PDA

View Full Version : 10 Observations from Steelers @ Ravens

Fire Arians
09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought this was a good read and pretty spot-on.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/09/11/10-observations-from-steelers-ravens/

The Ravens put a good whooping on us in game 1. They look like they built their entire team to just beat us. Speed at the cornerback, a good fullback, and retooling the offensive line so that we could not pass rush. All the changes from last season look to be ones that would give them advantage over the Steelers and it worked. Here are some observations from this game.

Ike Taylor was as shutdown as shutdown gets today. He blanked Lee Evans. He lined up on him from play one and never gave him an inch. Baltimore tried to get him the ball a few times and then realized they just needed to go to other receivers because they were open.

James Farrior- I do not care what Mike Tomlin said in his press conference Farrior was god awful that is why he was pulled. Not because Larry Foote practiced well. You can make that excuse all you want but Farrior could not get off a block or fill a hole to save himself today. He looked slow and old and like he did not belong. He looked like age caught up to him all at once.

We could not block a soul today. Suggs had 3 sacks. Jonathan Scott might as well have been on the bench. Ngata made Legursky look like a school child. False Start/Hold Colon was back in full force. The man is a walking penalty. This line is going to have a long season. I would put Gilbert in now and would have spent my money on a real guard. We do not have a lineman outside of Pouncey who deserves to be on the field. This is every season though. The Ravens just made it obvious today.

Ben Roethlisberger looked scared today but I do not blame him. He was beat up and running for his life all day. He floated many of his passes. Anytime he did not get juice on the ball it was picked off or batted down. Ed Reed should have had 4 picks today but dropped 2 of them.

Casey Hampton was a beast. He was pushing the line backwards all day. Matt Birk could not block him. He made alleys for the linebackers but they did not fill them. It actually may have made things worse because it made the hole bigger for the running backs to go through. Casey’s great play may have been a disadvantage today. On Ray Rice’s touchdown Casey was 3 yards in the backfield and James Farrior got run over for the touchdown. Good game Snack.

Bryant McFadden is garbage. He was terrible all game. Even when he had good coverage he can not make the play. Anquan Boldin should not have scored on the first drive. McFadden had coverage and then just fell over. They picked on him every chance they got. He was even being beat by Tight Ends.

Poor play calling as usual. We were running it down Baltimore’s throats at the beginning of the game. Mendenhall was having no trouble and all the sudden we just stopped. He had 11 yards on his first 2 carries then we threw the ball the next 8 plays. Then we ran the ball 6 times on the next drive and we scored a touchdown. Then we passed the ball on the next 6 plays and went 3 and out on both series. After that we were so far behind that all we could do was pass. As per usual Bruce Arians went against what was working though and just tried to throw it all over the field even though we could not block the Ravens pass rush.

James Harrison got smoked by Bryant McKinnie all day long. Harrison may have made 9 tackles but they were all after the running back made it down the field but one. He did make the play on the fourth and 1 but otherwise he was tackling people 4-6 yards down the field. He looked slow. He looked tired. He looked unhealthy. Which sucks for us but he may not be able to stay on the field.

Going away from everything you did in the preseason. Keenan Lewis did not touch the field. Heyward and Hood barely played which I was scared of. I knew we would do that. Just let them sit. It sickens me to see talent wasted for guys who can not stay on the field because they need a break. We are wasting Ziggy Hood. We changed our formations from what we did all preseason. The bunch went from Brown on the outside to Wallace back on the outside.

Finally we need a damn fullback. David Johnson misses more blocks out of the backfield then we can afford. On the plays when Mendenhall did get stopped it was on blocks that Johnson just flat out missed. Just like the Super Bowl.

The Steelers made no changes this offseason and it showed. We are the same team as last year just older and slower. The changes were made on the other side of the field and we payed for not adapting to them. It is only game one and we get Seattle next week and Indianapolis the week after. Hopefully we can right this ship before we get back to the good teams we will be playing. We get a two week practice window before that happens. I hope they use it.

MACH1
09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
As per usual Bruce Arians went against what was working though and just tried to throw it all over the field even though we could not block the Ravens pass rush

Does this really surprise anyone?

Baltimore Ravens Fan
09-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Is Brian Waters (KC LG) or whatever his name still a FA?

OX1947
09-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Those who keep blaming offensive coordinators for not doing their job, in case you forgot, the head coach makes the ultimate decision. And if our franchise QB is so smart, he also needs to tell his coordinator what is best out there. Big Ben is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers.

By the way Ngata destroys everyone he plays against. I can not for the life of me understand how Albert Haynesworth gets so much pub when Ngata could put that guy in his pocket. Ngata is the best interior D-lineman in the league and there isnt anyone close.

stiller39
09-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Your analysis was good. Thanks!

Coaches make little adjustments after game plan goes to hell.

Steeldude
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Heyward and Hood barely played which I was scared of. I knew we would do that. Just let them sit. It sickens me to see talent wasted for guys who can not stay on the field because they need a break. We are wasting Ziggy Hood.

as always. why did the steelers draft hood? he'll play next year and then the steelers will lose him to free agency? heyward won't see playing time for another 2 years. hampton is what he is and that's just a fat NT. people are so enamored by fat NTs. i love it when the announcer says it's a 3-man rush. no it is not a 3-man rush. it's 3 men standing, not rushing.

i am sure am glad the steelers spend absurd money to get poor/average players(mcfadden, foote) back. does mcfadden have any agility? foote took poor angles again. you will not see sylvester all year.

the O-line is a joke, but that's been known for 9 years. i know, get adams back and move colon to G. it's too bad starks can't control his food intake. we all know scott is going to be abused all year so why not start the rookie at LT? you can learn blocking assignments, but who is going to teach scott how to block?

lebeau played a bland and passive defense again. arians is in love with the ineffective bubble screen. the steelers use their TE when the game is all but over. same goes for screens to the RBs. arians is not a mastermind that fans make him out to be. BR still has not gotten rid of his dead duck lob. also, he still throws off his back foot. that being said, BR doesn't have an O-line to give him ample time or at least a decent pocket.

the positives in this game was no one was injured and it's only game 1 of the season.

Steeldude
09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Those who keep blaming offensive coordinators for not doing their job, in case you forgot, the head coach makes the ultimate decision. And if our franchise QB is so smart, he also needs to tell his coordinator what is best out there. Big Ben is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers.

By the way Ngata destroys everyone he plays against. I can not for the life of me understand how Albert Haynesworth gets so much pub when Ngata could put that guy in his pocket. Ngata is the best interior D-lineman in the league and there isnt anyone close.

ngata is awesome, but i think suu is very close.

i believe the OC picks the plays, not the HC. the OC creates the game plan, not the HC. this is not to say the HC doesn't make judgment calls in games. let's put it this way, whoever is making the calls and the game plans needs his head examined. of course that's just my opinion

steeltheone
09-12-2011, 02:07 PM
as always. why did the steelers draft hood? he'll play next year and then the steelers will lose him to free agency? heyward won't see playing time for another 2 years. hampton is what he is and that's just a fat NT. people are so enamored by fat NTs. i love it when the announcer says it's a 3-man rush. no it is not a 3-man rush. it's 3 men standing, not rushing.

i am sure am glad the steelers spend absurd money to get poor/average players(mcfadden, foote) back. does mcfadden have any agility? foote took poor angles again. you will not see sylvester all year.

the O-line is a joke, but that's been known for 9 years. i know, get adams back and move colon to G. it's too bad starks can't control his food intake. we all know scott is going to be abused all year so why not start the rookie at LT? you can learn blocking assignments, but who is going to teach scott how to block?

lebeau played a bland and passive defense again. arians is in love with the ineffective bubble screen. the steelers use their TE when the game is all but over. same goes for screens to the RBs. arians is not a mastermind that fans make him out to be. BR still has not gotten rid of his dead duck lob. also, he still throws off his back foot. that being said, BR doesn't have an O-line to give him ample time or at least a decent pocket.

the positives in this game was no one was injured and it's only game 1 of the season.
Agreed Hampton is a fat and overpaid ...Smith and Kiesel get next to no rush either....Why do you think other teams are not playing 35 year olds?

tanda10506
09-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Completely agree. I did notice Hampton getting the push. Ike played a great game, it was one of the only games I've seen where he was just an absolute shut down corner, especially against a good receiver. Harrison is not 100% yet, he will be soon so I'm not to worried about it, especially since he was so OBVIOUSLY heald 6-10 times. I think Ben was scared that nothing the offense did was working. He was getting chased all day but he's getting used to that, his throws were WAY off and his decisions were horrible, and nobody was open, EVER. In garbage time Wallace got open for some short routes, that's it.

DanRooney
09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Hood has always been a questionable draft pick in my eyes. He is a prototypical 4-3 DT in terms of his build. Tomlin is basically wasting away his rookie contract. He had a poor 2009 campaign in light of Smith's injury, often getting driven backwards and on his ass in most games; then had a great last half of 2010 after it took him 2 years to learn the position. Now he rides the bench again. I really thought we were going Rey Maualuga and I'm kind of wishing we did based on Foote and Farrior's performance against the Ravens

Heyward shouldn't have as difficult of a transition. He was getting comparisons to Richard Seymour coming out of OSU. I fully expect him to be the full time starter next year or quite possibly by the end of this year... especially watching Keisel get blown off the ball yesterday.

austinfrench76
09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Agree with most of the write up except for Ben. Why is everyone letting him off the hook?! He played AWFUL. Let me repeat, AWFUL!!!! He was outplayed by every other QB in the league yesterday! Ok, no on else played Baltimore but really are they THAT good?! Ben was bad and I mean really bad. If you look at my previous post, I have always supported him but yesterday he was AWFUL! Cam Newton outplayed him! The D did not look good, except for Ike and yes Keenan Lewis should start seeing the field because McFadden is also AWFUL. At least I know for a fact that Ben will be fine but man did he look bad yesterday. Even when he was not under pressure..oh forget it. Ben looked awful.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Agree with most of the write up except for Ben. Why is everyone letting him off the hook?! He played AWFUL. Let me repeat, AWFUL!!!! He was outplayed by every other QB in the league yesterday! Ok, no on else played Baltimore but really are they THAT good?! Ben was bad and I mean really bad. If you look at my previous post, I have always supported him but yesterday he was AWFUL! Cam Newton outplayed him! The D did not look good, except for Ike and yes Keenan Lewis should start seeing the field because McFadden is also AWFUL. At least I know for a fact that Ben will be fine but man did he look bad yesterday. Even when he was not under pressure..oh forget it. Ben looked awful.

He did not play his best game, but I think most are giving him a pass because the protection was SO TERRIBLE (non-existent). I mean.....when your Oline cannot even buy enough time for the QB to be able to do a simple hand-off on a dive run up the middle, the QB cannot be expected to do much.

Men of Steel
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
He did not play his best game, but I think most are giving him a pass because the protection was SO TERRIBLE (non-existent). I mean.....when your Oline cannot even buy enough time for the QB to be able to do a simple hand-off on a dive run up the middle, the QB cannot be expected to do much.

this.... ^^ :doh:

FanSince72
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Individual performances aside and "O-line" issues aside, our defense gave up 35 points and we allowed more WIDE OPEN receivers to catch 20-yard passes than any defense referred to as "professional " ought to allow.

It seems as if the teams we play all have some kind of sixth sense about what we're going to be doing on D and that has been the case since last season.

I know it's blasphemy but MAYBE --- just MAYBE it's time for LeBeau to move on and to get someone to replace him who has a better idea of how the modern game is played.
It seems to me that our Defense is stale and we seem to take the same approach to every game. There's no "freshness" and there doesn't seem to be any adjustment being made during the game.

LeBeau is (was) a great coach but everyone loses a step eventually and I think we need to stop treating him as if were a deity and that everything he does is beyond question or criticism.

OK, that's my two cents...

So let's hear how I'm a clueless "hater" and have no right to criticize "Saint Richard".

Sixburgher
09-13-2011, 11:09 AM
So let's hear how I'm a clueless "hater" and have no right to criticize "Saint Richard".

Oh, you will. Believe me, you will. The "company line" around here seems to be to blame the "mongoloid" of an offensive coordinator for everything, from what I've seen.

Steeldude
09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Individual performances aside and "O-line" issues aside, our defense gave up 35 points and we allowed more WIDE OPEN receivers to catch 20-yard passes than any defense referred to as "professional " ought to allow.

It seems as if the teams we play all have some kind of sixth sense about what we're going to be doing on D and that has been the case since last season.

I know it's blasphemy but MAYBE --- just MAYBE it's time for LeBeau to move on and to get someone to replace him who has a better idea of how the modern game is played.
It seems to me that our Defense is stale and we seem to take the same approach to every game. There's no "freshness" and there doesn't seem to be any adjustment being made during the game.

LeBeau is (was) a great coach but everyone loses a step eventually and I think we need to stop treating him as if were a deity and that everything he does is beyond question or criticism.

OK, that's my two cents...

i agree. i think lebeau become complacent. his schemes are bland and lack the aggression they once had. he is going to have to be more complexed and aggressive with harrison ailing. i have no faith in woodley doing anything. he should have been all over the field since he received his absurd raise.

the steelers needs to start implementing younger players as the starters or at least sub them in more often. hood should not be on the bench for 85% of the game. gilbert should start over scott. it couldn't possibly be any worse.

i am not overly happy with arians either. what is it with that bubble screen he is so in love with? he needs to do quick slants and for pete's sake use miller in the passing game. another thing, it's usually pretty obvious when the steelers will run

FanSince72
09-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, you will. Believe me, you will. The "company line" around here seems to be to blame the "mongoloid" of an offensive coordinator for everything, from what I've seen.

Hey, I don't think that Arians is any prize either. He seems to come up with just one game plan and then makes 16 copies of it and that wraps up the season, so he's in my dog house as well.

But the offense didn't give up 35 points -- the DEFENSE did and there has to be a reason for that.

You know, there WAS a time, long ago, when we could just show up in our black jerseys and flash our four SB rings and other teams would dive under a table just because we were the Pittsburgh Steelers. We got by on that rep well into the 80's and even into the early 90's even when we weren't much more than a mediocre team.

But those days are gone and there's a helluva lot of talent out there today and what's more -- teams are not intimidated by our name or by our presence as they once may have been and we (just like everyone else) have to play each team as if they were our arch rivals and we're simply not doing that.

I know everyone hates Bellichik but dammit, that guy gets it done week after week and year after year and if our coaching staff would take the time to study the way he and the Patsies prepare for each individual game, we could be invincible.

queeg
09-13-2011, 12:09 PM
i agree. i think lebeau become complacent. his schemes are bland and lack the aggression they once had. he is going to have to be more complexed and aggressive with harrison ailing. i have no faith in woodley doing anything. he should have been all over the field since he received his absurd raise.

the steelers needs to start implementing younger players as the starters or at least sub them in more often. hood should not be on the bench for 85% of the game. gilbert should start over scott. it couldn't possibly be any worse.

i am not overly happy with arians either. what is it with that bubble screen he is so in love with? he needs to do quick slants and for pete's sake use miller in the passing game. another thing, it's usually pretty obvious when the steelers will run

Ben was doing quick release short passes....a new look in offense for a short time. Due to blitzes running back or tight must help block and we cannot Ray Rice them putting pressure on their one demensional(run) backers....Baltimore can be scuttled with screens and short stuff. But you got to keep at it...

truesteelerfan
09-13-2011, 02:13 PM
How about this for a solution....The OL simply needs to improve...brining back Adams perhaps for LT, and put Gilbert at RT? As far as defense goes....use the same philosophy Balt used against us....blitz, blitz, blitz, and the opposing QB will have the same scared look Ben did last week- its hard to throw when you're running for your life.

Fire Arians
09-13-2011, 02:42 PM
How about this for a solution....The OL simply needs to improve...brining back Adams perhaps for LT, and put Gilbert at RT? As far as defense goes....use the same philosophy Balt used against us....blitz, blitz, blitz, and the opposing QB will have the same scared look Ben did last week- its hard to throw when you're running for your life.

we did blitz, unfortunately our defense went back to the 'velcro blitz' which defenders latch on to a blocker instead of rushing the quarterback

TRH
09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
a couple things i came away with...

--even though Ben did not have a great game, i agree with what some have said....any QB in the game who doesn't even have time to hand the ball off is in BIG trouble. If Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers was our QB on Sunday...they would have played the same way and almost got killed. It's funny listening to people say Ben's not "elite" and all that BS...if you watch THOSE guys play, they have all day long and then some more to stand back there and think..and move...and throw. Heck, they drop back, look around, sit down and eat a sandwich, then get up and find a receiver. It's ridiculous.

--Tomlin may be in charge, but it's Arian calling the game. Another poor, predictable game. I thought this was going to change?? Tomlin is responsible, though, and this has been going on for some time now. When you're calling the plays almost dead accurately from your couch...there's a problem.

--OL, broken down, injured, can't block, gets run over, etc, etc, etc. I WISH we had even an average OL.

--I was one of the ones who called for Farrior and Foote to go after last year. For all of you who just HAD to have Farrior stay, this is what you get. I don't know whats so hard to understand...he's too old for that position, slow, and now getting abused. Hope you're happy. They're both here. I don't care if Farrior is a "leader" and a "captain". Then take the old man out and make him a coach.

--Ben's going to be lucky if he doesn't get an arm or a leg broke and soon, maybe even worse. No question, its coming.

--While i'm not yet going to come down on Harrison, he looked old out there. He was huffing and puffing wind all day. I understand the back injuries he has and i will say even though he didn't look good....his effort and intensity was huge.....we need that from the other guys

--Where was "big-contract" Woodley?

--Hood needs to play more. Didn't he prove that last year?

--Even though Mike Wallace couldn't "break" any big ones, he, like Harrison, gave huge effort and looked like one of the only few ones even trying Sunday

--We continue to make Terrell Suggs look like a cross between Hercules, the greatest football player who ever lived, and a rabid African lion. We have zero answer for him. Every game.

Rick5895
09-13-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree to a small degree that our D packages are somewhat stale, but the schemes work and have worked in the past. Maybe I saw something no one else did, but for craps sakes our D was slow, and not just the old guys. Troy was out of it, Timmons played like he didn't know where he was (McKinnie kept getting to him and blocking him for crap sake) and Woodley was 2 steps behind everything. if our young studs (Timmons/Woodley) keep playing like that it won't matter what D we throw out there we are going to suffer.
I would like to see Allen, Brown and Lewis on the field , see what they can do and infuse some speed and youthful enthusiasm into our defensive schemes. I think BMAC should move to safety and gay can come in and blitz, something he does well.
We will be ok, I still think this ratbird fiasco was an aberration.

Steel Peon
09-14-2011, 09:05 AM
--Where was "big-contract" Woodley?
I just read "The Wooden Dong" report:
http://www.stillers.com/articles/2647.aspx

Fire Arians
09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I just read "The Wooden Dong" report:
http://www.stillers.com/articles/2647.aspx

dong sack! lol

steelcity1974
09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm by no means qualified to tell Lebeau how to run his D, but I said before the game that the key was to stop Ray Rice. If Troy is going to be as invisible as he was on Sunday, wouldn't it just make sense to have him shadow Rice the entire game? If it were me, I'd have Troy mark him like stink on $#!t on every single play. If that takes Troy out of the game, peace...at least it takes Rice out as well. And then I like our chances with the other 10 v 10 on the field.

lipps83
09-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey, I don't think that Arians is any prize either. He seems to come up with just one game plan and then makes 16 copies of it and that wraps up the season, so he's in my dog house as well.

But the offense didn't give up 35 points -- the DEFENSE did and there has to be a reason for that.

You know, there WAS a time, long ago, when we could just show up in our black jerseys and flash our four SB rings and other teams would dive under a table just because we were the Pittsburgh Steelers. We got by on that rep well into the 80's and even into the early 90's even when we weren't much more than a mediocre team.

But those days are gone and there's a helluva lot of talent out there today and what's more -- teams are not intimidated by our name or by our presence as they once may have been and we (just like everyone else) have to play each team as if they were our arch rivals and we're simply not doing that.

I know everyone hates Bellichik but dammit, that guy gets it done week after week and year after year and if our coaching staff would take the time to study the way he and the Patsies prepare for each individual game, we could be invincible.

I know I am going to get crap for this, but I think Harbaugh is a pretty damn good coach and the Ravens are going to be contenders for some time.