded and a cake schedule left. Really, honestly, the last few seasons have been favorable schedule wise but some brain dead losses are killing us. Even the Denver playoff game 4 seasons ago was an oops game.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, everyone goes on with their life. Freaking out? 2011 or 2014....please.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
11-12-2014, 06:50 PM
I was expecting a fresh new thread that was going to be filled with beavers and turtles.

Thanks for ruining my day people.

Fire Arians
11-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Who's freaking out?.. We have a bunch of good guys, the best ownership, a positive coach who keeps everyone grounded and a cake schedule left. Really, honestly, the last few seasons have been favorable schedule wise but some brain dead losses are killing us. Even the Denver playoff game 4 seasons ago was an oops game.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, everyone goes on with their life. Freaking out? 2011 or 2014....please.

the year we win the super bowl we have one of the toughest schedules in NFL history as far as opponent avg win/loss. it's almost like the team needs a tough schedule to stay motivated

i literally cringe anytime someone mentions 'easy schedule'. easy schedule in the tomlin era = a bunch of letdowns against the worst nfl teams. it's like we're running a charity to donate wins to the least fortunate nfl franchises, which is honorable if you're not running a professional sports team.

Hawaii 5-0
11-12-2014, 07:01 PM
I was expecting a fresh new thread that was going to be filled with beavers and turtles.

Thanks for ruining my day people.

turtles also? wow, you really are kinky...:chuckle:

Hi5Steeler
11-12-2014, 07:20 PM
It's ONE game. This does not define our entire season. We obviously didn't come out ready to play. We get a very winnable game against Seattle next Sunday. And everybody needs to stop with the whole "our team is too old and slow" bs. The Steelers are 7 months removed from a Super Bowl. Tomlin will get these guys fired up. If anything, we will come out hungrier. I guarantee you the Steelers will be dominant this year. It's what we do. Let's go get number 7 :tt03:

Im not worried at all. Superbowl 40 season we had SIX losses. A few years ago the lowly Giants had SEVEN losses and went on to kick tom bradys ass in the superbowl. Then do it AGAIN a few years later.

Color me not impressed by this loss. :coffee:

This is all just training for the playoffs.

harrison'samonster
11-12-2014, 07:27 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/0d06990f9d163a337e0fce50eb7f12db/tumblr_mq1irymrVL1s2gg27o1_250.gif

Hawaii 5-0
11-12-2014, 07:36 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/0d06990f9d163a337e0fce50eb7f12db/tumblr_mq1irymrVL1s2gg27o1_250.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/ILwZtc2vbG7N6/giphy.gif

harrison'samonster
11-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Hawaii 5-0

I suspect this one might be photoshoped, but not sure...

http://media.giphy.com/media/tj7q6n5L4qW7m/giphy.gif

Hawaii 5-0
11-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Hawaii 5-0

http://media.giphy.com/media/tj7q6n5L4qW7m/giphy.gif

no, I think they might just be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/03b7b6a1ba12da1663a54031c0c94a36/tumblr_mmzvo6ohWh1soog04o1_400.gif

harrison'samonster
11-12-2014, 07:48 PM
BFF's

http://i.imgur.com/FINeaXL.gif

Hawaii 5-0
11-12-2014, 07:55 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/caEGZ24ncHQ2I/giphy.gif

teegre
11-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Hawaii 5-0

:toofunny:

I literally "laughed out loud."

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
11-13-2014, 08:46 AM
turtles also? wow, you really are kinky...:chuckle:

Tbh I dont even remember writing that :rofl:

pczach
11-13-2014, 04:10 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/ItPLUMv2ZtUfm/giphy.gif

pczach
11-13-2014, 04:15 PM
This turtle reminds me of some annoying Steeler fans. :chuckle:

http://media.giphy.com/media/nW4KCJ69yii9q/giphy.gif

kornbread
11-13-2014, 04:21 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/52/524cfa9af562c6189dbb7df43fb75afb5e69114e770d8a6eaa 8f1355089b9518.jpg

BlaZeQuietly
11-13-2014, 06:07 PM
why the hell did someone bump a post from 2011?

Hawaii 5-0
11-13-2014, 06:27 PM
why the hell did someone bump a post from 2011?

idk, there are a lot better old threads that are way more worthy of being bumped...

Mike Wallace anyone? :chuckle:

pczach
11-13-2014, 10:25 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/Uohib1iU5Y6uQ/giphy.gif

Gnutella
11-14-2014, 04:42 AM

I'm not freaking out; in fact, I tend to be one who ridicules those who do. With that said, losses like those against the Buccaneers and Jets cannot happen again this season if the Steelers expect to make the playoffs. As it stands right now, they more than likely need to finish at least 4-2 to have a chance.

The Steelers have three games left at home and three games left on the road, and two of the three teams they play on the road have losing records, so if they can avoid another let-down, then they ought to be able to win both of those games, which would put them in a good position to finish at least 10-6 for the season.

Steeldude
11-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Ah, the timeless "It's just one loss" thread. Just goes to show just how important each game is on the schedule. Yep, it's one loss. That would be one loss closer to missing the playoffs.

BlaZeQuietly
11-14-2014, 08:51 AM
yup 7-3 and 6-4 are worlds apart in the afc right now

kornbread
11-14-2014, 11:13 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/Uohib1iU5Y6uQ/giphy.gif

Kowabunga DUDE!