PDA

View Full Version : mendenhall only in for 20 of 61 snaps

tony hipchest
09-12-2011, 10:53 PM
not 20 rushes. not even 20 touches. he was only in the game for 1/3 of the offensive snaps.

infact a running back was only used on 35 of the total offensive snaps, and mendenhall didnt even see the field after the 38th.

the steelers have no offensive identity other than being a sack/interception/fumble waiting to happen.

an offensive coordinator should try to play to his teams strengths, but he only seems focused on playing to bens strength (which is scrambling and ad libbing to save his life).

everyone knows our o-line is more adept in run block as opposed to pass blocking, otherwise we wouldnt constantly scout out supposedly agile, atheletic, pulling linemen.

an identity crisis paralyzes our offense especially vs a team as familiar with us like the ravens.

arians "trick them with every personell package under the sun" is totally predictable.

five 350 lbs tubs of lard would have ben looking like troy aikman, mendenhall looking like emmit smith, and wallace blowing m. irvin away.

instead we will try to fool the opponents by passing with a run blocking line, and instead of scheming for opponents and actually relying on our coaches to gameplan and outsmart them, place a games outcome soley on the physical capabilities of the atheletes.

i sure hope gary kubiak or norv turner get fired so we can finally have a real offensive coordinator when brucie hangs em up.

its pathetic when even chan gailey can look like a miracle worker, while our guy is still tripping over his feet, talking about a pony backfield.

LMAO! thats the greatest joke ive heard since john kuhn was released.

JustinM
09-12-2011, 10:59 PM
maybe we purposely lost this one so we can KILL the Ravens next time we meet up. I mean we only need so many wins to advance to the playoffs...why show any or all of your cards right up front??

ricardisimo
09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
That's pathetic, especially considering that running back is the one position that most requires reps and getting into a rhythm. Win or lose, there was clearly no intention of accentuating the run game. I wonder how Art feels about being disobeyed right now.

Sixburgher
09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
everyone knows our o-line is more adept in run block as opposed to pass blocking, otherwise we wouldnt constantly scout out supposedly agile, atheletic, pulling linemen.

In 2005, maybe. This line does nothing well. It's composed of Pouncey and four stiffs.

ricardisimo
09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
In 2005, maybe. This line does nothing well. It's composed of Pouncey and four stiffs.
Yes and no. Colon and Kemo were known as run blockers for years.

Fire Arians
09-12-2011, 11:07 PM
i wonder what the percentage rate of sacks/interceptions happen from the empty backfield set, seems like if there's no running back to help out against the pass rush, ben doesn't even have 2 seconds to throw the ball

tony hipchest
09-12-2011, 11:13 PM
maybe we purposely lost this one so we can KILL the Ravens next time we meet up. I mean we only need so many wins to advance to the playoffs...why show any or all of your cards right up front??lol... i like your way of thinking.

whaitaminute... bruce, is that you?

That's pathetic, especially considering that running back is the one position that most requires reps and getting into a rhythm. Win or lose, there was clearly no intention of accentuating the run game. I wonder how Art feels about being disobeyed right now.

they arent disobeying the boss. remember? according to bruce, the boss didnt say to run the ball more, but more "effectively".

mendenhall certainly was effective in the SB and our most recent ravens game (where bruces hairbrained schemes and lack of a fullback werent getting him killed).

this is where bruce is a genius, plotting to get the ball out of the fumble machines hands and into the guy who will throw interceptions while under duress. :doh:

i would prefer he just defer to the special teams coach and punter. atleast their unit seems to be functioning somewhat normally and sane.

tony hipchest
09-12-2011, 11:21 PM

ricardisiomo is spot on.

i dont care if our o-line is primarilly known as c0ck blockers....

having mendenhall in for only 33% of total offensive snaps is assinine.

abandoning the fullback position altogether is one thing. but giving up on a working running game seems retarded.

i'll even give m. moore credit for looking pretty good on his 2 plays until his cold hands coughed up the ball.

MACH1
09-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I really, really hope this is arians last year.

The game was not out of hand when he abandoned the running game.

tony hipchest
09-13-2011, 12:18 AM
whats funny is airhead typically abandons the running game to deflect attention from himself. ben and pouncey are golden, so nobody wants to blame them for mendehall being smothered by ngata before he even had the ball.

and of course, arians lacks any bit of accountability. he runs his mouth at any given opportunity, but ive never heard him shoulder the blame for anything. he lets tomlin or the players carry that burden.

its just like him abandoning the run in last years superbowl when it was his hybrid wannabe 270 lb TE fullback who whiffed on a block, allowing mendenhall to so graciously fumbnle.

ggoldman
09-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Mendenhall must get at least 20 touches a game, he can make things happen with the ball in his hands. Would it kill Arians to run a RB screen one of these days?

ricardisimo
09-13-2011, 01:10 AM
I really, really hope this is arians last year.

The game was not out of hand when he abandoned the running game.
Dude, the game hadn't even started when he abandoned the run. He abandoned the run like three years ago.

MACH1
09-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Dude, the game hadn't even started when he abandoned the run. He abandoned the run like three years ago.

:toofunny:

Wallace108
09-13-2011, 01:34 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... we win in spite of Bruce Arians, not because of him. Mendy looked good early. Redman and Moore had some nice runs. It was clear we were able to run the ball. But we didn't even bother because that goes against BA's philosophy.

I know what Arians apologists are going to say ... the defense sucked as well. So where's the hatred for LeBeau?

LeBeau deserves some criticism, but there's nothing he can do to make the players younger and faster. There's nothing he can do to make McFadden better at covering. Overall, LeBeau does a great job of taking advantage of his players' strengths and covering up their weaknesses. We know our secondary sucks, yet year in and year out, we always have one of the top defenses.

And we know our O-line sucks, but year in and year out, do we have one of the top offenses? No ... because Arians refuses to take advantage of his players' strengths and try to cover up their weaknesses. Arians is on record as saying he doesn't change his game plan or philosophy based on who is playing, even if starters are out with injuries. He's stubborn. He has his plays and he's going to run them, regardless of the talent he has to work with. I know our O-line sucks. You all know our O-line sucks. Arians knows our O-line sucks. Yet he won't change his strategy. Like he said himself, he won't change based on the players he has to work with.

Here's a sampling from an ESPN story from 2008. Does it sound familiar?

The Steelers won't change their scheme much to accommodate the new starters, but in any case they need to get better at what they already do. Coordinator Bruce Arians has taken some heat for his play calling, and rightfully so. Against blitz-happy Philadelphia and Baltimore defenses the last two weeks, he didn't do enough to aid an offensive line that struggles in protection and a quarterback who tends to hold on to the ball a beat or three too long. To preserve QB Ben Roethlisberger, give the linemen a hand and make the most of Moore's abilities, Arians needs to use more screens, draws and the like against pressure defenses (the Jaguars and Giants, two of the Steelers' next three opponents, certainly qualify).
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/400/scouts-inc-injuries-hurt-but-won-t-break-steelers

Not much has changed.

And for the Arians apologists who point out that he helped get us to two Super Bowls and win one, let's remember ... the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as QB. I'm certainly not going to put Dilfer in the same league as Joe Montana.

JustinM
09-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Mendenhall must get at least 20 touches a game, he can make things happen with the ball in his hands. Would it kill Arians to run a RB screen one of these days?

x2 on the screen. Mendenhall's hands can't be THAT bad and I'm sure he (Mendenhall) is smart enough to run a screen play.
And God knows I could use some more points in my Fantasy league (i drafted Mendy).

JustinM
09-13-2011, 02:50 AM

Maybe we abandoned the run because we lost Bettis? Just food for thought.

SH-Rock
09-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Does it matter to run when you are down 35-7? The running game is away to move the chains slowly while the passing game is to get those big plays in a flash. You have to look at the circumstance.

Steeldude
09-13-2011, 05:58 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Zzs_-gctsmA/TawVzXa7wNI/AAAAAAAAAb8/R6NmuFz_7ow/s1600/pickingnames.jpg

it's another case of arians offensive game plan

Steeldude
09-13-2011, 06:02 AM
LeBeau deserves some criticism, but there's nothing he can do to make the players younger and faster. There's nothing he can do to make McFadden better at covering. Overall, LeBeau does a great job of taking advantage of his players' strengths and covering up their weaknesses

he could put the younger faster players in the game more often.

he could bench mcfadden.

lebeau is covering up their weaknesses by running a bland and passive defense. without a healthy harrison he isn't going to be able to generate any pressure/sacks. no one else on the team an rush the passer like harrison. woodley is overrated. he got his new contract and is still loafing around the field.

Fire Haley
09-13-2011, 08:42 AM
not 20 rushes. not even 20 touches. he was only in the game for 1/3 of the offensive snaps..

Oh yeah - down by 4 TD's and you want to run the ball?

I agree, they should have kept running down by only 2 TD's, but Ben's swollen head wouldn't allow it. He kept pumping the ball to his new love, Antonio Brown, 9 attempts, 2 catches for 14 yds.

MACH1
09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Does it matter to run when you are down 35-7? The running game is away to move the chains slowly while the passing game is to get those big plays in a flash. You have to look at the circumstance.

What about 14-7 or 21-7? The game was still manageable then.
Running the ball also helps to keep that gawd awful D off the field.

effyou515
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
whats funny is airhead typically abandons the running game to deflect attention from himself. ben and pouncey are golden, so nobody wants to blame them for mendehall being smothered by ngata before he even had the ball.

and of course, arians lacks any bit of accountability. he runs his mouth at any given opportunity, but ive never heard him shoulder the blame for anything. he lets tomlin or the players carry that burden.

its just like him abandoning the run in last years superbowl when it was his hybrid wannabe 270 lb TE fullback who whiffed on a block, allowing mendenhall to so graciously fumbnle.

i sure do miss the run blocking FB who catch a pass out of the backfield instead we have a TE playing FB that can't block or catch a pass

Steelersfan87
09-13-2011, 01:58 PM
You think Vonta Leach is a better pass catcher than David Johnson? Or are you just making crap up because you're upset like half of this forum does?

BritishSteel
09-13-2011, 05:09 PM

True, but you don't put a back on the field just to call a run play on every down. We had an O-line that couldn't block water, so it's no surprise that every time we went empty set, the Ravens brought the house. Hell, they brought it when there was a back on the field, but they was no reason to slacken off with 4 wideouts and two ends on the field. go man coverage on the wideouts and you know that the two TE are gonna have to block (or try to, in Johnson's case) so you've got two linebackers you can be creative with. Which is what the Ravens did. At least with one back in, you've got a chance of giving Ben a second extra to make a play, or the D has to keep a linebacker or the nickelback behind the line for the potential delay.

If we played more no-huddle, and had a decent TE to go with Miller then the empty set might work better, but when your taking delay of game penalties and calling timeouts cos the play clock is down to zip, all the empty set does is give a team on D against a team with a crappy O-line time to confuse - and that's all Ben looked all afternoon. If I could see it 3000 miles away, why couldn't the coaching staff?

ricardisimo
09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Exactly, and Mendy is a pretty nifty blocker, can catch well, and obviously knows how to run. He's also a first round pick. You'd think they'd want to play him.

fer522
09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
if our OC sucks ass and i know he does
why doesn't Tomlin do something about it
are they.. you know :hug: friends with benefits :noidea:

SH-Rock
09-13-2011, 06:16 PM
What about 14-7 or 21-7? The game was still manageable then.
Running the ball also helps to keep that gawd awful D off the field.

That is true, but remember Ngata's FF and Lewis's INT. Then you were down 29-7. By a whopping 4 scores. With about 12 min in the third left. And seeing how are defense couldn't stop squat, they needed those big plays so they can hopefully catch up to the Ravens.

I liked the game plan in that situation, just not how it was executed.

SH-Rock
09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
True, but you don't put a back on the field just to call a run play on every down. We had an O-line that couldn't block water, so it's no surprise that every time we went empty set, the Ravens brought the house. Hell, they brought it when there was a back on the field, but they was no reason to slacken off with 4 wideouts and two ends on the field. go man coverage on the wideouts and you know that the two TE are gonna have to block (or try to, in Johnson's case) so you've got two linebackers you can be creative with. Which is what the Ravens did. At least with one back in, you've got a chance of giving Ben a second extra to make a play, or the D has to keep a linebacker or the nickelback behind the line for the potential delay.

If we played more no-huddle, and had a decent TE to go with Miller then the empty set might work better, but when your taking delay of game penalties and calling timeouts cos the play clock is down to zip, all the empty set does is give a team on D against a team with a crappy O-line time to confuse - and that's all Ben looked all afternoon. If I could see it 3000 miles away, why couldn't the coaching staff?

I agree, I think using the same game plan that the Ravens used would've helped. By using screens and check downs against the slow LBs of the Ravens. This would've opened up the WRs and hopefully gotten those big 50+ yard plays and somehow get us back in the game.

DanRooney
09-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Not sure what you're complaining about. Prior to Sunday the Steelers coaching staff made all of the right decisions and only you and Bruce Arians were right.

stb_steeler
09-13-2011, 06:39 PM
maybe we purposely lost this one so we can KILL the Ravens next time we meet up. I mean we only need so many wins to advance to the playoffs...why show any or all of your cards right up front??

Hello......you play to win the game....(Who am I ?)....anyhow, its a division game, those you dont want to lose......

ricardisimo
09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Not sure what you're complaining about. Prior to Sunday the Steelers coaching staff made all of the right decisions and only you and Bruce Arians were right.
That line is tired, bud. You need to drop it. Just because people point out the obvious - namely that the coaching staff is smarter than you - it doesn't mean we think they're infallible. I have dirty socks that know more about football than you; it doesn't make them infallible, and I don't ask them for advice about finances or dating... or even about football.

tony hipchest
09-13-2011, 07:28 PM

STFU assclown. youre a proven football imbecile who adds nothing to this conversation or the board in general.

plus you think that mental midget, thad gibson, is a world beater. you and him relate on so many levels.

participation charts and personell groupings are WAY too deep for you.

you might wanna move on to a captain obvious conversation that is more in your league like-

"the defense is old"
"hines ward is old"
"dan rooney is old"
"the dust in my grandmas drawers is old"
"danrooney's posts are old [and tired]"
"roger goodell sux"

:yawn:

DanRooney
09-13-2011, 10:32 PM
So what was "wrong" 3 days ago is now "obvious." lol...

tony hipchest
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
jumping off a cliff with the rest of the obvious lemmings doesnt make one "right". :coffee:

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Oh yeah - down by 4 TD's and you want to run the ball?

.mendenhall only had 12 rushing attempts (all in the 1st half) add in redmans 3 (also in the 1st half) and the steelers had 15 rushing attempts by a RB vs 42 passes.

in the meantime the ravens had 31 rush vs 29 pass.

typical bruce arians "throw 45 times in a hurricaine" offense.

take away rashard getting mugged in the backfield and he is averaging more than 4 yds pc. take away rice gashing the steelers d on the 1st play of the game and he is averaging less.

of course i dont advocate running the ball in the last minutes of a game when we are down by 4 scores and it is way out of hand.

but no rushing attempts in the entire 2nd half?

completely taking one of our major offensive weapons out of the game because of a fumble???

hell, big ben had a fumble and 3 interceptions, and charlie batch didnt even see the field when the game was well out of hand.

i dont blame the steelers coaches for the players lack of execution, but i do blame them for not playing to the players strengths.

winning or losing, the steelers gameplan was to run rashard 10-15 times, and then let ben air it out.

the lack of adjustments is what is so frustrating.

their plan was to go with whatever worked so well vs PHI & ATL in preseason scrub ball. (when other teams dont gameplan for that weeks opponent as well):doh:

3rdandlong
09-14-2011, 06:42 AM
We were running the ball so well. I never thought we'd be able to run the ball that effectively against the Ravens D. Then what does Arians do? He abandons it and spreads it out without a running back in the backfield to protect Ben. Arians needs to go!

Steelerindc
09-14-2011, 08:10 AM

PREACH!