PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Woodley

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 09:10 AM
i know a lot of you think he is a god because he gets some sacks, but i want to know what you expect out of him now since his enormous pay raise.

i expect him to be like a healthy harrison. he should be all over the field. he should command double and triple teams. he should throw aside TEs and RBs assigned to block him. i want to see diving, leaping and 101% effort on every play.

that wasn't not the case this past sunday.

Steel Peon
09-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I just read "The Wooden Dong" report:
http://www.stillers.com/articles/2647.aspx

NCBlackWolf
09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
I have said it on other threads this week. I know the whole team sucked (barring Super Dan- the punter), but Woodley was very uninspired. I tend to watch him and Harrison on most defensive plays and I just couldn't believe his half-assed playing. I am not one to bash individual Steelers but it ticked me off so much that I am typing this. I don't know about the Gildong deal but I do know that he was awful on Sunday. And, yes, I know the whole team stunk but this is a Woodley thread. I was embarrassed by his lack of motivation. Hope it changes Sunday. :tt04:

SteelCityMom
09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I tend to agree with what you're saying, right now Steeldude...and he was uninspired and flat on Sunday. If it had been just him, I'd be concerned like you. But it was also Polomalu, Pouncey, Clark...basically everyone. And while some of the older guys may not be as good as they used to be, they're still the same guys that were topping charts on defense and offense last year. There's no way I believe they lost all their talent and drive in one offseason.

I know none of these guys (except maybe BMac) are as bad as their showing on Sunday...and I know, from history, that the Ravens are not as good as their win over us.

I'm willing to give them another week or two to drag themselves out of whatever funk they were in this past week. They all could have done much better...coaches on down.

Steelerfreak58
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Besides a very few individuals the whole team came out FLAT.

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 10:09 AM
my opinion on woodley isn't based on this game alone. he has done this in many games. i never see this guy flying around.

harrison is banged up. woodley needs to earn his paycheck and step up. it's more than just sacks that makes a LB

kirklandrules
09-14-2011, 10:13 AM
i know a lot of you think he is a god because he gets some sacks, but i want to know what you expect out of him now since his enormous pay raise.

Funny, I was asking the same question of Timmons and Polamalu during that miserable performance last weekend. I like what Tomlin said when asked if he saw any bright spots from that game: "Daniel Sepulveda punted the ball well.". Basically, this entire team (coaches included) sh!t the bed.

Daysnways
09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
It takes Lamaar 10 or 11 weeks to hot up!

We should cut his yearly wage by 2/3rds.

He is just average, average isn't good enough for Steeler linebackers.

We should have let him play out this year without resigning, just to see what occurred.

We screwed up.

steelfury02
09-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I've always thought that Woodley looked a little chunky in the arms and mid-section - certainly isn't one of the more imposing outside linebackers - the guy should be much faster on the attack

It seems like every time we get into a love fest (in the media) about the Steelers in the hunt for another lombardi and how they now have a huge edge over opposing team - guess what? They crap the bed.

The saving grace to me is that it wasn't that they played bad - IMHO they just didn't seem to care all that much or were not motivated.

Danny136200
09-14-2011, 12:28 PM
the Steelers should just secede from NFL, and all players and coaches involved in last week's loss should start burger flipping at McDonalds.

tanda10506
09-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I normally love Woodley, but I dont have any tolerance for half ass efforts. Normally I think he is great, and a bad game or two is no big deal now and then for him, but half ass efforts are unacceptable. Harrison is not even 100% but his effort was twice what Woodleys was. He needs to step up.

ebsteelers
09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
lmao @ this thread... cut him, cut troy, cut the whole defense..

are we just knit picking to bitch at stuff this week?

tanda10506
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM

No, I agree a lot of people are over exagerating, but you are down playing it. It wasnt just a loss, the players were hardly even trying. Thats not acceptable, a bad game is a bad game, but when you come out and act like you dont care about the game, especially a rivalry game, thats a problem. When you just got a big contract it is even worse. 100% is the only acceptable amount of effor, win or lose. Nobody is saying anybody needs cut, maybe Gay, but they need to play all out every game.

DanRooney
09-14-2011, 01:30 PM
He disappears in a lot of games. That's the one big knock on him. He's far from a 'healthy Harrison.' He's actually more like a Clay Matthews where he lights it up in like 8 games out of the season.

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 02:04 PM

why do you want them cut? that's ridiculous

ebsteelers
09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
its called Sarcasm... the way everyone is bitching in here about how bad woodley and everyone else played.. might as well start from scratch

ebsteelers
09-14-2011, 02:45 PM
No, I agree a lot of people are over exagerating, but you are down playing it. It wasnt just a loss, the players were hardly even trying. Thats not acceptable, a bad game is a bad game, but when you come out and act like you dont care about the game, especially a rivalry game, thats a problem. When you just got a big contract it is even worse. 100% is the only acceptable amount of effor, win or lose. Nobody is saying anybody needs cut, maybe Gay, but they need to play all out every game.

were 0-1... just like the saints, giants, cowboys, falcons, etc....

i'm sure tomlin will have them ready..

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
its called Sarcasm... the way everyone is bitching in here about how bad woodley and everyone else played.. might as well start from scratch

why? is prohibited to ask people's opinion of woodley? i am don't base this on sunday's game alone. i see woodley disappearing quite often. he just received $61 million. do you think he should be all over the field?

nobody is saying or implying cut woodley, polamalu etc... my question is based on his career so far, not sunday's debacle.

i realize it was sarcasm. i was trying to show you how your sarcasm didn't apply to the question

Steelersfan87
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM

i expect him to be like a healthy harrison. he should be all over the field. he should command double and triple teams. he should throw aside TEs and RBs assigned to block him. i want to see diving, leaping and 101% effort on every play.

that wasn't not the case this past sunday.

Pretty sure he threw Dickson to the ground like a joke on his sack, so there you go. I don't expect anything more out of Woodley than he's been giving. He tends to come on later in the season, true, but normally, it doesn't really matter. Harrison and Woodley already drop back more than any other 3-4 OLBs in the league (Harrison more so), so I think that would quality as being "all over the field". He doesn't get double teams as much as Harrison, but that's because you can't double team two guys on every play.

steelfury02
09-14-2011, 06:07 PM
What is ludicrous is people thinking that a negative opinion of a player is blasphemous.
I'm sorry you can't carry on in a thread while realizing there are other opinions out there besides your own. If you think Woodley doesn't need to improve or show up more often then fine - that's your opinion. But when you respond with the same recycled smart remark you come off as unintelligent.

Take your blinders off. No one said to cut him - simply stating what I'm seeing IMHO. I've always thought Woodley could be a little quicker and leaner - that's all. If you are reading more into the comment maybe you are one of the fans that believe that beating the Seahawks is a great indicator of where we are as a team. Keep believing in fool's gold. What? You don't like me making assumptions based on your input?

Saying that the Steelers are a great team because of previous seasons and because we will probably win over lesser teams is just as ridiculous a comment as your sarcastic remark.

Relax - its a forum, not gospel.

Steelersfan87
09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Are you talking to me?

steelfury02
09-14-2011, 07:12 PM
no, to the person sarcastically stating we should cash in the season because of my negative comment about Woodley not playing hard enough and not living up to his full potential

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Pretty sure he threw Dickson to the ground like a joke on his sack, so there you go. I don't expect anything more out of Woodley than he's been giving. He tends to come on later in the season, true, but normally, it doesn't really matter. Harrison and Woodley already drop back more than any other 3-4 OLBs in the league (Harrison more so), so I think that would quality as being "all over the field". He doesn't get double teams as much as Harrison, but that's because you can't double team two guys on every play.

isn't he supposed to blow up TEs on a regular basis?

you don't expect anymore from him? i expect a LB to be all(most) over the field especially after receiving such a huge raise.

dropping back in coverage is not what i mean. how often do you see woodley on harrison's side running down players?

woodley needs to step it up in every game, not just the the last 8 where he picks up some sacks and little else.

ricardisimo
09-14-2011, 10:25 PM
My opinion on Woodley is that he is exceptionally strong, which is good and bad. Good for the obvious reasons. Bad because he hasn't yet developed any real technique, because he hasn't needed to do so; his bull rush has been just enough. The other half of his success is the fact that he plays across from Harrison. That'll pad anyone's stats.

He does seem to be steadily getting better, just not leaps and bounds - which is unfortunately what we need from him right now while Harrison's hurting.

Steelersfan87
09-15-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't have expectations of players based on their salaries.

DanRooney
09-15-2011, 01:39 AM
My opinion on Woodley is that he is exceptionally strong, which is good and bad. Good for the obvious reasons. Bad because he hasn't yet developed any real technique, because he hasn't needed to do so; his bull rush has been just enough. The other half of his success is the fact that he plays across from Harrison. That'll pad anyone's stats.

He does seem to be steadily getting better, just not leaps and bounds - which is unfortunately what we need from him right now while Harrison's hurting.

Woodley=the real one-trick pony? :chuckle:

Steeldude
09-15-2011, 01:58 AM
I don't have expectations of players based on their salaries.

that's a first. then you probably don't have expectations based on first round draft picks either.

i have expectations based on being employed and the salary. if a player is going to whine for more money then he should earn it.

it would be nice to see him put forth 100% effort.

Steelersfan87
09-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Saying that you expect more of a player because he makes more money implies that you have lower expectations for him if he makes less money. This, to me, is dangerous. I expected as much out of Woodley last year as I do this year. I expected as much out of Timmons last year as I do this year. My expectations have more to do with, you know, what I expect them to be able to do, not irrelevant factors like how much money they make.

Steeldude
09-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Saying that you expect more of a player because he makes more money implies that you have lower expectations for him if he makes less money. This, to me, is dangerous. I expected as much out of Woodley last year as I do this year. I expected as much out of Timmons last year as I do this year. My expectations have more to do with, you know, what I expect them to be able to do, not irrelevant factors like how much money they make.

no, i expect him to bring it to another level or at least put forth 100%. i expect woodley to do more because i know he can if he puts forth the effort. he is now getting $61 million. he better start running everywhere like harrison does. the steelers are going to need him to step up with the post-surgery ailments harrison is experiencing. my expectations are also on what they are able to do. woodley can do better, but he hasn't shown it yet.

i remember playing CB and the coach pulled me aside to ask me why i ran across the field when the tackle was about over. i told him i don't stop moving until i hear the whistle. i will run 50 yards across the field to help out. even if i know the carrier is pinned by 5 players i will still run full speed to that area every time. if i get tired i sub-out. there is never an excuse for loafing and watching. i don't expect woodley to do 50 yard sprints, but it would be nice to see it once in awhile.

IMO, i think he would be better if he lost about 10 pounds or so. he looks lazy/slow at times. maybe drop to 250 which i still a good weight due to his short stature.

steelfury02
09-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Thank you - I'm not the only one that thinks he could still take it to another level. That's all I'm saying - the guy has had some great performances and made some key plays in divisional games, playoffs and Super Bowl XLIII - but I can't sit here and say he can't be better - they could all be better. That does not mean I don't appreciate what they've done - just making an observation. It is hard to see a guy get a good contract and then be a non-factor in his first game since the contract. Just making comments - I have confidence that over time he'll earn the contract - just Ws against Ravens are pretty critical and to not show up the way he could IMHO was not acceptable to me.

I don't know him, I'm not his coach, and I'm not him - just stating what some other people are thinking, including myself - not to mention the fact that he was one of the guys spurting off his mouth about Flacco it just really made me feel embarrassed for him. Big contract + big talk + big loss doesn't look good. Plain and simple. He has his chance to correct it

Steelersfan87
09-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Non-factor? Woodley was definitely not one of the reasons the Steelers lost. He was one of few Steelers that had a solid game.

Steeldude, I said that "I don't have expectations of players based on their salaries", and in response you said "that's a first". So either you do judge players based on their salary or you don't. My point was that I don't expect more or less of a player based on how much money he makes or where he was drafted. Draft position and salary don't mean crap on the field. I never argued that Woodley is at the absolute pinnacle of his abilities. I just said that him making more money than he did last year doesn't make me expect more out of him than I did last year. That's because I always expect every player to do what he can. Which is why it surprises me that so many people want Adams back at RT, who routinely took plays off.

DanRooney
09-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Woodley had a solid game? 3 solo's including a Dong sack? I don't think anyone on our D had a solid game outside of Ike Taylor.

Steel4ever95
09-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I agree 100% with those of you that feel he needs to step it up since he got signed to nice new contract. I dont get to watch a lot of Steelers games since I live in Maine, but the ones I do watch he seems to always make his presence known. As for my opinion on him, he should do just fine this year, and I'm sure getting beat all over the field by the Ravens should light a fire under his butt, along with the rest of the team.

steeltheone
09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree 100% with those of you that feel he needs to step it up since he got signed to nice new contract. I dont get to watch a lot of Steelers games since I live in Maine, but the ones I do watch he seems to always make his presence known. As for my opinion on him, he should do just fine this year, and I'm sure getting beat all over the field by the Ravens should light a fire under his butt, along with the rest of the team.

He needs to do better than just fine...For the teams sake!